Concerts you are attending

bamachine

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

ACL LIVE PRESALE
begins Thurs. 2/8
Valid 10AM - 10PM CT.

Code: RARWT24

still have nightmares about when you and i saw him 17 years ago.  was like seeing your childhood her get publicly raped by a donkey-pig mutant.  hopefully this better venue will improve the experience.

2 hours ago, stc said:

i've had too many bad experience to give it another go. crossing my fingers for you folks brave enough to chance it. 

Never seen him live but have heard enough from friends/acquaintances who have seen him in the last 10 or so years that I’m pretty sure it will be terrible.

Dylan is tempting... not necessarily because I love his music but he is a legend so maybe worth seeing him.

Adam Ant is coming in May with The English Beat (or whatever is left of The English Beat) and then I saw Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have a show coming up.

Saturday night:

Daydream Twins- leaned really heavy into the shoegaze aesthetic. vocals were very buried but the singer seemed alright. they were fine but unremarkable. 

Alex Maas- i've been liking his more lowkey psychedelic stuff in comparison to the heavier black angels material. i think his voice is well suited for it. this was not one of the more inspired sets i've seen from them but was still enjoyable. really like watching robb kidd on drums. 

Who doesn't love a good convenience store metal concert? Sudden Deaf is the band, they were good. Reminded me of the sword. Apparently this place at 29th and Rio Grande does this regularly. The reactions of people stopping in to buy shit were pretty funny.
20240217_193327.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stc said:

Who doesn't love a good convenience store metal concert? Sudden Deaf is the band, they were good. Reminded me of the sword. Apparently this place at 29th and Rio Grande does this regularly. The reactions of people stopping in to buy shit were pretty funny.
20240217_193327.jpg

Can a motherfucker buy a bag of gardetto's and a Dr. Pepper without all the racket and ruckus? 

On 2/15/2024 at 6:27 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'll be at this one for sure:  daughter's band has been added to SPIN's 3/16 party with Sunny Day Real Estate:

Sunny Day Real Estate + Get Up Kids + Die Spitz SXSW

That ought to be a fun one. Saw Sunny Day about a year or so ago when they first got back together at Emo's. Really fun show. Get Up Kids are always a good time too. Still haven't had a chance to check out your daughter's band, but it's on my list. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That ought to be a fun one. Saw Sunny Day about a year or so ago when they first got back together at Emo's. Really fun show. Get Up Kids are always a good time too. Still haven't had a chance to check out your daughter's band, but it's on my list. 

Free show Friday at Hotel Vegas.

• Hook 'Em 2

I saw Styx last night at the SA Rodeo. I'd never seen them before, so as an 80's kid, this was cool to check off my list. They put on a really good show and they sounded great for their age. I know Dennis DeYoung and the rest of the band had a riff and parted, but the guy who replaced him was a good 1B DeYoung. Played just about all the hits i liked, except "The Best of Times."

They did get in Mr. Roboto. Guys could see the future in 1983!

On 2/19/2024 at 9:46 AM, stc said:

20240217_193327.jpg

Ha.  That's my regular spot .  A nice older Indian gentlemen with a funny little dog that sits in a chair on the front porch owns it and is always there.  Any given night it will be absolutely packed inside and out with young people watching metal, techno, dj, rap concerts.  I wade through the fog of weed smoke and the masses to get my zyn, jellyfish, and other essentials.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:15 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I am.  Looking forward to seeing Ben Kweller again, only other time was at ACL and I was too far away to totally enjoy it.  I liked what I heard.  Pussy Gillette is on my list, too.

Awesome. May have to send you a covert location while there.  Was on the railing for Kweller at ACL. Was great.  I'm assuming he's performing. 

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Awesome. May have to send you a covert location while there.  Was on the railing for Kweller at ACL. Was great.  I'm assuming he's performing. 

Yes, he's part of the Walker Lukens combo set.  No idea what that means.  He's also presenting the new award in honor of his deceased son Zev.

• Hook 'Em 1

As jimmyjazz said, DAIISTAR absolutely killed it last night that the Austin Music Awards... did a little 3 song set, as did Pussy Gillette.   Lots of other great musicians last night including an amazing performance by Ian Moore.

DAIISTAR

image.thumb.png.9acb4d1a0ffca8f3e3dac7559053c9a7.png

Pussy Gillette

image.thumb.png.54395293fc78592150da1270ae385641.png

Nathan Calhoun was putting on a show...

image.png.cd5851455462dc5ff474487c1d751c82.png

Ian Moore

image.thumb.png.f0933e28d78d5c47e31b4c56065c9dc6.png

Ben Buck, winner of best hip hop

image.png.c4bcd38832967f3ccc5933da6fba27cc.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife said she was creeped out by Pussy Gillette's guitarist.  Guess I need to buy a cowboy hat.

From what I've seen, that is definitely not his usual look but, yeah, he was performing for the crowd in front of him, for sure.  

On 2/13/2024 at 11:53 AM, nolongerU2horn said:

There's an ACL Festival-sized hole in there

Ha - I got tickets to the Thursday Wrigley show. But that is a good point, I bet they are going to do that. 

Taking the daughters to see Olivia Rodrigo on Wednesday.