2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

ok there's an athletic article (mlb survery i think?) i just skimmed that has "blind" quotes from agents and reps and whatthefuckever talking about the winter meetings, free agents, and assorted topics and the astros are one of the topics.  i can use the workaround to read it on my phone but can't link it or pull the astros quotes - some of which are terrific. 

can someone post the article?

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

As far as I can tell, the rumors of him being a locker room problem stem from Dusty saying he'd be unhappy that Dusty wouldn't play him ahead of Maldonado in his walk year.  Hardly Mitch Melusky type stuff here.

Either way, I hated the idea of trying to get him a substantial number of starts in LF and at DH. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok there's an athletic article (mlb survery i think?) i just skimmed that has "blind" quotes from agents and reps and whatthefuckever talking about the winter meetings, free agents, and assorted topics and the astros are one of the topics.  i can use the workaround to read it on my phone but can't link it or pull the astros quotes - some of which are terrific. 

can someone post the article?

Spoiler

The Astros won another World Series after their cheating scandal, and then owner Jim Crane fired GM James Click. How would you describe Houston’s operation? 

“Unconventional.”

“Unstable.”

“Crane is running the show. Honestly, it’s too easy, from an agent’s perspective, to take advantage of that.”

“You hear about how the Astros had a chance to acquire (Willson) Contreras from the Cubs and Crane comes in and vetoes that deal. So they pivot and get Christian Vázquez. The Monday morning quarterback would say, ‘Hey, they won the World Series. Whatever happened, happened, and it all worked out.’ I would argue that you should just watch the free-agent market between Contreras and Christian Vázquez unfold, and you tell me who’s a more coveted and better catcher. You could have had Contreras. It’s mind-blowing to me that you’d want to get involved at that level (as an owner). Now I could understand if you’re trying to trade (Alex) Bregman or somebody that’s more of a luminary figure in that city. That’s more of an ownership discussion. But stuff like that, if I’m Click, I’m like, ‘Get me the f— out of here, man. I don’t want to work for Mark Cuban or Jerry Jones.;”

“We met with the Astros in Vegas (during the GM meetings). Click wasn’t there. Supposedly, he was sick. Maybe he was sick, I don’t know. But they told us he was really under the weather coming off the parade. We met with three guys, and 24 hours later, one of them got s—canned, and we didn’t know what was going to happen with the other two. Jim Crane really runs the show, anyway. But I think they’re going to be fine. They got a great f—ing team. Their pitching is just ridiculous.”

“Houston does not run their team with emotion. Their ownership group runs it like a business. And when I say business, I mean a cutthroat business. They feel like they can interchange people into their system and win. Quite frankly, I’m not sure that anything has shown that they can’t. This has been across the board for the last couple years where their system works. James did a really good job, obviously, but they feel like they can plug somebody else in there and win. And they might not be wrong. It stinks because that completely devalues the human element, the loyalty, and some of those things. I don’t like it. There’s a lot of baseball people that don’t like the way that they have operated. But you cannot argue with results.”

“Can I say clusterf—? This is The Athletic, so yes, right? They’re a clusterf—. But they’re too talented for Jim Crane to mess up, and they will be for a while.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here are the arb estimates 
Phil Maton (5.047): $2.5MM
Ryne Stanek (5.038): $3.1MM
Framber Valdez (3.163): $7.4MM
Kyle Tucker (3.079): $5.6MM
Jose Urquidy (3.049): $3.2MM
Cristian Javier (3.000): $3.3MM
Blake Taylor (3.000): $800K
Mauricio Dubon (2.162): $1.2MM

Here’s the thing - you REALLY don’t wanna go to arbitration. It’s not just paying them a set amount of money, it’s about the club explaining why they’re not worth whatever they ask for. Better to settle on a contract extension beforehand. Javier, Valdez and Tucker are settle guys. Possibly Stanek.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, runthebone said:

All of the negative quotes have an agenda, was just coming to post that shit here.  Fucking hate us while we kick your ass.

pretty much how i read them.  even the insults were kinda stupid.  we have a front office vacancy at a strange time, so yeah, unconventional, unstable, but we're also a complete team so go fuck yourselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

pretty much how i read them.  even the insults were kinda stupid.  we have a front office vacancy at a strange time, so yeah, unconventional, unstable, but we're also a complete team so go fuck yourselves.

One of the quotes said something along the lines of it's easy to take advantage of the Astros because Crane is really running the show. Yet, so far at least, the Astros have been prudent in the contracts they've signed. The Abreu and Montero deals look great based on what we've seen this market do. The Cubs, who I assume have GM, just gave Cody Bellinger $17.5 million for fuck sake, and the Yankees are going to pay Judge $40M for his age 39 season when he'll probably be pushing 325 pounds and barely able to get out of the batter's box. That said, this could all turn into a complete shit show if Crane surrounds himself with guys who share Bagwell's view on analytics, but that's not what we've seen thus far. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Mstrat said:

Here’s the thing - you REALLY don’t wanna go to arbitration. It’s not just paying them a set amount of money, it’s about the club explaining why they’re not worth whatever they ask for. Better to settle on a contract extension beforehand. Javier, Valdez and Tucker are settle guys. Possibly Stanek.

I wonder if Tucker would be open to a 3 year extension so we don’t have to fuck with this every offseason. Springer did it. Maybe something like 3/33. He gets some certainty. They Astros probably save like 5-7M if he performs like I think and he gets something like 6/13/20.  
Because agree- not good for clubhouse juju to go to arb every year with your good players. 

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

One of the quotes said something along the lines of it's easy to take advantage of the Astros because Crane is really running the show. Yet, so far at least, the Astros have been prudent in the contracts they've signed. The Abreu and Montero deals look great based on what we've seen this market do. The Cubs, who I assume have GM, just gave Cody Bellinger $17.5 million for fuck sake, and the Yankees are going to pay Judge $40M for his age 39 season when he'll probably be pushing 325 pounds and barely able to get out of the batter's box. That said, this could all turn into a complete shit show if Crane surrounds himself with guys who share Bagwell's view on analytics, but that's not what we've seen thus far. 

yeah, would like them to show their work on that.  we don't run around and sign a bunch of free agents, so we don't have a ton of interaction with agents playing hardball.

i remember after the casey close stuff how we'd be blackballed and that never happened.  lots of our clients are boras clients and he seems to love us.  if we make a move with arizona or pitt it'll be a trade and i'll put our record with trades under crane up against anyone.

teams like philly, mets, yankees are shelling out huge dollars to try and beat us.  that's me showing my work.

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

One of the quotes said something along the lines of it's easy to take advantage of the Astros because Crane is really running the show.

Yeah, that wasn’t said, at least not by an agent. If you’re at the poker table with a donkey, you damn sure don’t tell him he sucks. 

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Weirdly seems as though like 90% of the bigger impact signings (just throwing out a number not sure if it is accurate) are going to the NL. AL teams aren't really doing much to improve themselves so far.

That’s because World Series runner-up has more cache than ALCS runner up 

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Pg 42 of last year's offseason thread is a fun read

Damn this organization fucks. 

I completely forgot I accurately predicted Pens winning a Gold Glove. Me accurately predicting things doesn't happen often gents. 

insert itisknown Gif here.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
The Mets’ spending has to stop at some point. Anyone they sign going forward will cost Cohen almost twice the AAV. I know he’s rich as Midas but he didn’t get there by being stupid with money. 

He will learn soon enough; in today's baseball economics you can't buy championships.

36 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s always a good idea to let fans dictate your personnel moves.   

To everyone bashing Crane and his handling of Click/FO this off-season I ask:

Right now, would you rather have no GM?

or Andrew Friedman?

PLEASE let the Giants/Padres/Cards land him and then knock out the Dodgers in the LDS….again 

Edited by UTexasFight

Chandler Rome is reporting that the Astros have an interest in Tucker Barnhart, and the interest is mutual. He's seeking a 2-year contract and has played for Dusty in Cincinatti. LHB, so would be a good balance to Maldonado. Typically, a very good defender and a below average hitter, but had the worst season of his career both offensively and defensively last year with the Tigers.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Chandler Rome is reporting that the Astros have an interest in Tucker Barnhart, and the interest is mutual. He's seeking a 2-year contract and has played for Dusty in Cincinatti. LHB, so would be a good balance to Maldonado. Typically, a very good defender and a below average hitter, but had the worst season of his career both offensively and defensively last year with the Tigers.

If Barnhart is the solution, then I'd rather roll with Lee/Diaz.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

a) “Typically, a very good defender and a below average hitter”

and 

b) “would be a good balance to Maldonado”

does not compute. Why do we need a shitty left handed batting Maldy

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

a) “Typically, a very good defender and a below average hitter”

and 

b) “would be a good balance to Maldonado”

does not compute. Why do we need a shitty left handed batting Maldy

Because he's cheap and Lee/Diaz aren't ready. I mean we did go into the start of last season with Maldonado and Castro. So, this would be the same thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rule V draft results.

Spoiler

First Round

1. Nationals: RHP Thad Ward (Red Sox)
2. A’s: 1B Ryan Noda (Dodgers)
3. Pirates: LHP Jose Hernandez (Dodgers)
4. Reds: OF Blake Sabol (Pirates)
5. Royals: pass
6. Tigers: RHP Mason Englert (Rangers)
7. Rangers: pass
8. Rockies: RHP Kevin Kelly (Guardians)
9. Marlins: RHP Nic Enright (Guardians)
10. Angels: pass
11. D-backs: pass
12. Cubs: pass
13. Twins: pass
14. Red Sox: pass
15. White Sox: RHP Nick Avila (Giants)
16. Giants: pass
17. Orioles: RHP Andrew Politi (Red Sox)
18. Brewers: RHP Gus Varland (Dodgers)
19. Rays: pass
20. Phillies: RHP Noah Song (Red Sox)
21. Padres: LHP Jose Lopez (Rays)
22. Mariners: RHP Chris Clarke (Cubs)
23. Guardians: pass
24. Blue Jays: pass
25. Cardinals: RHP Wilking Rodriguez (Yankees)
26. Yankees: pass
27. Mets: RHP Zach Greene (Yankees)
27. Braves: pass
29. Astros: pass
30. Dodgers: pass

Second Round

all teams passed

Astros didn't take anyone, nor did they lose anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He's a better hitter than Maldonado for their careers. There is still a sentiment that if the Astros acquire another catcher, Maldonado could be sent packing.

I like the move even less if he's meant to replace Maldonado.  "Yeah, he sucks at the plate just as much as Maldonado with the added bonus of pissing off the clubhouse" is a tough sell, personally.

• Like 1