2022 Texans: That’s the Power of Lovie

The Earl of Texas

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Chicago, the only team with 3 wins, is the biggest threat to supplant us for the #1 pick. They play @Detroit and Minnesota. 

The Lions’ offense has been seriously sliding the last couple of weeks and Minnesota could be locked into the #2 seed by the last game of the season. Agreed Chicago is the biggest threat; I think there’s a really good chance we win one of the remaining two, but it would be interesting to see what the Bears would do at #1 if nobody was dying to trade up for a QB. Right or wrong, I think if we stay at #1 it’s going to be Young. I’m a fan, but he’s not a risk-free pick….

On 12/25/2022 at 10:17 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

And while I continue to be a Bryce Young naysayer, I’d pose the questions:

Who was a better NFL prospect coming out of college, Tua or Young? (If your answer isn’t Tua, you have major hindsight bias)

Would you take Tua #1 overall if you knew then what you know now about how he has played in the NFL?

If you could go back in time would you take Josh Allen or Jalen Hurts #1 overall? You’d have been ridiculed for doing so leading up to their drafts….

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

If you could go back in time would you take Josh Allen or Jalen Hurts #1 overall? You’d have been ridiculed for doing so leading up to their drafts….

Agree to disagree I guess. I wasn’t advocating taking those other guys #1 either. Allen was like #7 and Hurts in the second round, better value or value/risk ratio. My point was the Texans shouldn’t reach on a QB at #1 unless it is a Elway, Manning, Stafford, or Luck type of slam dunk.

The NFL overvalues QB prospects due to the importance of the position so that they often go #1, or 1-2, or 1-2-3 overall when there are stud DL, DE, OL, or other positions that those players are universally perceived as more “can’t miss” as future all pro’s. If Young was more certain to have a better career than Anderson or Carter, taking him is staying true to the board. Young may be great, good, average, below average, or garbage as a pro, and none of those outcomes would surprise me. I think the Texans should take Anderson or Carter and keep drafting best talent available until you have a roster where half the starters actually belong in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know I was wrong about Stafford helping LA win a SB. But I wouldn't put him in the same class as the others. 

If you have 2 first rounders, you take Young and the next best player. But, the team needs to understand that OL is a priority. I just think Young will be a winner. But I would understand if they went with someone like Anderson. Somewhere in the draft QB has to be addressed though. And I don't mean getting some stiff from Saratoga State. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/27/2022 at 12:06 PM, Macklemore said:

Fuck the Texans for wasting the career of their GOAT player. Didn’t even get him a chance to play in an AFC title game 

I would say he had a ‘chance’ when we were up 24-0 in KC, a game in which he had no tackles and no sacks. I’m not gonna rag on JJ though, the dude gave 100% every time he stepped on the field….

• Like 1

These H-town shirts in old Gothic script have been one of the few things the Texans have gotten right this year. They’re considering new uniforms, I think most Texans fans want a complete refresh and reset of this team’s identity. Is this t-shirt a tease for new Columbia blue uniforms? That color scheme belongs to Houston and whatever NFL team plays here in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:
That color scheme belongs to Houston and whatever NFL team plays here in my opinion.

I also prefer that team names, or at least color schemes, belong to a city. However, it has been said repeatedly that the NFL disagrees. I don’t understand how they can let the Titans squat on Columbia blue+red+white, especially after they switched to a navy blue heavy scheme. Or what happens if the Texans say it is Carolina blue instead of Columbia blue?

4 hours ago, Macklemore said:

These H-town shirts in old Gothic script have been one of the few things the Texans have gotten right this year. They’re considering new uniforms, I think most Texans fans want a complete refresh and reset of this team’s identity. Is this t-shirt a tease for new Columbia blue uniforms? That color scheme belongs to Houston and whatever NFL team plays here in my opinion.

Unfortunately the fucking Adams family has the rights to that as well. Hopefully once that old bitch is in the grave the next generation will sell the rights to the color scheme at least, if not the Oilers name….

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Texans are going to have some tough decisions to make. McCarthy, Travis, and Caleb Williams all could be franchise QBs. 

I think taking Young now is the safe money. Please God no Will Levis. 

…and they could finish 4-13 next year, draft 4th, and not have a shot at any of them. You don’t often get a shot at a potential franchise guy, I agree Young is worth the gamble…

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Please God no Will Levis. 

People might’ve said this exact same thing about Josh Allen. If we get a defensive coach in here and take some defensive beast at 1, I don’t think it would be all bad to take Levis with our Browns pick if he looks to pan out.

Or maybe sign Carr and go OL with that second pick…

We’ll have great draft capital and plenty of money to spend. It’s up to Caserio and the new coach to get it done.

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Any other team have 2-1st round picks that could trade up to the #1 overall to take a QB, so that the Texans don't ruin the kids career?

The Lions and Seahawks have multiple first rounders and both could arguably use an upgrade at QB, though both Goff and Geno Smith have had career years. The Eagles also have two picks but I think they’re probably just fine….

What about trading for Derek Carr on a reworked contract?  Could probably be had for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd. He’s got a no trade clause but might ok coming here due to familiarity. There is also a possibility that the Raiders outright cut him. That would free up that top pick to use to improve all of the other positions of need. 

• Like 1

After how good Stidham looked yesterday Carr may come cheaper than that. Or he might get cut outright. And maybe for the same reasons he’s not a very good signing… 😂

Will be interesting to see who we hire has HC. I expect Lovie to get the axe promptly on Black Tuesday, hopefully things move quickly after that.

8 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Will be interesting to see who we hire has HC. I expect Lovie to get the axe promptly on Black Tuesday, hopefully things move quickly after that.

Despite yesterday’s showing, I’m team Demeco. If that’s the direction then it might not be a quick hire due to playoff conflict. 

If Caserio is supposed to be responsible for football-related hirings and firings, Lovie going over his head won’t sit well. If Cal retains Lovie against his wishes, I could see him hitting the road. Would be just another in a series of bad choices by Tommy Boy. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

If we wanted to tank 2 years in a row, why not just keep Cullie for a 2nd year? That move never made any sense to me

It seemed like they fired Culley because they wanted to hire Flores, and then all the lawsuit stuff flared up and that became a situation they wanted no part of. Then they just hired Smith. But I could be making that up. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I think they fired him to get Josh McCown and did a token interview with Flores. That blew up so they couldn’t hire Josh and Lovie was a easy fill in

Flores dropped that lawsuit on the nfl and the  Texans. That 100000000% screwed up the Texans hiring McCown. Nfl put the heat on the Texans to hire love, asap 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-brian-flores-lawsuit-kept-josh-mccown-texans-report

let’s review mccown’s resume …..
-Volunteer coach, Ridge High School
-Assistant coach, Rusk High School

flores would have been a very good hire imo 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DougO said:

Lovie has done a pretty good job under the circumstances. I would hate to see him not get another year with more talent.

You probably think that if the Texans weren’t getting hosed by the refs every game like the Cowboys, they would have won more games. 

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You probably think that if the Texans weren’t getting hosed by the refs every game like the Cowboys, they would have won more games. 

No, I think they've had such a shitty roster situation to play with it's a miracle they were semi-competitive in as many games as they were, almost looking at times like a team that belongs in the bottom rung of the NFL. Nobody was going to win many games with these guys. Might as well roll with him one more season and get a roster more in place then look towards another probably high draft pick the following season and think about where things stand. 

• Haha 2