2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Make sure to vote for All-MLB Team.  Javier, Peña, and even Yordan can get a cash bonus from the pre-arbitration bonus pool if they make first or second team.

• All-MLB: $1MM for being named “First Team,” $500K for being named “Second Team”

https://www.mlb.com/all-mlb/ballot?affiliateId=allmlb-headline-mlb-2022

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

c5e770ce184e8695eb93695f02dc1168.gif

Yeah... as much as I literally love JV, the money is getting insane and the Astros have good options to fill out the rotation without him.  It's starting to not make any financial sense to sign him.  I wish him piles of money and a comfortable path to retirement.  I'll always be a fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yeah... as much as I literally love JV, the money is getting insane and the Astros have good options to fill out the rotation without him.  It's starting to not make any financial sense to sign him.  I wish him piles of money and a comfortable path to retirement.  I'll always be a fan.

I hope he has every Oct off for the next 3 to 4 years 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Focht Up said:

Sorry if this has been asked, but what is the thinking of our chances of keeping verlander?

There are two major factors:

1. The market dictates that he is going to get in the neighborhood of $40M+/yr for 2-3 years and the Astros don't have a history of doing those kinds of contracts.

2. We have great starting pitching depth and we have a legitimate, if not outstanding, chance to win the WS again next year even without him.

As others have said, I'll hate to see him go just like I hated to see Correa and Springer go, but I'll always be a fan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t get the “Astros don’t have a history of doing x/y/z” talk anymore.

we didn’t have a history of winning a World Series before 5 years ago.

Now we have 2.

In the first 54 years of the team’s existence, they didnt have much history going to the LCS (did it 4 times).

they’ve now done it 6 years in a row since 2016.

Crane wasn’t the owner for the first 50 years of the team’s history. He’s clearly shown he’s unlike any other owner of this franchise. At best, “history” in this context is only 11 years old.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Astros had 6 people get MVP votes. That seems 

like a lot. 

in order: Yordan, Altuve, JV, Tucker, Bregman, Framber 

If we had been wearing Yankee uniforms, mlb would still be talking about this being one of the all time great teams. All time best postseason pitching staff for sure 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If we had been wearing Yankee uniforms, mlb would still be talking about this being one of the all time great teams. All time best postseason pitching staff for sure 

Instead all they are talking about is how Crane is an egomaniac and runs the team like a circus

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

With Kyle Lewis being traded to Arizona, the Astros should go try to get McCarthy, Thomas, or Varsho. Though Varsho will be the hardest to pry away. All 3 are lefties that can play CF, McCarthy and Thomas have 6 years of team control.

Plus Strom knows our pitching prospects quite well. Would make sense. 

Christian Walker too, while we’re at it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Also, we should ask if his falloff after being an MVP was because they stopped stealing signs.

If holding your shirt so your teammates won't rip it off of you is prima facie evidence that you're doing something nefarious, then likewise Bellinger's fall off the cliff since his MVP season is proof positive that the LA Dodgers were cheating their asses off from 2017-2019. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maton needs to be traded or non tendered. We couldn’t get a bucket of warm spit for Dubon so just non- tender him. That’s $4M savings and makes the organization better opening up big league roster spots for someone who can maybe not suck. 

Those are 2 of Dusty’s favorites and his influence without a real GM has never been higher. So prepare for disappointment. 

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

$1.2M for a guy who rarely strikes out, is an above average base runner, and is a good defender at CF, SS, 2B, and 3B is a good value.  Dubon should definitely be tendered.  

If he's not tendered, the 2023 Astros thread will be about half the size by the end of the season because of the lack of bitching when he starts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

The more I looked at Yainer Diaz career lines I like the idea of letting him get the shot at first and DH.   Sign Yuli cheap and let the kid swing it.   He doesn't strike out often walks enough and shown enough power the last two years. 

Yep. Resign JV and roll with the farm to fill the gaps.