2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

I think Overshown will be fine. He struggled here due to learning the position. Also, he tried to cover at times for deficient teammates. DQ has plan and he should be able to add size to his frame in addition Parsons is going to tell him to stay in his lane reminding DMO that he is no longer playing along side Jett Bush.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Parsons is going to tell him to stay in his lane reminding DMO that he is no longer playing along side Jett Bush.

not sure if you stayed abreast of the spring practice reports but jett bush is a heck of a player. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

As Texas fans we all know how big of a reach this is. Just a brutal pick. 

Disagree but I probably would have gone with ringo based on needs. I think Overshown is a good player and will be a better pro. Would still like to see us trade into the first pick today and get ringo. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.gif with him still being available.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I think Overshown will be fine. He struggled here due to learning the position. Also, he tried to cover at times for deficient teammates. DQ has plan and he should be able to add size to his frame in addition Parsons is going to tell him to stay in his lane reminding DMO that he is no longer playing along side Jett Bush.

The only thing I trust is DQ knows what he is doing on Defense. I trust what he’s got going on…

12 hours ago, Newy25 said:

As Texas fans we all know how big of a reach this is. Just a brutal pick. 

Yep. 5th round at earliest and I’m mildly surprised he was drafted at all. Quinn will be good for a guy as athletic as DMO but this was a really bad pick. 2nd and 3rd rounds have been awful drafting. 

Whatever person or composite espn uses on their draft tracker had dmo as the 89th ranked player and Dallas drafted him at 90.  It’s probably not a crazy reach pick the way some of you are saying.  
it’s certainly not a value pick the way ringo would seem to have been. But then again its not just Dallas that keeps passing on ringo. So do they all know something?  Do they all think everyone else knows something that they don’t and are leery?

15 hours ago, tokamak said:

Torrance, Hyatt, Ringo all still on the board as I type. 

Which means they’re going to draft someone no one has heard of. 

They haven't picked anybody form Boise State yet.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Well I was high as fuck when I posted that but I still think Dallas reached badly. They could have drafted another starting corner/nickle with Ringo and drafted Overshown in the fourth round. 

there’s a reason he’s that big and that fast and still a day three pick.  he’s not a great corner.  he needs to play safety in the league. 

Dudes on the Fan including Broaddus are really high on this guy and apparently Dan Quinn was going nuts in the draft room when they got him. 

Vita Vea's cousin, they said has a great motor, great run defender, was the conference defensive player of the year but it was the Mountain West. Hopefully it translates to the NFL

• Hook 'Em 1

Basically I think DQ has earned the right to make whatever picks he think he can use. I have little doubt he’ll turn his guys into major contributors.

Problem is the GM, the guy that’s supposed to work over all draft strategy, is getting worked by the Eagles. Eagles have a plan and they are killing it. 

And yes, I called our 1st round pick “Taco” but on second thought I trust Dan. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

Sort of reminds me of Bradley Anae for Fehoko, in that he's a poor athlete but just absurdly productive.  Now Fehoko is much more versatile.  With his build and weight, he almost looks like a spin down option on passing downs but can probably play some RDE in certain packages, can play the run too.  Can't say I've seen enough of him to really weigh a heavy opinion.

Not sure how this helps you get to the QB, but certainly interesting trivia...

• Hook 'Em 2

Main concern would be Cowboys offense. I trust what DQ is doing with the defense. But honestly if you look at what the Eagles are doing…I think the separation between the Cowboys and Eagles will be even more pronounced this year. Their whole team will be from Georgia at some point. Lol. 

At this point every pick is a major projection and every player has holes in their game. Eagles traded up for Ringo but he's not a sure thing. He's not that quick for a corner so probably will have issues with quick receivers, is slow to break on the ball, and doesn't have good ball skills. Might be a safety project more than corner. 

Eagles have been great at finding players but a lot of that was their ability to spot free agents and low level trades for guys who produced for them for low cost. 

Their biggest problem now is the same thing that's the Cowboys biggest problem. Their QB is a cap killer now and like Dak he's not a guy who can Mahomes his team to wins in the playoffs. He needs a lot of help around him even as good as he's become. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Sharif Floyd said one is the things they like about him he's projected to be able to slide inside into pass rushing role as a tackle on long distance passing downs but can still hold up against the run if the offense tries to switch them up. 

I stated the same thing..... He probably is going play around 270-275 lbs, but here is a telling stat to play as package player too.....

We're finally addressing our terrible run defense..... The Niners have shown us the past two years, you better be able to stop the run in the playoffs.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Here in the 5th looks like a good time to address running back. If he's still there do they take a chance on the character for the explosiveness of Zach Evans? Or look for more of a short yards, move the chains guy like Zeke was? I think if they want the short yardage one they can wait for the 6th

Top of 6th Rd...

The Cowboys moved up the board for the first time in this draft on Day 3.

Dallas used the 178th overall pick to take Southern Miss cornerback Eric Scott Jr. to start the sixth round. The Cowboys selected North Carolina offensive lineman Asim Richards nine picks before Scott in the fifth round.

According to Michael Gehlken of The Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys sent a 2024 fifth-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for the 178th pick this year. Dallas didn’t want to risk losing Scott

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Deuce’s dad is apparently a scout with the Cowboys. Did not know that.

I posted this in the NFL draft thread earlier about it

On 105.3 in Dallas they were interviewing the Assistant GM of College Scouting for the Cowboys: former Longhorns DB coach Chris Vaughn. Had no idea Vaughn was in Cowboys scouting. Also had no idea his son is KSU's Deuce Vaughn who's in the draft today. 

Wonder if that association would make it more or less likely for the Cowboys to draft Vaughn. I think if ROJO is there at the Cowboys pick in the 4th then it'll be the pick to make to shore up the RB room. 

3 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Basically I think DQ has earned the right to make whatever picks he think he can use. I have little doubt he’ll turn his guys into major contributors.

Problem is the GM, the guy that’s supposed to work over all draft strategy, is getting worked by the Eagles. Eagles have a plan and they are killing it. 

And yes, I called our 1st round pick “Taco” but on second thought I trust Dan. 

Hmmm maybe you're right, but I'm starting to feel like DQ's influence on our draft choices is starting to rival the control Marinelli seemed to have back in the day.  Those wtf? corners we drafted a few years ago can't get on the field and a few other defensive picks didn't make it out of training camp.