2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

I’m glad we letting people like McGovern and Shultz go so we can keep that worthless cocksucker Zeke around for four more years.

Zeke will be a June 1 cut to maximize more cap space. At least it better happen.

Kelvin Joseph needs to cut right now with stephon coming to town. He is a turd

I’m glad we letting people like McGovern and Shultz go so we can keep that worthless cocksucker Zeke around for four more years.

Schultz was going to cost WAY too much money for the contributions he made. Not worth it.

I hope this is true. Bud Kennedy though is a food writer not a sports writer. I trust his info on cheeseburgers. On his politics and sports info not as much.

He has to get cut this afternoon as they have to be under the cap. Jesus please let this happen.

16 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I hope this is true. Bud Kennedy though is a food writer not a sports writer. I trust his info on cheeseburgers. On his politics and sports info not as much.

He has to get cut this afternoon as they have to be under the cap. Jesus please let this happen.

Chill chimes in: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article273154460.html?fbclid=IwAR0Y3kuid7N4APlZbCTWQznXDgc8SgGwgeW8swA_ggxw0dsmnNbdGibzPR8

The Ezekiel Elliott era appears to be over in Dallas.

Per a source close to the situation, the Cowboys are set to part ways with the two-time NFL rushing champ and the running back is preparing to start fresh with a new team.

The move could come as soon as Wednesday afternoon when the league’s 2023 calendar officially begins at 3 p.m. and teams are required to be under the salary cap.

Elliott’s future has been in doubt since the end of the 2022 season.Elliott, who came to the Cowboys as the No. 4 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, is set to count $16.4 million against the 2023 salary cap with a non guaranteed $10.4 million base salary.

After rushing for a career-low 876 yards and averaging a career-low 3.9 yards per carry, while watching Tony Pollard surpass him as the team’s primary running back, a pay cut or release was inevitable. And when the Cowboys gave Pollard, the franchise tag of $10.1 million, ballooning the salary for the running back room to an NFL-record high $27.68 million in 2023, this day of reckoning was at hand.

While owner Jerry Jones said at the NFL Combine last month that he would like to find a way continue with Elliott and Pollard at running back in 2023, finding a number suitable for both sides proved to be a bridge too far.

Cutting Elliott saves the Cowboys $4.86 million. If they designate him a post-June 1 cut, they would save $10.9 million. After rushing for more than 1,000 yards in three of his first four seasons, including two rushing titles, Elliott has only surpassed that number once in the past three seasons.

His decline came after he signed a six-year, $90 million contract in 2019, thus has causing the narrative about Elliott’s effort and play that belied his value to the franchise as a leader.

The guarantees ended in Elliott’s contract after last season, forcing him to enter the 2022 season with his future hanging over his head.

After playing through a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, Elliott missed two games in 2022 after suffering a hyperextension of the same knee. The running back termed the injury torn medial collateral ligament. Elliott played the final 10 games of the season with a brace on the knee. He didn’t need offseason surgery and will start anew healthy in 2023 with another team.

Elliott ends his Cowboys career with 8,262 rushing yards and 68 rushing touchdowns and 80 total touchdowns, ranking third in franchise history in all three categories behind Hall of Famers Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett. The decision with Elliott puts the Cowboys squarely in the market for a running back in the draft and free agency with Pollard on the hook in 2023 on a one-year franchise tag and 2022 undrafted rookie Malik Davis as the only other running back on the roster.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article273154460.html#storylink=cpy

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll always love Zeke. Really good player for a while and seems like a good teammate.  No one forced Jerry to be an idiot and give him that money when everybody could see what was going to happen. Good for Zeke for getting it.

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Did Jerry go and hire a real GM and forget to tell us?

Between this and the trade with Indy, I'm seeing like real GM moves here.  Can't be Jerry doing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

The demand for running backs who are slow and whose best skill is now pass protection is low.  Someone will take a flyer on him, but he's just as likely to be a camp cut as he is to end up on their opening day roster.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Would love that, but I'm guessing he'll be gone, unless they move up. 

No doubt he'll be the first RB off the board, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he's still available mid to late in the 1st round. I've seen multiple mock drafts that have him as high as 10th and as low as high second round (stupid). Average seems to be 18-22ish. He's the first RB off the board in all the ones I've seen...guess it just comes down to how much a team values the RB position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Yup. I was just coming to post this from the Athletic 

The Cowboys will release All-Pro running back Ezekiel Elliott after seven seasons, a team source confirmed to The Athletic on Wednesday. He will be designated as a post-June 1 cut. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram first reported the news.

You can't say that right now. It all depends on who's there at that pick. If no 1st round rated corners are there, no 1st round rated guard, and no 1st round rated WR but he's there then you take him. He's as much of a receiver as Pollard and he'll give you 5 good seasons without having to give him a 2nd contract.

Backs who can torch LBs and beat safeties in routes and have great hands are far more valuable than a regular RB. Against the 49ers Pollard out of the backfield abusing even their best LB was the only sure fire thing that was working to open up their defense and once he went down it shut the whole offense down.

Having 2 of those guys can destroy even very good defenses because no one is equipped to handle it. Put CeeDee out wide with Ferguson and Hendershott on the line and Bijan and Pollard in the backfield and it's a jumbo package. Teams have to sub out of base nickel or dime to match up heavy with LBs. Once they do you can motion out either or both of Bijan and Pollard and even flex out a TE and it becomes a spread look with all 4 guys who can torch LBs and safeties. Great advantage for Dak. If they refuse to match big you can run on them with that jumbo look. It would be a version of what Belichick did destroying defenses with two TE sets before Hernandez got caught murderin'.

There's an argument to be made that with a healthy Pollard adding Bijan completely unlocks the offense against any defense in the league.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

You can't say that right now. It all depends on who's there at that pick. If no 1st round rated corners are there, no 1st round rated guard, and no 1st round rated WR but he's there then you take him. He's as much of a receiver as Pollard and he'll give you 5 good seasons without having to give him a 2nd contract.

Backs who can torch LBs and beat safeties in routes and have great hands are far more valuable than a regular RB. Against the 49ers Pollard out of the backfield abusing even their best LB was the only sure fire thing that was working to open up their defense and once he went down it shut the whole offense down.

Having 2 of those guys can destroy even very good defenses because no one is equipped to handle it. Put CeeDee out wide with Ferguson and Hendershott on the line and Bijan and Pollard in the backfield and it's a jumbo package. Teams have to sub out of base nickel or dime to match up heavy with LBs. Once they do you can motion out either or both of Bijan and Pollard and even flex out a TE and it becomes a spread look with all 4 guys who can torch LBs and safeties. Great advantage for Dak. If they refuse to match big you can run on them with that jumbo look. It would be a version of what Belichick did destroying defenses with two TE sets before Hernandez got caught murderin'.

There's an argument to be made that with a healthy Pollard adding Bijan completely unlocks the offense against any defense in the league.  

Those are all great ideas, but will McCarthy use him that way, or just “run the damn ball”?

eta: I hope Bijan goes somewhere that will properly utilize his skills 

Edited by Hammerin Hank

35 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Hopefully we draft Pollards replacement as well. RBs are generally out of their prime by year 6 or so and most smart teams have adopted the use em up and throw them in the trash can model, no big 2nd contract. Allocate the cap to less replaceable positions.

Pollard is CMC starter kit.  Yes, get somebody to spell him. The days of 1RB are way the fuck over, but Pollard is going to kick ass.

31 minutes ago, slorch said:

Pollard is CMC starter kit.  Yes, get somebody to spell him. The days of 1RB are way the fuck over, but Pollard is going to kick ass.

I was thinking about this today. hear me out… two RB1s, one backup.  you only activate one RB1 each week; they switch off so that they get two weeks rest after every game.  the backup gets about 5 carries a game or whatever is needed.  your bell cows are fresh for the playoffs; and you play both of them in each playoff game. then sit back and watch the Super Bowls roll in.  it’s almost too easy. 

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't want them to draft Bijan. Not because I don't want him, but I would rather see him go somewhere with a legitimate chance of winning it all.

He'll make bank here, but until shown otherwise my outlook on the team is decidedly pessimistic.

I'll welcome him gladly if he gets picked.

Did you want him to go to Ohio state too?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did you want him to go to Ohio state too?

Hell no. In any number of other worlds that don't have Jerry Jones making personnel decisions like he didn't under Jimmy I would be glad to see him.

I'd also like to see a healthy Colt. No muffed punt against Georgia and a host of other sports turning points turn out differently. 

But, that's not the world we live in. We have a delusional old man careening wildly down NFL Blvd. I won't wish it on a player that I think has a chance to succeed in the NFL and especially not one of our own. The Cowboys are tragicomic. I'd hate to see him go to Philly. Or San Francisco. Absolutely disgusted and simultaneously pleased if he won it all at either place.

Wouldn't hate it quite so much if he went to Denver, Seattle, KC or others.

The Washington Football team can fuck off too.

Somebody is going to run him until he has nothing left. That's the nature of the position. 3-5 is probably going to be the most we can expect under normal circumstances, 7-10 if he's exceptional. I don't see him getting to the big game here in either of those time frames. 

Unless we subtract at least one person from the process. The nemesis for the hubris still remains. He keeps running up that bill instead of paying it down.

I don't want them to draft Bijan. Not because I don't want him, but I would rather see him go somewhere with a legitimate chance of winning it all.
He'll make bank here, but until shown otherwise my outlook on the team is decidedly pessimistic.
I'll welcome him gladly if he gets picked.

You’re good, they won’t draft him.