The "PERFECT PORK CHOP" - help Roxette Win @ BBQ Austin.

ROFL BOX

ITEMS NEEDED

ITEMS PROVIDED BY BBQ AUSTIN:

Charcoal

BBQ Pit

Official BBQ Austin Jr. Pit Master Apron

Pork chop

JR. COOKER WILL NEED TO PROVIDE:

Cooking Utensils- such as Tongs, spatula, brush etc.

BBQ Rub

BBQ Sauce

Apron (if you do not want to get your Pit Master apron dirty)

Gloves or Hand Wipes

Foil

Table/ TV Tray (small table to set your supplies on)

Additional charcoal, wood chips, etc. after using ALL supplied, if necessary

. . . . . . . .

No pics of the contestant, you degenerates!

1. Let's recognize this needs to win over the judges & I'm not suggesting she cook to her tastes.

2. My preferred rub has maple brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, some garlic powder & onion powder.

- - I'm not 100% locked on that... can adjust as needed. Ideas?

3. I was gonna pre-soak some wood chips & bring that as well.

4. The chops supplied are usually decently thick, like ¾ ~ 1". Suggested cooking temp for juicy but not undercooked / not dry / won't scare off someone who thinks even a TINY amount of pink will kill ya?

- - - Suggested cooking time?

I don't want to have 30 pinholes from testing the temperature a stupid amount, hope to have the meat tested often enough BUT not start checking way too early.

We intend to GO FOR THE GOLD & will serve with USB ports added + write her initials on the Styro in an attempt to influence the judges.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Any assistance is appreciated.

. . . . . . . . . . .

https://rodeoaustin.com/events/bbq-austin/junior-pit-master-contest/

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

The best pork chop I've ever had is at Radish & Rye in Santa Fe and they brine theirs overnight.

We don't get this as an option.

. . . . . . . . .

I will probably also bring olive oil as a binder.

Something else to consider is how thin or thick the individual slices of pork chop are going to be so that all of the judges can get a taste.

I do not know how many judges there will be & if the seasoning will actually get through as a "tasted" flavor... that will partially depend on how thick they slice it (or if WE get to slice it).

I was thinking of doing a "smashed" seasoning where the olive oil is applied, seasoning added & then put it between two cutting boards & sit on the top to get the seasoning into the meat & to hold a bit better.

Should we baste @ the last part with maybe 5 minutes of direct grilling? 10 minutes?

How long to actually put on the cool zone but still stay warm? Will it end up totally cool by the time it reache the judging tent?

Lots to consider here.

do some test runs, you cheap fuck!
Had some tonight, jackass.

Doing another set on Wednesday & then again on Thursday.

Tonight was HEB's pink Himalayan salt & pepper medley off the grinder, light EVOO.

We used the basket thingies that came with my Weber, will bring them to the dealio & see if we are permitted to use them.

No sauce (she doesn't like any), no wood chips - direct on B&B Oak Lump. I got some Cherrywood chips however she is being a 17 year old & doesn't seem to even want me in the same county.whe this is cooking.

20 Seconds on 1 side, turn 90⁰. 20 more for grill marks.

Flip over, again with 20 seconds & another 20 seconds, etc.

5 minutes direct, then flip for 4 minutes.

Another 4 in the cold side & w/ the fatter part towards the heat.

Probed & came to 160⁰.

Will prob. go with one less 4 minute session or maybe hit that direct over heat down to 2 minutes from the 5 minutes.

Reverse sear. Slow smoke up to 115 degrees. Sear over hot coals or in a cast iron skillet until internal temp reaches 145. If you can't serve immediately, it probably needs to be pulled a little sooner and rested under foil.
I imagine all cuts will be totally cold by the time the judges receive the meat.
A reverse would be interesting, however I don't know if a frying pan is permitted / have to use the provided grill only.
I am bringing heavy duty foil to wrap & hold moisture as best as possible.

2 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I imagine all cuts will be totally cold by the time the judges receive the meat.
A reverse would be interesting, however I don't know if a frying pan is permitted / have to use the provided grill only.
I am bringing heavy duty foil to wrap & hold moisture as best as possible.

After the chop gets to 115 or so, pull it off and cover it with foil.  Get the coals red hot (use a separate coal chimney if possible) and then sear the chop on the grates.  Reverse sear is the best way to get the chop evenly up to the right temperature, but it might be hard to control the temp on the first part - you want to initially cook at 275 or so.  All of this might be a tad difficult for the competition.

For some reason, I now feel compelled to grill up a few pork chops.

Seems she is on this process / schedule:

Bring coal basket that we already use in my Weber.

Olive oil as binder
Salt & pepper from grinder
(Trried to get her to add some maple sugar or garlic or onion powder... refuses)

Rager of coals (provided, must use theirs). She isn't interested in ANY wood (chips, chunks, etc).

Cannot get her interested in any sauce.

I have explained that she needs to cook to the projected judges tastes & not her own, however she won't listen to that.

. . . . . . . . . .

15 seconds on side 1, rotate 90⁰...
Another 15 seconds with turn

15 seconds on side 2, rotate 90⁰...
Another 15 seconds with turn

. . . . .
3 minutes on side 1
3 minutes on side 2

Probe for 165⁰

Pull, wrap in foil.

Grand total of around 7 minutes.

If turn in is 1230, aim for turn in @ ~1227.

Put on the fire around 1215, folloq the sched. from above & pull @ 1222, wrap in our own foil & walk it to the judging tent.

Transfer at the very last moment out of our heavy duty foil into THEIR required foil & hand it in.

And that's 145 <after> resting. Trichinosis is dead after only a few min at 137, pull white meat pork at 137. Short of a blast chiller you won't be able to cool the center fast enough to NOT kill off trichinosis.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/put-chef-recommended-pork-temps-test/

Now back on your mention above of no pink allowed, can't help you there, but you will not be competitive cooking to 150+ to remove all pink. See the temp comparison photo about 1/3 down this page:

https://www.seriouseats.com/case-for-raw-rare-pink-pork-food-safety

• Hook 'Em 3

Came in too late here, but I would have spritzed the thing with orange juice to add just a touch of sweetness.   

IF the chop is all thick I am pulling before 140, 137 as others said seems about right.  The reverse sear ided is good as well.  Had a damn fine chop at Cover 2 of all places 2 weeks ago.  They Cooked Sous Vide, the slapped on the grill for the grill marks.  Meat was tender throughout.

Hope it was fun for you guys!

17 year old girl.  Insisted on doing pretty much everything to her taste & not what would "wow" the various judges.

I would LIKE to say that we had a "bonding" moment, however she spent the whole time telling me "I know - I know... just let me do it MY way!"

HEB Pink Salt & Medley Pepper (from a grinder),

No chips, no wood, no smoke, no sauce, no baste.

2 Chops, select your preferred of the ones they provided.

Turn in was stated as "1030... can be up to 10 minutes earlier, 10 minutes later" (which to me essentially says 1040, but whatever).

I tried to get her to wrap in foil for the walk to the judges tent & @ 1028... down to the wire... @ the last moment, slip it out & onto their foil (to keep as much moisture inside as was possible) however she refused that for whatever reason her brain came up with.  I mean, shit... I've only been doing this Cookoff Committee thing for 17 years now, what do I know?

Didn't place in the top 5 out of 32 contestants.  That's all I know.  I really do wish it was more of a "daughter & dad" thing, but essentially I was on hand because I had to be there vs. her going at it solo.

On 3/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Just celebrate the kid's independence.  At least she's competing in a cookoff as opposed to hanging in her room scrolling through social media or whatever the kid's do these days.

That's 90% of the other moments.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:42 PM, ROFL BOX said:

17 year old girl.  Insisted on doing pretty much everything to her taste & not what would "wow" the various judges.

I would LIKE to say that we had a "bonding" moment, however she spent the whole time telling me "I know - I know... just let me do it MY way!"

HEB Pink Salt & Medley Pepper (from a grinder),

No chips, no wood, no smoke, no sauce, no baste.

2 Chops, select your preferred of the ones they provided.

Turn in was stated as "1030... can be up to 10 minutes earlier, 10 minutes later" (which to me essentially says 1040, but whatever).

I tried to get her to wrap in foil for the walk to the judges tent & @ 1028... down to the wire... @ the last moment, slip it out & onto their foil (to keep as much moisture inside as was possible) however she refused that for whatever reason her brain came up with.  I mean, shit... I've only been doing this Cookoff Committee thing for 17 years now, what do I know?

Didn't place in the top 5 out of 32 contestants.  That's all I know.  I really do wish it was more of a "daughter & dad" thing, but essentially I was on hand because I had to be there vs. her going at it solo.

3 daughters here, all of whom pull the "I know Dad, i can do it!" line on shit they clearly can not do all the time. I just repeat over and over in my head "strong, independent woman; strong, independent woman."

Sidenote: pork chops are the most meh meat dish on the planet.

• Rage+1 1

3 daughters here, all of whom pull the "I know Dad, i can do it!" line on shit they clearly can not do all the time. I just repeat over and over in my head "strong, independent woman; strong, independent woman."
Sidenote: pork chops are the most meh meat dish on the planet.

Unless you have top drawer old timey pork, about the only thing more meh grilled is a veal chop.

However, a pork chop brined in seasoned buttermilk and fried is one of the better things to eat.

I did this with my granddaughter.  We had a good time prepping for it.  She competed in the Jr. division.  Didn't place but like I said, had a good time anyway.  The only thing I did was just make sure she was on target with cooking times.  I was proud that she did not need a blow torch to get the fire going.   It was both our first times doing something like this.  

As the father of two daughters, your first goal as a father is to prevent your daughter from becoming known as the blowjob queen!

The bad news is the father of the blowjob queen rarely knows...

------ da dum-------

The main thing needed to making sure your daughters are secure is really simply to spend a lot of quality time with them.  Girls with Daddy issues are looking for one thing, love. And when young they inevitably confuse sexual intimacy with love.  But a father spending time with a child lets them know they are loved and that makes them vastly more likely to be confident and secure, and thus happy.

My whole thing is get your kid involved in SOMETHING!!!!  Because if not they will get involved in something (you probably won't like).  Do a cook off, take a hike, fly a kite, rent a canoe, coach a team, support their interests, sports, desires,  let them take chances, let them know that ALL IMPROVEMENT come from MISTAKES!  I also think that for girls team sports give them a better body image perception.  Simply as that everyone's body is not an insta edited selfie. 

I could just put some cross sear lines on both sides with a hot fire and then move indirect and smother the fire.  I would also not likely use a temp gauge, I would take more risk and go by touch simply not to lose any juice.  Then rest it, and race it to the table.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I agree with @horn4life.  I am very proud of my son, but my relationship with his older sister was life-changing from birth.  She was the epitome of a "daddy's girl".  My wife was actually jealous for a few years.

She's now a college soph, and is killing it at UT, all the while playing in two bands and working a restaurant job.  Saturday morning she called me and asked if Mom was around, I said no, she's still sleeping, and she said good, I need your advice.  We spent the better part of an hour talking about her relationship with her boyfriend -- she's rarely gone a month without a serious boyfriend since middle school -- and it was pretty detailed stuff.  Trust, intimacy, etc.  I can't tell you how grateful I am that my grown daughter feels comfortable talking to her Dad about that kind of thing.

She can't cook a pork chop for shit, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

My whole thing is get your kid involved in SOMETHING!!!!  Because if not they will get involved in something (you probably won't like).  Do a cook off, take a hike, fly a kite, rent a canoe, coach a team, support their interests, sports, desires,  let them take chances, let them know that ALL IMPROVEMENT come from MISTAKES!  I also think that for girls team sports give them a better body image perception.  Simply as that everyone's body is not an insta edited selfie. 

This.  Get them involved.  Cultivate their interests.  I like to tell my granddaughters to find things to get involved in like theater or music or arts\crafts.  Something that they can do the rest of their lives.  

I will also say be more honest than you think you should be.  I was off the hook crazy when I was young.  Very luckily I did not permanently damage my life as I danced along the edges of the cliffs.

I saw a LOT, as from time I was 13 or 14 I was hanging with the older kids.  While I want to protect them from some of the experiences I saw people go through, I think it's also important to not pretend you were never a kid with poor judgement.  Some of the biggest bible thumping parents I know were frigging coke heads (from my perspective) in college.  The actually pretend that they were never who they actually were.

They need to know that you are human, and that they can come to you when they need help.  They may not want to, but when the shit hits the fan, it's better to let me know at the earliest moment than when it's too potentially too late.  

I have always preached that "Everyone makes mistakes! The Secret is not to make the big ones!"  Because of my coaching background I do honestly believe that embracing mistakes as a part of the progression to achievement is especially important. That's why I am mentioning it twice! 😉 As in today's instant gratification society, I think too many kids think of mistakes as some sort of grievous error rather than a learning process.  NOBODY is a natural, people are naturally more gifted in some ways than others, but greatness can only be achieved through endless repetitive mistake making.  Each mistake brings an adjustment, and improvement. Practice only makes you "perfect" after making uncountable mistakes that drove you to improve.