2023 Bum Steer of the Year

TexPx

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

Crown and Anchor experience isn't really any different than it was for me in 1993.

Except I can't get the jalapeno cheeseburger plus fries combo for $3.45 anymore.  

True. It has survived better than most.

I do remember sharing a table (do people still do that?) with a dude who was amazed that I was eating their food, because he occasionally repaired stuff in their kitchen, and he wouldn't eat anything that came out of there. He said he installed a water fountain for an earlier incarnation of the bar, something something water pressure, they wouldn't listen to his advice, etc, basically it exploded when they turned it on like an oil gusher dousing everybody in the outside seating area.

He also said that where we'd piss in the troughs of ice, that used to be the old kitchen, and they'd serve folks through that vestigial window.

12 hours ago, texasdago said:

I mean 35 between ATX and SA is brutal... 

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Used to be an old wagon road between Austin and San Antonio, I believe you'd get on it somewhere south of town near that big field where they'd have concerts. Scenic two-lane drive winding along, pop out into downtown San Marcos, then there was another way from there on down south.

Bastards cut down all the trees, cut and filled the hills and valleys, and four-laned it so the Karen herds could roam the newly-generic landscape. Forgot about Oh-Woe-Is-Austin, THAT business was a crime against Texas.

• Drool 1

51 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Used to be an old wagon road between Austin and San Antonio, I believe you'd get on it somewhere south of town near that big field where they'd have concerts. Scenic two-lane drive winding along, pop out into downtown San Marcos, then there was another way from there on down south.

Bastards cut down all the trees, cut and filled the hills and valleys, and four-laned it so the Karen herds could roam the newly-generic landscape. Forgot about Oh-Woe-Is-Austin, THAT business was a crime against Texas.

If you weren't careful, the Comanches would take you out.

• Drool 1

A really interesting May 1984 article about the development of Rob Roy and Circle C from Texas Monthly.  The whole thing is worth reading but, in light of our current discussion, I was amused by some of these quotes from 1984... nearly 40 years ago:

"In the midst of the frenzy, the old Austin dream died. The city started growing faster than it ever had. Many of the old politicians didn’t recognize it, but there was a new electorate in Austin, and the newcomers didn’t share the dream of first love at Barton Springs, cold beer at Scholz’s, and picnics under the pecans."

"It is a chicken-or-egg question whether the developers caused Austin’s uncontrolled growth or merely responded to it. But there is no question about the boom itself and the resource that spawned it."

"It wasn’t only the size and dimensions of the city that had changed in ten years: its heart and texture had changed too. The center of town used to be Sixth and Congress; now it was FM 2222, four miles north of downtown. Ten years ago FM 2222 was where the boondocks began, and the only people anyone knew living north of it were dope dealers. Now it was Main Street for high-tech migrants who had moved to Austin to work for IBM, Tracor, and Texas Instruments. According to one estimate, nearly 40 per cent of the newcomers were from out of state, and 5 per cent were from another country."

1984 and the article is rife with complaints of traffic, sprawl, the character of the city, low cost housing, transplants... it's a bit of a gem.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/high-noon-at-the-circle-c/

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2

The establishment of MCC here really spawned our transition from a college/state employee town to the tech hub it is today.  That also coincided with the building boom that article describes.  

Things cooled a bit between the S&L crisis and the recession.  But by the mid-90's, Austin was off the races and was never looking back (save for the dot-com burst, but that was short lived).  I moved here in late '95 and all I heard about were the golden years of the 60's and 70's.  You know when real estate-based racism was all the rage apparently.  And the contemporaries I met when I first moved here claim it was our era of the 90's that was the heyday.  I think maybe the best balance time I personally lived through here was about 2005-2010.  We were growing too fast but I still knew my way around town, the Domain wasn't a whole city yet-just one short strip of stores, and we still got out to the all the festivals and concerts and holiday events, but they were complete logistical shitshows.  You could make it out to Lake Travis or Driftwood and things still seemed move a little slower out there.  Now it takes a week of planning.  Nevermind every fucking street in downtown is closed off.

You get older and get caught up in the area immediately surrounding your workplace, the kids' schools, and the HEB of your choosing.  It's insane and unsustainable here in the long run, but the next 10-15 years still will be fun.  

As Turk Pipkin once told me, "Only time you worry about an Austinite is when they quit bitching about the ole' days."  

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

As Turk Pipkin once told me, "Only time you worry about an Austinite is when they quit bitching about the ole' days."  

THAT is an amazing quote.

Its funny... we've been on/off in Austin since 1989... even when we lived in Houston, we would come to Austin all the time so we saw the city change.  One thing that has remained consistent with us is that when we lived in Houston (near Town & Country), we were always going into town and hanging out in the Heights, Museum District, Downtown, Montrose, etc.  Our "regular spots" were in town, not as much near us.  In Austin, its the same... we are still addicted to Guero's (tables on the sidewalk some of the best people-watching in town), spend a lot of time downtown, near and north of campus, east Austin, etc.  And it's easy for us to get to the Hill Country although not a big fan of the big 290 expansion taking place... I guess it could be worse.  Still, we've found this happy balance of all the things we can do in town and the easy access to things outside of town.  

Whatever Austin was like when you were in undergrad I think is the prime, peak example of what you think is perfect Austin.

I just spent a week at the Hotel Van Zandt, which I think is located on top of where I used to park my car on Friday to crash in cheap apartments my friends lived in near what is now a condo high-rise, and leave all weekend and come get on Sunday afternoon.

I drove through West Campus and was floored. What a pathetic turn of events from what used to be an amazing, derelict area of debauchery.

With Cain & Abel's closing what's even the point of going to UT anymore? I'll be advising my children elsewhere. Let's see how TCU does in the Natty.

6 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

With Cain & Abel's closing what's even the point of going to UT anymore? 

LMAO, why are you even around on your 70th version of your username?

NO ONE CARES. You're a troll.  And a pretty shitty one at that. 

• Haha 1

About Cain & Abel's... I agree it sucks that its closing.  Made many good memories there and I still have by pewter mug... but man would I look like a total loser going there now so, yeah, its part of the past.  Dry Creek closing sucked, too... I made it the last month it was open.  BUT... when was the last time before that?  I mean... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears... so if it was so important to me as part of my old Austin, why didn't I go?   (and we allll know that its a miracle Dry Creek stayed open that long or wasn't condemned) .And that's the problem for a lot of these places.  You love some of the places from your past or part of your old Austin?  Frequent them within reason (ahem Cain & Abel's which, honestly, is just Abel's). 

Dirty's?  Yeah... I still go there.  Save Dirty's.

Moved to Austin 30 years ago this year. 10 cent shrimp and 25 cent oysters, dollar longnecks at Pearl's Oyster bar was what I lived on after work. Extreme at the Backroom, Iggy Pop at SXSW on 6th Street, the Cult at Stubb's, and Eric Johnson at La Zona Rosa happened frequently. Newlyweds could get pretty lit and leave a $4 tip, drink eight $1 pints a piece on $20 at Copper Tank. Hut's had the two for one burger special on Tuesdays, and dollar longnecks. Dallas Club had the coin night drink specials. Had a buddy that worked at Hang-m-High on 6th street, wife and I could drink all night on $20, it was as cheap as drinking at home.

I'm not sure there are enough cheap spots to have fun as frugally anymore. But, I guess that it is all relative now. That felt like Austin in its "heyday" to me. Drinking with Brisket and another buddy at Poodle Dog, Jennie's, and La La's when we were all newlyweds, and scrimping and saving on cheap drinks and cheap fun.

I moved out in 2006, we still come down for home games, but leaving in December of every year, and not really coming back until the following September is a real eye opener. Complete areas are unrecognizable, there will be an additional square mile or two that was vacant ranch or farm land in December, in September it will be full of houses, a strip center, and 3-4 stand alone restaurants. I've never seen a vacant piece of property get developed as fast in my life.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Moved to Austin 30 years ago this year. 10 cent shrimp and 25 cent oysters, dollar longnecks at Pearl's Oyster bar was what I lived on after work. Extreme at the Backroom, Iggy Pop at SXSW on 6th Street, the Cult at Stubb's, and Eric Johnson at La Zona Rosa happened frequently. Newlyweds could get pretty lit and leave a $4 tip, drink eight $1 pints a piece on $20 at Copper Tank. Hut's had the two for one burger special on Tuesdays, and dollar longnecks. Dallas Club had the coin night drink specials. Had a buddy that worked at Hang-m-High on 6th street, wife and I could drink all night on $20, it was as cheap as drinking at home.

I'm not sure there are enough cheap spots to have fun as frugally anymore. But, I guess that it is all relative now. That felt like Austin in its "heyday" to me. Drinking with Brisket and another buddy at Poodle Dog, Jennie's, and La La's when we were all newlyweds, and scrimping and saving on cheap drinks and cheap fun.

I moved out in 2006, we still come down for home games, but leaving in December of every year, and not really coming back until the following September is a real eye opener. Complete areas are unrecognizable, there will be an additional square mile or two that was vacant ranch or farm land in December, in September it will be full of houses, a strip center, and 3-4 stand alone restaurants. I've never seen a vacant piece of property get developed as fast in my life.

CHIEF 

That's the thing for those of us of a certain age...Austin used to be a great place to be broke. It's part of what made the live music scene so vibrant. You could afford to live in Central Austin, ride your bike to your job at Thundercloud or Magnolia Cafe, and play gigs on 6th in the evenings. Even as a recent graduate, you could afford to buy a first house close in, and enjoy endless free or very cheap weekend activities. I had several friends that really agonized over what to do when they graduated...Move back to Houston/Dallas/wherever for a job that paid 20% more than they could make in Austin, but live in a "soulless hellscape" of suburbs and traffic hell, or take a lower starting salary to stay in Austin where the relatively low cost of living meant they could have a lot of fun on less money.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's the thing for those of us of a certain age...Austin used to be a great place to be broke. It's part of what made the live music scene so vibrant. You could afford to live in Central Austin, ride your bike to your job at Thundercloud or Magnolia Cafe, and play gigs on 6th in the evenings. Even as a recent graduate, you could afford to buy a first house close in, and enjoy endless free or very cheap weekend activities. I had several friends that really agonized over what to do when they graduated...Move back to Houston/Dallas/wherever for a job that paid 20% more than they could make in Austin, but live in a "soulless hellscape" of suburbs and traffic hell, or take a lower starting salary to stay in Austin where the relatively low cost of living meant they could have a lot of fun on less money.  

Yep.

And I also realize that the change in affordability is not unique to Austin.  Let's just talk about the change in price to go to a CFB game at a top-25 type program (using Texas as an example but again, it is not unique).  25-30 years ago, you could get cheap seats for some games for literally $5-10 (yes, big-time games would cost more), face value and/or direct from the university.  You could take your family of 4 to UT v. TCU, or Rice, etc., buying tickets directly through the box office or from Randalls (remember the $5 "knothole" seats?), and not break the bank.  Now, CFB is a high-dollar venture.

Shit, it used to be that any student who wanted to go to TX-OU could get a ticket with their athletics pass (you'd pay extra for the game, but no problem getting a ticket).  Now, the student allotment has shrunk to where it's a much harder ticket to get.

These aren't Austin-specific issues.  But it's a larger problem that then layers on to Austin's particular affordability problems.  While Austin has changed over the decades in many ways that have been lamented, the overall change from "great place to be broke" all the way to "you better have a lot of fucking money" is a pretty damn big change.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

About Cain & Abel's... I agree it sucks that its closing.  Made many good memories there and I still have by pewter mug... but man would I look like a total loser going there now so, yeah, its part of the past.  Dry Creek closing sucked, too... I made it the last month it was open.  BUT... when was the last time before that?  I mean... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears... so if it was so important to me as part of my old Austin, why didn't I go?   (and we allll know that its a miracle Dry Creek stayed open that long or wasn't condemned) .And that's the problem for a lot of these places.  You love some of the places from your past or part of your old Austin?  Frequent them within reason (ahem Cain & Abel's which, honestly, is just Abel's). 

Dirty's?  Yeah... I still go there.  Save Dirty's.

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

i remember lamenting when Poodle Dog closed, along with everyone else i felt like 'oh no, Austin's losing it's soul, how sad what it's becoming!!'

...and then i really thought about it for a bit and realized i hadn't actually been to Poodle Dog in 20+ years...and i lived practically walking distance to it.

so yeah, that's when i accepted it's mostly just nostalgia. most places, especially cool places, change and grow, just like people. 

it is a shame young people have such a hard time affording to live there...but even that, i had three roommates for four years, including sharing a bedroom for most of that time. the young people i know today are appalled at that concept.

everything is more expensive everywhere, not just Austin. i feel lucky that i was able to spend 30+ years there.

• Hook 'Em 7

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Hey, that used to be a grungy parking lot where my ex GF cheated on me with my dick ex roommate in his piece of shit Fiero and now there's a condo there. Fuck Austin for building that condo!!!!! 

I mean the dude drove a fucking fiero... of course he's gonna bang your gf.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You could afford to live in Central Austin, ride your bike to your job at Thundercloud or Magnolia Cafe, and play gigs on 6th in the evenings. Even as a recent graduate, you could afford to buy a first house close in

Wow, really? Not sure what era you refer to, but I graduated from the business school in 96 and to think close-in houses were plentiful for the $30k contingent is laughable.

It's not like there still aren't those somewhat seedy, funky cool, places still left in Austin.  But what I miss when I visit is that you used to not have to look so hard to find them or drive so far to get to them.  The wife and I hatched a plan around 2008 to move back to Austin after having done a stint in northeast Texas.  We ended up not going through with it, mostly because we had a good daycare situation for the kids and getting into something similarly good in Austin was going to be tough.  We've been here ever since then, and I honestly can say I'm really happy we didn't move to Austin.  We visit family down there several times each year and I get to go there for work and have my hotel, meals, and outings comped.  That's plenty, and I'm always glad to get back to my now-home where the traffic is manageable, the real estate still is relatively affordable, and the lakes are close.  If/when I move, it likely won't be somewhere else in Texas (I'm looking at you, Colorado).

The establishment of MCC here really spawned our transition from a college/state employee town to the tech hub it is today.  That also coincided with the building boom that article describes.  
Things cooled a bit between the S&L crisis and the recession.  But by the mid-90's, Austin was off the races and was never looking back (save for the dot-com burst, but that was short lived).  I moved here in late '95 and all I heard about were the golden years of the 60's and 70's.  You know when real estate-based racism was all the rage apparently.  And the contemporaries I met when I first moved here claim it was our era of the 90's that was the heyday.  I think maybe the best balance time I personally lived through here was about 2005-2010.  We were growing too fast but I still knew my way around town, the Domain wasn't a whole city yet-just one short strip of stores, and we still got out to the all the festivals and concerts and holiday events, but they were complete logistical shitshows.  You could make it out to Lake Travis or Driftwood and things still seemed move a little slower out there.  Now it takes a week of planning.  Nevermind every fucking street in downtown is closed off.
You get older and get caught up in the area immediately surrounding your workplace, the kids' schools, and the HEB of your choosing.  It's insane and unsustainable here in the long run, but the next 10-15 years still will be fun.  
I see ol Turk at the Bee Caves Lowes quite often, is he even an Austinite anymore?

10 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Wow, really? Not sure what era you refer to, but I graduated from the business school in 96 and to think close-in houses were plentiful for the $30k contingent is laughable.

One of my best friends and his girlfriend graduated in 92, got married in 93, and bought their first house, a 2/2 cottage in Bryker Woods that needed some work for $90K. Other friends bought a duplex off Koenig behind Leif Johnson Ford around the same time. They lived in one side and rented the other for a few years, then rented both sides and bought a house near Shoal Creek and Anderson. 

Both couples above were DINKS, bought the worst house in the nicest neighborhoods they could find, and were willing to do a lot of work on their own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

One of my best friends and his girlfriend graduated in 92, got married in 93, and bought their first house, a 2/2 cottage in Bryker Woods that needed some work for $90K. Other friends bought a duplex off Koenig behind Leif Johnson Ford around the same time. They lived in one side and rented the other for a few years, then rented both sides and bought a house near Shoal Creek and Anderson. 

Both couples above were DINKS, bought the worst house in the nicest neighborhoods they could find, and were willing to do a lot of work on their own. 

When Mrs. CHIEF and I got married. I tried to talk her into buying a little 2/1, or 2/2 bungalow in Travis Heights, about three blocks off from Zilker for $70k. It needed a complete renovation, but had hardwood floors. She told me she didn't want an old, broke down, piece of shit house. Worst decision I ever let her talk me out of.

CHIEF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

When Mrs. CHIEF and I got married. I tried to talk her into buying a little 2/1, or 2/2 bungalow in Travis Heights, about three blocks off from Zilker for $70k. It needed a complete renovation, but had hardwood floors. She told me she didn't want an old, broke down, piece of shit house. Worst decision I ever let her talk me out of.

CHIEF

I lost the same battle with the former Mrs Rojo. Instead, we built a 3/2 starter spec home in the suburbs. We lived in that house for 10 years and I had to write a check at closing when we sold it. Zero appreciation. Worst financial decision of my life, other than marrying her to start with. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I lost the same battle with the former Mrs Rojo. Instead, we built a 3/2 starter spec home in the suburbs. We lived in that house for 10 years and I had to write a check at closing when we sold it. Zero appreciation. Worst financial decision of my life, other than marrying her to start with. 

I stand corrected

3 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

I stand corrected

In 1993, homes were still real reasonable. The tech boom was in its infancy. That $70k bungalow, with another $80k dropped into it would be worth probably $500k by 2000. High tech, and high tech wages in the 1990s/early 2000s shot the prices up with those upstarts like Dell, AMD, HP, Motorola (hah), and Samsung.

CHIEF

21 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Brutal...  my brother and I had talked about going in on a condo somewhere in central Austin many years ago... should have done it. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Huh?

Forget it, he's rolling.  Unless he meant Stacy Park which runs through Travis Heights.  

I had a condo out of grad school (early 2000's) off Reagan Terrace.  I looked it up and hasn't really appreciated as much as I thought it would given the explosion of prices in Travis Heights.  $180 20 years ago to $460 now.  That's a lot but nothing compared to the rest of close-in South Austin.  I did notice from the photos that nobody has done anything to it since I lived there save for some appliances.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Forget it, he's rolling.  Unless he meant Stacy Park which runs through Travis Heights.  

I had a condo out of grad school (early 2000's) off Reagan Terrace.  I looked it up and hasn't really appreciated as much as I thought it would given the explosion of prices in Travis Heights.  $180 20 years ago to $460 now.  That's a lot but nothing compared to the rest of close-in South Austin.  I did notice from the photos that nobody has done anything to it since I lived there save for some appliances.  

Bouldin Creek was also pretty affordable back then, and still fairly "hood" the closer you got to Oltorf. 

Yeah, I always liked Bouldin Creek.  But it got dicey south of about Live Oak pretty much to Ben White.  But now, you drive through there, really changed.  

Still some shady areas of Dawson and Galindo, but not much.  Everything between Lamar and South Congress & Town Lake and Ben White is solidly middle class.  Very little workforce/lower income housing, even in the multi-family space.  

In the late 80s, when my my uncle got divorced, his ex wife rented a house in Hyde Park while working at the IRS for like $8/hour.

23 minutes ago, texasdago said:

An influencer currently lives there... Best Men's Devil Halloween Costumes - Spirithalloween.com

We actually have a pair of "influencers" living on our block.  They have a super-detailed, ultra-curated Instagram image.  Luxe interior decor and photoshoots, an image of an amazingly fancy "retro" life.  Think this sort of look:

40bccbe2db723eb6b3b453427be4b2c4--orange

In reality?  They're trash.  Their house looks like shit -- there's just a couple of interior rooms that are clearly just photo studios that they decorate for various shoots and act like that's how they live.   She posts about how much she loves this holiday, or that holiday....never seen a single exterior decoration.  The exterior of the house is dumpy and not maintained.  She poses for all kinds of pics with her retro bike in a cute outfit in the park, that sort of shit....but we've never seen them even so much as take a walk (and they have a kid of stroller age).  And occasionally, they fight so loudly the cops are called.  

They are a joke to the entire block.