NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

BTW, I’ve said this before, and I’m sure I’ll be a broken record about this. The one thing the schools/NCAA can do is help create transparency. Their puny efforts at putting guardrails on NIL aren’t going to do anything. The best they can hope for is have no enforcement on NIL deals whatsoever, but go after any NIL deals that aren’t being run through compliance and entered into a publicly available database, 

It would do a number of things, most important of which is showing everyone the numbers involved in a documented way, so a legitimate response based on facts can be generated. But the secondary effect will be to create an enforcement tool. Think of it as enforcement going after a criminal for not paying taxes on their ill gotten gains versus going after a conviction on the criminal activity that originated it. The problem is right now there’s not a good reporting mechanism. It’s hearsay, social media posts disclosing deals and their amounts, and some ad hoc public announcements. Throw some light on the subject. Threaten a player’s eligibility if they don’t report NIL deals through their school’s compliance office. Threaten schools with sanctions if they don’t submit those deals into the official database. 

Right now that’s the best we can hope for. Nothing seems to be getting done on that front, and that’s the one achievable objective the NCAA and member institutions could have. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

They might not get punished by the NCAA but I could see the bluebloods of college football acting in concert to bring those dumbfucks down.

How do you envision that transpiring? They going to meeting them to death?

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That pc was greatness. Overtly threatening Saban and Bama is an interesting choice, especially when you are provably guilty as fuck. 

Fisher is crazy enough and aggies are dumb enough to take info from Fisher and go start digging trying to show proof of Saban’s dirtiness. They just might succeed in alienating everyone in college athletics and wind up being forcibly thrown out on their ass from the SEC. They can’t help themselves. 

Bryce Anderson’s family didn’t take a dime during his recruitment. I will laugh my ass off if Fisher and the aggie PR team try to trot him, and the few other highly ranked guys that they didn’t actually pay, out in front of the cameras to attest to the aggie recruiting sanctity. Those parents all now know that other players’ handlers got paid. You think they want to look like chumps?

Hell, Walter Nolan got $750k and that dumbfuck’s family is already trying to renegotiate their deal. This could wind up imploding gloriously. Denver Harris’ mom got $50k the first day he went to class. Evan Stewart wound up with half a million. Aggies would be well advised to shut the fuck up and hide in the shadows after all of that. But, no, they can’t help themselves. They NEED everyone to believe they were clean and above board when, absurdly, they know for fucking certain that they weren’t. Insane. 

Early indication is guys they did pay are speaking already and touching on the subject.

image.png.2f5e3a926bcbd83f0bb984b289006b25.pngimage.png.62a807a8797cba6ab61e854faedd537f.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

image.png.6219fec242893f41ff184f19731f0e44.png

If the NCAA wants to tackle anything, how about the unofficial visits going on? It’s a known industry standard in football to pay for kids to come on as many unofficial visits as they can get them in for. And not just the kids. Big dollars being paid for anyone who gets them to campus, too, whether it’s HS coaches/assistants, trainers, 7 on 7 coaches, parents, stepparents, friends of the family. Whomever. 

That was one of Mack’s bigger downfalls, He wouldn’t give people gas money to drive recruits to Austin. “It’s against the rules.” Meanwhile Alabama is throwing around 5 and 6 digits just to get the players on campus. And this is back in the late 2000s. 

I don’t know why any of this amuses you. nothing will happen to a&m and they are assembling and will continue to assemble an elite roster. they have money and will continue to pay. jimbo can say what he wants, college station will support him unapologetically, and they’ll keep pushing it until they are in the playoff and maybe even win one. and then they’ll be exponentially more insufferable than they ever have been. there isn’t anything to like about any of this. 

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That pc was greatness. Overtly threatening Saban and Bama is an interesting choice, especially when you are provably guilty as fuck. 

Fisher is crazy enough and aggies are dumb enough to take info from Fisher and go start digging trying to show proof of Saban’s dirtiness. They just might succeed in alienating everyone in college athletics and wind up being forcibly thrown out on their ass from the SEC. They can’t help themselves. 

Bryce Anderson’s family didn’t take a dime during his recruitment. I will laugh my ass off if Fisher and the aggie PR team try to trot him, and the few other highly ranked guys that they didn’t actually pay, out in front of the cameras to attest to the aggie recruiting sanctity. Those parents all now know that other players’ handlers got paid. You think they want to look like chumps?

Hell, Walter Nolan got $750k and that dumbfuck’s family is already trying to renegotiate their deal. This could wind up imploding gloriously. Denver Harris’ mom got $50k the first day he went to class. Evan Stewart wound up with half a million. Aggies would be well advised to shut the fuck up and hide in the shadows after all of that. But, no, they can’t help themselves. They NEED everyone to believe they were clean and above board when, absurdly, they know for fucking certain that they weren’t. Insane. 

Feels like this was a trap by Saban to get Jimbo to unnecessarily get the turrets pointed to  College Station. It appears to have worked so far. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Feels like this was a trap by Saban to get Jimbo to unnecessarily get the turrets pointed to  College Station. It appears to have worked so far. 

By turrets you mean the water pistols? The NCAA is a swat team composed of an amalgamation of Barney Fife and Gomer Pyle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

But, no, they can’t help themselves. They NEED everyone to believe they were clean and above board when, absurdly, they know for fucking certain that they weren’t. Insane. 

This goes to the core of the collective Aggie psyche. It's not enough for them to believe that CS is a transcendent, magical place and that, all things equal, they would sign every one of the top 25 players every year. They need everyone else to believe it too.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Nick Saban knew exactly what he was doing. Yes, they do the same thing but now all eyes are on Aggy. Difference is that Alabama can control the message, Aggy I guarantee will screw it up. I mean they got lane in it now too. Somebody go stick a mic in mike leach’s face please.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Aggy I guarantee will screw it up.

how?  kids like money.  they don’t care about the opinions of middle-aged men.  aggy will keep paying and keep getting kids to come to school. 

Edited by futureman

17 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

By turrets you mean the water pistols? The NCAA is a swat team composed of an amalgamation of Barney Fife and Gomer Pyle. 

They're a factor but I really meant the other major schools and fan bases have their sights set on College Station now

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Saban's turn.

I have a hunch neither of these two know when to shut up.

Saban will probably somewhat walk back his comments and frame it as commentary on the post-NIL landscape and not A&M doing anything illegal (which of course everyone knows is bullshit, but whatever it’s college football). Nothing will happen to A&M, and anyone hoping otherwise probably thinks Waddle is on his way to Austin.

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Saban will probably somewhat walk back his comments and frame it as commentary on the post-NIL landscape and not A&M doing anything illegal (which of course everyone knows is bullshit, but whatever it’s college football). Nothing will happen to A&M, and anyone hoping otherwise probably thinks Waddle is on his way to Austin.

"If they didn't buy their class why are they coming after me like this?"

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I don't think he will. He wouldn't say what he did if he wasn't looking for a response. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Deion didn't pay him a million dollars - Barstool did.  But I love that Deion is 'denying' Hunter got paid to play at FCS.

Thought the barstool story was fake?

I underestimated just how redneck Jimbo is. That was the most redneck press conference I have ever watched.

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, NevaLost said:

Q: Coach does it frustrate you to have to defend your players? 

"I'm not defending my players because there's nothing to defend."

Q: Coach what will you say to your players about this? 

"Just know that I will defend you." 

Jimbo doth protest too much, methinks

37 minutes ago, pacman said:

Thought the barstool story was fake?

I underestimated just how redneck Jimbo is. That was the most redneck press conference I have ever watched.

that was because it can't be announced before he enrolls

55 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

They're a factor but I really meant the other major schools and fan bases have their sights set on College Station now

You mean A&M might become a laughingstock? 

Are you familiar with br’er rabbit and the briar patch? That’s not a punishment. That’s exactly where the Aggies feel most comfortable. The whole institution’s culture is based on victimhood. 

In the end other programs are going to have to outspend A&M. With no salary cap or any other limitations. That’s the only real way this is going to be impacted. Waiting for someone else to do something, or for the rest of the SEC being mad to have some kind of effect, is kidding ourselves. Thankfully we have folks on our side trying to address that, otherwise we’d truly be proper fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1