Declassified: How 1 Navy pilot shot down 4 ACTUAL Rooskies (and maybe 6) in a single 30 minute dogfight in Korea

AUS-97HORN

and "ACTUAL" is highlighted because while yes, Americans had been up against "Volunteer" Russian pilots flying for N Korea or China, these 7 MIGs were actual Soviet Union planes that took off from Russia and were official Russian aircraft, which is why it was kept classified because of the implication of America fighting Russia directly without any "buffer"

• Hook 'Em 2

An unbelievable feat.  Also, a data point that maybe Russia has sucked militarily all along, despite some theoretical advantages.

ETA:  I'm reading some British cold war thrillers ala Clancy, but not as good, where there's a war with Russia and they're fighting NATO to a stalemate with huge losses, so far, mostly in naval and air engagements.  I'm not sure when they were written, but I'm finding some of the Russian "superiority" to be rather incredible, given recent events.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Korea kill ratio was 12 to 1. In Vietnam it dropped to 3 to 1.

Tom Cruise Sunglasses GIF by Paramount Movies

Looks like that in Vietnam our pilots become dependent on missiles.  Lost some of their dogfighting skills.  If only there was a school that could teach air combat maneuvering.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, HouTex said:

OP, Korea wasn’t a tie.  The UN (mostly US) successfully repelled the invading forces.  The goal was never to gain territory in North Korea.  

26 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

And, technically, it isn't over yet...

y'all motherfuckers need to rewatch Sgt Major Choozhoo and Gunny Highway.  they ended up with, 1 win, 1 loss and 1 tie.   their words not mine.

and in all actuality it sure as fuck was a tie.  The original charter of the UN was to repel the N Korean's out of S Korea.  That was accomplished at either the end of Sept or beginning of Oct 1950  *IF*  MacArthur had followed the charter - maybe taken a small amount of strategic high ground territory a few miles North of the original 38th parallel border, and STOPPED.  That would have been a clear victory.

Instead MacArthur assumed that because he had theoretical access to a lot of tactical Nukes (with the Presidents approval), he could always nuke China and Russia if they invaded, so he went full fucking Aggy and charged into N Korea just as winter was beginning with the intent of capturing all of NK (which was NOT part of the charter) and just assumed that Russia and China would just sit back while predominately American forces eliminated NK and were going to stop their forces literally bordering their countries.

He exceeded the charter, ignored all intelligence that China had crossed the Yalu... and then acted shocked when we got our asses handed to us in the middle of one of the worst winters in Korea's history.   we then retreated and spent the better part of 3 more years going back and forth on the peninsula and ending within a few miles of the 38th parallel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

y'all motherfuckers need to rewatch Sgt Major Choozhoo and Gunny Highway.  they ended up with, 1 win, 1 loss and 1 tie.   their words not mine.

and in all actuality it sure as fuck was a tie.  The original charter of the UN was to repel the N Korean's out of S Korea.  That was accomplished at either the end of Sept or beginning of Oct 1950  *IF*  MacArthur had followed the charter - maybe taken a small amount of strategic high ground territory a few miles North of the original 38th parallel border, and STOPPED.  That would have been a clear victory.

Instead MacArthur assumed that because he had theoretical access to a lot of tactical Nukes (with the Presidents approval), he could always nuke China and Russia if they invaded, so he went full fucking Aggy and charged into N Korea just as winter was beginning with the intent of capturing all of NK (which was NOT part of the charter) and just assumed that Russia and China would just sit back while predominately American forces eliminated NK and were going to stop their forces literally bordering their countries.

He exceeded the charter, ignored all intelligence that China had crossed the Yalu... and then acted shocked when we got our asses handed to us in the middle of one of the worst winters in Korea's history.   we then retreated and spent the better part of 3 more years going back and forth on the peninsula and ending within a few miles of the 38th parallel.

f205355e-1aa4-4553-ac38-44c56f582467_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

An unbelievable feat.  Also, a data point that maybe Russia has sucked militarily all along, despite some theoretical advantages.

ETA:  I'm reading some British cold war thrillers ala Clancy, but not as good, where there's a war with Russia and they're fighting NATO to a stalemate with huge losses, so far, mostly in naval and air engagements.  I'm not sure when they were written, but I'm finding some of the Russian "superiority" to be rather incredible, given recent events.

How old are you( not fucking with you)

At the height of the Cold War, Clancy's sweet spot, perception was that while US might have been slightly ahead technologically, that the Russians would overwhelm us with numbers.

Maybe Truman wasnt such a pussywimp. Seems like MacArthur got his ass handed to him.

31 minutes ago, slorch said:

How old are you( not fucking with you)

At the height of the Cold War, Clancy's sweet spot, perception was that while US might have been slightly ahead technologically, that the Russians would overwhelm us with numbers.

56. That isn't the premise of the books I am reading.  Its Brit authored stuff, but the rooskies are winning air and sea engagements by tech and tactics.  I just looked, the books were written in 1988.

Of course, under the soviets, the tech may have been maintained and trained. 

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

56. That isn't the premise of the books I am reading.  Its Brit authored stuff, but the rooskies are winning air and sea engagements by tech and tactics.  I just looked, the books were written in 1988.

Of course, under the soviets, the tech may have been maintained and trained. 

They weren’t. 
30 years from now we will see that modern day China was equally inept.