Concerts you are attending

bamachine

49 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Gary Clark Jr is at Emo's in Austin March 13.  I don't know if that was a recent addition to his touring or what but seems he's sure to sell out that size of a venue fairly quickly.

I have tix for him in dallas on may 9 at majestic

Dumb question amnesty, please.  

For presales, is there a preferred option between Amex, artist, and platinum presale?  I'd assume I have to designate one when I log in to evil Ticketmaster, and Amex and Platinum start an hour before Artist.  I'm assuming that those are better seats, but obviously, I'm not a golfer.

Just saw an announcement for Lord Huron (for me) with Kasey Musgraves (for my wife) in Austin the week of Thanksgiving, so this is relevant to my interests.

20 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Gary Clark Jr is at Emo's in Austin March 13.  I don't know if that was a recent addition to his touring or what but seems he's sure to sell out that size of a venue fairly quickly.

You know you're old when its someone you'd like to see again, but the 10:15 start is out of the question.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, stc said:

Really wish I could get back to Austin for this.  I really want to see Ghostwoman.  They don't tour on this side of the pond much.

I'm going old school tomorrow night.  Ministry, Gary Numan, and Front Line Assembly.  

On 12/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, stc said:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd3k81ch9hvuctc.cloudfront.net%2Fcompany%2FXP2nn6%2Fimages%2Fc6152a26-18d5-4146-bf73-b34fac9497d7.jpeg&t=1702486581&ymreqid=61d7518d-a08e-b2f3-1c66-180001014300&sig=tUNEpEwXujw8ARXmJCWhuQ--~D

3 hours ago, Nuge said:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd3k81ch9hvuctc.cloudfront.net%2Fcompany%2FXP2nn6%2Fimages%2Fc6152a26-18d5-4146-bf73-b34fac9497d7.jpeg&t=1702486581&ymreqid=61d7518d-a08e-b2f3-1c66-180001014300&sig=tUNEpEwXujw8ARXmJCWhuQ--~D

Anyone going?  I still haven't seen the Black Angels live and probably should go to that... but Friday has Courtney Barnett, Psychedelic Pron Crumpets and Orions Belte.  Can't do more than one day and I'm sure my wife is not down for going :/ 

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

You know you're old when its someone you'd like to see again, but the 10:15 start is out of the question.  

I skipped Front 242's last ever Austin set a year or so ago because their set time was at midnight.  Oh well, at least I caught them a Mohawk a few years ago.

March lineup in Dallas

Black Joe Lewis at Kessler

Hannah Wicklund at HOB Dallas

Mike Doughty at Deep Ellum Art Co

I’d like to see Kevin Morby but he’s playing in Ft Worth on a Mon.

Jenny Lewis was awesome last night at one of the Moodys.  Stuck to the hits and a couple of cover tunes.  Took Lil' Brown, who, beforehand, had a hard time understanding that there were bands that didn't play large arenas and stadiums like Tay Tay.  She dug the shit out of it.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Jenny Lewis was awesome last night at one of the Moodys. 

I haven't paid much attention to her over the years, but I heard "Puppy & A Truck" on the radio today and definitely dug it.  Smart songwriting.

Jenny Lewis was awesome last night at one of the Moodys.  Stuck to the hits and a couple of cover tunes.  Took Lil' Brown, who, beforehand, had a hard time understanding that there were bands that didn't play large arenas and stadiums like Tay Tay.  She dug the shit out of it.

Wife and I went to see her last night in Dallas. Great show. I love her. Cute as hell and sassy as fuck. Really wish she’d cover a Rilo Kiley song or two.

f67f23bc83f2a0f361afbe6be973b821.jpg

8c51a7dae4a5c1d2270560bf9b015903.jpg

Wife and I went to see her last night in Dallas. Great show. I love her. Cute as hell and sassy as fuck. Really wish she’d cover a Rilo Kiley song or two.

f67f23bc83f2a0f361afbe6be973b821.jpg

8c51a7dae4a5c1d2270560bf9b015903.jpg

Still annoyed I screwed myself and had to miss her this go around. Always a lot of fun.

She used to play With Arms Outstretched a bunch, but that’s about the only RK song I remember seeing her play. WAO was always awesome though because it just became a massive song along.

Man, we won't be able to hit up any SXSW shows until maybe the 16th and the leftovers on the 17th but every year I'm just floored by the options... not just "official" shows but all the shows that are f'ing everywhere...

Looks like Kevin Morby will be at High Noon...

image.thumb.png.cc92f903b4705fcd7663062dfaf41dc1.png

• Hook 'Em 1

saw him during sxsw at the back room on riverside in maybe 2001...it's my go to answer for worst concert i've ever seen. he wore a leather jumpsuit that was 5 sizes too small and he couldn't even zip it up in the front. did a leg kick after every solo and flicked a pick into the crowd. it was hilariously bad. 

Had a fun weekend of shows.

Friday - Ministry, Gary Numan, and Front Line Assembly.  Ministry started off with 7 of their new songs.  Opened with B.D.E. and played another 6 songs that pretty much sounded the same.  Al thanked everyone for their patience with the new songs and went right into N.W.O. then Just One Fix and a bunch from Land of Rape and Honey as well as Mind Is a Terrible thing to Taste.  They had the volume cranked to 11 and my usual white noise tinnitus was screaming and kept me from sleeping later that night.  Al looked the healthiest I've ever seen him.  Present, soberish, and into the crowd.  Last time I saw Ministry he was so fucked up that he had bmx bike handlebars welded to his mic stand and would've fallen down if he let go of them. 

Gary Numan killed it.  It was my first time to see him and he was much heavier than I would have imagined.  Probably from being on tour with Ministry.  Gotta step it up.  His performance was the best of the night in my opinion.

Front Line Assembly looked old.

Saturday - went to see a great Afrobeat band, Jujuba.  Heavy percussion and brass.  

Sunday - early show - went with the gf and her kids to see Marchfourth.  Imagine the lovechild of a marching band and a circus.  Really fun time.

I received a text on the way home that there was a secret late show for Sgt Papers at a small recording studio/social club.  $15 fuck yeah!  There were less than 30 people there and the Garcia brothers kicked ass!

• Hook 'Em 1

Got tickets for pearl jam’s tues show in seattle in may. I haven’t been to Climate Pledge arena but the view should be something like this according to A View From My Seats.

IMG_0186.thumb.jpeg.9c55515f31336b38315f8c91cb6f2222.jpeg

Wife and I are gonna spend a few extra days up in seattle.

Still need to get tickets for the thurs show. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

IMG_4830.thumb.jpeg.241e580118a2cade62a508cb773fec9e.jpeg

IMG_4916.thumb.jpeg.3bb385fc8193d0352b462d2911cd5a6b.jpeg

IMG_4945.thumb.jpeg.8f7f995c1ae65b551ee8977e25e61c03.jpeg 

Saw G. Love and Special Sauce last week at The Independent in San Francisco.

My wife and I were able to attend the pre-show all-request, acoustic set with G. Love (1st pic). There were supposed to be 50 people attending; however, only 10-12 showed up  

The actual show kicked ass.

The opening act was Jakob’s Castle led by Jakob Nowell (the son of Bradley) who will be joining Sublime as a full-time member.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:41 AM, Jerry Callo said:

You probably made a good decision. GCJ's set was from about 11:45 to 1:20.  Was awesome though!  It was about 90% the upcoming album but I figured that would be the case going in.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

You probably made a good decision. GCJ's set was from about 11:45 to 1:20.  Was awesome though!  It was about 90% the upcoming album but I figured that would be the case going in.

I knew I'd be too late for me, especially with Luck Reunion all day today.

Who was the special guest? 

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I knew I'd be too late for me, especially with Luck Reunion all day today.

Who was the special guest? 

Grace Bowers (she was done before I and most people got in the door) and Marcus King. 

Saw Stevie Nicks and Billy Joel at AT&T Stadium last Saturday.  They both put on a good show but at their age it feels kind of like looking at zoo animals.  She's 75 and he's 74.  Both are still entertaining but clearly had a little trouble on stage.  

FWIW, AT&T is a horrible place to see a concert.   We only paid $70 each for our tickets and I watched more of the show on the giant screen than I did the actual stage.

Bily has a terrific backing band that can help fill in the vocals a little and his rhythm guitarist (Mike DelGuidice) has an outstanding voice.  That guy could belt it out.  During River of Dreams they broke into Tush by ZZ Top with him singing. Then Billy played piano while Mike sang Puccini's Nessum Dorma.  That was absolutely amazing.   During the encore they did a few parts of Zeppelin's Rock and Roll when they finished out with You May Be Right.

It was a fun show overall.  I saw Billy years ago when he and Elton toured together and he obviously sounded better but for $80 a ticket this was fun.  

For those who are interested... Billy and Sting are playing the Alamodome in October.  Sting played The Woodlands in October and even though he's up there in age too he still sounds good.

And here's a few pics...

20240309_214224.jpg

20240309_214211.jpg

20240309_214206.jpg

• Like 1

Mike DelGuidice was the band leader of Big Shot, a Joel tribute/cover band when he got hired on by Billy himself. We saw Big Shot perform at a place in Saratoga Springs the year we moved up here(2011), Joe Frazier was also there and sang Mustang Sally.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Picked up tickets for Rainbow Kitten Surprise in Austin on 5/25. My daughter’s HS graduation is that morning, otherwise we’d have bought tickets for Friday night too. Now, I’m just seeing RKS added a third show for Thursday.

Mike DelGuidice was the band leader of Big Shot, a Joel tribute/cover band when he got hired on by Billy himself. We saw Big Shot perform at a place in Saratoga Springs the year we moved up here(2011), Joe Frazier was also there and sang Mustang Sally.  

a2961d946941798324d486a2fc5a9fef.gif
“…so take your skank hooker wife and get the fuck outta here!”
  • Like 1

Just saw a Drake in OKC. Second night he played here. Took my daughter (13 you sickos), and a couple of her buddies. I can’t lie, the guy puts on a hell of a show. It was him and J Cole. One of the best shows I’ve seen in awhile. 

44 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Off to see LCD Soundsystem in Mexico tomorrow. 

If I'm not back here on Monday, call the embassy. 

Jealous. We've seen them in Brooklyn, Austin, New Orleans and Dublin and had a blast each time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did we see .38 Special in concert last night at the Austin rodeo?
Fuck yeah we did. It was a surprisingly decent show. I award it 3 eagles flying, 2 loud “WOOHOOS!,” and 1 “HELL YEAH, BROTHER!”
Exactly what you’d expect. Nothing more, nothing less.
Question, though….how much do you think those acts get paid for their appearance at the rodeo?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Question, though….how much do you think those acts get paid for their appearance at the rodeo?

A way over the hill band with no new hits but a bunch of old hits?  Total guess, but $25K-$50K?

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A way over the hill band with no new hits but a bunch of old hits?  Total guess, but $25K-$50K?

That was our guess.  I guessed $30k, my wife said that she couldn't see it being worth their time for less than $25k.  It ain't getting rich, but I guess it's a living.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That was our guess.  I guessed $30k, my wife said that she couldn't see it being worth their time for less than $25k.  It ain't getting rich, but I guess it's a living.

I mean, my daughter's band which is essentially a bunch of nobodies on the national scene are getting $4K for a festival in Boise this weekend.  It pays for the flights and the hotel rooms and a little pocket money.  I have to think 38 Special is 10X that.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Sunland Village retirement community. The golf cart mafia knows how to party.

At my last job, we took the company public.  I was tight with the CEO -- I joined as employee #6 -- and for our IPO party he told me to pick the band.  I asked for a budget well beyond Austin PA + band cost, and hired some well-known buddies at probably 3X the going club rate.  Man, they were thrilled.  I swear we didn't pay them $1K but whatever it was made them feel like kings.  (They kinda are, everybody knows them.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1