Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Haven't heard anything, but there's no way he's not out for awhile after landing on his shoulder like that.  He broke his clavicle or hurt his shoulder.

Blue doesn't have his size though.  He looks like every good Alabama running back of the last decade.

Sarkisian, perhaps BSing, said ribs when he landed on the ball and they didn’t yet know how serious. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Sarkisian, perhaps BSing, said ribs when he landed on the ball and they didn’t yet know how serious. 

well that could be good news.  there was no reason to bring him back but I was assuming shoulder/collar bone based on reports.

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Haven't heard anything, but there's no way he's not out for awhile after landing on his shoulder like that.  He broke his clavicle or hurt his shoulder.

Blue doesn't have his size though.  He looks like every good Alabama running back of the last decade.

It isn't his shoulder, bruised sternum is what they believe.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

well that could be good news.  there was no reason to bring him back but I was assuming shoulder/collar bone based on reports.

It looked like a broken collarbone to my completely untrained and ignorant eye. If it is “just” ribs, that might be a bonus, though hurt ribs are miserable even for people who aren’t D1 running backs. 

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

when he regressed late last year instead of improving the die was cast.  We can win with him but he's a David Ash/game manager at this point which means the OL/Run game and D have to be nails.  oh and ST's need to not be a negative.  make your FG's under 50 and don't give up big returns.

That’s all Stetson Bennett was for Georgia with Kirby’s first run. He executed the offense and hit guys when they were open and didn’t turn the ball over. He also has legs that Ewers can’t match but Ewers has the better arm. We have enough offensive weapons for Ewers not needing to go above and beyond. It sure would be nice tho because it would ultimately make our offense unstoppable. Still, winning the CCG is certainly achievable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It looked like a broken collarbone to my completely untrained and ignorant eye. If it is “just” ribs, that might be a bonus, though hurt ribs are miserable even for people who aren’t D1 running backs. 

yeah, thats why I said "could".

23 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

As opposed to all the times when it’s a glorious place?

You don’t necessarily have to beat pressure deep. Fast guys catching the ball and running can do that, and it’s even more conducive to beating pressure. 

Sark said our 3rd down conversion rate was shit yesterday. Yesterday Quinn couldn’t hit a WR over 20 yards. Yes, 3rd and long is never a glorious place to be but if it shakes out like that against Bama they way it did yesterday we might get buried. I hope not. If our defense can get those turnovers…we have the talent on both sides to get a win. I don’t know how much Sark appreciates how much firepower he failed to harness with Rojo and Bijan. We have to spread the ball around bc we know they’ll have guys on Worthy and JTS (favorite targets.) I am hoping we will see Spider-Man (Juan Davis) in an X factor role. Getting to meet all the TE’s at the surly Burnt Ends event in May this year was awesome. Hearing both Gunner and JT talk about Juan and how spidey man like fast and elusive he can be I hope that’s what gets unveiled next Saturday. Like to see them use more of the TEs. That’s all I got. Quinn at least protected the ball yesterday. The long ball is a glaring issue that needs to be addressed. No need to waste downs on that shit if he can’t make the throw next Saturday. 

Poster on one of the 9.95 sites went though all of Ewers incompletions and added some commentary. Thought it was interesting.

Spoiler

Look, as big fans with huge expectations, we always expect perfection. Of course, that never happens. So, I thought it was worth looking at each of Quinn’s incompletions to see what could have happened. Quinn and staff are doing the same thing this morning so why not?

1Q

1) Low throw to Sanders that he lost when he hit the ground. 2 blitzers were on Ewers quick. Tough play given the immediate pressure. No fault of Quinn
2) Worthy catch that was ruled to hit the ground. Looked like a catch. No fault of Quinn
3) Underthrown deep ball to Worthy along sideline. Should have been a PI but he should have made a better throw. Negative but should be a PI call and 1st down. 
4) Deep throw to Mitchell. Either a bad throw or miscommunication. He stepped up in the pocket and had his feet under him. Probably should have led Mitchell to the middle of the field? This looks worse to me on replay than it did in the game. 

2Q

5) Brooks drop for an apparent TD
6) Pass to end zone to Sanders who caught it, but lost it when the ball hit the top of the Rice players helmet as he was bringing it down. Tough throw but it was right there and Sanders had it.
7) Tried to hit Sanders in the seam but the Rice defender came back over to cover the middle and made a play. No issue for me
😎 Worthy stepped out of bounds on the catch Not counted as an incomplete but it was a penalty and loss of down. Bad luck
9) Deep ball to Worthy that he threw him out of bounds. Just a poor throw. Ewers feet were set and no pressure. Negative play by Quinn
10) Attempted throw to Mitchell towards the end zone. Quinn hit during the throw. Another miscommunication along the Oline during a blitz. He gets hit like that by a Bama player, he might not return.

3Q

11) Hit Sanders in the helmet. Not sure what the issue was here. Miscommunication?
12) Deep ball to Mitchell off his back foot. That was a very obvious PI penalty not called. Could he have set up in the pocket earlier and taken the hit to get the completion? Seemed like it but he was also unlucky with the no call.

From a stat standpoint: -
-Ewers lost a nice completion when Worthy stepped out of bounds that didn’t count as an attempt. 
-Worthy drop(looked like a catch)
-Brooks dropped TD pass
-2 PI penalties not called even though Ewers didn’t put it out in front of them when open
-There are a couple to Sanders that he had in his hands but was a little unlucky not able to bring down at least 1 of them.

However, there were 3 deep balls where Quinn had the ability to set his feet and make a throw to wide open receivers and didn’t do it. 

Overall, he didn’t play horribly but he should have made at least 2 of those deep throws regardless of PI, miscommunication or pressure. If Quinn hits 2 of the 4 deep balls, we’re having a different conversation today.

• Hook 'Em 5

I’m done asking for the back up quarterbacks after this last decade and the Casey Thompson debacle. Not saying MM or Arch aren’t the ones but I’m not gonna hold my breath on the “he completed deep passes in the spring game!”

Of course our luck that we get the highest rated recruit since I forgot who and Looks like there’s no way he’s a bust etc etc…He’s not necessarily a bust but he is definitely not living up to expectations.

I’m sorry Arch. Hopefully luck is on your side.

Who knows about bama. Wouldn’t surprise me if we got blown out or beat them. Last years first games wasn’t the best either if iirc and a lot of us expected to get blown out by bama. Then ewers played lights out before he got knocked out and made a deep pass to worthy!

I’m honestly surprised how good the defense looks. We have that going for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Sark said our 3rd down conversion rate was shit yesterday. Yesterday Quinn couldn’t hit a WR over 20 yards. Yes, 3rd and long is never a glorious place to be but if it shakes out like that against Bama they way it did yesterday we might get buried. I hope not. If our defense can get those turnovers…we have the talent on both sides to get a win. I don’t know how much Sark appreciates how much firepower he failed to harness with Rojo and Bijan. We have to spread the ball around bc we know they’ll have guys on Worthy and JTS (favorite targets.) I am hoping we will see Spider-Man (Juan Davis) in an X factor role. Getting to meet all the TE’s at the surly Burnt Ends event in May this year was awesome. Hearing both Gunner and JT talk about Juan and how spidey man like fast and elusive he can be I hope that’s what gets unveiled next Saturday. Like to see them use more of the TEs. That’s all I got. Quinn at least protected the ball yesterday. The long ball is a glaring issue that needs to be addressed. No need to waste downs on that shit if he can’t make the throw next Saturday. 

Yes, any team consistently in third and long against Alabama is going to get worked. 

I’m sure we all understand how useful and versatile Bijan and Roschon were much more than Sarkisian did and also how much he wasted them. 

I watched many lesser talents on lesser talented teams connect on deep balls all Saturday afternoon. It’s kind of mind boggling that a D1 starting QB would consistently struggle with that type of thing. Though Sark knows his offense becomes much easier to defend without it, so he forces it regardless. If you’re starting QB needs the perfect conditions each snap to execute, it’s hard to picture an efficient offensive attack in college football. That being said, this team is tough out for Alabama. I think this team is talented enough to win in the Big12 without a super efficient offense. As a Texas fan, I think you will find much of your enjoyment this season coming from the defense body slamming opposing QBs. 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Poster on one of the 9.95 sites went though all of Ewers incompletions and added some commentary. Thought it was interesting.

I always love the "analysis" that attempts to correct for receiver or officiating mistakes, as if no other QB suffers the same damn things in every single game.

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s so disappointing that after the offseason hype he still hasn’t shown he can progress past his first read and 8/10 times that read is Worthy still...   He can check down on third and long to his safety valve still but not much else.  We’re going to have some angry receivers at the end of the season if that doesn’t change and recruits will take notice also.  

Edited by Hook1997

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

• Use shorter passing game more
  • Get ball out quicker to help OL & Quinn
  • Quinn has to hit 70%+/gm completions
  • How about more passes to RBs & TEs

Get better week to week... Keep improving 

And that's the answer.  Adjust your scheme to your current players, and not your current players to your scheme.

I'm less concerned with Quinn's "deep ball" than I am with the O line's pass protection...

One thing was obvious,  our QBs are going to be seeing a lot of green in front of them.  We have more weapons than defenses can scheme for....   

With an O-Line that can pass block and a QB who can hit the deep throws, this offense would be virtually unstoppable.  3rd and longs would be a nightmare for DCs.  Do you send the house on a prayer a quick slant doesn't bite you this time... Do you drop 8 against the empty set knowing if the QB decided to take off, it could be 3rd and 20 and he'd still have time to stop and make a Sandwich and still pick up spare change...

You can't cover them all

• Hook 'Em 1

I expected more from the downfield passing game after all of the talk about how it was a focus. That said, three guys caught a TD pass and 8 (?) receivers caught a ball, though not all from Ewers. I wonder if recruits will notice that?

I get that the deep ball failures are frustrating. I also get that you can’t just abandon it. I don’t know how you solve the problem or I’d be game planning for my team’s next game. Maybe you have to go more toward Mitchell and Neyor and just let them be better than the defender until something else clicks. Maybe you have to make the D pay with YAC in crossing routes to squeeze them more. Dunno. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

This is why I don't get the first-round grades from so many, despite him not having cleaned up some very important parts of playing the QB position. The angles and release and all that is great, but that's not nearly important as being able to read a defense and get to the 2nd or 3rd read, pocket presence, timing, etc. Not to mention the deep ball, that's a huge red flag for an NFL QB. 

And I feel like a lot of our fans are pushing him out the door to start the Arch train, but what if he doesn't get a first-round grade? Does he go higher than Caleb Williams (lol), Drake Maye? What about Penix from Wa. If he's looking at a 2nd or 3rd round grade why isn't he coming back next year? 

If he comes back to play college, he’ll be transferring imo. He’s struggling at things that are important to Sarks system. 

15 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s so disappointing that after the offseason hype he still hasn’t shown he can progress past his first read and 8/10 times that read is Worthy still...   He can check down on third and long to his safety valve still but not much else.  We’re going to have some angry receivers at the end of the season if that doesn’t change and recruits will take notice also.  

I get this, but I am more an incomplete here. I don’t remember a throw to Worthy, where he forced the ball. I think that is a function of playing Rice. If your first read is open, the hall is going to go there. Let’s see how that looks vs Bama, because that won’t be the case 

16 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

And that's the answer.  Adjust your scheme to your current players, and not your current players to your scheme.

I'm less concerned with Quinn's "deep ball" than I am with the O line's pass protection...

One thing was obvious,  our QBs are going to be seeing a lot of green in front of them.  We have more weapons than defenses can scheme for....   

With an O-Line that can pass block and a QB who can hit the deep throws, this offense would be virtually unstoppable.  3rd and longs would be a nightmare for DCs.  Do you send the house on a prayer a quick slant doesn't bite you this time... Do you drop 8 against the empty set knowing if the QB decided to take off, it could be 3rd and 20 and he'd still have time to stop and make a Sandwich and still pick up spare change...

You can't cover them all

The o-line is the biggest question mark. If Texas can’t fix the pass pro from the interior line, the 50+ comments about Ewers will be meaningless. The Rice DC went out and hunted the guards with success, imagine what that looks like with Bama athletes 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yes, any team consistently in third and long against Alabama is going to get worked. 

I’m sure we all understand how useful and versatile Bijan and Roschon were much more than Sarkisian did and also how much he wasted them. 

Is this hyperbole and my meter is broken? 277 touches in 12 games, good for 23 touches a game. 1800 total Yards and 20 TD’s just for Bijan. Roschon had 107 touches. 377 times those two guys had the ball in their hands lol. That doesn’t count incomplete passes which I’m sure there were a few. Aside from the tcu game which we all know was just abysmal, we were held to like a 2.5 YPC that game, we gave Bijan 20 + carries every damn game and threw him passes haha. We didn’t waste him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

image.png.b13498ae6730c921ab13c669e1d056fd.png

3 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Nash has a great Twitter

Should have been DPI above pic. 

On the throw out of bounds and the picture above I do like what I see from Worthy in terms of adjusting. We never really saw that last year. 

If Whit doesn't run his DB into JT on that long pass to the end zone that is a touchdown.

One thing that was nice was Quinn taking off and getting the 1st downs on 3rd down. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Is this hyperbole and my meter is broken? 277 touches in 12 games, good for 23 touches a game. 1800 total Yards and 20 TD’s just for Bijan. Roschon had 107 touches. 377 times those two guys had the ball in their hands lol. That doesn’t count incomplete passes which I’m sure there were a few. Aside from the tcu game which we all know was just abysmal, we were held to like a 2.5 YPC that game, we gave Bijan 20 + carries every damn game and threw him passes haha. We didn’t waste him. 

It’s sarcasm attempting to highlight the fact that, of fucking course, Sarkisian knew what he had in Robinson and Johnson. Those weren’t the first uber-talented guys he’s had on his offense. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Yes, some people are taking it literal.  My point was that our projected 1st round golden arm QB couldn’t complete a pass over 12 yards against the vaunted Rice defense and didn’t even look head and shoulders better than a dude that has transferred 3 times.  The point I’m making is that Quinn is extremely over rated.  I just don’t see “it”.   I hope I’m wrong bc I’m tired of watching our Longhorns displaying mediocrity.  I know it’s game 1.  He can improve.  I just don’t see it.  He missed a wide open AD Mitchell that had his guy beat by 5 year yards bc Quinn couldn’t set his feet and step into his throw.  Maybe it was the heat… who knows.  But these are the same issues we saw last year.

Sark apparently recognizes the problem.   Stated in his postgame press conf Milwee has moved to the sideline this year to improve communication with Quinn.   Jackson now upstairs.  

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.b13498ae6730c921ab13c669e1d056fd.png

Should have been DPI above pic. 

On the throw out of bounds and the picture above I do like what I see from Worthy in terms of adjusting. We never really saw that last year. 

If Whit doesn't run his DB into JT on that long pass to the end zone that is a touchdown.

One thing that was nice was Quinn taking off and getting the 1st downs on 3rd down. 

The only bad throws IMO were the throws to Worthy deep. He had time on those throws and just didn't get it done. Sometimes I wonder if they are running full speed in practice because QE seems to misjudge Worthy's speed a lot. The ball to Sanders was spotted well just two receivers in the same area. Sanders reaction to Whit says everything. He was hot. If you look at the throw up the seam JT breaks off to hit the defender but it looks like the throw would've carried high enough had he just continued his route.

Things I liked. Worthy attempted a lot of catches with his hands and actually fought for the ball. QE ran and picked up yards to move the chains. QE is the kind of QB you have to keep clean. If we can not allow quick interior pressure I think we are going to be fine. I know this is something people hate to hear, but coach didn't call any of his razzle-dazzle yesterday. None at all and he is usually good for a couple. I think he might have something planned for Bama. We will see.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I always love the "analysis" that attempts to correct for receiver or officiating mistakes, as if no other QB suffers the same damn things in every single game.

I agree that they shouldn’t be used as an excuse, but I do think it’s important to note when looking at the context of a performance.

If Brooks catches a walk in TD or Jwitt and Sanders don’t both try to catch the ball in the endzone on a scramble drill, how different do we feel today about Ewers performance? 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I agree that they shouldn’t be used as an excuse, but I do think it’s important to note when looking at the context of a performance.

If Brooks catches a walk in TD or Jwitt and Sanders don’t both try to catch the ball in the endzone on a scramble drill, how different do we feel today about Ewers performance? 

Would that have changed the perception that his footwork and decision making haven't improved any?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I get it, and I'm usually the #1 pollyanna on this board, but something isn't passing the eyeball test.  

I’m not saying there aren’t issues, but 6 total TDs without a turnover and still being upset despite the results would be getting into “but VY is throwing from a weird angle” territory. 

To be clear, Ewers missed a couple of TD passes, so it wasn’t just all bad luck with his receivers. It’s frustrating and more than a little baffling. Leaving aside drops or whatever, if he hits one of those shots to Worthy I’d feel a little more encouraged. But he didn’t, so I’m not. 

I was encouraged that Worthy really appeared to know where those balls were and went after them. Keep the ball on the field and let him and Mitchell and Neyor go after them or draw the PI that should have been called. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The only bad throws IMO were the throws to Worthy deep. He had time on those throws and just didn't get it done. Sometimes I wonder if they are running full speed in practice because QE seems to misjudge Worthy's speed a lot. The ball to Sanders was spotted well just two receivers in the same area. Sanders reaction to Whit says everything. He was hot. If you look at the throw up the seam JT breaks off to hit the defender but it looks like the throw would've carried high enough had he just continued his route.
  Things I liked. Worthy attempted a lot of catches with his hands and actually fought for the ball. QE ran and picked up yards to move the chains. QE is the kind of QB you have to keep clean. If we can not allow quick interior pressure I think we are going to be fine. I know this is something people hate to hear, but coach didn't call any of his razzle-dazzle yesterday. None at all and he is usually good for a couple. I think he might have something planned for Bama. We will see.

Yeah worthy looked good. He looked like he went through this off season thinking I’m getting the hell out of here this year lol with a good draft grade
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

So I think people don’t understand that what Quinn is supposed to be able to do is be elite.  That’s not to say the team isn’t a good team or Quinn isn’t elite, but a big xii championship isn’t most fans want. They want a playoff berth and connection on deep balls is the difference between playoffs and dogshit big xii championship contention

the good news is it’s not like he has a noodle arm, he has the arm just not the touch yet. Hopefully he finds the touch soon. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "strength" of the Rice defense is in their corners.  That doesn't excuse shitty deep balls by Ewers.  

What it REALLY doesn't excuse is a pretty lame rushing attack (4.1 ypc) against a team that gave up 5.3 ypc against lesser teams last year.  This offensive line appears to have problems.  That's not gonna help Ewers out one bit.

Man, I know we lost a #8 NFL pick RB and then a 4th rounder, but I’m pretty sure the run game will be better that it was last season.

SurlyHorns-August 2023

Paraphrased

"Once he settled in..."

"...was this close..."

Sark's interview at the end of the first quarter was concerning when he said the O line needed to communicate better and QE was nervous. Nervous? WTF?

You are at home after a full season and an off season playing against the one team you're assured to smoke by 50 points. If there ever was a time to come out with some swagger and John Wick fuck you up attitude, this was it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Not that this is groundbreaking news, but this is why people need to take preseason quotes from players with a huge grain of salt.  Every year, "things are different".  Well, last year was different, until it wasn't.  NOW it's different, again?  Year after year after year, lather rinse and repeat.  These are kids.  They don't have a high level view of the program.

I mean, outside of a haircut, a moderate shave, and some lost baby fat, I don't see much difference.  To hear the $9.95-ers banking on August player quotes, you'd think Quinn had morphed into a more mobile Tom Brady.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet