Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

26 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Naw.

The PAC could've been a leader in conference realignment. They had a chance to make big moves in 2011. All they had to do was not fuck it up, and every major program from the Mississippi to the Pacific would've been theirs.

But no, they had to fuck it up.

And then they kept fucking up. And on and on. Mistake after mistake after mistake. So the big boys left for greener pastures, and the rest -- those smart enough to see what was going on -- kept their options open.

LOL. You know who's laughing and breathing a sigh of relief right now? SDSU. Talk about God's Greatest Gifts being Unanswered Prayers. Talk about narrowly escaping getting what you wanted.

devil may cry dodged a bullet GIF by Jason Clarke

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, redswingline said:

I cannot remember. Was it UNC that had an academic scandal that goes back 15-20 years?

Something about tests and papers not being taken and written by the students whose names were on it?

Not UNC.  They didn't even require their players to go to class.  Just sign up and collect their A's.

I don’t understand all the laughing at the Beavers. Yeah, they are small-time market share and not AAU, but they have won legit NCAA baseball championships and have regularly had entertaining football and basketball. Their arch rival is Oregon, but it’s not an aggy kind of delusion and nobody else hates them. Just a decent little state school doing the best they can and they end up getting screwed big time.

• Hook 'Em 4

The Big Ten cares about 3 things:

Athletic prestige, media markets, and academics (in that order).

Athletically speaking there is only ND and the ACC remaining. ND, FSU/Clemson, UNC/Miami end of list. Sure other universities have acceptable programs (Duke/Kansas basketball for example) that can help their cause but the Big Ten does not care, you’ll need to lead off your PowerPoint presentation with something other than your athletic success.

Media markets: Unless they can pull UT/aggy there is no one that will give them a notable Texas presence. Top Non-Texas markets they don’t have:  Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, Boston, San Francisco which is why they’ll have interest in GT, Miami, Arizona St, Boston College (very dark horse), and Stanford/Cal.

Academics: Stanford, Cal, ND, BC, UVA, UNC, Duke, GT, Miami

With this basic understanding it seems obvious that adding ND (the biggest piece of the board) and Stanford (big market, great academics, no encumbrances) is the easiest move in the board to get to 20.

When they go to 24, some combo of UNC, FSU, Miami, UVA, GT.

If they can only land GT/Miami, then they move into their more fringe candidates like Arizona St, Boston College, Duke, Kansas, Colorado, and Utah

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I don’t understand all the laughing at the Beavers. Yeah, they are small-time market share and not AAU, but they have won legit NCAA baseball championships and have regularly had entertaining football and basketball. Their arch rival is Oregon, but it’s not an aggy kind of delusion and nobody else hates them. Just a decent little state school doing the best they can and they end up getting screwed big time.

No, they’ve had very little football and basketball success other than a recent E8 run that they put together after only making the tournament by winning their conference, and a handful of above average years of football in the 2000-2010s.

They had a great opportunity to make something of their program that every program West of the Rockies would have killed for and they did nothing with it,

Their peers institutions are in the Mountain West where their stadium would be middle of the pack behind New Mexico, Colorado St, Fresno St and Boise St.

OSU/WSU have the 2nd and 3rd smallest football stadiums in the Power 5 only missing out on the #1 spot due to Wake Forest (who we all know won’t make to cut when the ACC breaks up).

In this case the water is simply finding its natural level. Cal and Stanford (despite their institutional incompetence) could realistically be in the Big Ten. WSU/OSU have no chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

I love the BIG, but this is laughable.  It's almost like he's got some type of agenda, because Klatt is going full Clownzano here.  Hmmmmmm.........

It's obvious Klatt is a huge fan of sexual misconduct. 

• Haha 2

The whole 100-year of history of the PAC is revisionist BS. The AAWU was founded in 1959 by refugees of the old PCC after that conference crumbled in the aftermath of a cheating scandal involving Washington, UCLA, and USC. After going by Big 5 and Big 6, it settled on PAC 8 in 1962. The PAC has to survive until 2059 to have 100 years of anything. As of yet, it has not matched the longevity of the SWC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

So reading this thread, basically usc saved the big 12

The Big 12 Media rights run through 2031.  It will be here sooner then we think and then what?  I don't see these media companies throwing wads of cash around by that time with streaming and cable money woes uncertainity.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

In this scenario, ESPN would lose all games for North Carolina, Virginia, and Miami, because they don’t have Big 10 rights and parts of Duke, Pitt and Louisville because the Big 12 rights are split with FOX. Is that worth just 36M in savings? That’s not that great of a deal for ESPN.

Also, 31 million is a steep pay cut for Duke, Pitt, and Louisville, and the Big 12 contract isn’t big enough in the future to make up for it.

Espn is evil

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I fully expect Arizona State to be squeaky wheel/Mizzou in the new Big 12. They’re not above publicly begging the Big Ten for an invitation every year to be reunited with the SoCal schools. 

You're talking out of your ass.  The AD is probably taking a cue from his boss, who seems to be inherently out of his element.  But how to get from them not being excited that their conference imploded to publicly begging the BIG for an invite?  Other than your overly stimulated imagination.

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Please, please send Coug High to the Big 12 East. 

They make sense there given their history with the AAC schools.  A two-division model pretty much requires that two Texas schools be in each division, so that everyone has a game in the state annually for recruiting purposes.  So it probably comes down to which TX schools insist upon being together.

West:  UU, BYU, UA, ASU, CU, OSU, ____, ____
East:  WVU, UC, UCF, ISU, KSU, KU, _____, ____

12 minutes ago, Wade said:

You're talking out of your ass.  The AD is probably taking a cue from his boss, who seems to be inherently out of his element.  But how to get from them not being excited that their conference imploded to publicly begging the BIG for an invite?  Other than your overly stimulated imagination.

Their AD and President are unhappy. They made public statements expressing their unhappiness. I’m not imagining a goddamned thing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Their AD and President are unhappy. They made public statements expressing their unhappiness. I’m not imagining a goddamned thing. 

You went from unhappy to begging for a BIG invite.  You must be a moron, then.

1 minute ago, camel at sea said:

They make sense there given their history with the AAC schools.  A two-division model pretty much requires that two Texas schools be in each division, so that everyone has a game in the state annually for recruiting purposes.  So it probably comes down to which TX schools insist upon being together.

West:  UU, BYU, UA, ASU, CU, OSU, ____, ____
East:  WVU, UC, UCF, ISU, KSU, KU, _____, ____

Tech in the West is automatic. But yes, it gets tricky with Baylor and TCU. 

30 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Big 12 looking at setting up divisions to help with travel (esp for Olympics)

https://footballscoop.com/news/big-12-ad-hints-conference-may-adopt-divisions-to-manage-16-team-alignment

That's a quote from the ASU AD who probably hasn't even talked to any Big 12 people.  The Big 12 isn't doing divisions to keep the least enthused member happy.

There WILL be regional scheduling, however.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They didn’t get AAU status and build a campus in LA to get cut off from Southern California. Under current leadership, they want to be University of California at Tempe. 

I don't see the connection at all.  How will they be cut off from SoCal?  Living here, and having a son who's about to apply and get rejected from the local UC schools (I've prepped him to expect CC for first two years even though he's straight As at JSerra), there will always be a place for an ASU CA campus.

Apologies, I shouldn't have reacted so strongly.  I went to grad school at ASU in the 90s and have an affinity for it.

4 minutes ago, bullet said:

That's a quote from the ASU AD who probably hasn't even talked to any Big 12 people.  The Big 12 isn't doing divisions to keep the least enthused member happy.

There WILL be regional scheduling, however.

The 3-6 would work well in the new Big 12. 

The 4 Corner schools would play each other every year. Same with the Texas schools and the remaining Big 8 members. 

57 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Dumbass. Morgantown is a good fucking time. 

[ANDERSON]Yeah, but have you been to Pullman or Corvallis?  I mean, you can bet your ass that I've been to those places, and by God, there's just no fucking way those methbillies in Morgantown could ever top that.[/ANDERSON]

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nicole Auerbach pointed out that West Coast visitors to Penn State will have to take a smaller plane to land at State College. They’ll have to refuel somewhere in the Midwest. 

While I have no problem with Big Ten expansion, I think they’ll run into a host of travel issues like the aforementioned short runways. 

They operate 737s out of that airport, just not fully loaded. Teams will just send equipment on a separate plane. 

USC, Arizona, Oregon state, sdsu have all managed to get there for football games before. 

3 minutes ago, Wade said:

I don't see the connection at all.  How will they be cut off from SoCal?  Living here, and having a son who's about to apply and get rejected from the local UC schools (I've prepped him to expect CC for first two years even though he's straight As at JSerra), there will always be a place for an ASU CA campus.

Apologies, I shouldn't have reacted so strongly.  I went to grad school at ASU in the 90s and have an affinity for it.

Rock on man. We’ll see how Arizona State adjusts.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The 3-6 would work well in the new Big 12. 

The 4 Corner schools would play each other every year. Same with the Texas schools and the remaining Big 8 members. 

The 3-6 model would work well to preserve regionality and to cycle through the league quickly.  But it wouldn't do as well as the two division model to curb cross-country travel.  I'm sure the PAC schools don't want to visit the big 12's eastern wing, and vice versa.  BY might be better off with a scheduling model that has ASU going to Morgantown once per decade instead of once every 4 years. 

Weird to hear all the handwringing over the collapse of the Pac.  They even interviewed Missouri's football coach.  Missouri!!!!!  The one school the Big 12 would never take back.

One article even downplayed the stripping of the Big East and Big 12.

I never heard these complaints with the demise of the SWC or the 4 defections from the Big 12 in 2010-11 and the dribble from the Big East.

The Pac even split up on its own once.  In 1959 UW and the 4 California schools left WSU and the Oregon schools behind (although they later took them back) and also dumped Idaho.  Colorado and Utah have hardly been there.  And Arizona and ASU spent more time in the Border and WAC than Pac.

I feel bad for Oregon St. and Washington St. fans, not that there are many of them.  There is no 2022 P5 public school with worse attendance than those two.  And both are decent size schools.  They really are AAC/MWC type schools.  Their budgets are near the bottom of the P5.  And WSU has about a $15 million subsidy to maintain that.

Stanford made their own bed with their arrogance.  Cal just doesn't seem to care much.  Don't feel sorry for those two at all if they end up in purgatory.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

Great post.  Really cool to hear about the two sides of it, and was blown away by the above.  That's like something out of a movie.

It's the absolute truth, and I actually remember the call, sitting at a desk doing math homework in a different fucking language with a bunch of loopty-loop numbers and differerent orders of operation.

I was all like Napoleon Dynamite, "Fine, Mom! Just leave me alone."

I cane home a couple of months later wearing a sweater and it was 103° when I stepped off the damn plane in Midland.

And later that night, a bunch of my friends gave me shit at a house party for speaking English with a French accent.

I'll also remember that party because sone asshole, whom I suspect was Andrew (RIP Covid denier), stole my new De La Soul cassette.

My gawd, those were the days.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2