Blastfurnace 2022

Storm the Field

Starting around Monday the 17th, the weather looks to start settling into a more Autumn-like pattern with highs struggling to get much above 80 and lows in the high 50's. Sun will start setting by 6:45 and sunrise won't be official until close to 7:30. 

Edited by Storm the Field

On 9/18/2022 at 7:39 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I was trying to figure this out yesterday.  It's the pecan trees.  The internet seems to say it's aphid shit (honeydew), but it seems like that's only supposed to happen to random pecan trees, not all of them in the whole city at once.

This shit is insane. My neighbor has a big pecan tree with probably 30% overhanging my yard. I can deal with the pecan debris and some of the other shit that falls off during the year but this is too much. Some of the leaves that have fallen off look like they are covered in fly paper. I’m having a tree trimming service come over to give us a quote on chopping the 30% down. 

On 10/6/2022 at 7:03 PM, texhorn said:

It’s never going to rain again.

I am so sick of all of the “another beautiful sunny day” forecasts.  I need rain. Not just for my grass and plants… for my sanity. All this fucking sunshine and cracked ground is bullshit. I’ missed a whole summer of homegrown vegetables and now fall is fucked, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 4Pete said:

I am so sick of all of the “another beautiful sunny day” forecasts.  I need rain. Not just for my grass and plants… for my sanity. All this fucking sunshine and cracked ground is bullshit. I’ missed a whole summer of homegrown vegetables and now fall is fucked, too.

But sir, this is an Arby's. 

Seriously.  Ever since that day we were all internet high-fiving each other and posting pics of our lawns and flora.  Hasn't rained a fucking drop.  We obviously upset the weather gods (plus, Jeff the God of Biscuits).  FUCK! 

The fucking guy sub-in guy on KXAN this morning.  Gets me all excited when he talks about this tropical depression that could head our way.  His teaser was, "It's a little far south to accurately predict right now but I like our chances."  Then he pans out and it's off the coast of fucking Suriname.  A little far south?  Ya think?!?  My fucking rain chances are dependent on some light moisture off the coast of Tierra del Fuego?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Looks like we're in for another couple days of whatever you call this season. It's not quite Summer but it sure as shit isn't Fall. Muggy with highs in the low 90's, lows not much below 70.

Very weak front on tap for Thursday, bringing humidity levels back down and knocking a few ticks off the lows, which should set up for a relatively pleasant Friday and Saturday.  

There's a glimmer of hope for a stronger front rolling through late Sunday that could feasibly produce some rain early next week. Should at least usher in some cloudier, colder weather for next Monday thru Thursday. 

Was that one of Izzard's?  I always loved that bit.  It seemed funny to me just for the sublimeness of it when I first heard it.  I compared it to the Greeks having a goddess of fireplaces.  then I got more involved in my wife's church and all that Saints days.  They literally have patron saints for Notary Publics (Luke), Clowns (Maturinus), and Draperies (Severus).  

What's weird though, and applicable to this thread, is there is no Saint for Rainfall/Drought.  When we go back to Western Kansas, they have there's a handful of Saints that are for farmers and ranchers that they dedicate mass to.  But they're for safety, animal wellness, good crop yield, etc.  You'd think there'd be one for droughts, but there's not.  But biscuits 'n clowns?  Yep, we got you covered!  

It appears that tomorrow might be the hottest day of the rest of 2022. 96 in Austin, 93 in Houston. Weekend looks to be warmer and more humid than usual for this time of year, but not awful.

Keeping an eye out for some legit Fall weather Monday-Friday next week, possibly even including some rain. 

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

It appears that tomorrow might be the hottest day of the rest of 2022. 96 in Austin, 93 in Houston. Weekend looks to be warmer and more humid than usual for this time of year, but not awful.

Keeping an eye out for some legit Fall weather Monday-Friday next week, possibly even including some rain. 

John Candy Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2022 at 4:25 AM, Updawg said:

Rita and it was a dust bowl and over 105

Yep.  It was Rita.  That storm was on a bee line for Houston.  We were in Hawaii on vacation and started watching it bear down on Texas.  We were supposed to fly home that Friday through IAH on Continental.  All the flights were cancelled.  Ended up flying American through Dallas on the red eye and went straight to a good friend's wedding in Austin that Saturday evening.  It was hot, the wind was blowing 30+ MPH and it was dusty.  Perfect for an outdoor wedding.  Then, I had to haul ass to East Texas to help my wife's family recover from the aftermath of Rita for a week.  I went from a bad ass, low-key vacation to a sweaty outdoor wedding directly to no sleep for a week busting ass to cut downed trees, patch roofs and clean flooded houses.  Good times.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's October 12th, and 7:30 in the evening, and the current temp 84, with a feels like of 92. I'm soaked in sweat from a 30 minute walk with my dogs. 

You gotta be fucking kidding me. Dear God, please let me finally kill this thread for the year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

It's October 12th, and 7:30 in the evening, and the current temp 84, with a feels like of 92. I'm soaked in sweat from a 30 minute walk with my dogs. 

You gotta be fucking kidding me. Dear God, please let me finally kill this thread for the year.

Satan’s butthole today 

14 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Took the wife and daughters to the H.O.T. Fair last night.  Can confirm there was much swampass and red-cheeked chiddrens by 8:00.  I was absolutely beat by the time we got home.  

15 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I'll argue that this morning was worse. It's not as "hot" as yesterday according to the thermometer, but I stepped outside around 7:30 this morning and it was swampy as hell. Felt like we'd time-traveled back to late July. Somewhat decent chance of rain this afternoon for Houston area.

Humidity should be significantly improved tomorrow and it appears we'll have a warm but otherwise pleasant Friday. Back to swamp-ass on Saturday and Sunday.  Front should start to roll though overnight Sunday and bring some rain followed by much much cooler temps and drier air starting Monday evening.

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Showing 40 here in Waco area, so it very well could be.

On a side note, it was a glorious 3.5 mile walk this morning with the dog at 52 degrees.   

Yeah, hasn't cooled down much here in the H, but the significantly drier air made it 1000x more pleasant walking this morning than yesterday. Looks like we'll top out here around 86 this afternoon, which ain't bad with low humidity.

Wish that front was arriving before Monday though. Always kind of a bummer to have mediocre weather on  a weekend and then a couple of glorius days in the middle of the following work week. 

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Planning to hop in the pool this afternoon for what likely will be my last swim of the year. Water temp has already dropped down to around 82 (just about perfect) after being close to 90 for the last several months. Looks like outside temp will be close to 90 this afternoon.  

Just started lightly raining a bit ago.  I doubt we’re going to hit the high of 87 as it’s showing.   If we do, it’s gonna be a miserable 87.