Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Vertigo said:

If Yormark was smart, he would take Arizona now, and then bide his time for the ACC implosion and leave 4 spots open there. 

If the ACC implodes that means the BIG and SEC are going to 20 or 24. Plenty of spots for the XII to get to that size too.

• Drool 1

I hope they publish the PAC Commissioner’s final presentation/Apple’s final offer. This is a historic case study. The PAC isn’t going to get any more dead. 

Apple has money to spend now. I hope they can hammer out some sort of partnership with ESPN. 

I think the PAC was dead USC and USC left. There’s no scenario where Oregon wouldn’t be desperate to follow them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m definitely concerned the SEC will feel the need to add a couple Big 12 schools that don’t really make financial sense just to keep up appearances

Does Kansas make sense or if football the only thing that matters?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, John80 said:

I cant see how any Big Ten fan could be excited about adding schools that aren't Notre Dame and aren't in a good recruiting area.

Fan?  If I'm an Iowa fan I'm thrilled to have roadtrips Seattle and the PNW vs. recognizable brands in UW and UO.

The Iowa Athletic Dept?  I guess it depends on how this changes their cut.

Edited by Horn of Gabriel

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

The SEC will be in a great position to grab the best ACC schools now, but will they be patient?

Truly the only option they have....unless a FSU is so desperate they sell themselves to Saudis lol

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

They don’t need to, but the Big 10 didn’t need ORWA

B1G's move kind of forces them a little but they can be patient as they are the conference putting the most players in the league and winning the championships 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Fan?  If I'm an Iowa fan I'm thrilled to have roadtrips Seattle and the PNW vs. recognizable brands in UW and UO.

The Iowa Athletic Dept?  I guess it depend on how this changes their cut.

Call me old-fashioned but I like playing schools in neighboring states. I know this an outdated idea.

17 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

I think Stanford could make a go as a football independent. I don't see how Cal could. 

Cal should consider cutting spending, joining the Mountain West and using the UCLA payments to pay down their stadium debt.

Those payments might not even cover the debt service, if they happen.

Anyone think the brilliance that was college sports, specifically football, is dying in front of our eyes? Christ.

USC/UCLA and Rutgers in the same league all because of the almighty dollar. Some EST kick offs will be midnight, or 9AM if they travel to literally cross country.

I have no idea who’s where and what now anymore. I even had to look who was even in the big12 this year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Anyone think the brilliance that was college sports, specifically football, is dying in front of our eyes? Christ.

USC/UCLA and Rutgers in the same league all because of the almighty dollar. Some EST kick offs will be midnight, or 9AM if they travel to literally cross country.

I have no idea who’s where and what now anymore. I even had to look who was even in the big12 this year.

Yes

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What has been, will be again

• Hook 'Em 1

College sports started dying when the original Big 12 splintered
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Stop this nonsense. All of the same schools are still playing football. The Rose Bowl will still exist. Oregon State will play football in a fringe conference which is where they belong. The only major change is different conference administrators will be overpaid - that's it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yeah, a lot of the charm is gone. NIL and portal hurt too, but at least that has a basis in letting students capitalize on their own celebrity. Conferences with no geographic or historical ties and a bunch of dead rivalries, that’s what sucks most. But it is what it is, just glad my alma mater is the orange OSU school that survived.

• Like 1

The ACC will be fine. If they lose anybody it will be FSU and Clemson or UNC. They will back fill with some ~50 ranked brands and continue on. There is no room in the SEC/Big10/Big12 for more than 2 schools to fit into those conferences. A P4 model fits the current trajectory of the college sports landscape better than 5 does hence the PAC murder. 

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The Big Ten can and should be blamed. The SEC remains largely regional. 

I’ll give the Big 12 a pass because they’ve been in survival mode for the past 11-12 years.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, a lot of the charm is gone. NIL and portal hurt too, but at least that has a basis in letting students capitalize on their own celebrity. Conferences with no geographic or historical ties and a bunch of dead rivalries, that’s what sucks most. But it is what it is, just glad my alma mater is the orange OSU school that survived.

NIL and Portal will be a net benefit for the sport long term because it helps keep blue bloods relevant year in and out. Due to the variance in this sport there will be the occasional David v Goliath moments that we all crave and remember forever. It will only truly kill 4 schools on the west coast where there was already 1 mass exodus that took a lot of college sports watching eyeballs with it anyhow. 

Big12 seems to have all the leverage over the PAC leftovers. A Machiavellian approach would be to offer 1 school (for even numbers), say Arizona, and let the others sweat for the year, then offer them a spot but with lesser payouts. None of the remaining PAC schools seriously move the needle money-wise, so go for the jugular.

It’s not personal, it’s business…

• Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif

90% of the P3.5 (is that where we’re at now?) will never be in the same sentence as the term college football playoffs. 1 lucky team might slip through the cracks and get pulverized by the usual loaded teams with 4 first round picks on their team.

Gone are the days to hop in your car and drive 6 hrs to your teams away game. Now it’s gonna take multiple airports, hotel rooms, car rentals to and from, leaving Thursday instead of Friday night. I guess most of the SEC can pull it off. The big 10 is just a nationwide clusterfuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:
The only other “options” to “consider” would be Stanford and Cal, right?

Stanford was already dying in football and the portal killed it. Maybe they can go indy and use their mid tier athletic brand to get enough solid games to get a decent Apple offer

Does bedlam stay? I mean losing Texas come to town every other year hurts tho

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Does bedlam stay? I mean losing Texas come to town every other year hurts tho

I’m on record predicting that bedlam gets played in 2030-31. After that who knows. I sort of doubt it will be annual. That’s just football, I think it’ll live for all other sports.

3 minutes ago, Kwix said:

How fucking funny would it be for the Big12 to just stop now and say "We're good, no thanks" after the UO/UW news.

If I were a football fan in the Big 12 I'd certainly want Utah but I wouldn't mind leaving ASU to kick rocks, especially if you're having to drag them kicking & screaming. As long as they can get AZ for basketball & UT for football they've scored a nice haul & can load up on more ACC teams to help fill in the Eastern portion of their conference map.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’m on record predicting that bedlam gets played in 2030-31. After that who knows. I sort of doubt it will be annual. That’s just football, I think it’ll live for all other sports.

As a one off series?  So what.

Rivalries are meant to be played every year.  Of course, that ain't much of a rivalry because for some reason Okie State constantly pisses down their leg when playing big brother.

57 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I live in Big 10 country. I’m stoked to watch Oregon come here and beat the hell out of Penn State. 

I forget: What happens to Stanford and Cal?

Good question.  OSU and WSU likely to the MWC (sad).  Stanford goes indy?  Cal closes up shop?

• Hook 'Em 1

I was hoping the XII could get UO and UW but if they really meet Big standards, it’s probably best they join now, get four corners to XII, WSU and ORST to MWC, and Stanford and Cal go independent.

Cal should take their child support from UCLA and go play FCS ball
  • Hook 'Em 1