Penn State @ Purdue, 7:30 ET on FOX

WhatTheBuck

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I still remember that time I ran into Manny Diaz at the airport in Orlando.  His wife was taking care of 2 screaming kids at the restaurant while he was staring into space with a cheeseburger in his hand. 

I once saw him at the Chipotle at 45th and Lamar not long after Mack fired him.

First and foremost - Fuck Penn State.  Fuck Franklin, Diaz, Paterno, Sandusky, etc.

Second, c'mon Brohm, you had that game locked up.

Brohm's offense reminds me of the run-and-shoot.  They have no way to move the ball AND move the clock.  Before the last unsuccessful drive, Purdue had the lead and the ball 2 times.  They ran 12 plays and 3:43 in clock in those 2 drives.  2 3-and outs running into the pile can run 4:00 off the clock.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I feel like I can watch every game in college football for the rest of this season and not see a worse coaching performance than what Jeff Brohm shat out onto that field in the 4th quarter last night. I realize that he has reason for not having confidence in his team's running game. Fine. That doesn't excuse the absolute refusal to run the ball to drain the clock and draw out timeouts on those last two non-final drives. I was screaming at the tv. It was infuriating. It helps that I fucking loathe Franklin the Charlatan and everything about Penn State's continued existence.

There is no excuse for not having the ability to line up a QB under center when necessary. None. QBs and centers can take snapping reps every day at practice while the rest of the team is going through warm-ups, drills, shell, whatever. It takes a QB 15-20 minutes to get 50-75 snap reps in. That's nothing. In conjunction with the same logic, there is no fucking excuse not to have a clock kill set in your playcalling repetoire. Again, it's indefensible. Every team should know how to run a couple of dive and stretch plays from under center. You can have 3 plays right and 3 plays left in that set, rep those at the end of practice ahead of or behind 4 minute drill work. 10-15 snaps 2 times a week from the beginning of fall camp forward would have everyone set up fine to pick up 10 yards on 3 snaps or at least a prayer of it. You can even add in a QB sneak to that and you'd have a legit additional option in any game on 4th and inches. 

These fucking offensive "geniuses" that decided somewhere along the way to erase these things out of the playbook in exchange for more variants on preexisting passing calls from their favorite gun formation are absolute idiots for doing so. It's bad football. 

Or Christ, if you have to be fucking exotic and show everyone how smart you are, have a wildcat set ready any time for this. Same premise. It's fucking dumb to not have these options. I was hoping to hear that Jeff Brohm had a stroke in his sleep last night and could no longer coach football going forward. They gave that dumbfuck a raise in the offseason. He's fucking worthless. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like I can watch every game in college football for the rest of this season and not see a worse coaching performance than what Jeff Brohm shat out onto that field in the 4th quarter last night. I realize that he has reason for not having confidence in his team's running game. Fine. That doesn't excuse the absolute refusal to run the ball to drain the clock and draw out timeouts on those last two non-final drives. I was screaming at the tv. It was infuriating. It helps that I fucking loathe Franklin the Charlatan and everything about Penn State's continued existence.

There is no excuse for not having the ability to line up a QB under center when necessary. None. QBs and centers can take snapping reps every day at practice while the rest of the team is going through warm-ups, drills, shell, whatever. It takes a QB 15-20 minutes to get 50-75 snap reps in. That's nothing. In conjunction with the same logic, there is no fucking excuse not to have a clock kill set in your playcalling repetoire. Again, it's indefensible. Every team should know how to run a couple of dive and stretch plays from under center. You can have 3 plays right and 3 plays left in that set, rep those at the end of practice ahead of or behind 4 minute drill work. 10-15 snaps 2 times a week from the beginning of fall camp forward would have everyone set up fine to pick up 10 yards on 3 snaps or at least a prayer of it. You can even add in a QB sneak to that and you'd have a legit additional option in any game on 4th and inches. 

These fucking offensive "geniuses" that decided somewhere along the way to erase these things out of the playbook in exchange for more variants on preexisting passing calls from their favorite gun formation are absolute idiots for doing so. It's bad football. 

Or Christ, if you have to be fucking exotic and show everyone how smart you are, have a wildcat set ready any time for this. Same premise. It's fucking dumb to not have these options. I was hoping to hear that Jeff Brohm had a stroke in his sleep last night and could no longer coach football going forward. They gave that dumbfuck a raise in the offseason. He's fucking worthless. 

I love the way college football brings out the joy in people's hearts, lol.  

I do this too, of course--actually in this very thread when the DB tried to shoulder check a guy and gave up a TD as a result.

We'll get pissed and go on a rant despite the fact the teams involved are in another conference and in whom we have no rooting interest.  Yet we'll wish for an exploded blood vessel in the head of a coach who does something stupid.  God I love this sport.

Edited by Augustus
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 10:47 AM, Augustus said:

I love the way college football brings out the joy in people's hearts, lol.  

I do this too, of course--actually in this very thread when the DB tried to shoulder check a guy and gave up a TD as a result.

We'll get pissed and go on a rant despite the fact the teams involved are in another conference and in whom we have no rooting interest.  Yet we'll wish for an exploded blood vessel in the head of a coach who does something stupid.  God I love this sport.

Aside from rooting for certain individual players and former Longhorns, my NFL experience now is pretty much just enjoying the misfortune of people I hate. Each season the amount of people I despise grows, expanding the opportunity to enjoy more and more demise. Seeing Baker Mayfield snap a femur and writhe around in unspeakable pain would be my own private Super Bowl. But there are also smaller victories, like an assistant coach I hate being humiliated and ultimately fired and sent to the bowels of obscurity. It's the league of dreams.