Random TV shows/thoughts that don’t warrant their own thread.

GoPokes83

Coach, Wings, and Home Improvement were all good series.

Here's something most folks don't know (I didn't) or choose to forget, but in the early days MASH had a doctor they called Spearchunker.  I am not starting anything political/racist/other.  It was their show, not mine.  The only reason I know this is we recently did the series from start to finish.  We are working through the Beverly Hillbillies now.  Pearl's voice is like screeching on a chalkboard to me.

Two for one post.  Eight is Enough.  And, Adam Rich (Nicholas on the show) has died at age 54.

Also, if I recall correctly, it was Spearchucker Jones.  Not racist, because he was known for his prowess in throwing the javelin really well. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

• Hook 'Em 1

Two for one post.  Eight is Enough.  And, Adam Rich (Nicholas on the show) has died at age 54.
Also, if I recall correctly, it was Spearchucker Jones.  Not racist, because he was known for his prowess in throwing the javelin really well. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Adam Rich had a phenomenal late 1970’s/early 80’s!

I was really into The Office when it was current, yet I have no desire to watch an episode of the reruns. I think once a series has a wrap up ending with an official finale I’m just done. Exemptions being King of the Hill, and Seinfeld, maybe a couple of others.

My son and I use The Office as a space filler. We have watched most episodes several times and always find new things. It has aged well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, henrygandorf said:

recommend me some british crime shows that have 3+ seasons.

i've already seen broadchurch.  i have all the streaming networks.

go!

Have you seen The Tunnel?  British/French co-pro...Sky and Canal I think.  Anyway, same premise as Bron (and the American FX version The Bridge) with a body found on an international bridge, only this time it's in the Chunnel.  Stannis from Game of Thrones and Clemence Poesy are the cop leads.  Season 1 was pretty good, 2&3 not quite as good, but I liked it overall.  It's on Amazon Prime.

Can't help you with BritBox as I haven't taken that plunge yet either.  I kind of want to though.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, henrygandorf said:

go!

It can be hokey at times but I liked Midsomer Murders. There's 20+ seasons. The best part is seeing Brit actors that you see in several other shows/films but you can't remember their name, or young actors that were probably doing some of their first work. Like Henry Cavill did an episode when he was 20. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Anyone else watch car building/restoration/hot rod building shows? I DVR and watch quite a few from Motor Trend network even though I have very basic mechanical abilities.

I work on cars and enjoy the car shows.  Motortrend stuff is pretty good.  Some of the stuff on other channels (Discovery and such) clearly made by non car people for non car people can be a little cringe. 

On 1/5/2023 at 3:09 PM, henrygandorf said:

go!

Ever seen Foyle’s War? It’s a WWII era detective show. As a period piece it’s excellent. It looks authentic. The characters and the acting are great. It’s not the kind of detective mystery where they show you all the clues and the astute observer can solve the crime themselves. Many are shown but some aren’t. Some details you’ll learn about when Foyle reveals them. And since it’s a nation at war, sometimes the outcomes are different than they might be during peace time.

I really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t say it’s a 10 but I’d give it a solid 9. Michael Kitchen is awesome in the lead role. He can say a lot with just a twitch of his lip. His performance alone is worth a watch.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

To me this should have it's own thread but the show I watch more than anything else is Bob's Burgers. So many great episodes and I have it on in the background while I do work or nap.

i think there's a bob's burgers thread.  i celebrate the entire catalog and it's in my rotation for when i'm going to sleep.  huge fan of the best character on tv.

wink a little bobs burgers GIF

• Hook 'Em 4

Another vote for BBs. After my interest faded in The Simpsons (meaning it was no longer funny) and KoTH went off the air, I thought I was done with animated series. But Bob's Burgers is hilarious. And yes, Tina is likely my second-favorite animated character behind one Cotton Hill.

Also, Workaholics does not get enough love. The secondary characters at Telemericorp might be the funniest group I've ever seen. 

Another vote for BBs. After my interest faded in The Simpsons (meaning it was no longer funny) and KoTH went off the air, I thought I was done with animated series. But Bob's Burgers is hilarious. And yes, Tina is likely my second-favorite animated character behind one Cotton Hill.
Also, Workaholics does not get enough love. The secondary characters at Telemericorp might be the funniest group I've ever seen. 

Can’t get into The Great North.

2 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Can’t get into The Great North.

It's fine.  I catch up on it later in the week as background noise or before bed or while I'm on the stationary bike.  It's definitely no Bob's Burgers and no where close.  Whereas I want to watch BBs on Sunday night when it airs. 

• Like 1

Watching Heat for the first time. Haven't quite finished, but damn it's good. But what the hell is with Al Pacino and the way he talks in that movie. Just randomly going loud and wild and then back to talking like a normal human being. 

Every time I see it on my program guide I’m afraid it’s this!
4f3271923c79025f6e33f01340738583.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m disappointed that BBC America, other than The Graham Norton Show has almost zero British programming. I don’t feel the need to subscribe to Britbox but I read and hear about a bunch of supposedly good British TV shows and movies that I’d like to give a try instead of 5 hour blocks of Law and Order, Star Trek TNG, and 1990’s American movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

I’m disappointed that BBC America, other than The Graham Norton Show has almost zero British programming. I don’t feel the need to subscribe to Britbox but I read and hear about a bunch of supposedly good British TV shows and movies that I’d like to give a try instead of 5 hour blocks of Law and Order, Star Trek TNG, and 1990’s American movies.

The Britbox app will solve that. 

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I’m about app’ed out. I’d just like BBC to provide the content the name implies. But I guess the History Channel, Sundance, and Arts and Entertainment Network should have told me out front.

So...you really don't want to watch any of those programs, you just wanted to bitch about BBC "AMERICA" and their pandering to Americans.  How dare they?

You could also spring for a better cable package that actually includes the BBC and BBC News, instead.  But you probably won't, because that would be, yet another, solution to your problem.  And you wouldn't want to have one less thing to bitch about, would ya?

So...you really don't want to watch any of those programs, you just wanted to bitch about BBC "AMERICA" and their pandering to Americans.  How dare they?
You could also spring for a better cable package that actually includes the BBC and BBC News, instead.  But you probably won't, because that would be, yet another, solution to your problem.  And you wouldn't want to have one less thing to bitch about, would ya?

Douchbagsayswhat? I clearly stated I don’t really want to purchase the Britbox app in my original post, but I’d like to see a few of the more popular British shows to see if I enjoyed them. IIRC when BBC America first launched they carried exclusively British content, however they no longer provide that broadcasting and haven’t for many years. PBS carries BBC World News, as does my Sirius XM radio, so I’m good on that content but feel free to go fuck yourself on that one, and Dish only offers BBC America in any tier of their service. So while there is a BBC Select(?) app that provides documentaries and limited programs, a quick internet search doesn’t show any major cable or satellite system in the US offering regular BBC programming, so fuck you and your grandma directly in the goat ass! Anything else?
  • Fuck You 1

Just finished Fleishman is in Trouble, a limited series streaming on Hulu. It was mostly funny, but as someone who had severe PPD, I had a very visceral reaction to episode 9 (Me Time) and, to a slightly lesser extent, the last episode. It has a great cast - Lizzy Caplan, Claire Danes, and Jesse Eisenberg, to name a few.

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Douchbagsayswhat? I clearly stated I don’t really want to purchase the Britbox app in my original post, but I’d like to see a few of the more popular British shows to see if I enjoyed them. IIRC when BBC America first launched they carried exclusively British content, however they no longer provide that broadcasting and haven’t for many years. PBS carries BBC World News, as does my Sirius XM radio, so I’m good on that content but feel free to go fuck yourself on that one, and Dish only offers BBC America in any tier of their service. So while there is a BBC Select(?) app that provides documentaries and limited programs, a quick internet search doesn’t show any major cable or satellite system in the US offering regular BBC programming, so fuck you and your grandma directly in the goat ass! Anything else?

You didn’t really clearly state anything. “I’m all app’d out” seems like a bit of a beta response. 

I’m sorry you’re so goddam sensitive on a message board. And I’m sorry that don’y really wanna try that hard to find your (evidently) beloved British shows that you’ve never seen.

How much googling did you have to do for that response?  Triggered much?

On 1/6/2023 at 5:13 PM, Hawndoh said:

Better Off Ted was a short lived but fantastic comedy. Not sure which streaming thing if any it's on now.

On 1/7/2023 at 8:01 AM, Scary Stranger said:

It was fantastic

On 1/7/2023 at 8:20 AM, Hawndoh said:

Better Off Ted is still on Hulu, FYI. Posting about it made me go back and watch the episode about the racist motion sensors.

Great show which had many actors from, and was created by, the same guys that did Andy Richter Controls the Universe. ARCTU is on youtube.

On 1/7/2023 at 4:11 PM, ajax said:

Northern Exposure - the show that fell down a black hole. It's not available on streaming and the DVDs are region locked.

Great show if my memory serves me correctly.

On 1/7/2023 at 4:24 PM, Hawndoh said:

As with most of these situations, it's not anywhere because of music rights.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:57 PM, Deej said:

They had an issue with the music licensing.

The only way you can get the series in its original format is to buy the PAL version from Europe. 

https://soap2day.to/TczozMToiMTU0NHx8NzAuMTIyLjEzMC40Nnx8MTY3NTA2NzY3NiI7.html

On 1/16/2023 at 9:19 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Anyone else watch car building/restoration/hot rod building shows? I DVR and watch quite a few from Motor Trend network even though I have very basic mechanical abilities.

Check out Bad Obsession motorsports and their project Binky series on YT. It took a couple of episodes to find their footing, but I found it highly entertaining and they're great guys who really know their stuff.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:13 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Watching Heat for the first time. Haven't quite finished, but damn it's good. But what the hell is with Al Pacino and the way he talks in that movie. Just randomly going loud and wild and then back to talking like a normal human being. 

He was written to be doing bumps in the movie, but they cut it out.

14 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I’m about app’ed out. I’d just like BBC to provide the content the name implies. But I guess the History Channel, Sundance, and Arts and Entertainment Network should have told me out front.

Aside from torrents, check out Soap2Day/Soapgate.org. They have a ton of stuff for free.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Like 1

You didn’t really clearly state anything. “I’m all app’d out” seems like a bit of a beta response. 

I’m sorry you’re so goddam sensitive on a message board. And I’m sorry that don’y really wanna try that hard to find your (evidently) beloved British shows that you’ve never seen.
How much googling did you have to do for that response?  Triggered much?

Beta? Ok Mike, sure…. Second sentence first post you responded to, “I really don’t feel the need to purchase Britbox”. And saying I’d like to maybe try a British show makes them beloved how? No Google required to have a fucking memory of watching Lovejoy reruns with my dad from 20 years ago. And triggered? That makes 2 douchey buzzwords in one post! An excellent effort!!
  • Haha 1

Soap, Taxi, Night Court (the original), Rockford Files, Quincy, Columbo, The Fugitive.  

I have a hardbound copy of M*A*S*H around somewhere.  Army green cover with red cross on it.

BBC classics like Are You Being Served, Fawlty Tours, The Avengers, Dr Who, Jeeves and Wooster and of course the old Benny Hill show with Hill's Angels.  There was this one good show about an alcoholic socialite mother and her down to earth teen daughter.  Maybe some of y'all remember the title.  It was pretty funny.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Soap, Taxi, Night Court (the original), Rockford Files, Quincy, Columbo, The Fugitive.  

I have a hardbound copy of M*A*S*H around somewhere.  Army green cover with red cross on it.

BBC classics like Are You Being Served, Fawlty Tours, The Avengers, Dr Who, Jeeves and Wooster and of course the old Benny Hill show with Hill's Angels.  There was this one good show about an alcoholic socialite mother and her down to earth teen daughter.  Maybe some of y'all remember the title.  It was pretty funny.  

Ab Fab (Absolutely Fabulous) with Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumley, and Julia Sawalha...great show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2