Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

20 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

This Pac12 deal is likely not very lucrative, but I will not stand idly by while people pretend streaming isn't better than cable just because they want to get their dunks in!

It's better if everyone else starts streaming on just a couple of different platforms. It's worse if every conference gets its own streaming provider. I like watching PAC after dark, but I usually fall asleep during it and I'm not going to buy an extra package specifically to watch it.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/article/george-klaivkoff-presents-pac-12-heavy-streaming-deal--213524809/

"The Pac-12 held a meeting on Tuesday morning in which George Kliavkoff was able to finally present numbers. There were three different deals presented, but the one that Kliavkoff felt the strongest about was led by Apple with a base in the low $20 million range.

As we previously reported, the deal includes heavy incentives that are based on subscriptions directly related to the Pac-12. The base number of the deal is considerably low compared to other Power 5 conferences, but the selling point would be that if the Pac-12 hits certain subscription number, it could possibly surpass the Big 12 base. 

Sources indicate that those subscription numbers would have to be substantial in order to get to that level...."

Sounds like the weirdos who tried to get me to sell Amway back in college.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Sounds like the weirdos who tried to get me to sell Amway back in college.

"Ok, guys...it's Wednesday, which means we end practice an hour early so you all can hit the phone banks to solicit more subscriptions and get those much needed new chin straps!"

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They can have AppleTV, sure. But most of them don’t.  You probably don’t go to a lot of sports bars, I’m guessing.  

every bar I go to now, when I ask them to change the channel to the Longhorns game, it is very clear they are using a streaming service and not cable or satellite based on the interface I see. But, I live in California, so maybe we are just early adopters. If they are streaming, they have the Apple TV app.

18 minutes ago, bullet said:

The base number of the deal is considerably low compared to other Power 5 conferences, but the selling point would be that if the Pac-12 hits certain subscription number, it could possibly surpass the Big 12 base. 

Good luck with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm in sports bars all over. Most of the time, asking a sports bar employee to find a different game on a different channel is liking asking a 10 year old to get an A on a Differential Equations exam at MIT. I thinking asking a sports bar employee to find a game on Apple TV will lead to a rash of murder-suicides.

This has always frustrated the shit out of me. People come to watch your TVs. Not because your wings are just the best EVAR! Have someone that knows the game schedule for the day and how to work the got damn TVs.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Bar managers are almost always going to only show channels that they can flip through on their TV guide, because it’s quick and easy. If there’s any additional step involved, they won’t do it unless there’s enough demand/requests. Opening a streaming service app is an additional step 95% of bar managers won’t hassle with. 

19 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It's better if everyone else starts streaming on just a couple of different platforms. It's worse if every conference gets its own streaming provider. I like watching PAC after dark, but I usually fall asleep during it and I'm not going to buy an extra package specifically to watch it.

25 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I'm gonna disagree with you.  Right now, I would say cable is still better than streaming.

Cable is easier to flip between games.

Cable doesn't have buffering issues.  Some neighborhoods don't have fiber optic yet.  Some are forced to only have two mediocre internet providers.  You get the idea.

Think this is where I make my shark tank/elevator pitch for a new streaming service that bundles all the existing ones together (ESPN+, Paramount, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, etc) into 1 convenient location running on a piece of set top box hardware that has a remote that looks like this:

image.png.b858c85ebdd34d80a0a3d3cfaef4cf54.png

I'll call it: iCABLE+ and I'm asking $100 million for a 10% equity stake. No low ball offers, I know what I've got

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

every bar I go to now, when I ask them to change the channel to the Longhorns game, it is very clear they are using a streaming service and not cable or satellite based on the interface I see. But, I live in California, so maybe we are just early adopters. If they are streaming, they have the Apple TV app.

Oh, I forgot! Silly me!

Aren't the barstaff in sports bars all MENSA MIT graduate students working on 6 Ph.D.'s each? 

What? They aren't?  Well, Tarnation!  (/Sarcasm)

Lulz.

8 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Think this is where I make my shark tank/elevator pitch for a new streaming service that bundles all the existing ones together (ESPN+, Paramount, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, etc) into 1 convenient location running on a piece of set top box hardware that has a remote that looks like this:

I'll call it: iCABLE+ and I'm asking $100 million for a 10% equity stake. No low ball offers, I know what I've got

Well, I know what you don’t got. Hand me 15% to fix it.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

You know, we laugh...but think about it.  This is the logical next progression.  Everything we watch will eventually be only streaming, and then someone will come along and say, "Hey, if you get this subscription, you can access all your channels directly through one app, box, etc."

Guess what...we then come full circle back to essentially what is cable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

You know, we laugh...but think about it.  This is the logical next progression.  Everything we watch will eventually be only streaming, and then someone will come along and say, "Hey, if you get this subscription, you can access all your channels directly through one app, box, etc."

Guess what...we then come full circle back to essentially what is cable.

I joke about this all the time too but 100% agree someone is seriously gonna do this pitch and make a shit load of money by "reinventing" cable via repacking all the bullshit streaming services together eventually.

• Hook 'Em 1

For the ones here who apparently believe that watching streams found on aggregators like sportsurge is illegal... no, it's not illegal for you to watch them - it's illegal for the streamers to do what they do, and it's arguable whether sportsurge et al are breaking any laws linking to them. 

Truly, it's aggravating to have the streams stumbling, lagging, getting shut down in mid-play. But, hey, mejor que nada, no?

9 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

I joke about this all the time too but 100% agree someone is seriously gonna do this pitch and make a shit load of money by "reinventing" cable via repacking all the bullshit streaming services together eventually.

That’s what Apple tried to do with AppleTV. You go to the Home Screen and can see what episode is next in all your different app and play it from there. However the individual apps are not going to let that control go, so some apps like HBO and Netflix do not integrate others like Disney, Hulu, Paramount do. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It still blows my mind that Mandel is operating this way.  It makes sense for a west coast media guy (Wilner, Canzano, Altimore) to play to a local audience and tow the PAC party line - at least to some extent.  Why is the guy running The Athletic acting like he works for the PAC?  He's doing damage to the credibility of their entire outlet.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

For the ones here who apparently believe that watching streams found on aggregators like sportsurge is illegal... no, it's not illegal for you to watch them - it's illegal for the streamers to do what they do, and it's arguable whether sportsurge et al are breaking any laws linking to them. 

Truly, it's aggravating to have the streams stumbling, lagging, getting shut down in mid-play. But, hey, mejor que nada, no?

How can such streams be illegal if the country that hosts the site doesn't have any Internet laws, or better yet, doesn't recognize/doesn't enforce USA copyright laws?

Edited by BachelorTrek

23 minutes ago, hornbri said:

That’s what Apple tried to do with AppleTV. You go to the Home Screen and can see what episode is next in all your different app and play it from there. However the individual apps are not going to let that control go, so some apps like HBO and Netflix do not integrate others like Disney, Hulu, Paramount do. 

Prime and Hulu are doing this too. I believe if you have the advanced boxes from Xfinity you can watch several of the streaming services through your cable box (though you are actually streaming the content).

8 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

How can such streams be illegal if the country that hosts the site doesn't have any Internet laws, or better yet, doesn't recognize/doesn't enforce USA copyright laws?

Oh, I agree. You should prolly ask the guys above who don't do it because it's "illegal". Even if it were illegal for the streamer, it's not illegal to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

If they go to the full 20 then they should do 9 game division schedules.

The Big12 should jump at Arizona, Arizona St. and Utah id that happens.

I'm thinking there are 4 current B1G schools that would say screw that to being put in a division with 6 west coast schools.

26 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

It still blows my mind that Mandel is operating this way.  It makes sense for a west coast media guy (Wilner, Canzano, Altimore) to play to a local audience and tow the PAC party line - at least to some extent.  Why is the guy running The Athletic acting like he works for the PAC?  He's doing damage to the credibility of their entire outlet.  

Wasn't Mandel also the guy who used to repeatedly stick up for UCLA's god-awful attendance? Regardless, his continual shitting on the Big XII - talking about its corpse, and putting together an "analysis" of TV numbers so full of bias and errors I wasn't accept it from a freshman-level stats student, has been ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

I'm gonna disagree with you.  Right now, I would say cable is still better than streaming.

Cable is easier to flip between games.

Cable doesn't have buffering issues.  Some neighborhoods don't have fiber optic yet.  Some are forced to only have two mediocre internet providers.  You get the idea.

I have a 3 TV setup in my living room for football season. I hate that Sunday Ticket has moved to YouTube from DirecTV. Hate that I have to change inputs to my AppleTVs to flip Sunday Ticket games. Put me down for traditional satellite TV being far superior.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Wasn't Mandel also the guy who used to repeatedly stick up for UCLA's god-awful attendance? Regardless, his continual shitting on the Big XII - talking about its corpse, and putting together an "analysis" of TV numbers so full of bias and errors I wasn't accept it from a freshman-level stats student, has been ridiculous. 

Yeah, it's been strangely vindictive.  Either he's getting paid to shill for the PAC or he's developed a personal hatred toward the people of flyover country that's rendered him irrational.  

If they go to the full 20 then they should do 9 game division schedules.
The Big12 should jump at Arizona, Arizona St. and Utah if that happens.

If they go to 20 with six PAC schools it’s probably just a rotation with those six schools all playing one another and filling the four annual gaps with random B1G teams, with each B1G team getting 1-2 west coast teams a year and otherwise sticking to Midwest schools.

I wonder if the "FSU to the Big Ten" talk isn't a diversion of some sort. Doesn't that conference require new members to be in the AAU, which FSU is not? Seems like likely that the Big Ten would poach different ACC schools like UVA, UNC, GT, or Miami, or possibly other Pac-12 castaways instead.

3 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I wonder if the "FSU to the Big Ten" talk isn't a diversion of some sort. Doesn't that conference require new members to be in the AAU, which FSU is not? Seems like likely that the Big Ten would poach different ACC schools like UVA, UNC, GT, or Miami, or possibly other Pac-12 castaways instead.

A diversion made by FSU? I'm not following what the goal would be. 

15 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

No a bunch of rando dumbassess on the Internet think the have a case, FSU’s lawyers know very clearly they don’t have a case.

The Chair of the Board of Trustees at FSU said in an interview with Warchant that was linked somewhere itt "The GOR is the least of our worries."

He might be a dumbass, but he's far from a rando on the internet.

3 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

To get the SEC to extend an invite first.

They've probably talked to B1G and SEC and both said, "come talk to us once you've figured out the GoR and we'll see how things look."

Probably trying to make a lot of noice to create some FOMO to get more of a commitment from someone or at least a guarantee for membership "whenever" it can actually happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:30 PM, Deej said:

Notre Dame is the chick who thinks she's hotter than she really is, won't give it up to anyone, then realizes she's on the other side of 40.

Utah is the chick who thinks she's hotter than she is because she bagged a rich Sugar Daddy.

Problem is, he beats her and is about to file for bankruptcy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1