12 Team College Football Playoff On The Way

Hiphopopotamos

On 9/4/2022 at 11:20 AM, Dutchrudder said:

I hope this means the regular season is shortened to remove some non-conference games. What's the point of beating 2 FCS schools every year?  It's a built-in preseason that nobody cares about. 

Aso, cut down on dumb Bowls. No team should be in a Bowl unless they can get 7-8 wins in the regular season. We don't need any more GalleryFurniture.com Bowls. 

Focus on the playoffs and a few major bowls, that's what will matter the most. Winning a championship will be so much more meaningful with 12 teams, no more BS leaving out 1 loss or undefeated teams. This is gonna be great!

Frankly with a 12 team playoff I hope they just drop most of the Bowls entirely.

The Bowl Games are what you fight to get to the final four to play in.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I wonder if Texas leaves for the SEC if they knew about the CFP expansion when they made the decision to leave the B12.

Possibly. But I think it just came down to the fact that with the current TV deals expiring we knew we would be left way behind when they got renegotiated.

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Minimum of 6 Bowls staying per this chart ??

Fi3B6BlWQAIfgVT?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah. That's all we need. And it would give those the prestige that Bowl Games used to have. Though there would be seven right? One of the National Title game?

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Rooting for less football seems weird.  I do wish they'd restructure the bowl tie-ins to create more competitive and rare matchups.

I guess fair enough. I just don't really watch the other Bowl Games outside of what Texas is playing in. They are already the NIT of Football.

Edited by Valmy77

45 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The Committee is fine for seeding. It works well enough in all the other college sports.

I disagree, we need less subjectivity and more objective, hard, data to distinguish the deserving teams.  That is one thing the BCS did well and combined with a playoff, would create an awesome format where everything is decided on the field.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

I disagree, we need less subjectivity and more objective, hard, data to distinguish the deserving teams.  That is one thing the BCS did well and combined with a playoff, would create an awesome format where everything is decided on the field.  

I mean I am cool either way. With a 12 team field it becomes more unlikely some worthy team will get left out besides perhaps some undefeated G5 team.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't understand thinking all the teams in that graphic deserve to play for the championship

They are going to have to beat two of the top 4 teams in the country to get there. They do that and I think they earned the right.

Just now, Zeus said:

Tulane? lol

A Tulane that beat Ohio State, USC, and Georgia? 

• Like 1

Also, the way football is set up it's obviously possible for a G5 team to go undefeated. This format makes it far less likely a team could go undefeated and have no chance at the title. But it's still possible (two undefeated G5 champs for example).

Any league where it's possible for a team to follow all scheduling rules and finish undefeated without winning the title does not have a true championship playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't understand thinking all the teams in that graphic deserve to play for the championship

Every single one of these teams had a shot to play for the championship. Did they all deserve it? Yes, because they made the field. Did St. Peters "deserve" to be in the EE? Yes, because they earned it. Did Kentucky deserve to go straight to the championship because they were Kentucky? No, their pedigree is irrelevant. The notion that only a select few "deserve" what they've always had is ludicrous. I greatly look forward to the day an undefeated SEC team (not named Texas) loses to a "lesser" program on any given playoff Saturday and there can be no excuse given that they didn't want to be there. It's a sport. Play the game.

Latest bracket, schedule and scores for the 2022 NCAA men's ...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

College football has to be the only sport that has a large segment of fans that don’t want things settled on a field of play between two teams. 

Remember how enraged everybody was last season when undeserving #3 Georgia won? No?

Right. Nobody will think that because they just saw that team kick ass on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

College football has to be the only sport that has a large segment of fans that don’t want things settled on a field of play between two teams. 

I see it as not giving certain teams mulligans because of their history, brand, etc.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, the way football is set up it's obviously possible for a G5 team to go undefeated. This format makes it far less likely a team could go undefeated and have no chance at the title. But it's still possible (two undefeated G5 champs for example).

Any league where it's possible for a team to follow all scheduling rules and finish undefeated without winning the title does not have a true championship playoff. 

Yes, all undefeated teams should get a chance.  Even in the new format, that won't be guaranteed for 2 or more undefeated G5 teams, will it?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WBT said:

I see it as not giving certain teams mulligans because of their history, brand, etc.

That happened plenty before anyway. With a 12 team playoff now it will be harder to give some teams mulligans and not grant the same to the TCUs of the world.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TheYoungHorn said:

In the hypothetical world of a 12-team playoff this year, do you think Sark would tell Quinn to have a seat in the OK St and TCU games? 

Because, we are one win away from being there this year. 

I don't think the problem was that Sark just wasn't motivated enough to win those games. We were one win away from a lot this year.

The Ok State game will stick with me for awhile. Worst loss of the season.

Edited by Valmy77

10 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

In the hypothetical world of a 12-team playoff this year, do you think Sark would tell Quinn to have a seat in the OK St and TCU games? 

Because, we are one win away from being there this year. 

So that Card could lose it like he did the Tech game?

33 minutes ago, Constant said:

They earned the right to be there by meeting the requirements. They beat Ohio State and the entire country is behind them against USC. 

ok?

They lose by 50 and it's back to what I said, we are wasting a game letting teams who don't play anyone into the playoff. 

The AAC and sun belt or whatever should all just have their own playoff - like the NIT. 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I wonder if Texas leaves for the SEC if they knew about the CFP expansion when they made the decision to leave the B12.

I'm sure someone else has done the research, but I'd imagine that historically the odds of being an at-large team under this new format would be astronomically higher in the SEC than Big 12.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Just read up some more on how this is going to be organized and I love the fact that Notre Dame since they are not part of a conference will not qualify for a bye week. Some of the younger folks that may not remember, the conferences sure seemed to acquiesce to Notre Dame during the berth of the Bowl Coalition. Also, the Rose Bowl was a bitch that decided not to be part of the Bowl Coalition and failed to release the BIG10 and PAC10 from their contract. Even when the BCS was born Notre Dame got some rules written into the BCS that applied to them only. I guess the olds that ran the bowl games enjoyed getting on their knees for the Irish so that they would not be turned down if they selected them to their bowl game. I am glad this time around both got told to fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Zeus said:

ok?

They lose by 50 and it's back to what I said, we are wasting a game letting teams who don't play anyone into the playoff. 

I have no problem with the 5th seed getting to what amounts to a bye. Be the 5th seed and get an easier game. But sometimes the Tulane will be tougher than you think.

The AAC and sun belt or whatever should all just have their own playoff - like the NIT. 

The NCAA Basketball tournament doesn't exclude the AAC or the Sun Belt and neither should the football one.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The Committee is fine for seeding. It works well enough in all the other college sports.

No other college sport is subject to the level and amount of bias either....  The BCS removes most of the human bias it wasn't perfect but it's struggles were separating 2 from 3 in tough situations.  Now that it really would only have to separate 12 from 13 the volume of complaints won't be nearly as high.

35 minutes ago, mvlonghorns said:

The old in me that enjoyed regular seasons being play-off games like this year for TCU with us and Michigan vs Ohio State.

nod-alright.gif

The person that embraces change and can tell #13 to cry me a river since there are already 4 more teams then there should be in the play-offs. Also, we have a better chance to make it into the play-off even with a crappy loss due to our name on the front of the jersey.

crazy-dance-funny-dance.gif

Before the 4 team play-off was started I always felt that right number was 6 teams with the two highest ranked getting a bye week. I grew to accept that 8 was probably the right number with the 6 highest conference champs getting an automatic bid as long as they were ranked in the top 12 with the first set of games being at home for the higher ranked conference champs. What I hated most about 6+ teams is that if I were 2005 Texas I would have hated to have to play an extra pretender and risk injury in order to get to a semi-final game.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The person that embraces change and can tell #13 to cry me a river since there are already 4 more teams then there should be in the play-offs. Also, we have a better chance to make it into the play-off even with a crappy loss due to our name on the front of the jersey.

All those Mack Brown Holiday Bowl teams could have been contenders.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The committee is way better than the BCS system was.  I'd be fine with reintroducing a computer component, but the media/coaches polls were downright trash.

Edited by JBJ

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know logically the advantages of a bye outweigh this, but holy hell the prospect of a playoff game at DKR may have me irrationally rooting for a 5-8 seed should the opportunity arise.

Yeah. A game with those kind of stakes at DKR? We kind of got that this year with TCU but still, that would be amazing.

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Still baffles me to this day. Imagine if the NFL, NBA, MLB and college basketball did it this way. Arbitrary rankings deciding who plays for the title.

95% of college football games are pointless. Every year, there are a very small select number of teams who have a legit shot under this format. You lose a game for most and season done. Ridiculous. Majority of the games do nothing towards the end championship result and the rankings,. Every other sport aside from this one has a legit playoff. And that includes every other level of college football. 

Bowl games have glorified scrimmages. And yes, that includes the Ny6 bowls. 3 games matter, the 3 playoff games. That's it. I hope more and more players skip these pointless scrimmages. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Just read up some more on how this is going to be organized and I love the fact that Notre Dame since they are not part of a conference will not qualify for a bye week. Some of the younger folks that may not remember, the conferences sure seemed to acquiesce to Notre Dame during the berth of the Bowl Coalition. Also, the Rose Bowl was a bitch that decided not to be part of the Bowl Coalition and failed to release the BIG10 and PAC10 from their contract. Even when the BCS was born Notre Dame got some rules written into the BCS that applied to them only. I guess the olds that ran the bowl games enjoyed getting on their knees for the Irish so that they would not be turned down if they selected them to their bowl game. I am glad this time around both got told to fuck off.

I know in the initial reports it was said the top 4 ranked conference champions but I haven't seen that same language since it became official. Is that still the case or did they change it to just read the top 4 ranked teams get the bye week. I'm all for ND getting screwed by this, but I'm sure they'll be in the B1G before they're back to being ranked in the top 4.

8 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

No other college sport is subject to the level and amount of bias either....  The BCS removes most of the human bias it wasn't perfect but it's struggles were separating 2 from 3 in tough situations.  Now that it really would only have to separate 12 from 13 the volume of complaints won't be nearly as high.

BCS polling or committee does not really matter. We know which conferences will get the bye and if you don't like it make your self part of those conferences (i.e. Notre Dame/PAC 12 schools). Two to four at larges from those anointed conferences with legitimate shots at winning it all are going to get bids. The rest are all in it for the random upset but with no shot at winning it all. In pro-football any team can beat another team on any given game day. In college football there is a large separation between the top 2 to 6 teams at the end of the season and the rest of the field. I will be incredibly surprised if we ever see wild-card type runs like the Giants against the Patriots in college football.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

BCS polling or committee does not really matter. We know which conferences will get the bye and if you don't like it make your self part of those conferences (i.e. Notre Dame/PAC 12 schools). Two to four at larges from those anointed conferences with legitimate shots at winning it all are going to get bids. The rest are all in it for the random upset but with no shot at winning it all. In pro-football any team can beat another team on any given game day. In college football there is a large separation between the top 2 to 6 teams at the end of the season and the rest of the field. I will be incredibly surprised if we ever see wild-card type runs like the Giants against the Patriots in college football.

We'll def see a 12 seed upsetting a 5 seed in our lifetime.. if it can happen with a one seed vs a 16 seed in bball.. it can happen in the CFP