USMNT 2023

ztejas

Another sloppy ass game, without any damn sense of urgency, until Canada ties us up. We certainly had some chances earlier in the game but there was not the consistent build up in Canada's half of the field.  It's a lot easier to do the sort of marking in the middle that Canada was doing so effectively when you fail to put the defense actually on defense with pressing and relentless offensive attacks.  Disappointing game in execution, but sometimes you pull one out of your ass, and this is a game honestly we probably should have lost.  Turner takes the pressure off the first take miss of "The Cincinnati Kid" that sailed over the top bar with that little lean back that fucks the take.

Again great teachable moments, clogging the middle anticipating the cross is all well and good, but every time I see the ball roll harmlessly across the face and past the far sideline, I always whisper the same thing to myself, "backside!"  Basically just bend your run slightly away from the goal when you are on the far side of the cross.  The defender nearly always tends to drift inside anticipating your move to the middle, and that little bend away creates more space and thus more opportunity to create a good shot.  Anyhow that's the soap box I will stand upon until I die. That and put your crosses on the penalty spot depth, to make the keeper's decision making a lot, lot tougher to come out and attack the ball.

The one catalyst the last two matches? Cowell.  The kid is raw but he has the killer instinct and size to make him menacing to the defense.  I think it's hard to argue that any US player provided a greater spark to the offense.  Now this is not to say he needs to give up the ball with the easy pass, rather than the thunderous shot in traffic, but that's where experience comes in.  He's not a starter yet, and probably won't be this cycle unless bad things happen, but the kid has provided a spark off the bench.  Again is it the fresh legs? Could be, but hard to point to a more impactful sub for the team right now.

Avoided a bullet in a poorly played game.  A game we needed to win desperately to give the younger kids more true high level experience.  But damn the sense of urgency completely sucked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

ratings & box score

+++

Spoiler

Monday, July 10, 2023
USA-Canada Men's Gold Cup Player Ratings
by Paul Kennedy
USA-CANADA EXPRESS:
July 9 in Cincinnati
USA 2 Canada 2 (USA wins 3-2 on penalty kicks). Goals: Vazquez 88, own goal 114; Vitoria 90+3 pen., Shaffelburg 109.
Att.:  24,979.

The USA moved into the Gold Cup semifinals against Panama with a 3-2 shootout win over Canada after a 2-2 tie on Sunday night.

The game was completely forgettable for the first 87 minutes until it came to life when local star Brandon Vazquez opened the scoring for the USA. But it was in danger of losing to Canada for the first time in the Gold Cup, falling behind 2-1 after a Steven Vitoria penalty kick in stoppage time and a Jacob Shaffelburg goal early in the second overtime period.

But the Americans remained unbeaten under interim coach B.J. Callaghan, getting an equalizer on an own goal and winning the shootout in which keeper Matt Turner stopped the first two Canadian attempts and watched Charles-Andréas Brym's attempt in the fifth round rattle the crossbar.

The match was delayed almost 10 minutes when Mexican assistant referee Christian Espinosa was hit in the face with a ball in the first minute and could not continue. Caleb Wales of Trinidad and Tobago – who ran the line for the Jamaica-Guatemala quarterfinal earlier in the day – ended up doing double duty with the flag.

USA Player Ratings
(1=low; 5=middle; 10=high.)

GOALKEEPER

Matt Turner did not have to make a save in regulation or overtime, but he set the tone for the shootout, stopping the first two attempts by Steven Vitoria and Liam Fraser. Turner also found Matt Miazga with a long ball into the penalty area that led to the USA's equalizer in overtime.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Matt Turner (Arsenal/ENG) 31/0 (29)
DEFENDERS

It was an eventful and largely difficult evening for the U.S, backline, far more than it should have been against Canada. Miles Robinson, whose 24 caps are more than his three partners have combined, committed two handballs in the penalty area. He was to lucky to be bailed out on the first one when VAR spotted a push into teammate Gianluca Busio's back on the wild scramble. The second handball allowed Canada to equalize in stoppage time. Jalen Neal, the youngest center back to ever appear for the USMNT in a knockout round match, showed his nerves and after suffering a groin injury was replaced by Matt Miazga in the second half. Neal slipped on a Canadian attack early in the second half but was rescued by Bryan Reynolds, who cleared the danger, almost putting the ball into his own goal. Reynolds had a quiet game in attack and was repeatedly beaten by Jacob Shaffelburg in overtime after the former New England prep star entered the game for Canada. Turnovers were a problem for DeJuan Jones, but he hit the best ball of the game, a curling ball to Brandon Vazquez for the USA's opening goal.

Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA) 6/1 (22)

Miles Robinson (Atlanta United) 24/3 (26)

Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy) 6/0 (19)

DeJuan Jones (New England Revolution) 5/0 (26)
MIDFIELDERS

Gianluca Busio was rewarded for his persistence in overtime when his shot in the 114th minute was hit so hard Canada keeper Dayne St. Clair could only parry the shot and the rebound hit off defender Scott Kennedy and bounced into the goal. He also hit the best of the three penalty kicks the USA converted. Djordje Mihailovic was involved in the USA's best combinations in the first half but was otherwise not much of a factor in the game. In a helter-skelter match, James Sands did his best to keep order in midfield and was lucky to survive a studs-up tackle by Lucas Cavallini for which the Canadian only drew a yellow card.

James Sands (New York City FC) 12/0 (23)

Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA) 12/1 (21)

Djordje Mihailovic (AZ Alkmaar/NED) 10/3 (24)
FORWARDS

The starting trio struggled in the hour it was on the field together. In his first start of the tournament, Julian Gressel was dangerous on set plays but ineffective during the run of play. Alex Zendejas got his first start on the left wing but was again a non-factor. Jesús Ferreira started at center forward and was moved into midfield, where he saw more of the ball, when Vazquez came on for Mihailovic. By the second overtime period, he had run out of gas, demonstrated when he couldn't keep up with Shaffelburg on Canada's go-ahead goal. He had just enough left, though, to push his spot kick past St. Clair in the shootout.

Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps) 5/0 (29)

Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas) 22/14 (22)

Alex Zendejas (Club América/MEX) 7/1 (25)

SUBSTITUTES
The USA had a big edge on Canada in experience off the bench, and it paid with a goal by Brandon Vazquez in the 88th minute to the delight of the Cincinnati fans at TQL Stadium. FC Cincinnati teammate Matt Miazga could have done better on Shaffelburg's goal, but he was a force in the air, drawing one save by St. Clair and getting to Turner's long ball and playing it into the middle of the penalty area on the sequence that produced the USA's 114th-minute equalizer. Cade Cowell certainly saw a lot more of the ball in open spaces than Zendejas did on the left side, but his end product remains disappointing. To his credit, he joined Busio and Ferreira on the scoresheet in the shootout, putting the USA ahead for good in the fourth round.

Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes) 7/1 (19)

Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati) 7/4 (24)

Matt Miazga (FC Cincinnati) 27/1 (27)

Aaron Long (LAFC) 34/3 (30)

Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders) 54/11 (28)

nr
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders) 36/0 (28)

TRIVIA: The USA reached the Gold Cup semifinals for the 12th straight time and 16th time in 17 tournaments. Its only defeat in the quarterfinals was a shootout loss to Colombia in 2000.

NOTABLE: The USA has mastered Canada in all six Gold Cup meetings. It won in a shootout in the 2002 semifinals -- Lars Hirschfeld made 15 saves for Canada in the 0-0 tie -- and 2-1 in the 2007 semifinals. The other three wins came in the group stage (2-0 in 2005, 2-0 in 2011 and 1-0 in 2021).

NEXT UP: The USMNT will play for the first time at San Diego's Snapdragon Stadium on Wednesday when it meets Panama in the Gold Cup semifinals (7:30 pm. ET, FS1, Univision, TUDN). Mexico plays Jamaica in the other semifinal in Las Vegas (10:30 pm. ET, FS1, Univision, TUDN).

July 9 in Cincinnati
USA 2 Canada 2 (USA wins 3-2 on penalty kicks). Goals: Vazquez 88, own goal 114; Vitoria 90+3 pen., Shaffelburg 109.
USA -- Turner; Reynolds (Roldan 113), Neal (Miazga 73), Robinson (Long 91), Jones; Mihailovic (Vazquez 73), Sands, Busio; Gressel (J.Morris 91), Ferreira, Zendejas (Cowell 63).
Canada -- St. Clair; McGraw (Kennedy 91), Vitoria, Miller; Laryea, Ahmed (Wotherspoon 73), Bombito (Fraser 60), Osorio, Millar (Brym 86), Hoilett (Shaffelburg 86); Cavallini (Russell-Rowe 72).
Yellow Cards: USA -- Cowell 96, Miazga 120+1; Canada -- Cavallini 42, McGraw 56, Miller 57, Osorio 62. Red Cards: none.
Referee: Marco Antonio Ortíz (Mexico). ARs: Christian Espinosa (Mexico), replaced by Caleb Wales (Trin. & Tobago), Jorge Sánchez (Mexico),Fourth official: Oshane Nation (Jamaica). VAR: Enrique Santander (Mexico). Assistant VAR: Ricardo Montero (Costa Rica).
Att.:  24,979.
Stats:
USA/CANADA
Shots: 21/8
Shots on target: 8/2
Saves: 0/7
Corner Kicks: 13/3
Fouls: 13/18
Offside: 2/1
Possession: 67%/33%

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i'll say it. i shit all over BJ Callaghan.

dude has done literally everything you want an interim to do. hope he gets paid by someone, even if it is to say with the USMNT.

happy for him, and congratulations.

The downside for Callaghan is that I don't see where he get's a job until this coming Fall (unless he goes to Saudi Arabia). I think he could get a look in Europe, but it doesn't seem likely. So his most likely landing spot would be the MLS, with that being after the season.

But I agree, the guy should be a head coach somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm liking this kid, Jones.

This “Kid” named Jones is older than Jedi Robinson.

10 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Canada are the Mexicans of the Arctic.

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The downside for Callaghan is that I don't see where he get's a job until this coming Fall (unless he goes to Saudi Arabia). I think he could get a look in Europe, but it doesn't seem likely. So his most likely landing spot would be the MLS, with that being after the season.

The 2 games in Nations League and the 4 games so far in the Gold Cup are the only 6 games that he has been a head coach in his entire life

In the Nations League, he led a team with by far the most talent to a win over the worst Mexico team in the last 30 year's, that fired its coach a few days later, and a mediocre Canada team with one star getting back into shape, and three to four other decent players. And both games were in the USA.

In the Gold Cup, he has Tied 2 & Won 2.

He tied a Jamaican team that is learning to play with each other and a weaker Canadian team with only one of its decent European players. 

He beat St. Kitt’s & Nevis, a country of 47K people that didn’t even qualify for the tournament, but was added after another nation was disqualified.

He also beat the Worst Trinidad & Tobago 🇹🇹 team in the last 35 years.

Again, ALL GAMES PLAYED IN THE USA.

Why would any foreign club come after Callaghan? He was the assistant’s assistant up until January. 

I’m happy for the guy, but I wouldn’t hire him (yet) to run my club. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Unless there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, Callaghan's decision NOT to start Gaga in the second group match versus St. Kitts & Nevis and instead throw another lifetime achievement award to a 34-year-old Sean Johnson was monumentally stupid, short-sighted and irresponsible.

Though Gaga has played for the US at every level and has refused callups from his ancestral Poland, he is not cap tied as his only appearance for the senior men's team was a friendly back in January against Serbia.

I'm also not willing to forgive some of Callaghan's starting lineups for this tournament and the roster as a whole. Why not include more juniors instead of so many old vets who absolutely won't be involved in 2026? Why so many minutes for Zendejas, Sonora and Gressel?

Maybe he's toeing the line someone else set for him, but he should've done better. It's not like the USSF would fire and replace him for a few matches with Berhalter, Part Deux already announced and waiting in the wings.

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Unless there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, Callaghan's decision NOT to start Gaga in the second group match versus St. Kitts & Nevis and instead throw another lifetime achievement award to a 34-year-old Sean Johnson was monumentally stupid, short-sighted and irresponsible.

Though Gaga has played for the US at every level and has refused callups from his ancestral Poland, he is not cap tied as his only appearance for the senior men's team was a friendly back in January against Serbia.

I'm also not willing to forgive some of Callaghan's starting lineups for this tournament and the roster as a whole. Why not include more juniors instead of so many old vets who absolutely won't be involved in 2026? Why so many minutes for Zendejas, Sonora and Gressel?

Maybe he's toeing the line someone else set for him, but he should've done better. It's not like the USSF would fire and replace him for a few matches with Berhalter, Part Deux already announced and waiting in the wings.

Good point

23 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Good.  In watching many of his games, he didn't seem to fit Leeds' system very well.  Nothing against Leeds or BA.  Some just don't "fit" well in certain places.

He did well when they ran a pressing system. Aaronson best quality is his fitness and ability to run his ass off. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

he's going to be with the MLS again, which short term is fine. i hope he gets paid.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He did well when they ran a pressing system. Aaronson best quality is his fitness and ability to run his ass off. 

Yep.  Aaronson isn't supremely skilled on the ball, doesn't have a lot of power behind a shot, and a host of other things.  What he does have is a competitive marathon runner's stamina and the will and determination to relentlessly press the ball (both ways).  He's an ideal 60th minute sub because he has the energy to kill the midfield and backline by making them work way harder to maintain possession than anyone on the pitch, which leads to openings for his teammates to do what they do best.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Last night was the first Gold Cup game that I watched, and I only turned it on after Mikey’s game against LA Galaxy 2 was finished. So I saw from about the 84th minute on.

Has our team been playing that lineup the whole time? 

Fuck Canada.

They were doing enough talking in the little bit, plus OT, that I saw, they should just go home and get ready for hockey, maybe they can win a Stanley Cup for the first time in 30 years.

canada blame GIF

• Haha 2

On 7/10/2023 at 7:31 AM, NoName said:

i'll say it. i shit all over BJ Callaghan.

dude has done literally everything you want an interim to do. hope he gets paid by someone, even if it is to say with the USMNT.

happy for him, and congratulations.

From what little I seen, I would gladly take Callaghan over Berhalter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gold Cup semis today, starting with the US versus Panama @ 6:30 p.m. Central.

Not much margin of error for the US. The Canaleros are playing well of late; their last loss was a 1-0 decision to Mexico in the Nations League semis. Hope to see Cowell - Vazquez - Ferreira up top with Mihailovic feeding and Sands and Busio supporting underneath.

But we know that's not gonna happen so ...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Gold Cup semis today, starting with the US versus Panama @ 6:30 p.m. Central.

Not much margin of error for the US. The Canaleros are playing well of late; their last loss was a 1-0 decision to Mexico in the Nations League semis. Hope to see Cowell - Vazquez - Ferreira up top with Mihailovic feeding and Sands and Busio supporting underneath.

But we know that's not gonna happen so ...

your lineup is precisely correct and agreed by us and i'm sure many with the usual exceptions up in here

therefore it can't happen because it needs a game together for 60-75 minutes starting before the final

gergg will call down from the pressbox on 75' against mexico and shift to this lineup down 2 goals

2 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Long starting.  Lol

gtfo

where are you seeing this

• Haha 1

Not wild about Long but I guess Callaghan is punishing Neal for the latter's shaky showing versus the Canucks.

Otherwise, shocked that Cowell and Vazquez are starting. My nitpick against Long notwithstanding, that's a solid lineup and better than we could've hoped. Hope they prove us right!

13 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

It’s hot at this mofo

IMG_5737.jpeg

IMG_5736.jpeg

Fuck yeah, dude. Vegas last weekend, now back in sunny San Diego--you're everywhere!!!

And Cowell with an immediate impact. Sooooo close.

EDIT: Cade does a fantastic job of keeping his feet through contact. If only he'd get the ball off his feet sooner ...

Edited by Braff Zacklin

I don't care about time of possession, but what concerns me is every deflection, every goal kick (from either side), and every 50/50 ball is settling at the feet of a Panamanian player. That indicates a lack of energy, of effort.

It's like this is the first hot day the team has seen.

Edited by Braff Zacklin