Great Balls of Fire:RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

G650

• G650 changed the title to Great Balls of Fire:RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

Oh wow this is a big loss in the music world. I can recite a true story that happened to him. It’s one that Lewis retold quite a bit and is well known at the school. I attended college at SAGU in Waxahachie. When it was just a college in the 1950’s, he was going to school there and got kicked out of school for playing his rock-n-roll music on the piano in the old chapel. They were going to kick a resident assistant out as well, but Jerry Lee took full responsibility for it.

I remember attending class there thinking how different would life for him been had he only played gospel music instead of what he did do on that piano. RIP KILLER. You and Johnny and Carl can reunite and play the gospel music all of you loved to sing together.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Not a cat said:

87?  I hope his estate will be enough to take care of his cousin, but she's probably close to eligible for social security by now.

He was probably about broke but Myra actually became a successful real estate agent and was married to a guy who owned the firm.

On 10/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

The end of that video above, with the “follow that, motherfucker” I think was when he signed on to tour with chuck berry and the tour manager said berry was the closing act/headliner. And they was killer’s response. Always liked that story. 

Always heard it told as an n bomb not an mf’r exclamation 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I loved Jerry Lee Lewis and consider him the prototypical rocker. He fucking lived that attitude. There was nothing he gave a shit about except playing rock and roll, pussy, and getting fucked up. Growing up in Memphis you could see him all the time.

The best times were when he’d show up at Hernando’s Hideaway at 1 in the morning and his crew would start playing, sometimes til sun up. He would just tear it up.

One night at the El Capitan Club which was a little supper club near Graceland. In the middle of a song he threw up his hand and the band stopped cold. (James Burton as his guitar player…holy fuck!). “Lady! What’s your problem? “. He said to a woman a few tables over. “I’m here with him” pointing to her passed out husband. “I personally hate you. You treat your wives and kids just terrible. You’re a disgrace to your cousins”. He looked at her a second and pulled a 32 off his ankle and slammed it on the piano. “I’ll play that again and see how you like it.” They started from the top; she gave him a standing ovation. It’s surreal now. No one in the audience really reacted to him pulling a gun out. We just enjoyed the rest of the show.

Saw him at Solomon Alfred’s sit down at 9 and he didn’t stop until they pulled the plug at 4am. I mean no breaks at all. Had to be all speed; he was drinking scotch and Dr Pepper.

My favorite album is The London Sessions where he’s playing with folks like Frampton and Rory Gallagher. It rocks. Has his best country cut “Early Morning Rain”. But it just rocks like no other. From 71.

I saw him and Mickey Gilley do a duet of I’ll Fly Away. It’s my favorite gospel tune. I’ve never seen a recording of it.