ana de armas + 2 uggo's = “the gray man” on netflix

henrygandorf

• henrygandorf changed the title to ana de armas + 2 uggo's = “the gray man” on netflix
1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i think it's the same thing as saying, "Texas has some great RB's and WR's this year."

But uggo isn't an abbreviation. It's just a slang term. And I would write RBs and WRs anyway. I mean I'm aware people pen things incorrectly like referring to a decade as the "90's".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

or like how many as are in banana or how many is are in mississippi.  i also go all lowercase so it’s more of a matter of clarity. i didn’t know uggo was a real slang word, i just think it’s fun. 

It's totally a clarity thing and I imagine you read (and have read) a ton of screenplays where all of this gets bended a bit I'd assume. I'm a proper-English nerd and wouldn't make a joke about it if I didn't think I was highlighting a valid critique. 

I enjoy artistic license myself, because I think it's ultimately about - like you say - clarity and intent rather than presentation. I frequently interchange hyphens and commas like I just did in that last sentence, or begin sentences with contractions like I might in this following one. But, I feel like as long as it flows well in the reader's head and the matter is delivered effectively, then anyone getting caught up on some of the more academic grammatical aspects is choosing to examine the trees instead of the forest. 

(Excuse me while I regret not being an English major)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ll probably watch but I’m getting burned out on these Netflix action movies that have a 25 minute story in there somewhere. 

Agree, and I don't mind male eye candy at all at all, but I guess the movie makers have their target audience and I'm obviously not it. My spouse will stay with an action movie longer than I will, but I also notice that he will rewatch a movie with a better hook than sit through a new one that is just fight scenes and explosions without character development.  Does a story have to be so huge all the time, all the way through?

The trailer left me underwhelmed. I would like to be whelmed once in a while.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ll probably watch but I’m getting burned out on these Netflix action movies that have a 25 minute story in there somewhere. 

I’ll prob watch but I’m getting turned off on the grammar talk 

• Like 1

the russo brothers (russo's?) have some range, so hopefully they can make this work.  agree that the trailer leaves something to be desired, and the little red netflix logo in the corner doesn't fill me with hope.  quite the opposite in fact.  if it didn't have star power, you wouldn't give it a second glance.

but gosling typically chooses his projects well, so guess we'll see.

for the ladies enjoying the eye candy - this is the type of stuff rege quit bridgerton to do, so i guess we'll see if it was worth it.

31 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the russo brothers (russo's?) have some range, so hopefully they can make this work.  agree that the trailer leaves something to be desired, and the little red netflix logo in the corner doesn't fill me with hope.  quite the opposite in fact.  if it didn't have star power, you wouldn't give it a second glance.

but gosling typically chooses his projects well, so guess we'll see.

for the ladies enjoying the eye candy - this is the type of stuff rege quit bridgerton to do, so i guess we'll see if it was worth it.

You're right, I wouldn't and to clarify--by asking does the story have to be so 'huge' all the time, I'm referring more to the outsize nature of plots(?) these days (I don't know screenwriter terms so forgive me here). The largest bangs, the global settings, the just maximus of it all gets to be a bit much in my opinion. I love Ian Fleming's spy, but not everything has to be a James Bond pissing match.

I can never make up my mind about Gosling. Not unattractive and I get drawn into some of his characters from other works. Have been aware of him since he appeared in Remember the Titans (enjoyed that movie), but he'll have to win me over.

Whenever an artist (director/writer/actor/etc) tries something different I don't have a problem with it at all at all and it can be amazing. We usually only hear about the total complete misses or the fortunate ones that really soared in a new direction and the near misses and sorta kinda flops don't really register.  I do feel bad in a way because movie making seems like such a collaborative effort (plus money) that the effort of 'stretching' may be in vain if one of the elements was lacking and depending upon the artist, they may never get to or want to take that chance again.

I am only going off of the trailer, so we will watch the movie and wait til the end before we rate it. I do use the ratings button on Netflix. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing that I do since it doesn't provide any commentary with it, but I figure a thumbs up when something is well done doesn't hurt.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I can never make up my mind about Gosling. Not unattractive and I get drawn into some of his characters from other works. Have been aware of him since he appeared in Remember the Titans (enjoyed that movie), but he'll have to win me over.

tell me you haven't seen the big short without telling me you haven't seen the big short.

gosling is pretty great in everything he does, and can play it straight, romantic leading man, or be hilarious.  i think he could be one of the best comedic actors around if he chose to do so.  it's like the year wilt chamberlain led the league in assists, just to see if he could.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

you really need to watch the nice guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I haven't seen it. There are definite gaps in the movie viewing and I will make a note to look for that one.

It's not that I think he is a bad actor, he's quite alright. But you highlighted what I mean--he moves around a lot in genre type so it takes me awhile to think, 'oh, this is something different but he may be fine .' Kind of like Benedict Cumberbatch playing a cowboy. I mean, it's Cumberbatch but it wasn't too long into that movie before I loathed the character, Phil and paid no mind to the actor. Once the movie starts, I try to give them (individual cast member or ensembles) a chance to do their thing. That's the win me over part. One could argue that I've paid my ticket and took my chance, but in my mind, I want the industry to succeed on a base creative level just as I do for all of art/creative pursuits in general.

I really liked his acting in Crazy Stupid Love. That's just one. Besides LaLaLand, Notebook, Gangster Squad (it was on cable recently), Blade Runner, and Lars (loved that), I would have to look at the database to recall anything else I've seen because I can't think of any offhand besides those and they got a lot of play and still do on tv.

Thanks for the tip on that movie.

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Haven't seen that either.

big short, nice guys, fracture, the ides of march - these are required gosling viewing.  as is crazy stupid love, lala land, and lars and the real girl, which you've seen.

some people will say you should see drive.  i liked it ok but felt it was a little stylized and overrated because of it.  he's good in it though.

but if you haven't seen the big short, move it to the top of the list - it's one of the best movies from the past 10 years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Pretty much all the Netflix action stuff is decent enough for a drunk Saturday night, but there is always something off about them.  They never can put it together for the total package.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Regarding the Russos on Netflix, Extraction was pretty good.  Has there been anything else?

Extraction is the only movie that I can think of in this recent Netflix+A List star+action=Profit business model that didn't feel phoned in, paint-by-numbers, forgettable fluff. Gosling doesn't seem like the phone it in type, so who knows.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:17 PM, henrygandorf said:

some people will say you should see drive.  i liked it ok but felt it was a little stylized and overrated because of it.  he's good in it though.

How Dare You Greta GIF

That's one of my favorite movies. Ridiculous cast and I'm a fan of the stylization and quirkiness although I can see how it is a turnoff for some. 

Nvm.

Edited by ztejas

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2022 at 11:42 AM, henrygandorf said:

tell me you haven't seen the big short without telling me you haven't seen the big short.

gosling is pretty great in everything he does, and can play it straight, romantic leading man, or be hilarious.  i think he could be one of the best comedic actors around if he chose to do so.  it's like the year wilt chamberlain led the league in assists, just to see if he could.

I still haven't seen The Big Short, but it's still on my list. I'm here to amend my initial commentary. Since May, I've done more viewing and also caught Drive, which I had not seen before, and while Netflix had Crazy Stupid Love on (until today-last day) re-watched it several times. He is under-rated at comedy. I also really liked Drive more than I thought I would and it was mostly down to his treatment of his character, so I have not been giving him enough credit.

As far as The Gray Man, I plan on watching. He's catching some flak for the Barbie movie after some pics were released, but I can't wait to see how that turns out.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I still haven't seen The Big Short, but it's still on my list. I'm here to amend my initial commentary. Since May, I've done more viewing and also caught Drive, which I had not seen before, and while Netflix had Crazy Stupid Love on (until today-last day) re-watched it several times. He is under-rated at comedy. I also really liked Drive more than I thought I would and it was mostly down to his treatment of his character, so I have not been giving him enough credit.

As far as The Gray Man, I plan on watching. He's catching some flak for the Barbie movie after some pics were released, but I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Props for liking drive as a female. That's a total testosterone fest. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Props for liking drive as a female. That's a total testosterone fest. 

Testosterone is fine. It is the story that makes a movie work for me or not. I didn't realize until recently, while watching some old interviews about a different movie, how much film/scene ends up cut and just how important that can be sometimes--as in whether more is more, less is more, or sometimes less is not enough and something gets lost in the cutting or the editing. Or even the writing--directors that are willing to work with the writers to change things for the better when something seems 'off.'