2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

26 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

hypothetically……

+14.5 ppg offensively (improved OL) 

vs

-9.5 ppg defensively (improved defensive)

The +5.5 is the no brainer choice

Where did those numbers come from?

How do you think an improved OL is adding over 2 TDs a game from last season? How could that even be measured given the changes all over the offense including QB?

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah well a defense that gave up 50+ to Kansas is a bigger issue imo. A defense that blew multiple second half leads. 

This.  I don't know how you fix 2nd-half collapses, but that's what we need to fix.  If it's just a matter of depth, we're fucked.  If it's PK, we're less fucked (GP).  If it's SS, well, I guess we're fucked, but it seems he's more focused on the offense.

And then there's the matter of shitty DE, LB and to some extent DB play.  

Happy Easter!

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That works for any group. Offense is 95 Nebraska, sure that will help the defense. If the defense is the 85 Bears, that will help the offense. Being elite on any side is beneficial. The point was the offense was not terrible last year, despite the warts. The defense was bad. I don’t understand the general idea among Texas fans that the offense must be held to a higher standard than the defense 

I’m not necessarily holding any one side of the ball to a higher standard. My decision was solely based on me believing one accounts for a greater benefit in point differential opportunities 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That works for any group. Offense is 95 Nebraska, sure that will help the defense. If the defense is the 85 Bears, that will help the offense. Being elite on any side is beneficial. The point was the offense was not terrible last year, despite the warts. The defense was bad. I don’t understand the general idea among Texas fans that the offense must be held to a higher standard than the defense 

This just isn't true. The offense if you take out only 2 explosive plays per game is one of the worst in the country. They were awful outside of the big play for the most part. K state was better offense without the explosive plays than they played pretty much all year except against tech. 

Looking at box scores and overall stats doesn't tell the real story and hides the warts. They aren't solid on offense, they are explosive, and explosive gets flukey and causes a lot of strain on the defense to play well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Where did those numbers come from?

How do you think an improved OL is adding over 2 TDs a game from last season? How could that even be measured given the changes all over the offense including QB?

#’s were merely a hypothetical (that I personally feel isn’t far fetched). 

Although I do believe this offense will be better than last years, my +14.5ppg was my assessment on what this years team would be able to accomplish with an unimproved line vs an improved one. I don’t believe it’s too far fetched to think that an additional TD per half can be obtained with decent OL play vs subpar OL play. 

Edited by The Deuce

38 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree with depth concerns on defense -- staying healthy will be a factor in their level of success.  Offense has to be better at time of possession and scoring (especially in the 2nd half of games) for this 2022 Texas team to get to 9-10 wins.  

This team needs to become more successful and dominant in the 2nd half of games -- really "put their foot on the throat" of their opponents.  Let's beat a lot more teams by 15pts or more !!!

We don’t have the team to step on the throat of pretty much anyone on the schedule minus maybe ULM. The defense is excessively porous and the offense is inconsistent. They should be better on both accounts this year, but we’re still a year or two away from suffocating anyone in the second half of pretty much any game.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

We don’t have the team to step on the throat of pretty much anyone on the schedule minus maybe ULM. The defense is excessively porous and the offense is inconsistent. They should be better on both accounts this year, but we’re still a year or two away from suffocating anyone in the second half of pretty much any game.

we're a season away from suffocating ourselves if we have another shit year.

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

This just isn't true. The offense if you take out only 2 explosive plays per game is one of the worst in the country. They were awful outside of the big play for the most part. K state was better offense without the explosive plays than they played pretty much all year except against tech. 

Looking at box scores and overall stats doesn't tell the real story and hides the warts. They aren't solid on offense, they are explosive, and explosive gets flukey and causes a lot of strain on the defense to play well. 

You can’t do that. 2 explosive plays is 14 points. That is like Barry Sanders wasnt a great RB, if you take out a couple great runs a game. The offense was an inefficient, big play offense. You would love to be efficient and explosive, but that is asking for elite. The defense was inefficient and lacking big plays. You can have inefficient defense that causes big plays (TFLs and turnovers) and be respectable. 

Just now, The Deuce said:

#’s a merely a hypothetical (that I personally feel isn’t far fetched). 

Although I do believe this offense will be better than last years, my +14.5ppg was my assessment on what this years team would be able to accomplish with an unimproved line vs an improved one. I don’t believe it’s too far fetched to think that an additional TD per half can be obtained with decent OL play vs subpar OL play. 

Humor Boomer GIF

Just creating a fabricated hypothetical out of thin air without basis in reality or evidence does nothing. 

Last year the offense averaged 35.25 ppg. Your hypothetical is that only an improved OL would take them to 50 ppg on the season. 

The number 1 scoring offense last season was Ohio state at 45 ppg. So your hypothetical states not only would an improved line make Texas the highest scoring offense in the country, but by a massive 5 points per game difference. I think everyone can see that's ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You can’t do that. 2 explosive plays is 14 points. That is like Barry Sanders wasnt a great RB, if you take out a couple great runs a game. The offense was an inefficient, big play offense. You would love to be efficient and explosive, but that is asking for elite. The defense was inefficient and lacking big plays. You can have inefficient defense that causes big plays (TFLs and turnovers) and be respectable. 

When we lost games, its because we were going 3 and out for large parts of the game. On offense, outside of running back and some games at receiver, we were average to weak. The defense collapsed in part because of it.

We’re looking at improvements on offense at receiver and tight end and probably at QB.

We’re counting on freshmen at QB, oline. Not good.

We also need something at Edge. I think secondary and linebacker have hope. But defense has a long way to go because they were bad.

8-4 means we’re in business

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

When we lost games, its because we were going 3 and out for large parts of the game. On offense, outside of running back and some games at receiver, we were average to weak. The defense collapsed in part because of it.

We’re looking at improvements on offense at receiver and tight end and probably at QB.

We’re counting on freshmen at QB, oline. Not good.

We also need something at Edge. I think secondary and linebacker have hope. But defense has a long way to go because they were bad.

8-4 means we’re in business

You can say that, but like OU game Texas had 2 3 outs in the second Half and blew a huge lead. Baylor game featured 0 3 and outs in the second half and blew a lead. OSU you have good a case. I think inefficient and explosive was the ceiling. Texas had mediocre OL and poor QB play. That is not a recipe to develop an efficient offense. I don’t see that changing next year, until at least week 5-6. That is why the defense will be the key, especially early. They need to be respectable. You can also flip that coin and ask how many 3 and outs did the defense force in the second half of games 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t understand the general idea among Texas fans that the offense must be held to a higher standard than the defense 

I don't think the offense is held to a higher standard than the defense. Our defense was a disaster last year and, comparatively speaking, was a lesser unit when compared to our offense. However, you see more people currently freaking out about our OL than our defensive front 7 because Sark is taking steps to immediately address our defensive front 7 via the portal, while ignoring the same for the o-line. IF the tables were turned, and Sark was pushing hard for a couple of portal Offensive Tackles while ignoring DE and LB, more people would be freaking out about the D.

This is not an either/or conversation. We could still bring in Mathis, the UCLA (former Texas) LB and a couple of (average) OTs. I am still holding out hope it all happens. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

However, you see more people currently freaking out about our OL than our defensive front 7 because Sark is taking steps to immediately address our defensive front 7 via the portal

You do realize that outside of Mathis, who isn’t even committed here, Sark has done nothing with the front 7 through the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I mean yeah, I am asking for elite. I don't think this team can win with it's shit defense without an elite offense. It would be a dream to have elite on both sides, but at least 1 side needs to be elite and the other side mediocre if this team wants to with a big xii title.

Everything else is just 7-5 so they don't miss another bowl. If they win 5 games again this year then the program implodes and sark is toast. 

30 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Humor Boomer GIF

Just creating a fabricated hypothetical out of thin air without basis in reality or evidence does nothing. 

Last year the offense averaged 35.25 ppg. Your hypothetical is that only an improved OL would take them to 50 ppg on the season. 

The number 1 scoring offense last season was Ohio state at 45 ppg. So your hypothetical states not only would an improved line make Texas the highest scoring offense in the country, but by a massive 5 points per game difference. I think everyone can see that's ridiculous. 

You can think it’s ridiculous all you’d like. I see it as a plausible situation. You can say that I’m drinking too much kool aid or whatever, but I’m of the opinion that we’ve increased talent/weapons on the offensive side in multiple positions. Of course, my assessment has a caveat in which we cannot sustain significant lengthy injuries to key players. 

Texas averaged 45ppg last season prior to Casey being injured (as well as J Whitt). With limited weapons to pick up the slack, our production suffered .

This seasons offense will have more playmakers/weapons vs last season IMO. 

1st 6 games last year (healthy Casey and J Whitt): 13 three and outs

last 6 games (post injuries): 28 three and outs

Yes….. I do believe the offensive output you deem to be ridiculous is achievable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

You do realize that outside of Mathis, who isn’t even committed here, Sark has done nothing with the front 7 through the portal.

I do realize that. However, there are legitimate reasons for optimism regarding Mathis and Caleb Johnson. The point is this....Sark is trying in regards to improving the defensive front 7 via the portal. If we were to miss on both of those guys, and other options hit the portal at DE and LB, I fully expect Sark to try for them as well.

Sark really believes in the guys we will be starting at OL this season. He has ignored the o-line in the portal for 2 off-seasons. Maybe he is right and I am wrong. Sark does know exponentially more about football than I ever will...and he is betting his job on these guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean yeah, I am asking for elite. I don't think this team can win with it's shit defense without an elite offense. It would be a dream to have elite on both sides, but at least 1 side needs to be elite and the other side mediocre if this team wants to with a big xii title.

Everything else is just 7-5 so they don't miss another bowl. If they win 5 games again this year then the program implodes and sark is toast. 

That was my point. People are holding the offense to a completely different standard. It’s ridiculous to expect a an elite offense with a freshmen QB. Maybe they look like that late, but you have to expect some bumps on the road 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

That was my point. People are holding the offense to a completely different standard. It’s ridiculous to expect a an elite offense with a freshmen QB. Maybe they look like that late, but you have to expect some bumps on the road 

We can't expect an elite defense with a bunch of shitters, so offense is all we have to expect anything from. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

You can think it’s ridiculous all you’d like. I see it as a plausible situation. You can say that I’m drinking too much kool aid or whatever, but I’m of the opinion that we’ve increased talent/weapons on the offensive side in multiple positions. Of course, my assessment has a caveat in which we cannot sustain significant lengthy injuries to key players. 

Texas averaged 45ppg last season prior to Casey being injured (as well as J Whitt). With limited weapons to pick up the slack, our production suffered .

Yes….. I do believe the offensive output you deem to be ridiculous is achievable. 

That has a lot to do with a back end loaded schedule. Played one decent defense in the 1st 6 games, Arkansas, and that was an offensive abortion

also, Quinn Ewers is not a freshman, he's a sophomore and on top of that if you listened to the most recent interview he actually acknowledges something very important - Ryan Day and Steve Sarkisians playbooks aren't really all that different, but there is different naming conventions for the same schemes. 

It's not the exact same scheme, but it would be like going from a leach offense to a riley offense or a leach offense to a kingsbury offense. It's pretty fucking close.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

We can't expect an elite defense with a bunch of shitters, so offense is all we have to expect anything from. 

Texas should never be a below average unit in the Big 12. Getting the defense to even average last year, probably means 3 additional wins. That is where the ceiling of this year comes down to, can Texas at least be a top 5 defense in the Big 12

Kinda interesting that TCU had a crappy defense too yet we’re messing our drawers at the prospect of adding a dude that regressed from the prior year from their team.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

also, Quinn Ewers is not a freshman, he's a sophomore and on top of that if you listened to the most recent interview he actually acknowledges something very important - Ryan Day and Steve Sarkisians playbooks aren't really all that different, but there is different naming conventions for the same schemes. 

It's not the exact same scheme, but it would be like going from a leach offense to a riley offense or a leach offense to a kingsbury offense. It's pretty fucking close.

He hasn’t played. Came in late last year to OSU and basically missed camp. He isn’t a freshmen, but he has little experience and 1 camp under his belt. I hope he it’s the ground running, but I think it will take at least a few games to see him get comfortable 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Before injuries occurred, Texas had an elite offense last year. The QB for that team had 1 collegiate start and had from January-start of season to learn the playbook.

Unless you are insinuating that Casey is just on a different level than our current QB room, I fail to see why someone like Quinn would not be able to atleast replicate what Casey was able to do

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Kinda interesting that TCU had a crappy defense too yet we’re messing our drawers at the prospect of adding a dude that regressed from the prior year from their team.

That entire team checked out after Casey moonball Thompson somehow beat them despite only throwing 3 passes past the line of scrimmage in the second half.

The Ochaun Mathis of last year still improves this defense. If he starts reverting back to what he showed in 2020 that’s even better. That’s how bad the edge play was.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Before injuries occurred, Texas had an elite offense last year. The QB for that team had 1 collegiate start and had from January-start of season to learn the playbook.

Unless you are insinuating that Casey is just on a different level than our current QB room, I fail to see why someone like Quinn would not be able to atleast replicate what Casey was able to do

Texas never had an elite offense and Casey was 23 old player with 4 years in the system. Don’t confuse SOS with elite offense 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

You serious?

Why do you think we just completely collapse in the second half.  They make adjustments.  We roll into 3-4 3 and outs in a row.  Defense gets tired and we end up losing 5-6 games that we had huge leads on because of second half collapses because the offense only runs 1 good play well.

1 minute ago, FartingMonk said:

Why do you think we just completely collapse in the second half.  They make adjustments.  We roll into 3-4 3 and outs in a row.  Defense gets tired and we end up losing 5-6 games that we had huge leads on because of second half collapses because the offense only runs 1 good play well.

Nothing that happened on offense last year in the second halves had anything to do with trying to slam our head against a wall trying to run the same play. That’s a lazy take and Tom Herman isn’t our coach anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Texas had 42 ppg in 2020 not 45

Your whole argument was OL improvement alone would get the offense of 2021 to 50 ppg and defensive approvement would save 9 ppg. That has nothing to do with 2022 since the personnel is different including a change at QB which can be argued is more influential to scoring offense numbers than OL. You're trying to change it to compare apples to oranges once actual data blew your hypothetical out of the water. 

Still clinging to an obviously false narrative shows you're dug in and refuse to see your flaws. So be it. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nothing that happened on offense last year in the second halves had anything to do with trying to slam our head against a wall trying to run the same play. That’s a lazy take and Tom Herman isn’t our coach anymore.

It was Bijan getting hit in the backfield or a qb running around and attempt a deep ball to Worthy.  That's our entire second half offense

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas never had an elite offense and Casey was 23 old player with 4 years in the system. Don’t confuse SOS with elite offense 

Casey entered the Arky game and proceeded to go on back to back 10+ play 75yd TD drives.

From that point up until the OU game in which he was injured, the drives he QB’d led to 23 TD’s vs 8 punts (6 of this punts coming vs OU).

You can attribute the stellar #’s to the opponents lack of defensive quality all you want, but Casey had the offense rolling when he was healthy.

yes, Casey was older in age…. But he didn’t have 4 years in the system (as you are claiming). Quinn will have the same amount of time to learn Sarks system as Casey did. Casey had 1 career start. Talent of Quinn > Casey

That entire team checked out after Casey moonball Thompson somehow beat them despite only throwing 3 passes past the line of scrimmage in the second half.
The Ochaun Mathis of last year still improves this defense. If he starts reverting back to what he showed in 2020 that’s even better. That’s how bad the edge play was.

He’s worth an add, but checking out is not a positive. Regression is not a positive but certainly can be corrected. Maybe a change of scenery provides a bump too.

There’s quite a bit of guilt by association when already on our team versus little responsibility if playing elsewhere. If he repeats his production from last year, he is no use to us. He averaged 1 sack per 145 pass rush attempts. Ovie and Ben Davis were both better than that. That is modestly better than Thornton.

30 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Because once Whittington got hurt we lacked a WR outside of Worthy that was any good. Teams generally doubled Worthy and dared Thompson to beat them. He couldn't. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Casey entered the Arky game and proceeded to go on back to back 10+ play 75yd TD drives.

From that point up until the OU game in which he was injured, the drives he QB’d led to 23 TD’s vs 8 punts (6 of this punts coming vs OU).

You can attribute the stellar #’s to the opponents lack of defensive quality all you want, but Casey had the offense rolling when he was healthy.

yes, Casey was older in age…. But he didn’t have 4 years in the system (as you are claiming). Quinn will have the same amount of time to learn Sarks system as Casey did. Casey had 1 career start. Talent of Quinn > Casey

So garbage time Ark was the lift off? How about the wretched display vs TCU? The fact is Rice was 110 in DFEI, TCU was 116th, and Tech was as 100th. Oklahoma was 56th. That is where you are basing your elite offense from. 

The backend featured #2 OSU, #8 Baylor. At this point it was “OH no, we suck again”. #22 ISU, #32 West Virgina, and #16 KSU. There was the return to elite offense vs #126 Kansas. 

the explosion on offense started, because Texas ran for 1035 yards between rice, TCU, and Tech. It continued when Texas ran the ball well vs OU and it abruptly ended when OU shut the running game down in the second half 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Because once Whittington got hurt we lacked a WR outside of Worthy that was any good. Teams generally doubled Worthy and dared Thompson to beat them. He couldn't. 

He was a major loss, unfortunately we can not call that loss a fluke 

Even for the football board, there are some embarrassingly bad football takes here today.

The offense stagnates in the second half, therefore it must be because they run the same play over and over?

If you slash 14 points and 100 yards from our PPG totals, we have one of the worst offenses in the country?

JFC people get it together

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Piggy backing on the depth concerns on defense. We will need more capable players on defense this year than last due to the increased number of high tempo offenses we will likely face. 

YUP... https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game#:~:text=College FB Team Plays per Game , 97.0 42 more rows

Gonna be a lot more plays/gm to defend in 2022

• blOU -- Jeff Lebby           80.5 plays/gm   (#4)
  • tech -- Zach Kittle            77.2 plays/gm    (#14)
  • wvu -- Graham Harrell     76.4 plays/gm    (#17)
  • tcu -- Sonny Dykes          75.5 plays/gm    (#25)
  • UTSA -- Jeff Traylor         73.8 plays/gm     (#30)

2021 Stats 

TEXAS --  SARK                68.8 plays/gm     (#80)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

i believe he is a redshirt freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We suck dog shit and will continue until we get some depth that isn’t stacked with spineless pussies. A defense with any kind of pulse and a secondary that could spell football would have given us 9-10 wins 

Our roster will be 40% new compared to last year.

2 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Who's calling it a fluke? We do have better options going into this coming season with Neyor and Billingsley.

I didn’t say anyone called it a fluke. That was merely a statement acknowledging JWhitt’s injury history. I am not sure those guys are better. Healthy Jwhitt was a good player and consistent. You can’t say that about Billingsley. Neyor maybe that guy, but he hasn’t proven it vs P5 competition. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Agree for the most part, but wasn’t a big part of the flukiness the fact that Casey would miss every other wide open deep throw by 10 yards? A guy that can regularly hit wide open guys will make a big difference. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I didn’t say anyone called it a fluke. That was merely a statement acknowledging JWhitt’s injury history. I am not sure those guys are better. Healthy Jwhitt was a good player and consistent. You can’t say that about Billingsley. Neyor maybe that guy, but he hasn’t proven it vs P5 competition. 

I feel pretty confident that both are a big upgrade over Joshua "shit for brains" Moore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic