NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

12 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Thank you to you and everyone else who I think is involved with TOF. @RGBIII@SydneyCarton@immamacand whoever else is involved on this board in the heavy lifting. The unsung heroes.

@SquishMitten is the fucking hero of NIL. @GlenFromTheMailRoomwas also there 

12 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Agreed! Thank you to everyone who is involved with Texas NIL on this board. The collective “you” have built a force to be reckoned with.

@closetojumping, I know the parties listed above have discussed some of the process in bits and pieces on the board, but I’d (and I’m sure many others would be interested and appreciative) love to read a rundown of the history and the process flow of y’all’s Texas NIL efforts in more depth. I know y’all cant disclose everything, but any information would be valued. 

I’ll write something at some point or let CTJ do it. It’s pretty absurd honestly

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've talked about this when it pops up in other forums like baseball or the other sports one, but I may never have gone into any detail here, so bear with me.

LSU and OU are probably the two best examples of handling limited in NIL in a highly productive manner. Here's what I mean:

Both of these schools came to the realization at some point in the first year of NIL that they were simply not going to be able to compete in NIL against all comers in all sports. They realized this through the lens of football, and soon sorted what the numbers would have to look like everywhere. Very few schools could make the effort to work on NIL against all comers across all sports. More on those later.

So what did they do? They both knew they couldn't avoid football, as their institution and major donors and students cared more about that sport than anything. So for football, they've largely adopted a "target of opportunity" approach and competed where they thought they had a shot of winning whether due to Texas/Georgia/Ohio State/ATM looking elsewhere or because they had a competitive advantage, such as the player being from Louisiana or a legacy or a big fan of cajun food and abject corruption. 

Outside of football, they've chosen to apply significant NIL pressure to the sports in which they are actively competing for national titles and the enthusiasm from the opposition is measured.

OU chose, outside of constant efforts addressed already for football, to focus on gymnastics and softball. Anything else like baseball or golf has to hunt for its own support however that coach can find it. Softball at OU is a machine. They may reel off UCLA basketball from the 60's numbers for the next decade (UT may well do this in volleyball in the same span). They've had national title success in a regular manner in gymnastics too. They're doing what they can to ensure they're as good as anyone in NIL in those two sports.

LSU's work has been more driven by serendipity than anything. Livy Dunne is hotter than Georgia asphalt and was a social media star ahead of NIL. Vuori and several other brands were on her early and she's been the top NIL earner across all sports for years now. That allowed the rest of the gymnastics team to draft off of that success and they're supposedly in good shape across the board there. Marucci being based in BR and run/backed by LSU people allowed baseball to be gifted $1M a year from the jump. Texas NIL has been busting its ass from an NIL perspective in baseball and might be in second nationally, but that is a tough hump to jump each cycle for that sport. There is word that LSU is trying to take the same approach in women's basketball now, but this is a poor institution with poor backers compared to most of their national competition. Gymnastics and baseball are a lot of heads to count and cover for LSU, plus limited football means, making other sport NIL dominance mostly fantasy. 

Many other schools are working with this same approach out of necessity, and it is a slog for most of them. 

There are also many schools that have only nominal offers in NIL to provide athletes in any sport, until an athlete becomes a true star that attracts boosters or corporate. 

There are schools that are by and large just focused on making sure they can compete with anyone in football and/or basketball. Georgia, Alabama, USC, Tennessee, UNC, UK, UH, etc. Those are kind of easy to spot in either sport.

Then there are the few schools that are able to at least pursue the ambitious goal of being able to take on all comers in every sport. Texas*, Stanford*, Oregon**, Ohio State. Those are the ones I know of, and maybe I am forgetting someone. 

Finally, corporate is a big deal when it can be accessed. The post above has a tweet talking about corporate being less than 10% of the NIL nationally and I'll argue that isn't true generically for all programs. Texas is accessing corporate well and that is a growing, important element. Most of LSU's non-football NIL is purely corporate if you count Marucci as such. Anyone with a Heisman candidate is accessing corporate NIL.

*Rowing has like 45 participants. T&F has a shit ton too. Helping with NIL there is basically stipend inflation. T&F gets help in global corporate ways too for the best programs.

**As long as Knight is alive and cares, Oregon has an ATM for NIL. Problem for Oregon will always be that, well, they're grounded in Eugene, Oregon. While you or I may aspire to live somewhere like that, it's just not a big city, bright lights, with beaches and bitches nearby kind of place. 

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Posted this elsewhere but saying it here:

Some of us just sorted a whole bunch of NIL stuff for the 2024 cycle for Texas football on behalf of everyone else. Texas roster management is elite in CFB at this point. Everyone should sleep easy about transfers and people leaving.  Other schools, almost all of them, cannot say what I just said.

Praise be to Sarkisian, Billy Glasscock, Brandon Harris, Texas BMDs, CDC, the TOF and some random, ragtag rapscallions who had the audacity to say “fuck it, this is happening and we are doing this motherfucking thing and damn the consequences”, and Bobby Burton.  

It’s posts like these allowing us normal fans a glimpse behind the curtain that allow me to tolerate your terrible takes on the formative comedies of my childhood. Thanks for all you do. 

• Haha 6

On 1/24/2024 at 1:06 PM, RGBIII said:

Former Texas Athletes have given some, some at levels non commiserate to their career earnings but still have given. Also CJ is the best

@RGBIII - Does the collective think that younger pros who benefited from NIL in School will be more in-tuned to give to NIL?   Seems like someone like Bijan who was on the front of the Texas wave would be a likely participant.  Any insight if AD/Foundation try to route them a different direction?  

2 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

@RGBIII - Does the collective think that younger pros who benefited from NIL in School will be more in-tuned to give to NIL?   Seems like someone like Bijan who was on the front of the Texas wave would be a likely participant.  Any insight if AD/Foundation try to route them a different direction?  

RGBIII can give his own thoughts as requested, but remember not to fan-up when it comes to former players and things like NIL. Bijan has an agent that isn’t the kind of guy to be giving much away to anyone outside of the Bijan camp. Arch Manning isn’t at Texas for another year of backing up because he has an undying love for Texas. On and on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Looks like we will be seeing a lot more of these.  Itkin and Arnold just won $2.5 Billion in a Round-Up lawsuit (link below).  Even if I disagree with the litigation, hopefully they put a little into the TOF.   

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia/roundup-philadelphia-verdict-monsanto-bayer-jury-20240129.html

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF 

Plonsky thinking about join the NCAA Investigative group, just to investigate Tenn, and get in on that action.

For  the record Plonsky has not even been the slight bit of hindrance since the initial rules came out. Once she adjusted, she got it. Compliance is not an issue in the slightest and if anything, they save us from ourselves

1 minute ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Looks like we will be seeing a lot more of these.  Itkin and Arnold just won $2.5 Billion in a Round-Up lawsuit (link below).  Even if I disagree with the litigation, hopefully they put a little into the TOF.   

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia/roundup-philadelphia-verdict-monsanto-bayer-jury-20240129.html

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Hook 'Em 6

It is possible to think the NCAA is filled with turds, and also be confident that Tenn violated what little rules there are?  That is how I feel when I read these headlines.  I mean fuck the NCAA, but also fuck people who still can't do shit the right way when it is easy to legally pay players.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

For  the record Plonsky has not even been the slight bit of hindrance since the initial rules came out. Once she adjusted, she got it. Compliance is not an issue in the slightest and if anything, they save us from ourselves

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I was just referring to her wanting to get in on the action, if sucking Donde's cock was an option.

On 1/26/2024 at 10:19 AM, Jimmy Two Times said:

This is pretty interesting, have you heard that Stanford is ramping up NIL operations to compete in football? As far as I can remember, they've only really landed a few guys from Mater Dei who were sought after nationally in the last few recruiting cycles and obviously they have to battle probably the toughest admissions hurdles of any P5 program. 

Like closetojumping said, NIL is not as big of a part of the allure of coming to Stanford as opposed to other programs (e.g., Texas A&M). However, organizations like Lifetime Cardinal have started to pick up steam and there's an extremely wealthy core of alumni that are dedicated to making sure that Stanford Athletics exists and is good. It's slowly starting to make a difference from what I have heard.

I think Stanford fans are hopeful about football though. (I think the men's basketball coach should be fired, so I don't feel particularly hopeful about that.) Taylor seems to be a decent coach and there is a good amount of excitement among alumni/fans/donors about him. I think Stanford's most recent recruiting class is actually quite solid considering the (abysmal) state the team was left in after David Shaw resigned (almost all of the starters transferred) and the rebuild will just take time. Although the admissions hurdles are not ideal, I am bullish on Stanford football eventually returning to its heyday (consistent top 25 program with flashes of brilliance).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

RGBIII can give his own thoughts as requested, but remember not to fan-up when it comes to former players and things like NIL. Bijan has an agent that isn’t the kind of guy to be giving much away to anyone outside of the Bijan camp. Arch Manning isn’t at Texas for another year of backing up because he has an undying love for Texas. On and on. 

well, since you're wrong, he admitted that Texas was the school he always wanted to go to, so I would go out on a limb and say he does have love for the school. He admitted so at the press conference before the CFP. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
God fucking Christ iPhone spelling is the worst

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

4 of the top 5 posts on the CFB subreddit are about this Tennessee situation. Seems like its definitely about to come to a tipping point.

image.thumb.png.483581ba7ee3f45a51c93076592363f7.png

It might be, but it's also January 31 and there's not a lot of other college football news to talk about 

We’re looking at the sports equivalent of a constitutional crisis. With the Jeremy Pruitt stuff, this same Tennessee administration self-reported and fully cooperated with the NCAA investigation because they knew Pruitt had broken all kinds of clear rules and did it badly. Now, they have apparently looked into these allegations and are confident they did nothing wrong. The NCAA may have picked a fight they don’t want to have if this works its way through the courts and some legal precedent gets established. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

The NCAA may have picked a fight they don’t want to have if this works its way through the courts and some legal precedent gets established. 

If that's the case, then it was just a matter of time, and from their perspective the sooner the NCAA learns this the better so no real harm done. But Tenn's claim to be shocked (shocked, I tell you) to find out that boosters weren't allowed to be officially involved in the recruiting process is fucking bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

We’re looking at the sports equivalent of a constitutional crisis. With the Jeremy Pruitt stuff, this same Tennessee administration self-reported and fully cooperated with the NCAA investigation because they knew Pruitt had broken all kinds of clear rules and did it badly. Now, they have apparently looked into these allegations and are confident they did nothing wrong. The NCAA may have picked a fight they don’t want to have if this works its way through the courts and some legal precedent gets established. 

The reality is that the NCAA is fighting a losing fight and they have no business doing so. Trying to wring punishments out of NIL handling is laughable. Once paying players for NIL became permissible, the NCAA would have been far better off trying to tackle other issues. As it stands now, and where this is going, it just looks like the NCAA has a real fucking problem with (mostly) white wealthy patrons of schools gladly paying (mostly black) young adults while schools wind up paying nothing and happily letting their teams go where NIL, in part, takes them. Peoples' and families' lives are being changed fundamentally across the country with this work by collectives and businesses. So who the fuck is losing or hurting in all of this? Only the dickless institution attempting to stay relevant.

The NCAA will get mudhole stomped in the courts. At some point soon, the media is going to start asking the same question, under the same observations, that I just did, and we're going to help them get there on this. This whole thing is fucking stupid at this point. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 7

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

This is somewhat disingenuous. Tennessee wanted to get rid of Pruitt for on-field results, and was willing to burn down their reputation and take the penalty to get rid of him. If he was winning SEC Championships, they would never have self-reported any violations.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Interesting thoughts from a former college coach. Prob goes in the football board but I'm too lazy to find a thread for this.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39429573/sources-packers-hire-boston-college-jeff-hafley-dc

Hafley had resisted prior NFL coaching opportunities in the past. But his reasons for taking this coordinator job are rooted in both the overall state of college football and the opportunity to work for one of the NFL's most respected franchises.

"He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football," a source told ESPN. "College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There's no time to coach football anymore.

"A lot of things that he went back to college for have disappeared."

• Like 1

x-posting here but the original NCAA release on NIL.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/6/30/ncaa-adopts-interim-name-image-and-likeness-policy.aspx

image.png.45f03cc486e3da7fc431820aea8042c5.png

Here is the clarification of interim rules released a year later. 

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/10/26/media-center-di-board-approves-clarifications-for-interim-nil-policy.aspx

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I went to Texas for undergrad and Stanford for my PhD. It's a blessing to be a (huge) fan of both!
I worked there doing grant-based research in the late 90s. I saw many baseball games at the Sunken Diamond and sadly our loss there in football.

The Rodin garden rocks, and the Thai they used to serve out of the Psych or PolySci basement. I worked at Encina Hall looking out into the half of the building condemned from Loma Prieta quake. That was a rude sensation thinking about quakes.

On 1/31/2024 at 5:32 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

well, since you're wrong, he admitted that Texas was the school he always wanted to go to, so I would go out on a limb and say he does have love for the school. He admitted so at the press conference before the CFP. 

NIL for UT back qb and love for the school can be true at the same time but business is business. y'all are both right of course 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 5:32 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Since the other guy quoted you, I assumed you must have posted at me earlier in the week. Sure enough.

This is one of the many reasons I have you on ignore and view your existence on this site as pure bandwidth drain. 

People with even room temperature IQs or better could read what I wrote and understand that I wasn’t stating that the guy didn’t love UT. Somehow, nonetheless, you chose to interpret the post as me positing that Manning has only a singular issue for why he is on campus. 

And let’s be clear as you read this to yourself out loud and slowly, what I said about NIL is absolutely correct. It’s the largest driver for Manning sticking to the plan at this point. I fucking know because I’ve had to fucking know as everything came together. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 6:15 PM, TexMexBuddha said:

I worked there doing grant-based research in the late 90s. I saw many baseball games at the Sunken Diamond and sadly our loss there in football.

The Rodin garden rocks, and the Thai they used to serve out of the Psych or PolySci basement. I worked at Encina Hall looking out into the half of the building condemned from Loma Prieta quake. That was a rude sensation thinking about quakes.

It's a small world - cool to see another Cardinal on this board too. I bike past Encina Hall pretty much every day and have been to a number of football, basketball, baseball, and volleyball games during my time here, including the Stanford vs. Texas super regional and Stanford vs. Texas women's volleyball game from the past year. Unfortunately, I think the Thai place you're talking about has closed down, but I've heard from many people that it was to die for.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:30 PM, texifornia said:

Didn't expect this collab tbh

Well this is interesting. I believe that is an F-84E, which is the jet my dad flew in Korea. Who would have thought that I’d see that scrolling an NIL thread. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1