Star Trek: The Motion Picture Re-Release

Royalfan5

56 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

It was a disappointment when it was originally released.  So... why?

It was 4th highest of the year behind Superman, Rocky II and Amityville Horror(being the outlier here).  It wasn't unbelievably great but not a box office disappointment.  it wasn't going to beat Superman or Rocky II.  Trekkies weren't even at the peak in 1979.

now merits of the script compared to Khan...

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It was 4th highest of the year behind Superman, Rocky II and Amityville Horror(being the outlier here).  It wasn't unbelievably great but not a box office disappointment.  it wasn't going to beat Superman or Rocky II.  Trekkies weren't even at the peak in 1979.

now merits of the script compared to Khan...

I didn't mean it was a box office disappointment.  It was a very highly anticipated movie release.  But, it sucked, especially compared to Khan.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Re-release Khan and I'm there. 

I'll be honest, I did a movie rewatch in the last month or so...the first movie actually wasn't nearly as bad as I had remembered it being.  Actually if you haven't ever watched Star Trek it might be one you like, if that makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'll be honest, I did a movie rewatch in the last month or so...the first movie actually wasn't nearly as bad as I had remembered it being.  Actually if you haven't ever watched Star Trek it might be one you like, if that makes sense.

I agree.  It's good but not more than that. It's not awful by any stretch given time and context.  It's just not Kahn.  the bigger issue is it wasn't Star Wars or Alien.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Drew said:

5 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I agree.  It's good but not more than that. It's not awful by any stretch given time and context.  It's just not Kahn.  the bigger issue is it wasn't Star Wars or Alien.

On the one hand, it does feel like they took the pilot from Star Trek Phase II and put it on the big screen (I know, I know), but on the other hand, outside of the pajamas, there's a lot to like - it's still got that epic sci-fi feeling that came out of TOS.  And I appreciate that it gave us the TOS crew and put us on the path to Khan, etc.

I will probably go see this, and maybe even take my 9 year-old (he's not a ST fan at all, so that will be interesting).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

On the one hand, it does feel like they took the pilot from Star Trek Phase II and put it on the big screen (I know, I know), but on the other hand, outside of the pajamas, there's a lot to like - it's still got that epic sci-fi feeling that came out of TOS.  And I appreciate that it gave us the TOS crew and put us on the path to Khan, etc.

I will probably go see this, and maybe even take my 9 year-old (he's not a ST fan at all, so that will be interesting).

ND friend's partner was the 'director' of the new version.  Apparently even re-releases operate under tight budgets.  

On the film it played like a long ST episode instead of a dramatic film.  It was actually weirder than most episodes.

• 4 weeks later...

So I say this last night, no mushrooms but still really enjoyed the theatre experience. Next week the are running Smokey and the Bandit, so I'll probably have to go see that too, along with The Fifth Element later in June, and The Wrath of Khan will be there around Labor Day. 

I'll be that guy:

I actually liked the original movie. I saw it when it came out, and thought it was great, and saw it again a handful of years ago, and still liked it. Its better than any Marvel, Transformers, or Godzilla crap.

So, this is just the special effects redone, no added scenes or anything like that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'll be that guy:

I actually liked the original movie. I saw it when it came out, and thought it was great, and saw it again a handful of years ago, and still liked it. Its better than any Marvel, Transformers, or Godzilla crap.

So, this is just the special effects redone, no added scenes or anything like that?

I think there’s some added scenes, or it’s what was added in the directors cut (like 4 min?), plus music and effects. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, Red Five said:

Saw a showing of Khan at Bass Concert Hall, w/ a Shatner Q&A session afterwards a few years ago. It was the nerdiest thing I've ever done and it was fantastic.

William Shatner Get A Life GIF - William Shatner Get A Life Nerds -  Discover & Share GIFs

Was it a taped Q&A session, or was Shatner there in person?

A few years ago, 2017 maybe?, I went to a re-release and saw a Shatner taped Q&A before or after the movie. Fun to watch it on the big screen once more. I think it as the 35th anniversary. 

As for ST TMP, it's got great music, an interesting plot, great sci-fi elements, and introduces us to the new version of the Klingons. I enjoyed it. Khan was the best, but TMP was/is a good flick. 

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

A few years ago, 2017 maybe?, I went to a re-release and saw a Shatner taped Q&A before or after the movie. Fun to watch it on the big screen once more. I think it as the 35th anniversary. 

As for ST TMP, it's got great music, an interesting plot, great sci-fi elements, and introduces us to the new version of the Klingons. I enjoyed it. Khan was the best, but TMP was/is a good flick. 

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Oh he was there alright. In all of his glory. Did probably an hour of Q&A after the showing of Khan. 

What I remember most about that night is that I drank most of the day, had a few beers at the event, then had a few margaritas after, and then some nightcaps back home. The hangover the next day was the worst I've ever had. But that's neither here nor there. 

56 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Oh he was there alright. In all of his glory. Did probably an hour of Q&A after the showing of Khan. 

What I remember most about that night is that I drank most of the day, had a few beers at the event, then had a few margaritas after, and then some nightcaps back home. The hangover the next day was the worst I've ever had. But that's neither here nor there. 

And this was at Bass Hall in Fort Worth? How the hell did I miss that?

I've seen Shatner twice, both times at Comic Con in Dallas. The last time was peak Shatner. Shared the stage with Haley Atwell of Marvel fame. His personality wasn't nearly as big as her...assets. Good times.

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

And this was at Bass Hall in Fort Worth? How the hell did I miss that?

I've seen Shatner twice, both times at Comic Con in Dallas. The last time was peak Shatner. Shared the stage with Haley Atwell of Marvel fame. His personality wasn't nearly as big as her...assets. Good times.

Bass Concert Hall in Austin. 

17 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'll be that guy:

I agree. I loved it. I have the DVD and last watched it during the quarantine. I don’t get the hangup about it. The effects were great, the music was awesome, bald Ilia was hot. And Star Trek was BACK! I thought the premise was fine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I agree. I loved it. I have the DVD and last watched it during the quarantine. I don’t get the hangup about it. The effects were great, the music was awesome, bald Ilia was hot. And Star Trek was BACK! I thought the premise was fine. 

TMP is right under WOK in my movie rankings.  It's just so solid. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

‘Give me more explosions! I want action! Bells and whistles! Stimulate my senses!’

Star Trek is more thinky. Or, at least it was before Gene Roddenberry died. Star Trek died when he did. 

What made it boring had nothing to do with it being more Star Trekky.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:02 PM, Bateshorn said:

And Undiscovered Country.

Fuck yeah.

The whole "Genesis Trilogy" is great, as is Undiscovered Country. 

"The Search for Spock" is underrated AF. You get Kirk blowing up the Enterprise, you get the resurrection of Spock, David getting killed and Christopher Lloyd as the best Klingon villain ever. (Sorry Christopher Plummer). The only bummer is Kirstie Alley not returning as Savvik.

• Hook 'Em 3