2018 NCAA Regionals Thread

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

agree to disagree. They will be fine to pitch next week but that doesn't mean their arms are fresh. 

Look, I don't totally disagree with you. 

Because of what he did this weekend, I don't think you can expect Travis Moths to throw a 120-pitch game next weekend, but given the format, I don't think you'd try to get that out of him anyways. 

But if they somehow pull this next game off, I'd expect their game plan next Friday to be for him to throw 6 innings (which he'll be able to do) and then go to their closer if they have a lead. 

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

K! Bulldogs win. 8-1

Two years in a row...fitting back after losing the first game.

3 super regionals in a row. 5 in the past 8 years. 

Congrats on fighting through. That walk-off lit a fire for the team. Special thanks should be sent to Mike Martin.

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

He's kind of right on this though, at least when it comes to pitching.  Ole Miss should be sending the ball boy out to pitch right now.

True. But this is a mere one time in a dozen where Greenspoint has concluded “ballgame” and not have it blow up in his face. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This guy has pitched 1 (ONE) inning all season.

Disclaimer: I am a huge fan of strict pitch counts.

But when you're 20-21, you can do anything, and you recover sooooooooo quickly.  None of this is going to affect TNTech pitchers next week.  It might do long-term damage, but they'll be fine if they need to pitch next week. 

That's the horrible dichotomy for college coaches.

See Graham, Wayne.

Correct. It’s not like we’d be playing them Wednesday. They’ll be fine for Super. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

agree to disagree. They will be fine to pitch next week but that doesn't mean their arms are fresh. 

They are 20-21. Even if we play Friday, most who pitched today would be fine to start. Certainly Saturday. A 35 yo major leaguer can do that. 

12 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

True. But this is a mere one time in a dozen where Greenspoint has concluded “ballgame” and not have it blow up in his face. 

People that do this should be rounded up and fired directly into the sun. It is so fucking annoying.

15 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

They are 20-21. Even if we play Friday, most who pitched today would be fine to start. Certainly Saturday. A 35 yo major leaguer can do that. 

In all the years I've been watching college baseball (30 some odd), I don't recall a pitcher, or his coach, use the prior week not to pitch the following week.  Or used it as an excuse for a poor performance.  Absent injury, of course.  Correction, I think Austin Wood took a break after 169 though, but I could be wrong EDIT, I am, he pitched 1/3 inning in relief against TCU  one week later.

Edited by TwiceHorn

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In all the years I've been watching college baseball (30 some odd), I don't recall a pitcher, or his coach, use the prior week not to pitch the following week.  Or used it as an excuse for a poor performance.  Absent injury, of course.  Correction, I think Austin Wood took a break after 169 though, but I could be wrong EDIT, I am, he pitched 1/3 inning in relief against TCU  one week later.

It happened this weekend and a big reason Oregon State crushed LSU. People are really undervaluing the importance of having fresh arms. LSU was busy chasing an SEC tournament title and they burned way too many arms. 

The 20-21 year old argument is nonsense in today's baseball world with how many innings most of these players are throwing in travel ball. People should go see the failure rate of pitchers in the MLB draft, it's much higher than hitters. I guarantee it has a lot to do with this very fact. That 18-22 year old arms are being overextended. 

Edited by texasstrong12

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Duke's 3 weekend starters all have era's over 5. I'm amazed this team has made it this far.

I just looked that up.  This Stallings guy came in with an ERA of 6.20, and he's a regular starter.  Reminds me of watching UGA play TN about 8 or 9 years ago.  UGA's Saturday starter was rocking an 8.60 ERA, and that's not over a couple of starts. He was truly their no. 2 starter.  Game ended up 25-10 in the Vols' favor.

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It happened this weekend and a big reason Oregon State crushed LSU. People are really undervaluing the importance of having fresh arms. LSU was busy chasing an SEC tournament title and they burned way too many arms. 

Well, Fri, Weds, then Fri, Sat or Sun. is a different deal than Monday to Sat or Sun.  And I don't think LSU had the pitching to tackle OSU under the best of circumstances.