Tennessee Tech @ Texas: Austin Super Regional Thread

Horny Bull

the key is the 5 thru 8 hitters. they can't go 0 for 18 with no walks. the less they get on base, the less times you get around to Kody Clemens.

Kody Clemens was 1 for 1 yesterday. a home run. he walked 3 times. at least 3 of the times he came up with no baserunners. don't remember the other time. it is rather amazing we lost that game 5-4 with how good the Tenn Tech offense is. Our bullpen did wonders to get out of some shit in the later innings.

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Speaking of Ole Miss, they were absolutely screwed in their regional. The Oxford regional was by far the toughest. 

Not only did Ole Miss get Tennessee Tech but they had Missouri State as a 3 seed in their regional. Missouri State has been receiving votes and ranked in the top 25 for much of the year. Missouri State and Tennessee Tech can beat anyone on any given weekend and Ole Miss had both in their regional as a national seed. Brutal. 

The committee really needs to do a better job of balancing these regionals out. The #4 overall seed should never get a draw like that. 

Unfortunately geography trumps common sense or fairness when it comes to these things.

The NCAA sanctions women's softball and soccer and a number of other sports to travel half the school week to go play one game between Boston College and Miami, or Rutgers and Nebraska, et.. al.  1,500 miles on a Wednesday to go play a 2-hour game.  But we're gonna be dammed if one sport has to travel more than a couple of hours in June...you know---when there's no fucking school.  

13 hours ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

Wow, when did Longhorn fans become such pussies? Seriously?

Sorry, but I'm still in the let's kick their ass mood.  Apparently @texasstrong12, despite that stat is not even correct, is already waving the white flag and making excuses "well this team is really good, no shame in losing to them." Dude... seriously? We're already making excuses before we lose to the MIGHTY Tennessee Tech baseball program?

How pathetic...

I'm assuming you are like - 12?   Not sure how many negs to kill a troll in our brave new world of Surly, but let's have a go.

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Unfortunately geography trumps common sense or fairness when it comes to these things.

They need to rank the entire field and then pair regionals based on that. I'm pretty sure Kendall Rogers said they are getting close to doing this. 

When geography is prioritized the Oxford regional is what happens. A national seed getting arguably the best 2 seed and best 3 seed in the same regional. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Orca of Peace said:

how the heck did TN Tch get so much talent??  

As long as UT doesn't see # 7 again, we good. 

Unlike football and basketball, there is parity in college baseball. I think the MLB draft helps with giving parity. The true elite go pro out of high school. Although, we are seeing more talent opting in for college baseball these days.

Not to derail the thread but I also think the partial scholarships keep college baseball players true student-athletes.

12 minutes ago, Player said:

I’ll also add that when the opportunity arises to advance runners, we damn sure better execute today (and hopefully tomorrow).

if you have been watching this team all season, we do a fantastic job of advancing a leadoff runner from 1st to 2nd with a bunt...... but after that our RISP hitting percentage is really fucking bad. 

this is not a new phenomenon of us not advancing runners until its too late.

I have lost track of the number of times  this season we have had 2 or more on with no outs, and managed to not score.   and more infuriating very few of those situations ended due to a double play, which would at least give some reason for not scoring in a 2-on no-out situation. we just seem to strikeout a lot or do a lot of short pop fly's with RISP.   obviously I know we had 3 sac fly runs yesterday, but still, we only got 5 hits, and I think only 1 was with RISP 

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

Unlike football and basketball, there is parity in college baseball. I think the MLB draft helps with giving parity. The true elite go pro out of high school.

This is true. Imagine most of the top 100 prospects in basketball and football never making it to campus. 

That would definitely level out the playing field some. 

Edited by texasstrong12

28 minutes ago, F250 said:

Unlike football and basketball, there is parity in college baseball. I think the MLB draft helps with giving parity. The true elite go pro out of high school. Although, we are seeing more talent opting in for college baseball these days.

Not to derail the thread but I also think the partial scholarships keep college baseball players true student-athletes.

Username does not match up 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Too bad we couldn’t have gotten duke, and let ttu and ttu slug it out on the plains. 

I'll let you know around 10pm tonight if this is a good suggestion or not.  Good luck in y'all's game though.  Both TTUs probably would have played to a 2-1 shootout the way baseball gods screw with us...

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

They need to rank the entire field and then pair regionals based on that. I'm pretty sure Kendall Rogers said they are getting close to doing this. 

When geography is prioritized the Oxford regional is what happens. A national seed getting arguably the best 2 seed and best 3 seed in the same regional. 

I thought aggy was the best 3 seed....oh wait..

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

the key is the 5 thru 8 hitters. they can't go 0 for 18 with no walks. the less they get on base, the less times you get around to Kody Clemens.

Kody Clemens was 1 for 1 yesterday. a home run. he walked 3 times. at least 3 of the times he came up with no baserunners. don't remember the other time. it is rather amazing we lost that game 5-4 with how good the Tenn Tech offense is. Our bullpen did wonders to get out of some shit in the later innings.

the bigger problem was 1 and 2 did very little in front of clemens but yeah zubia and hibbler were not good behind clemens.

pitching was good enough to win yesterday.  hope we get the same performance today.

Maybe Reynolds getting dropped to the bottom will light a fire.

Captain Obvious here but the ideal would be to get out Top 1 and jump their ace's ass.  But even if that doesn't happen per se I think we will have a pretty good indication on how the day will go once we see what the plate approach of 5-9 (maybe even 4-9) looks like first time through.  If it's still mainly garbage like it was yesterday I won't have a lot of confidence of it improving in further ABs.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

The best 3 seed was in the Austin regional. Just ask them. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Partial scholarships also play a part. If every good HS player could get a full ride to Texas or UVA or Florida we wouldn’t see this parity.

What’s the reason for this limit?   Could we add 15 more rowers to the 50-strong women’s crew and then give 15 more baseball full rides?

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the bigger problem was 1 and 2 did very little in front of clemens but yeah zubia and hibbler were not good behind clemens.

pitching was good enough to win yesterday.  hope we get the same performance today.

Yeah, Hamilton and Ellis only reaching base safely once yesterday really killed us, in regards to the impact Kody was able to have. I think the most disappointing part was that even with Kingham being terrible in 0-2 counts and some stuff not going our way yesterday, that game was extremely winnable if we had just executed on defense and small ball. We had at least three errors yesterday, including the Shaw non-catch that killed us, HIbbeler not being able to put a bunt down (btw, his bunting form was so freaking bad. He was stabbing at the ball every dang time!) with 2 on, no out was also a killer. Get a sac fly that inning and it's 5-5.  Our advantage over Ttech was supposed to be defense and doing the small things.  We failed at both.  It ain't over but we unnecessarily put ourselves in a huge hole.

Pierce has done a really good coaching job this year, but he has to get this team to execute the small ball stuff on offense next year. We've been absolutely horrid at executing with RISP this year and especially with getting bunts down. Part of mittigating the loss of Kody next year will have to be better execution with RISP.  Anyways, back to this year. This series aint over and I'm really excited for today. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What’s the reason for this limit?   Could we add 15 more rowers to the 50-strong women’s crew and then give 15 more baseball full rides?

nope its mandated by NCAA that baseball has max of 11.7.  it is specifically done to prevent what you are talking about and "level" the playing field for all D1 baseball teams. Its dumb but it is the rule.

38 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow said:

Anyone know much about TTU's pitcher today? I know he's supposed to be their Friday guy.

Started last Saturday and threw 5 2/3, then threw in both Monday games in relief.  We'll see how he bounces back

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I’m just now realizing that they have all of the wheelchair rows right in the sun. Damn. Seems like we should do something about that. I hate seeing these little old grannies having to get baked in this heat if they want to come out and watch the ball game.

How many grannies do you want being dragged up stairs to the shade?  Those spots are about ease of access.