2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

On 2/12/2023 at 7:12 PM, TonyTexas said:

JFC guys, it’s a fucking position coach who none of y’all know anything about as a coach. But Ryans does and deserves the benefit of the doubt. 

I knew him as a baby. His dad was my WR coach in high school.

I know he knows ball and will expect players to compete.

RIP Coach Johnson

• Hook 'Em 2

I really don't want them to take Young or Stroud.  I'm hoping that Ryans wants to construct a roster that can win no matter who the QB is how the 49ers have done it.  Build it around a great running game and great defense.  I'm just not sold on either of the top 2 guys.  I'd almost rather they take a chance on either of the other 2 with their 2nd first round pick at 12.  I wouldn't even mind of they traded the #2 overall if they could pick up another 1st round pick for it.  They just have too many holes to worry about. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I really don't want them to take Young or Stroud.  I'm hoping that Ryans wants to construct a roster that can win no matter who the QB is how the 49ers have done it.  Build it around a great running game and great defense.  I'm just not sold on either of the top 2 guys.  I'd almost rather they take a chance on either of the other 2 with their 2nd first round pick at 12.  I wouldn't even mind of they traded the #2 overall if they could pick up another 1st round pick for it.  They just have too many holes to worry about. 

I am most sold on Young, because he actually put that team on his back for 2 years, their offense was non-existent without him. That said, I am perfectly fine with taking Anderson (1-2) and replacing the current XFL level skill talent on the roster. If you really want a QB, go sign Carr.

• Hook 'Em 2

DE pass rusher has been a highly rated and highly paid position forever, but they say if you have an amazing DT that can get upfield and put pressure on the QB’s face it’s even more disruptive to the offense. I think about Reggie White and JJ Watt before they moved outside, Aaron Donald, John Randle, Warren Sapp, etc. I think this is why so many have Carter rated above Anderson. If Chicago trades down to fuck us on Bryce Young (especially if it is to Indy at #4), I think we should pick the best player (either Carter or Anderson) and also fuck Chicago in the process. Or trade down if another team is stupid enough to give up extra picks to get CJ Stroud (or Anderson/Carter).

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A lot of draft analysts taking shits on Levis. I think he could fall to 12. 

Put me in team Anderson at 2, pray for Levis at 12.

Hell, I wouldn’t be mad at waiting until the second or third round on Hooker. If he sucks, the 2024 QB Draft is loaded 

Hooker >>> Levis. The fact that both he and Anthony Richardson are being talked about as first rounders is absolutely egregious. Next season will be historic talent at the QB:

Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, Drake Maye, Michael Penix, etc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Hooker >>> Levis. The fact that both he and Anthony Richardson are being talked about as first rounders is absolutely egregious. Next season will be historic talent at the QB:

Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, Drake Maye, Michael Penix, etc

I mean we’ll see on Ewers, but the other 3 should have really nice NFL careers. 

15 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

DE pass rusher has been a highly rated and highly paid position forever, but they say if you have an amazing DT that can get upfield and put pressure on the QB’s face it’s even more disruptive to the offense. I think about Reggie White and JJ Watt before they moved outside, Aaron Donald, John Randle, Warren Sapp, etc. I think this is why so many have Carter rated above Anderson. If Chicago trades down to fuck us on Bryce Young (especially if it is to Indy at #4), I think we should pick the best player (either Carter or Anderson) and also fuck Chicago in the process. Or trade down if another team is stupid enough to give up extra picks to get CJ Stroud (or Anderson/Carter).

I think if the Bears move down three spots it’s probably less to fuck us and more to get more picks for what is as bare a roster as ours….

19 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I am most sold on Young, because he actually put that team on his back for 2 years, their offense was non-existent without him. That said, I am perfectly fine with taking Anderson (1-2) and replacing the current XFL level skill talent on the roster. If you really want a QB, go sign Carr.

I don’t see Carr (or Geno Smith for that matter) signing anywhere for less than 3/$90; the cost of a capable veteran QB is insane right now. I’d rather roll the dice on 5 years of a rookie contract or spend the same amount of money on the combination of Jacoby Brissett and Deron Payne…

I’d rather swing for the fences late on someone like DTR in the 5th or 6th. If it looks like he might be something, it’s found money. If not, you’ve got a strong QB class next year and multiple 1s again. I’d much rather trade back and get extra picks to use on both lines. Drafting a QB high doesn’t do you much good if he’s going to get ruined early. I’m probably higher on DTR than most, but he’s started a lot of games at UCLA, and I think he’d really fit the Shanahan offense. As an absolute worst case, he’s supposedly got strong intangibles and seems like he’d make a solid backup if you end up with Caleb Williams next year.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If his mind set is there, take the big DT from Georgia 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I’d rather swing for the fences late on someone like DTR in the 5th or 6th. If it looks like he might be something, it’s found money. If not, you’ve got a strong QB class next year and multiple 1s again. I’d much rather trade back and get extra picks to use on both lines. Drafting a QB high doesn’t do you much good if he’s going to get ruined early. I’m probably higher on DTR than most, but he’s started a lot of games at UCLA, and I think he’d really fit the Shanahan offense. As an absolute worse case, he’s supposedly got strong intangibles and seems like he’d make a solid backup if you end up with Caleb Williams next year.

There’s no guarantee that ‘draft capital’ is going to make the QB you want available. If Caleb Williams is really the man and the team with the #1 pick is dying at QB, they’re not going GAF about your picks, they’re going to take him. Movement at #1 doesn’t happen when there’s an obvious pick…

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

There’s no guarantee that ‘draft capital’ is going to make the QB you want available. If Caleb Williams is really the man and the team with the #1 pick is dying at QB, they’re not going GAF about your picks, they’re going to take him. Movement at #1 doesn’t happen when there’s an obvious pick…

I also like Drake Maye quite a bit and who knows if Ewers will figure it out. My point was if DTR doesn’t work out, you’re probably picking first anyway.

The poker game at the top will be interesting, especially if most teams needing QB are as skeptical of this crop as us amateurs. Does Indy really like one QB enough to move up from #4 at the cost of next year’s first rounder, and possibly a second rounder? If the Colts stand firm, would Chicago trade out of the top 6 with Vegas or Carolina and miss out on Carter or Anderson and maybe even the third DL and top DB? I doubt it unless it was a King’s ransom. The Bears could end up going Carter/Anderson, Houston takes their top QB, Arizona either takes the leftover of Carter/Anderson or trades with someone who wants to jump in front of Indy. Indy could end up with their top rated QB at #4 without having to give up anything. At worst they would be getting either Anderson or Carter, and I don’t think Young or Stroud are worth Carter/Anderson + second round pick + 2024 first round pick. 

If Caserio gives up anything more than a 5th rounder to move up to #1, he should be fired and castrated immediately. He could have kept Lovie from winning the final game by deactivating any player with a pulse. The #2 pick is on him. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

I just don’t see how drafting a rookie QB makes any sense unless they plan to sit him for a year. In which case, they should bring in a vet that can show whom ever it is how to be a professional and take all of the hits while they build the OL and skill players.

I’d still prefer they build the talent up and build a system. Look at the Eagles and the 49ers. They have the two best rosters in the league and neither have a great QB. Are those QB’s great for the system they run? Of course, but would Hurts be effective running the Chiefs current offense? Nope. Build the overall talent and build an offensive system.

22 hours ago, Hate said:

I just don’t see how drafting a rookie QB makes any sense unless they plan to sit him for a year. In which case, they should bring in a vet that can show whom ever it is how to be a professional and take all of the hits while they build the OL and skill players.

I’d still prefer they build the talent up and build a system. Look at the Eagles and the 49ers. They have the two best rosters in the league and neither have a great QB. Are those QB’s great for the system they run? Of course, but would Hurts be effective running the Chiefs current offense? Nope. Build the overall talent and build an offensive system.

Yes, build a roster.

Yes, Hurts could effectively run the Andy Reid offense.

The more likely scenario of “building a roster” is the Colts and Commanders who are wandering the wilderness. They’ve had great talent at times, but are so desperate at QB they took shots at Carson Wentz.

Its a fallacy to take a strategy based on the genius of others 4 years ago. There’s no shortcut beyond smart cap management, having the right people in place in your front office who are aligned with the right coaching staff.

The Texans are finally able to have a strategy and begin executing a plan beyond building a prayer group. If they think the QB prospects are special, you draft them. I think the defensive prospects are probably better bets. we shall see

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

The more likely scenario of “building a roster” is the Colts and Commanders who are wandering the wilderness. They’ve had great talent at times, but are so desperate at QB they took shots at Carson Wentz.

I think the defensive prospects are probably better bets. we shall see

Assuming both were available at 2 and 12, I’d take the combination of Carter and Richardson over Young and any of the WRs…

If you need to upgrade at each position like the Texans, then you take the best player available on the board. Assuming somebody trades up with the Bears, take Anderson at 2 and come back with Bijan at 12. IMO, those are the best player on either side of the ball in this draft. Getting both would be a real coup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

come back with Bijan at 12. IMO, those are the best player on either side of the ball in this draft. Getting both would be a real coup. 

Renzo Montagnani Remove Glasses GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

You have to take off your burnt orange glasses and put on your battle red deep steel blue glasses for a minute. Bijan could be a top 5 player in the draft, but there’s two issues:

1. As you said, Texans need help everywhere. They seem to have a decent RB in Pierce. Does a second good RB help them more the top WR of this class or a good DE?

2. Teams don’t draft RBs that high anymore. The only one in the top 15 picks the past several years was Saquon Barkley, and many think it was a mistake in retrospect to take him at #2 based on what he hasn’t contributed to the NYG winning games. 

If they really wanted Bijan for some reason, they should trade back from 12 to 19-21 range (before Philly/Buffalo/Dallas range) and get an extra pick or two. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:07 AM, TonyTexas said:

Quinn Ewers? 😂 

And the same thing was being said in 2021 about this year’s QB class. 

I'm not even there yet with Drake Maye. We've seen "oooh if he could come out right now he'd be the #1 pick" guy before. By the end of the college career, it's usually not the case.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Renzo Montagnani Remove Glasses GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

You have to take off your burnt orange glasses and put on your battle red deep steel blue glasses for a minute. Bijan could be a top 5 player in the draft, but there’s two issues:

1. As you said, Texans need help everywhere. They seem to have a decent RB in Pierce. Does a second good RB help them more the top WR of this class or a good DE?

2. Teams don’t draft RBs that high anymore. The only one in the top 15 picks the past several years was Saquon Barkley, and many think it was a mistake in retrospect to take him at #2 based on what he hasn’t contributed to the NYG winning games. 

If they really wanted Bijan for some reason, they should trade back from 12 to 19-21 range (before Philly/Buffalo/Dallas range) and get an extra pick or two. 

Pierce and Robinson aren't remotely close in talents. Robinson is a much better running back and multi-faceted, as good of a receiver that has come out of college in decades. Teams don't draft a Pierce that high, sure. Bijan is another story. He's a good value at 12.

A good upward projection for the Texans would be 6-11 this year  9-8 the next year  then the playoffs.

You don't waste 2 years of a running back's career on non-playoff years.

You take BRobinson when you were a wildcard team ready to compete for a super bowl for the next 2-5 years.

It has nothing to do with his talent.   It has everything to do with a running backs standard shelf life.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’d be psyched if they got Roschon in the third round. 

If they draft another aggy, they deserve to keep losing. In a perfect scenario, the board falls with Young/Stroud at #2 and the third DL/top OT/top CB at 12; or the top DL at 2 and best player available or Levis (who will likely be gone) at 12. Sounds like the top end of this class of WRs is weak compared to most years, and none are worth the #12 pick. They’d be damn lucky if Jalin Hyatt or Smith-Njigba fell to them at #33; then Roschon and best player available (hopefully OL or DL) with the two third round picks. 

Yea, hopefully we won't be drafting this high again and if there's a chance to take an all pro (eventually) QB at #2 then you have to do it.  Use best available after that for all the holes on this team.  If you get a talented roster with no QB ready to take the helm, then you're typically stuck in purgatory.  We've got 9 top 3 round picks over the next 2 years to continue building this roster.

• Like 1

Anthony Richardson had a freakish day at the combine today. While I don’t think I want him, one of the other QB needy teams will fall in love. I could easily see someone trade up to #1 to get him. To complicate things, Young only measured 5’ 10 1/8”, 204lbs. That’s pretty damn small. 

Edited by TonyTexas

“My heroes have always been dog fighters and sexual assaulters…”

“…OJ Simpson, Rae Carruth.

Not that you’re asking but one cant underestimate the impact Phil Spector had on the recording industry. And I’d be remiss not to mention Harvey Weinstein’s contribution to independent cinema. And, what about Roman Polanski and Woody Allen!”

On 2/25/2023 at 9:46 PM, Hate said:

#TeamHooker. That said I have no faith in Caserio pulling it off. He'll either take Hooker way too early or they'll wait too long and get leap frogged by a team moving up. 

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Mills. I would move him if they take Stroud or Levis. They have to keep him if they take Hooker. I believe Hooker is out half the season.

I don't know.  I love Lamar but I'm not sure he would be a good fit for the offense Ryans wants to run.  Can Slowik taylor an offense around LJ?  I don't know.  I'd still rather they sign someone like Jimmy G and draft a QB at the #12 spot.  Young may be a terrific player, but this roster is a couple of years away at least.  I'd rather they take DL with pick #2 and start to build from center out.  They have OT since it has become apparent they won't trade LT.  I'd love to see a draft that focuses on both lines.  They can spend some money on FA for the secondary.  They only need a Corner and another safety.  There will be some FA bargains at those positions,

• Hook 'Em 1

A team still depleted of talent should give up two first picks for the opportunity to sign a dual threat QB with injury history to a record contract that will consume 20%+ of the annual salary cap on a single player? So the games when Lamar could play he has shit for talent, and the other 30% of time he isn’t on the field and they really get their ass kicked? And they can’t make up for it in free agency because they have no cap space. If it was Mahomes, no question. Or if it was someone who can consistently get you to the playoffs for the next 4-5 years without relying on their legs when you’d expect a QB to start slowing down (or breaking down) after age 30, it is worth debating. 

I’ve never been high on this QB class, but I’m at the point of just saying all these picks are just lottery tickets and you have to take one and hope for the best. Hopefully it’s Stroud or Young and they don’t reach on Richardson who is far too risky. A month ago you could make an argument for taking Levis at 12, but he’ll be gone by 9 if not earlier. They definitely shouldn’t give up a 1st or 2nd to move up to #1, because nobody knows with certainty who will turn out better between Young and Stroud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Fucking Wow

Texans fined, forfeit draft pick for paying for Deshaun Watson's 'alternative athletic facility' in 2020

https://www.khou.com/article/sports/texans-fined-deshaun-watson/285-d2bf2628-ea55-488f-9582-5f6d7fcb3b67?fbclid=IwAR1KIqfG9RBooVcUIHpOsg209p9-CqvdtjZb3LVn92488EsYsRLnag-Zwd4

Texans expected to appeal, arguing that they already forfeited their 2020 2nd rounder by using it on Ross Blalock…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jesus Carolina. That is a steep price, and one I'm glad they didn't trick the Texans into. 

That is a sure thing franchise QB price. Young and Stroud are not that. 

I'm at peace with Stroud and best available at 12. I'd like to see a defensive player at 12. They can swing a cat and hit a pretty good WR in the second and third rounds. 

And please, for the love of God, trade Tunsil before the draft. Get picks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jesus Carolina. That is a steep price, and one I'm glad they didn't trick the Texans into. 

That is a sure thing franchise QB price. Young and Stroud are not that. 

I'm at peace with Stroud and best available at 12. I'd like to see a defensive player at 12. They can swing a cat and hit a pretty good WR in the second and third rounds. 

And please, for the love of God, trade Tunsil before the draft. Get picks. 

I think Carolina is picking Stroud. Houston I assume picking Young.

• Hook 'Em 1

Really glad the Panthers took away our ability to lose any picks at all to get a QB. I’m good with either Young or Stroud, though I still hold out hope that we trade down, get a third 1st rounder in next years’ draft, and table the QB decision for a year….

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1