Oklahoma Recruiting 2024: Sunken Eyes and Licking Lips

Constant

Ok. How is it not the same universe? Enlighten us. 

An entrenched starter returning that might give a highly touted 5 star pause. Enlighten us on the differences in the dynamic in question. 

So the QB Royal Family of American Football who was reportedly not only “ok with”, but proponents of, their progeny redshirting, is all of the sudden going to force a transfer because said progeny isn’t a day 1 starter in the RS year they wanted, because a 2 year accomplished veteran is coming back?

Like I said….different universe.

Consider yourself enlightened.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Any word who Lebby might take from that OU staff?   Who would we want him to take?  Don't know their reps as recruiters.

TE coach Finley is most likely gone. Perhaps a couple of defensive guys since Lebby’s network on that side of the ball has to be fairly limited. I could see him taking Valai, and Hall. 

Probably some nameless staffers too. 

16 minutes ago, Constant said:

TE coach Finley is most likely gone. Perhaps a couple of defensive guys since Lebby’s network on that side of the ball has to be fairly limited. I could see him taking Valai, and Hall. 

Probably some nameless staffers too. 

So, you expect Lebby to take all the ou trash coaches and leave the better ones? I can't imagine why you would think that.

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So, you expect Lebby to take all the ou trash coaches and leave the better ones? I can't imagine why you would think that.

Alright? I was answering his question. Has nothing to do with their quality. Finley is one of his best friends and would be a comfort hire. Hall and Valai would sure up his defensive back positions, possibly even as a DC for Valai since he has a pretty lofty title at OU.  

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

That’s very disappointing. I hope Vennables will fight to keep those guys. Lebby was clearly foisted on those poor MSU folks while they were still mourning the loss of the Pirate. I feel bad for them. 

Any rumors as to the replacement for Lebby at OC? Kendall Briles, perhaps? 

I think Shawn Watson would be a great fit in Norman. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

That’s very disappointing. I hope Vennables will fight to keep those guys. Lebby was clearly foisted on those poor MSU folks while they were still mourning the loss of the Pirate. I feel bad for them. 

That's Sterlin Gilbert's music!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chili dog said:

Haven’t seen any real names pop up yet.

Littrell makes some sense for continuity sakes, but I’m not sure he’s the best available. 

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What’s Gabriel playing for? To follow Lebby there, I mean. Gabriel’s arm is fine for the air raid. 

That’s a good question. I don’t know how much difference there is in V&S vs. AR, but Gabriel has been in a V&S his whole career and knows it forwards and backwards so it would seem he’d maximize his production if he stayed with Lebby. 

23 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That’s a good question. I don’t know how much difference there is in V&S vs. AR, but Gabriel has been in a V&S his whole career and knows it forwards and backwards so it would seem he’d maximize his production if he stayed with Lebby. 

Yeah, but does he think he’s getting drafted? Or does he want to try and win some kind of championship? That’s sort of the point of my question. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, but does he think he’s getting drafted? Or does he want to try and win some kind of championship? That’s sort of the point of my question. 

I don’t really know his motivations- perhaps record chasing? He is 4,943 yards from all time passing yards, and 48 touchdowns from all time touchdowns. 

But he has to know Arnold is better in every skill category on the field except perhaps leadership and recognition (although Gabriel’s recognition skills aren’t that good). 

Considering his head injuries, the healthy thing would be to hang it up and start life after football, but I doubt that happens. If he wants to play, he should transfer with Lebby but he’s gonna get his head kicked in next season behind a shit line. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

I don’t really know his motivations- perhaps record chasing? He is 4,943 yards from all time passing yards, and 48 touchdowns from all time touchdowns. 

But he has to know Arnold is better in every skill category on the field except perhaps leadership and recognition (although Gabriel’s recognition skills aren’t that good). 

Considering his head injuries, the healthy thing would be to hang it up and start life after football, but I doubt that happens. If he wants to play, he should transfer with Lebby but he’s gonna get his head kicked in next season behind a shit line. 

Gabriel is really fucking good. He's not Kyler, Jalen, or Caleb though

How can you be not so far removed from Spencer Rattler and not appreciate Dillon Gabriel?

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Gabriel is really fucking good. He's not Kyler, Jalen, or Caleb though

How can you be not so far removed from Spencer Rattler and not appreciate Dillon Gabriel?

I do appreciate him and what he’s done through this transition period. He has been good, but I prefer to take the chance on the guy who is capable of being great. 

1 hour ago, Constant said:

so Arnold s better in every single skill category on the field but didn't touch the field in the make or break game vs TCU and the OU coaching staff rushed Gabriel back from a concussion to play in that make or break game?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

if Venables is smart he encourages Gabriel to follow Lebby and hires someone to craft an offense that is more flexible offensively and can maximize what Arnold can (super athletic, first read) and can not (make it to his secondary and tertiary reads) do.

which is fine.

it will be pretty telling to see who the OC hire and and if OU continues down the V&S path or changes to more of a full on air raid-style offense.

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

so Arnold s better in every single skill category on the field but didn't touch the field in the make or break game vs TCU and the OU coaching staff rushed Gabriel back from a concussion to play in that make or break game?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

if Venables is smart he encourages Gabriel to follow Lebby and hires someone to craft an offense that is more flexible offensively and can maximize what Arnold can (super athletic, first read) and can not (make it to his secondary and tertiary reads) do.

which is fine.

it will be pretty telling to see who the OC hire and and if OU continues down the V&S path or changes to more of a full on air raid-style offense.

Lebby’s (mis)management of the QB room is a large reason why I’m glad to see him leave. He fucked Arnold this season burning his shirt with no real experience to show for it. I suppose the BYU experience can be beneficial, but thats it. 

And that’s not even getting started on last season and failing to have a backup quarterback that can complete a forward pass. Lebby is not a good QB coach. 

I think we continue down the V&S path. I just hope the next guy isn’t so keen on snapping the ball as soon as possible every single play with no regard to the game situation. The hyper hurry up stuff works much better mixed in with a regular tempo.

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Lebby’s (mis)management of the QB room is a large reason why I’m glad to see him leave. He fucked Arnold this season burning his shirt with no real experience to show for it. I suppose the BYU experience can be beneficial, but thats it. 

And that’s not even getting started on last season and failing to have a backup quarterback that can complete a forward pass. Lebby is not a good QB coach. 

I think we continue down the V&S path. I just hope the next guy isn’t so keen on snapping the ball as soon as possible every single play with no regard to the game situation. The hyper hurry up stuff works much better mixed in with a regular tempo.

at first i questioned you on QB room mismanagement but fuck man you aren't kidding.

dude played vs Iowa State and SMU and attempted ZERO passes in both of those games?

image.png.5eeb50e38bd04f892204289ea46fd1f0.png

y'all weren't going to beat BYU with beeville or whatever players are on the roster at QB. they had to play him there for sure. especially if you are worried about a Gabriel concussion keeping him out for longer than one half...

but Tulsa and ISU are just absolute terrible QB room usage.

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

So you do or do not want the V&S?

Dino Babers is out there doing nothing right now.  He's got far less of the Briles stink on him than most.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Admittedly I've never looked at the OU commit list before - so I apologize if this has been asked - but why did OU take 3 shitty QBs commitments?

surely one of those dudes is going to change positions.

Miachael Hawkins has been committed for a while IIRC

image.png.a4dd915fae947d24174ebff3234352b7.png

Brendan Zurbrugg was committed to Northwestern and Syracuse before OU.

image.png.f93347a257a6c451a3a4fda317c8f490.png

Andy Bass goes to Heritage Hall (private school IIRC) and his most recent offers around OU were Kansas State, Yale, Harvard, UNLV, Penn (not Penn St), New Mexico State and Air Force.

actually an article about Bass says he is a PWO (as was his KSU offer): https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2023/08/24/ou-football-andy-bass-heritage-hall-commits-oklahoma-sooners-2024-recruiting-class/70666124007/

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

at first i questioned you on QB room mismanagement but fuck man you aren't kidding.

dude played vs Iowa State and SMU and attempted ZERO passes in both of those games?

image.png.5eeb50e38bd04f892204289ea46fd1f0.png

y'all weren't going to beat BYU with beeville or whatever players are on the roster at QB. they had to play him there for sure. especially if you are worried about a Gabriel concussion keeping him out for longer than one half...

but Tulsa and ISU are just absolute terrible QB room usage.

Also in between the SMU and ISU games, Arnold did NOT play in a 59-20 win over WVU because they were going to save his shirt. Then BYU happened which burned the shirt. And for the TCU game Arnold plays the last 4 plays essentially running out the clock and taking a knee. 

Played in 6 games and attempted 24 passes. 

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So you do or do not want the V&S?

Dino Babers is out there doing nothing right now.  He's got far less of the Briles stink on him than most.

I like aspects of it. Not sure how I feel about Dino. His recruiting record leaves a lot to be desired. This staff needs more heavy hitters in the recruiting department. 

37 minutes ago, NoName said:

surely one of those dudes is going to change positions.

Miachael Hawkins has been committed for a while IIRC

Brendan Zurbrugg was committed to Northwestern and Syracuse before OU.

Andy Bass goes to Heritage Hall (private school IIRC) and his most recent offers around OU were Kansas State, Yale, Harvard, UNLV, Penn (not Penn St), New Mexico State and Air Force.

actually an article about Bass says he is a PWO (as was his KSU offer): https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2023/08/24/ou-football-andy-bass-heritage-hall-commits-oklahoma-sooners-2024-recruiting-class/70666124007/

Bass is more of an Athlete pick, if I'm understanding his recruitment.  I think it was a panic response to the Texas game from last year when it became glaringly obvious there were zero QBs on the roster that could do the job at even a replacement level.

The Ezukanma thing reads like a guy who was on the bubble and could possibly follow Lebby to secure a spot.  No actual knowledge, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Constant said:

This staff needs more heavy hitters in the recruiting department. 

Agreed.  Love Bedenbaugh as a coach and developer, but something has to change with the ability to land and retain top-level OL.  If he can have a partner on staff that can act as support for him, that's the best of both worlds.  I had hopes that Murray might be that guy since RB recruiting is historically a smaller pool and can be locked up early.

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

Really like the Littrell half of that. The Finley half is a little perplexing because I had him leaving with Lebby. That room was shit this year, but thats kinda on Lebby just not using TE’s ever. We’ll see. 

Why would you use a bunch of players by your own admission are shit?

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

Seth Littrell is more of a true air raid/leach guy than a veer and shoot/briles guy, right?

also this is my shocked face that Venables continues to be super insular on who he hires (i think every hire he made had very direct connections to either OU or to Clemson) - that doesn't work long term.

13 hours ago, Constant said:

Really like the Littrell half of that. The Finley half is a little perplexing because I had him leaving with Lebby. That room was shit this year, but thats kinda on Lebby just not using TE’s ever. We’ll see. 

i assume Finley is throwing additional title and money at him to keep him from leaving.

Edited by NoName

I think Jones and Valai (if you don't count Wells as an analyst) are the only ones without ties to one or the other. 

People in the building seem really high on JJF, and I hope that's true because best case scenario, Littrell is here for two years and gets poached for a HC job somewhere.