2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

On 6/11/2023 at 7:26 AM, lilMAC25 said:

77 will miss games this season. 

It is inevitable.

I wouldn’t pay Zeke $1MM at this point. He has very little to give.

I think he’s got a lot more to give than people think. It’s just got to be a part of a committee with no fewer than 3 backs. 

He's still a good pass blocker, decent short yardage guy, and by most accounts a great teammate, especially tight with Dak. If he's cheap enough and accepts a smaller role I'm fine with bringing Zeke back. 

Dak will be 30 this summer.  In the next 2 years he needs to be on a team that gets to a Conference championship (where he plays well) or a SB.  Fair or unfair, this is how QBs are judged these days.  Brees, who was hearing a lot of the same criticisms at the same age, won the SB at 30.  Dak is a a weird age for a QB, you either get to a SB or win one and then you can have your 30's to try and get back there or you'll just be that "pretty good" QB (that he probably is) but always come with the rep of can't get it done.  A lot of QBs who can't get it done don't get to start after 32-33.  I'm sure there are couple but think about the older guys now -- Rodgers, Wilson, Ryan (done), Cousins, Tranny, etc.  Cousins and Tranny may be on their last years as starters in the league or be the gap starter for a rookie the rest of their careers.  Dak only has a couple of years before that's him.  Doesn't matter the stats he puts up.  Again, maybe it's fair, maybe it's not, but it's how the perception of QBs has grown.

Dak will be 30 this summer.  In the next 2 years he needs to be on a team that gets to a Conference championship (where he plays well) or a SB.  Fair or unfair, this is how QBs are judged these days.  Brees, who was hearing a lot of the same criticisms at the same age, won the SB at 30.  Dak is a a weird age for a QB, you either get to a SB or win one and then you can have your 30's to try and get back there or you'll just be that "pretty good" QB (that he probably is) but always come with the rep of can't get it done.  A lot of QBs who can't get it done don't get to start after 32-33.  I'm sure there are couple but think about the older guys now -- Rodgers, Wilson, Ryan (done), Cousins, Tranny, etc.  Cousins and Tranny may be on their last years as starters in the league or be the gap starter for a rookie the rest of their careers.  Dak only has a couple of years before that's him.  Doesn't matter the stats he puts up.  Again, maybe it's fair, maybe it's not, but it's how the perception of QBs has grown.

Cowboys QBs generally fit two slots. The greats: Roger, Troy. Then the near great disappointments that just could get a ring. Meredith, Morton, Danny, Romo. The real losers get run. Dak is circling that almost drain. He has to deliver in the next two seasons.

He was a great punter.

Never said Danny was a shitty QB, or Romo, or Don. All of them did great things; just not great enough. Lots of teams haven’t had a QB let alone two as good as Romo or Danny or even Dak. It’s why Cowboys QB might be the hardest job in all of sport.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

He was a great punter.

Never said Danny was a shitty QB, or Romo, or Don. All of them did great things; just not great enough. Lots of teams haven’t had a QB let alone two as good as Romo or Danny or even Dak. It’s why Cowboys QB might be the hardest job in all of sport.

Don, Danny, and Romo were phenomenal quarterbacks who never won a Super Bowl.  Do not compare Dak to them.  Dak is a fucking fraud and is an awful, phony, useless piece of shit who will never win anything but will surely steal about $250MM more from Jerry before he retires with two career playoff wins.

Edited by futureman

Jaylon Smith guesting this am on GMFB. He’s better at that than he was at football, make of that what you will.

That’s not a high bar. He was lucky just to make it to the correct studio.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Jaylon Smith guesting this am on GMFB. He’s better at that than he was at football, make of that what you will.

He's found out another way to make a living taking bad angles.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Gotta see the post season success. Last 2 years have sucked, because it was right there for the taking and the QB didn't play well enough. Just a hard truth.

Of course.  I saw the meme, made me think of @futureman, so I posted it. Just trolling the guy who teaches a Masterclass on trolling. 

He's found out another way to make a living taking bad angles.

Jaylon Smith replaced Bobby Carpenter at the top of my list of all time most hated Cowboys. He just sucked so bad; drafted because Jerry thought it would make a good movie.

He gets that from hearing stories from Gil Brandt. Jerry, Roger was a 10th round pick.

Dallas drafted Carl Lewis too. But Jerry ignores or is ignorant of how that went.  And he was an even later pick, like 12th or 16th round. 
eliminating the back half of the draft also should have eliminated the random flyer picks and turned the Larry browns into udfas. That’s where you go for the good story or crazy flyer on a basketball player. 

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s a pretty good O/U number. He’s averaged 2/3 interceptions per game for his career. 

Actually, fractions isn't mine..... so I got it now.

If he plays 17 games, 10 would be fine if it comes with 30+ TDs.  He just needs to cut down on the RZ Int's..... on both ends.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Actually, fractions isn't mine..... so I got it now.

If he plays 17 games, 10 would be fine if it comes with 30+ TDs.  He just needs to cut down on the RZ Int's..... on both ends.

I saw your post pre-edit. Look in the fucking mirror. 

Looks like Zack Martin will holdout if Dallas doesn’t restructure his deal. He’s $7m behind the top guard out there from his 2018 deal. Uhh better take care of him Jerry instead of staring at CeeDee and Diggs and parsons. I’d put Diggs on the back burner…his flash doesn’t match his fuckups.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Looks like Zack Martin will holdout if Dallas doesn’t restructure his deal. He’s $7m behind the top guard out there from his 2018 deal. Uhh better take care of him Jerry instead of staring at CeeDee and Diggs and parsons. I’d put Diggs on the back burner…his flash doesn’t match his fuckups.

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Martin officially holding out.   

Diggs extended 5/97, not sure all the specifics.   But it isn’t a reset the market contract….which I’m impressed with. 

Looks like a good deal.  5th most for a CB as an extension so he plays this year as a seriously underpaid CB.  Obviously needs to play at same level or better.

15 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

do not restructure martin's contract.  when you choose the longer contract for more guaranteed money you give up the ability to keep up with cap changes.  play out your contract.

I tend to agree.  If you want to remain at the top of the salary list then sign short contracts.  You sign a long contract for security. 

On 7/17/2023 at 11:46 AM, futureman said:

he also won't have any playoff wins.  what a fucking loser.

When your goal is to NOT do something shitty, that's a bad sign.

Top QBs are "win the division, make the championship, win the super bowl ... maybe break a personal record."

Dak: "I'm not gunna fuck up as bad as I usually do."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There is no security with NFL contracts.  The owners don't want guaranteed contracts, so they get to deal with stuff like this.  It's a problem of their own making.

Huh? Fully guaranteed? Few and far between and contracts like Deshaun Watson’s will make them continue to be rare. They are stupid to do. However most second contracts of any scale have guarantees. Justin Herbert got a $262.5m 5 year contract with $218m in guarantees. Trevon Diggs new contract is $96.5m with th a $21m signing bonus and $42m guaranteed. I he guarantee is the target, the balance is gravy.

There was mention in the Jones presser on Tuesday about "being glad that Brad (Sham) is here with us today." 
Did he have some major health issue(s) during the offseason?

I rue the day Brad Sham is no longer the play by play guy for the Cowboys. His voice is iconic especially on the NFL Films highlights using his call for the narration.
  • Hook 'Em 2