2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

They’ve taken one end of the last first DL in like 15-20 years. Hard to say they have any track record at all.

They probably should have dropped back a bit but maybe he was their guy all along and didn’t want to chance it plus the price wasn’t worth it?

They FINALLY are spending money and resources in Safety and DT this offseason and we’re still crying about.

Also, no…you weren’t getting a guy like Mazi in the 2nd. He was the far and away best run defender in this draft class and an athletic freak with pass rush potential(trust quinn). Their DL took a huge step forward.
It wasn’t Kincaid. Never was. The have their eye on another TE anyways. All over the place.

Pfffffffff, Drew

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Drew said:

They’ve taken one end of the last first DL in like 15-20 years. Hard to say they have any track record at all.

And what happened with that guy? 

I'm going off what's there. They shy away from it for a reason and busted recently on one so they have nothing that says they're quality at evaluating end of first DL. Any DL

Yeah, if they actually have drafted a guy who will be a fixture inside for years to come, a major run stuffer, I'm good with it. But seems like the typical underachiever with potential that the Cowboys tend  to be suckers for. He also had an illegal concealed weapon arrest recently, so he has the street cred they like.

From ESPN…

Post-Draft Analysis

Dan Quinn's defense needs an anchor in the middle of the defensive line, and Smith can be that for them. He has elite movement skills at 6-foot-3 and 323 pounds and the positional versatility to play nose tackle or bump down to a 1-technique spot. With Johnathan Hankins a solid starter but not an elite tackle, Smith fills a need along the Dallas defensive line and could be tasked with keeping Micah Parsons from seeing double teams on the edge. -- Miller

Projected Year 1 impact: High-impact Day 1 starter. Smith is expected to be the anchor in the middle of a defense that's lacked a stout interior presence. -- Jordan Reid

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Drew said:

It wasn’t Kincaid. Never was. The have their eye on another TE anyways. All over the place.

One rumor TE target that Cowboys want is

Sam LaPorta, Iowa

Height: 6′ 3⅜” (23rd percentile) Weight: 245 (17th)
40-Yard Dash: 4.59 (90th)
10-Yard Split: 1.62 (69th)
Bench Press: N/A
Vertical Jump: 35″ (73rd)
Broad Jump: 123″ (90th)
3-Cone Drill: 6.91 (88th)
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.25 (78th)

Wingspan: N/A
Arm Length: 32⅛” (16th)
Hand Size: 10¼” (81st)

Bio: A four-year letterman and three-year team captain at Highland High in Highland, Illinois, LaPorta played wide receiver and defensive back to good renown. He was also a star in basketball, baseball, and track, and Iowa broke the logjam for the three-star recruit by offering him a football scholarship after seeing how he moved on the basketball court. Over four seasons with the Hawkeyes, LaPorta caught 153 passes on 238 targets for 1,777 yards and five touchdowns. Last season, he had 381 snaps in-line, 111 in the slot, 90 out wide, 28 in the backfield, and three at quarterback.

If you want to know how the Hawkeyes finished their 2022 season with an 8-5 record, including a 21-0 win over Kentucky in the Music City Bowl, consider that their defense ranked second among FBS teams in points allowed per game, and they ranked 123rd of 131 in points scored per game. Sam LaPorta, who continues an estimable tradition of Iowa tight ends including Dallas Clark, George Kittle, Noah Fant, and T.J. Hockenson, was the only real receiving threat in a passing game that averaged 14.8 completions, 156.7 yards, and 0.5 touchdowns per contest. His 58 catches on 90 targets for 648 yards and one touchdown should be seen in context. We generally go with more biographical information here, but it really is important to note what LaPorta was able to do with what he had to deal with.

Stat to Know: LaPorta led all tight ends in his class with 20 missed tackles forced, and I think about half of them came on this 27-yard catch against Kentucky in that bowl game.

Strengths: So, yes. LaPorta is an after-catch demon, who has the wherewithal to find openings in space on short passes, and an impressive determination to beat people up when their uniforms look different than his. the whole “contested catch” idea is relative with him, because he’s generally the one doing the contesting.

Weaknesses: LaPorta might be a willing blocker; I’m not sure. But the results on tape are often lacking. He doesn’t really have an awareness to target and stick defenders, which can lead to some interesting whiffs.

Conclusion: LaPorta’s NFL team should be excited to play on his potential in an offense that didn’t scare anybody. That team will also have to acclimate to his blocking issues, drops, and the fact that his height precludes him from being a post-up weapon downfield. Still, he shows ability as a move tight end and H-back, and that should work pretty easily into his next phase.

NFL Comparison: Owen Daniels. The Texans took Daniels in the fourth round of the 2006 draft out of Wisconsin, and Daniels managed to make two Pro Bowls as an undersized tight end with a lot of savvy, despite mostly bad-to-horrible quarterbacks. Like Daniels, who finished his NFL career as one of Peyton Manning’s more reliable targets in Denver, LaPorta has proven the ability to transcend broken offenses.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

He works for the Cowboys?

If so that's coming straight from Jerry's people to make it look like he wouldn't drop and they didn't reach 

Probably is anyway but I don't know the dude so would be some doubt if he isn't on Cowboys payroll. 

Edited by Hermanator

I knew the eagles would go for smith. Good luck Dak

Nolan Smith is projected as a smallish edge guy that will be a situational player. Cowboys got a great athletic fireplug that can stop the run, take heat off 11, and give us a legit rusher up the middle. He wasn’t going to last. I’m fine with the pick.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

I just realized the cowboys can get Coburn at Round 5 they have the 169th pick he will probably still be there. Little insurance when the Mazi cant stay on the field because he gets gassed.

Cowboys may take a look at both Coburn and Ojomo in later rounds...

I still wonder if Coburn ends up as an undrafted free agent???  

2 hours ago, Drew said:

They probably should have dropped back a bit but maybe he was their guy all along and didn’t want to chance it plus the price wasn’t worth it?

They FINALLY are spending money and resources in Safety and DT this offseason and we’re still crying about.

Also, no…you weren’t getting a guy like Mazi in the 2nd. He was the far and away best run defender in this draft class and an athletic freak with pass rush potential(trust quinn). Their DL took a huge step forward.

IMG_3625.gif

• Like 1

Maybe I’m an idiot

Top rated run stopper in cfb for a defense that struggled against the run and can likely take double teams away from your superstar defender who also seems to be really excited about the pick.

vs

A slow, short armed, “scrappy” TE that we have to basically hope is the next Jason Witten for a team that already has Ferguson & Hendershot.

Fuck it, I like the pick

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

From ESPN…  Dan Quinn's defense needs an anchor in the middle of the defensive line, and Smith can be that for them. He has elite movement skills at 6-foot-3 and 323 pounds and the positional versatility to play nose tackle or bump down to a 1-technique spot. With Johnathan Hankins a solid starter but not an elite tackle, Smith fills a need along the Dallas defensive line and could be tasked with keeping Micah Parsons from seeing double teams on the edge. -- Miller

Projected Year 1 impact: High-impact Day 1 starter. Smith is expected to be the anchor in the middle of a defense that's lacked a stout interior presence. -- Jordan Reid

• Hook 'Em 1

The analysts are all over in their grades for all teams, showing the o exact science this is. About the only universal poor grade is the Packers pick. Masi is driving A’s to C’s. But so are the other picks.

This is a draft generally deep in very good R2-4 players, with only 3-4 elite players and 14-17 players with R1 grades meaning half the picks were “reaches”. All of the choices the Cowboys were presented had questions. They have had a glaring need in the middle for years and this is a rare huge dude with moves, and can pressure up the middle. He just extended Micah’s career by a few years as 11 can’t take that punishment again. Solid pick Jerry.

This team has done as well as any team in the league with 1st round picks in recent years. I’m good with it.

• Like 1

Some info on his athletic traits.

Spoiler

Michigan has another player atop Bruce Feldman’s list of college football ‘freaks.’

The Athletic’s college football writer published his annual list of the 100 most impressive athletes around the country on Wednesday, and Wolverines defensive tackle Mazi Smith checked in at the very top. That’s right, at No. 1.

“The 6-foot-3, 337-pound senior has rare power and agility,” Feldman writes. “So rare, in fact, it’s hard to find the right superlative to begin with.”

Through Michigan’s strength staff, Feldman found out that: Smith has benched 22 reps of 325 pounds (not the typical 225), close-grip benched 550 pounds, posts a 44-inch vertical jump, and broad-jumped 9 feet, 4 1/2 inches. And that’s just his power and agility.

As for speed, well, Smith has that, too. The Grand Rapids, Mich., native has clocked a shuttle time of 4.41 seconds, which Feldman notes would’ve tied any defensive tackle at the NFL Scouting Combine this year; a 3-cone drill time of 6.95 seconds, which would have been the fastest; and a 60-yard shuttle of 11.90 seconds.

More: Michigan X-factor: DT Mazi Smith in line for expanded role

Perhaps even more impressive, however, is Smith’s performance in some of the drills Herbert and his staff ask the players to take part in. In one specific drill, players attempt to jump up a series of seven 26-inch high stairs as fast as they can. The program record is apparently 2.21 seconds, and Smith did it in 2.82 seconds. (For comparison, Aidan Hutchinson, who was No. 2 on Feldman’s ‘freaks’ list last year and is 60 pounds lighter than Smith, did it in 2.57 seconds.)

Smith even dominated Michigan’s combo-twist machine aimed to measure resistance in the trenches, forcing the strength staff to call the manufacturer to have more weight added to the machine.

“Mazi’s rotational strength is ridiculous,” Herbert told The Athletic, touting Smith as the strongest defensive lineman he’s seen in his 25 years in football. “He is an incredible combination of rare traits packaged into one player. He is just ridiculously strong and powerful.”

As noted above, this isn’t the first time a Michigan player (notably, a defender) has appeared at or near the top of Feldman’s annual list. Hutchinson was No. 2 last year, and Kwity Paye was No. 1 in 2020.

There were three other Michigan players on this year’s list, too:

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mazi-smith-1.html

6 TFLs and half a sack in 3 years is more than a bit concerning even though he is deemed a run stopper.

He was a nose tackle/interior DL in Michigan’s 3-4… he’s there to eat up double teams and let the DEs and LBs get all the glory numbers the general public needs in their mind for a pick to be “not concerning”. Ask Aiden Hutchinson & David Ojabo how well he did. Probably why Michael Parsons was so excited about the pick.

I’d expect more glory production in the Cowboys scheme.
  • Like 2

I think it's fine. He's basically Jonathan Hankins but more athletic and a much higher ceiling. Should be a good run plugger right away, with the potential to develop some pass rush ability eventually.

Fact of the matter is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference makers in the late 1st round range in this draft. Looking at who was picked after Smith and who is left, there's not a player that we should all be screaming about them drafting.

Clearly all the TE stuff was a smokescreen, which the Cowboys have shown themselves to be pretty good at. I think they looked at the TEs and said none of these guys are truly freak difference makers. It's a solid TE class but there's no Kyle Pitts here. That's a defensible position. The guy out of Georgia is pretty interesting to me, but even he would have been kind of a reach at 26.

• Hook 'Em 1

The thing about drafting a 1T is that he might turnout to be an outstanding player but most fans won't realize it.  He plays the most thankless job in football and if he's good to great at it he will make everyone around him better.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Maybe I’m an idiot

Top rated run stopper in cfb for a defense that struggled against the run and can likely take double teams away from your superstar defender who also seems to be really excited about the pick.

vs

A slow, short armed, “scrappy” TE that we have to basically hope is the next Jason Witten for a team that already has Ferguson & Hendershot.

Fuck it, I like the pick

I was never on board with a first round TE. First round TE's always make me nervous due to high rate of falling short of hyped expectations, and adjustment from college to pro game just makes it more of a dart throw. This class doesn't wow me, though there are some interesting prospects. I expected a CB or WR, but considering they already have former first rounders at those positions that are due for big new deals, it makes some sense to back off and find a guy in the ensuing rounds, cheaper early deals, unless there's a guy that they really love at that pick. They would have needed a pick a few rounds sooner.

I dig going for NT around that late first round spot, if he's really legit. The tiers get much broader at this point, separation is far less in positional rankings. They're going to need interior OL in the next few rounds. Lots of good WR and DB talent still there. Not sure they can fill every need, though. They got one of the biggest ones out of the way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The thing about drafting a 1T is that he might turnout to be an outstanding player but most fans won't realize it.  He plays the most thankless job in football and if he's good to great at it he will make everyone around him better.

I saw a ton of highlight where his pressure lead directly to sacks by his teammates. Those pass rushers are going to eat. Can’t step up in the pocket anymore.