Roadkill vs trampling longhorns LHN 7 PM

immamac

7 hours ago, SamMan said:

He’s a pre snap penalty from possibly getting a td on the opening drive on two separate occasions. He’s a couple of offsides calls away from keeping Texas out of the end zone on their first score.

Undisciplined football loses you games and wastes opportunities for you 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Some of yall need to get off Traylor's dick my god. There was nothing special that he did there. They pulled off every gimmick, got an onside kick, and their QB was really good. And they lost by 21 with Card starting. He is another Tom Herman, do not fucking want.

Charlie Strong - Teddy Bridgewater

Tom Herman - Greg Ward

Jeff Traylor - Frank Harris

Texas fans are so easily duped after we had back to back failures of a G5 coach with a good QB covering up flaws and falling in love from afar 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, bullet said:

We started wearing them down at the end, but Bijan was 18 for 64 other than the two big runs in the 2nd half.

So? That is how football works. Take away Barry Sander's big runs and he is not in the HOF. This is like talking about a MLB hitter and saying "He isnt good, if you dont count his homeruns"

8 hours ago, SamMan said:

My (long) take 24+ hours after—If you can’t see how a few very minor outcomes could have totally changed the trajectory of that game, you are probably going to have a very different outlook on how the game transpired. Traylor had his guys ready. He’s a pre snap penalty from possibly getting a td on the opening drive on two separate occasions. He’s a couple of offsides calls away from keeping Texas out of the end zone on their first score. If that happens, you are looking at possibly being down 21-0 in the first half before you even know what happened. They moved the ball at will in the first half despite their offensive line being depleted by injury seemingly every other snap. 

Second half, you are two (three really) passes off the receivers’ hands away from it being a very, very tight finish. Yeah, you look at the box score and it says Texas did what Texas should have done. The more discerning observer realizes that UTSA played quite well and performed surprisingly well on both lines of scrimmage for a good portion of the game (like we gave Texas credit for last week despite the 81 yd run, the 20 yd scramble, and the late sack of Card). Robinson hitting a couple big runs, Johnson making a circus catch and generally just being the baddest motherfucker on the field, and Card having a timely scramble were the difference on offense. 

The secondary play was average at best. They did a better job of tackling in the second half, but both corners were beaten badly on the same double move. I thought the line play was decent, but they were getting moved in the run game early, and if there were better athletes at rb, it could have been bad. Not sure what to make of the pass rush. I liked Moro’s intensity in the second half and Murphy’s effort throughout the game. I feel like even if the edges had gotten home more, the qb would have escaped and hurt them even more. He was as advertised. Seeing Bush or Ford in coverage makes me pretty queasy. 

It was a damn good win against a quality opponent, and the game was closer than most would care to admit for the first three quarters. The difference really was depth (which injuries exacerbated during the game), mental focus (untimely penalties & drops), and a couple of elite backs toting the rock. Credit to UTSA for playing hard. Credit Texas with keeping their composure and raising their game in the second half. There is no need to denigrate UTSA, Jeff Traylor (if you want to make doomsday predictions for his coaching career, at least get the comp right—it’s Chad Morris (or is it Art Briles, who just lucked into Kevin Kolb flipping to UH from OSU?/s) not Charlie Strong), or Hudson Card (he’s QB2 for a reason; what’s the fucking alternative?) for that matter. I’d say they all performed admirably, but right in line with where they were expected to perform. 

Good game. Now let’s focus on stomping the dog shit out of tech in front of all of their syphilitic fans, and stop bitching about how the backup qb, who is playing through his own injury, and who was the same qb we saw last week and most of last year, sucks. 

On Card—Stop acting like you had higher expectations for the kid when you knew or should have known what to expect for quite a while now. Some of you sound a lot like the aggies last year. He’s not Ewers. Sark knows that. Everybody knows that. Ewers is hurt, that’s why Card is in. He’s still at Texas. He certainly didn’t have to be. He’s doing the best he can (while injured) and he’s not turning the ball over (btw, a QBR in the 70s isn’t bad & Worthy definitely gave up on one of the deep balls). Deal with it..or be prepared to happily watch Wright or Murphy, if he weren’t injured, play like qbs who have never thrown a pass at the collegiate level (as we’ve seen, Ewers is the exception in this scenario). It can always be worse. Card is not fantastic, particularly on the deep balls. We knew that going into fall camp. Does it limit the offense in terms of what the defense has to protect against? Absolutely. It’s not ideal. We get it. It is what it is. Let’s move on and hope Ewers has a swift recovery.

I’m not reading all that, I’m either happy for you or sorry that happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SamMan said:

My (long) take 24+ hours after—If you can’t see how a few very minor outcomes could have totally changed the trajectory of that game, you are probably going to have a very different outlook on how the game transpired. Traylor had his guys ready. He’s a pre snap penalty from possibly getting a td on the opening drive on two separate occasions. He’s a couple of offsides calls away from keeping Texas out of the end zone on their first score. If that happens, you are looking at possibly being down 21-0 in the first half before you even know what happened. They moved the ball at will in the first half despite their offensive line being depleted by injury seemingly every other snap. 

Second half, you are two (three really) passes off the receivers’ hands away from it being a very, very tight finish. Yeah, you look at the box score and it says Texas did what Texas should have done. The more discerning observer realizes that UTSA played quite well and performed surprisingly well on both lines of scrimmage for a good portion of the game (like we gave Texas credit for last week despite the 81 yd run, the 20 yd scramble, and the late sack of Card). Robinson hitting a couple big runs, Johnson making a circus catch and generally just being the baddest motherfucker on the field, and Card having a timely scramble were the difference on offense. 

Found Lowell's Surly account.

So we got a fairly solid 21 pt win against a team that most likely will be a top 25 team by the end of the year, even though we were starting our backup QB and yet we have people flipping out? Fucking typical for here I guess...

As far as the Traylor love fests goes, put me in the camp it's more Harris than it is coaching and it might be time to give Frank Wilson a bit of credit for 14 of the 22 starters, with 7 of the others being transfers. 

I think if I was Traylor I would be looking to move on soon rather than later so you arent staring down a huge rebuild as they enter the AAC and your star gets tarnished a bit.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So we got a fairly solid 21 pt win against a team that most likely will be a top 25 team by the end of the year, even though we were starting our backup QB and yet we have people flipping out? Fucking typical for here I guess...

Some people would have been happier with a loss to confirm their priors about Sark/Traylor or just vindicate their prediction we’d lose or barely win 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, SamMan said:

The secondary play was average at best. They did a better job of tackling in the second half, but both corners were beaten badly on the same double move. I thought the line play was decent, but they were getting moved in the run game early, and if there were better athletes at rb, it could have been bad. Not sure what to make of the pass rush. I liked Moro’s intensity in the second half and Murphy’s effort throughout the game. I feel like even if the edges had gotten home more, the qb would have escaped and hurt them even more. He was as advertised. Seeing Bush or Ford in coverage makes me pretty queasy. 

It was a damn good win against a quality opponent, and the game was closer than most would care to admit for the first three quarters. The difference really was depth (which injuries exacerbated during the game), mental focus (untimely penalties & drops), and a couple of elite backs toting the rock. Credit to UTSA for playing hard. Credit Texas with keeping their composure and raising their game in the second half. There is no need to denigrate UTSA, Jeff Traylor (if you want to make doomsday predictions for his coaching career, at least get the comp right—it’s Chad Morris (or is it Art Briles, who just lucked into Kevin Kolb flipping to UH from OSU?/s) not Charlie Strong), or Hudson Card (he’s QB2 for a reason; what’s the fucking alternative?) for that matter. I’d say they all performed admirably, but right in line with where they were expected to perform. 

Good game. Now let’s focus on stomping the dog shit out of tech in front of all of their syphilitic fans, and stop bitching about how the backup qb, who is playing through his own injury, and who was the same qb we saw last week and most of last year, sucks. 

On Card—Stop acting like you had higher expectations for the kid when you knew or should have known what to expect for quite a while now. Some of you sound a lot like the aggies last year. He’s not Ewers. Sark knows that. Everybody knows that. Ewers is hurt, that’s why Card is in. He’s still at Texas. He certainly didn’t have to be. He’s doing the best he can (while injured) and he’s not turning the ball over (btw, a QBR in the 70s isn’t bad & Worthy definitely gave up on one of the deep balls). Deal with it..or be prepared to happily watch Wright or Murphy, if he weren’t injured, play like qbs who have never thrown a pass at the collegiate level (as we’ve seen, Ewers is the exception in this scenario). It can always be worse. Card is not fantastic, particularly on the deep balls. We knew that going into fall camp. Does it limit the offense in terms of what the defense has to protect against? Absolutely. It’s not ideal. We get it. It is what it is. Let’s move on and hope Ewers has a swift recovery.

great post. Apparently 6 paragraphs are too much of a burden for many. 

30 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

great post. Apparently 6 paragraphs are too much of a burden for many. 

No it wasn't.

Half of it was "if X happened, and Y happened, and ABC happened, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE" 

None of those things happened.  We won by 21.  They had their fun for 20-25 minutes or so and then we dominated them for the rest of the game. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SamMan said:

DKR: What should have happened is what did happen.

• Hook 'Em 3

Don’t hire Traylor.   Hire Frank fuckin Harris.   Without that dude, this was going to be a 50 point win if not more even with Card at QB.   That dude played his ass off.   Traylor better find a new gig at the end of the year before getting exposed next year without Harris and those receivers. 

He has a real Tom Herman feel to him

Card still can't get through his progressions, so Sanders would only get a look if it was Card's 1st read, and it was usually covered. He also did deliver a couple of balls down the field that were late to Sanders. One was an incompletion and the other was a contested catch in the EZ, that was coming back due to a penalty. Card just isn't accurate more than 12-15 yards down the field.

So we have to dink and dunk and call 1 read and tuck/dump it plays for him. Sark has to recognize that he can’t run his offense with card and adjust.

This was my favorite play from Worthy all night.  Kid is a baller that plays hard every play.  Watch how far he comes from to run down the play and get a block (well a screen really) to ensure Robinson makes it into the endzone.  #4 from UTSA looks like he would have caught Bijan from behind if not for Worthy.  

** Warning Lowell Galindo making the call so please mute if you don't want to hear him butcher Bijan's name **

• Hook 'Em 7

50 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This was my favorite play from Worthy all night.  Kid is a baller that plays hard every play.  Watch how far he comes from to run down the play and get a block (well a screen really) to ensure Robinson makes it into the endzone.  #4 from UTSA looks like he would have caught Bijan from behind if not for Worthy.  

** Warning Lowell Galindo making the call so please mute if you don't want to hear him butcher Bijan's name **

I very much enjoyed this play live as well.  Worthy has pretty great closing speed.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

So? That is how football works. Take away Barry Sander's big runs and he is not in the HOF. This is like talking about a MLB hitter and saying "He isnt good, if you dont count his homeruns"

Bijan is one of the top RBs in the country.  He normally gets more than 3.5 yards per carry even without the big runs.  They did a good job slowing him down.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yes!!!  He flew down the field to get in front of that defender to make sure he didn't catch Bijan's feet.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I really love this package. Getting 3 tackles on the field and making Karic a moving target so that they cannot scheme pass blitzes into him while utilizing his nastiness is a great move. 

So when do we see a play action dump to Karic in the end zone? Set up the 3 tackle look plus Sanders with a 2 backs flanking the QB. Motion Karic to the same side as Sanders, play fake to the back heading away from the unbalanced side, keep sanders in to block and have one back flare to the unbalanced side, Karic leak out and still have Worthy 1 on 1 on the other side…

• Drool 1

Just to stir some shit up... 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/odds-movement/ats/results/

Teamrankings.com has historical line movement dating back to 2008 season.  11,583 games.  Largest movement from opening to close was 8 points which happened only 14 times.  

This would miss a scenario where a star was injured in the previous game as that injury is presumably baked into opening line of following week.  So dating back to 2008, there hasn't been an instance of a player being unexpectedly unavailable after opening lines were published that resulted in more than an 8 point swing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bullet said:

Bijan is one of the top RBs in the country.  He normally gets more than 3.5 yards per carry even without the big runs.  They did a good job slowing him down.

Are you sure? 

Texas had 457 2391 yards and 5.23 average last year

They had one 70 yards run.. That makes it 456 for 2321- take 1 run out and it is 5.09 per

They had 2 runs between 60-70 yards.. Lets take out 3 carries and 190 yards (being conservative and using 60 and 70). With 3 runs out of the season total, the numbers are 454 att and 2201 for 4.85 per

The they had another 8 runs between 40 -50 yards. Take out 320 yards and 8 attempts.. Now it is 446 for 1881 yards per or 4.22 yards.. 

So we took out 11 runs out of 457 or 2.4% and the dropped the average over a yard. It is not uncommon. I am not going go through it, but take out Bijan's top 2 runs in ever game last year and I would bet his average in under 4 yards per. 

Edited by Codaxx

True YPC discounts runs over 10 yards and 4.2 is the NFL average with 5.0 being MVP worthy.

Line YPC emphasizes negative yards, discounts runs over 5 yards and eliminates yards past 10.  2.5 is normal and 3.2 YPC is MVP worthy.

YPC is really sensitive to big runs, so it's not useful to evaluate a modified version without knowing the baseline.

Edited by JBJ

28 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Are you sure? 

Texas had 457 2391 yards and 5.23 average last year

They had one 70 yards run.. That makes it 456 for 2321- take 1 run out and it is 5.09 per

They had 2 runs between 60-70 yards.. Lets take out 3 carries and 190 yards (being conservative and using 60 and 70). With 3 runs out of the season total, the numbers are 454 att and 2201 for 4.85 per

The they had another 8 runs between 40 -50 yards. Take out 320 yards and 8 attempts.. Now it is 446 for 1881 yards per or 4.22 yards.. 

So we took out 11 runs out of 457 or 2.4% and the dropped the average over a yard. It is not uncommon. I am not going go through it, but take out Bijan's top 2 runs in ever game last year and I would bet his average in under 4 yards per. 

That's a lot of words to avoid calculating a standard deviation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Bill's boxscores have gotten better over the years.  Interesting disparity between success rate and YPP in this game - shows it was won on the margins on a handful of big plays.

FdCl747XwAE-UJO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

16.9% of our plays. So 10 big plays. What is the percentage we are looking for here? We only had 10 drives, surely one explosive play per drive is pretty good right? A handful of big plays. Just one on each drive. Got to do better boys. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Starfleet Command said:

Bill's boxscores have gotten better over the years.  Interesting disparity between success rate and YPP in this game - shows it was won on the margins on a handful of big plays.

FdCl747XwAE-UJO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I could be wrong here, but I see a whole lot of Green on the Texas side and a whole lot of Red on the UTSA side....plus the guy who posted it calls it solid execution.....Won on the margins with a couple of big plays was us getting beat with like 4 blocked punt returns for touchdowns 20 odd years ago....Not almost doubling their yards per play, causing 6.5 "havoc" plays, I don't even know what "middle 8" refers to but we destroyed them on that so I'll go with it.

So in other words:

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

16 hours ago, SamMan said:

Not horrible logic......but lets see how it plays when we change the perspective:

If Harris hadn't been Houdini in the pocket this game would have been over at the half.

If the refs hadn't called a garbage PI UTSA would have maybe gotten a field goal.

If it hadn't been a game we were expected to easily win the players would have been more up for it and UTSA might have never scored a TD period.

If if if if if........Happy Paul Giamatti GIF

45 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

serious joe pesci GIF

Hahaha only half. But I’m a Yankees fan so my Joey gallo opinions are based on what he did once he came to ny and stopped hitting home runs or drawing walks.

first to admit that I was pumped when they got him from the rangers at the deadline, but his stint here was horrendous. Was just as pumped to see him go to LA. Hope that things work out for him there

6 minutes ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Hahaha only half. But I’m a Yankees fan so my Joey gallo opinions are based on what he did once he came to ny and stopped hitting home runs or drawing walks.

first to admit that I was pumped when they got him from the rangers at the deadline, but his stint here was horrendous. Was just as pumped to see him go to LA. Hope that things work out for him there

Press Conference GIF by GIPHY News