I really hate this idea... octopus farms

texasdago

On 2/24/2022 at 9:27 AM, troph said:

you read that book didn't you?  the soul of an octopus?  that was in the first few chapters, maybe first few pages. I used to eat octopus, loved the taste, but their intelligence level may be near that of a puppy. I just can't do it anymore.  I struggle with pork and beef that way too, but haven't pulled the trigger because, well pigs may be a filthy animal but pork tastes goooood.

I'm not going to read it but that's it... I love octopus.  I see it on a menu, there's a good chance I'll order it but I think that's going to change.  Little baby cows?  Wabbits?  Shoot... even horse (best steak I've ever had)?  Sorry... still eating.

On 2/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, troph said:

you read that book didn't you?  the soul of an octopus?  that was in the first few chapters, maybe first few pages. I used to eat octopus, loved the taste, but their intelligence level may be near that of a puppy. I just can't do it anymore.  I struggle with pork and beef that way too, but haven't pulled the trigger because, well pigs may be a filthy animal but pork tastes goooood.

Animals are sentient?

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Animals taste delicious, don’t care. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:27 AM, troph said:

I move closer and closer to being a vegetarian every day. At this point I’ll still eat chicken and pork from pasture raised producers, but that’s about it. The corporate farming methodology has really turned me off meat, especially being in the middle of Tyson chicken country and seeing the trucks on the road often. Farming octopi seems like a strange concept given what we know about how they interact with the world. We do a good job of bulldozing our way through everything though.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2022 at 12:59 AM, ztejas said:

Not sure I'd kill an octopus and eat it but I'll let someone else kill it.

I would also pass on the killing part. I have had it once. It tasted good. Calamari ( Calamaar if you’re eating at an Italian place in the city or especially Long Island) is alright, but not quite my thing. 

Can we please, once and for all, get this straight--the plural of "octopus" is not "octopi."  That would imply that "octopus" comes from Latin.  It does not.  It is Greek.
If you want to use the foreign-language pluralization of the word because you think for some reason that borrowed words need to keep their original plural form, it's "octopodes."  Or we could just follow English-language rules, since it's now an English-language word, and stick with "octopuses."  But fucking "octopi" manages to sound both pretentious and ignorant at the same time.
By the way--this also goes for "hippopotami," which you will hear occasionally.