2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

27 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Beeville Jones beats Calallen 27-25. @Nueces River Rat what happened to your people this year

I caught the end of the Lampasas radio broadcast and the head basketball coach for Lampasas has done the YouTube broadcasts all year with a new guy from Illinois (Who is a great play-by-play guy). He was explaining why Calallen losing in the first round was a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Jags win 36-31. Johnson will beat LT, that offense is just going to be too explosive for the cavs to handle. Hawkins is the real deal.

Dude is definitely plays like a P5 prospect. Is Lake Travis just not good this year?

• Hook 'Em 1

First round of the playoffs is complete shit at the levels below 6A because of the preseason split, so here are the 6A-dominated best games of the opening round:

Allen-Lewisville  18-17 Eagles.  

Bridgeland-Cain  Cain 50-49.  Bridgeland has a helluva program, but they have to quit acting like playing D is a nuisance.

Vandegrift-LT  13-10 Cavs in an upset

Coppell-Guyer 35-21 Coppell

Cedar Hill-Weiss  Jesus, 62-0 CH.  Weiss was #5 in the Austin area, and CH is probably not in the Top 10 in the Dallas area.

Dekaney-Oak Ridge  Tomorrow -- boo!

Ryan-Lake Belton  38-13 Raiders.  The highlights I saw, Ryan was playing a different QB than they were earlier in the year, and this one looked competent.

Midlo-Northwest  40-37 Northwest in a bit of an upset

A&M Consol-Wagner  42-17 jr aggy

Timberview-Wakeland  21-18 Wakeland

Randle-FB Marshall  35-24 Randle!   I think I saw several DCTF people picking Marshall to win the  region.

Texark-Terrell  51-28 Texark gets revenge for last season.

Lorena-Yoakum  45-7 Leopards

Also,

stunner last night in 3A: Little River Academy rallied over #6 Hitchcock 42-36.

Red Oak 35-32 over Burl Cent

CP 20 NBC 16

Beeville 27 Calallen 25  First year since 1989 that Calallen loses in round 1.

Bellville 49 WOS 7

Gilmer 69 Center 42

Whitesboro 35 Jim Ned 34

Hooks 92 Edgewood 57  Jeez, did they suit up Billy Sims?

Wall 66 Tornillo 0

Panhandle 93 Tahoka 54  Panhandle has scored 627 and is 10-1.

Pearland 16 Dickinson 14 5 OT  Was Ferentz's kid in south Houston tonight?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Cedar Hill-Weiss  Jesus, 62-0 CH.  Weiss was #5 in the Austin area, and CH is probably not in the Top 10 in the Dallas area

Cedar Hill turned out to be a sneaky good 5-5 team. The 5 L's came against 5 teams that are all still playing and are a combined 48-5. They beat down Martin in week 2 but started 1-4 before winning 4 out of their last 5 (the loss being a retroactively impressive 35-13 vs DeSoto).

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Bingo, Boerne waltzes through 4AD1R4.

They did not waltz through 5-5 Taylor to begin things. 28-28 going into the 4th before scoring twice in the final period. Matter of fact Boerne’s district went 1-3 in the opening round. Even taking into account their 42-28 win they were outscored in the 4 bi-district games by a combined total of 184-73. 

Davenport 62-14 Fredericksburg

Burnet 42-17 Somerset

Lampasas 52-0 Uvalde If Lampasas played their starters after halftime it would’ve been one of those 70 plus point wins so many teams are putting up now.

Davenport will win the region and win that 3rd round game by double digits. They have been tested by better opponents overall this year and they have the best offense in the region, by far. Burnet gave Brownwood a pretty stout test on the road early in the season and have not lost since Lampasas beat them to open district play. It would not shock me to see Burnet in the regional final. 

6 hours ago, Scholz said:

McNeil Mavs over Bowie 17-14 for their 1st playoff win in 19 years. Last team standing out of 25-6A (Vandegrift, Round Rock and Vista Ridge all lost). Mavs we’re down 14-0 in the 4th.

Cibolo Steele in San Marcos next week.

image.thumb.jpeg.10fc29eb3af6def1a85fccc0afacf14c.jpeg

I remember playing McNeil back in 1994 when the Mavs were still the new school in that area. I was on the freshman team that year and they pistol-whipped us. Our varsity returned the favor the next night though.

I always like the RR schools because a cousin that I still call from time-to-time was a starting defensive end on the 1992 RR High team. All 5’10” 180 lbs of him. I remember going to watch them play their first round game against Temple the year the Wildcats won state. The Dragons had Ines Perez as their coach and they got up 14-0 pretty quickly. The only problem was Coach McQueen and Temple scored the final 55 points of the game…😂

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Panhandle 93 Tahoka 54  Panhandle has scored 627 and is 10-1.

Tahoka is 4-14 alltime, as in forever, in the playoffs.  They have almost as many winless seasons (11) as they do playoff berths.  It is unbelievable how thoroughly they have sucked through the years.

14 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Boerne is “experienced” on the biggest of stages, as they lost last year in Jerry World, so we’ll see. I am biased, as both my kids are Greyhounds.

Hook’em!!!

Boerne has a problem with teams that can throw the ball,   Flour Bluff showed that early this year.   Hate to tell you and as a Calallen fan who went through the same thing last year thinking  Jerryworld was the last stop.   But your district masked some weaknesses and a pretty salty Taylor team almost confirmed it.   Same thing happened to us last year as we didn’t really blowout the doors in any of our playoff games and then you all took it to us.  

On 11/8/2023 at 1:38 PM, TreatyOak said:

Remember how Allen let their Aggy friend win the bid for the $60M stadium that wasn't even built correctly? I could be wrong, but i think it was a single bid. 

Allen and the schools that followed mainly in the DFW and Houston areas fed the backlash beast that forced ISDs to put major athletic venue renovations on a separate ballot.   That will change in few years when more of the same ISDs in the theses areas can’t even renovate their existing facilities because voters keep on rejecting it. They will get the Legislature to change the law and go back to a vote for everything on one ballot 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tahoka is 4-14 alltime, as in forever, in the playoffs.  They have almost as many winless seasons (11) as they do playoff berths.  It is unbelievable how thoroughly they have sucked through the years.

Was Tahoka ever 1A? I remember around 2000 watching the immortal Scooter Thompson of Knox City put a hurtin on a team that I want to say was Tahoka. I don't believe the Greyhounds had a winning season again after he graduated until they moved to 6-man.

29 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Was Tahoka ever 1A? I remember around 2000 watching the immortal Scooter Thompson of Knox City put a hurtin on a team that I want to say was Tahoka. I don't believe the Greyhounds had a winning season again after he graduated until they moved to 6-man.

They might have been  I'm outta town so I don't have my DCTF handy. They've always been that borderline size of school at the high end of 1A( now 2A) and the low end of 2A( now 3A.)  That's also at the root of some of their challenge, but their playoff futility is pretty hard to believe.  Maybe they should petition to play El Paso schools in bi-district.

When i hear Knox City, I just immediately think of Duane Tolliver.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
17 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:
I think of the “Knox City Knocker” Danny Balis. I assume that he still works for The Ticket. I guess I could just check the thread dedicated to that radio station to find out.

He's on 97.1 The Freak now. Along with Mike Rhyner.

Well how about that. Learn something new everyday. I thought Rhyner had retired as well.

• Like 1

Here is something else Knox City related. The original video I saw because of Danny Balis and Corby getting the audio played during a broadcast of The Hardline. I wondered if this guy was still around and by God the Knox City Superfan still is! 

Looks like he has had some dental work done at some point in the last dozen years, but as big a fan of the home team now as he was then!

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Here is something else Knox City related. The original video I saw because of Danny Balis and Corby getting the audio played during a broadcast of The Hardline. I wondered if this guy was still around and by God the Knox City Superfan still is! 

[/url] Looks like he has had some dental work done at some point in the last dozen years, but as big a fan of the home team now as he was then!

He had to make a heck of a trek to find a dentist. The only one for 70 miles, Don Ray, packed up shop in the late 90's to become a mortician and run a funeral home in Aspermont. More of a demand for putting dead people in the ground than fixing teeth in that area.

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

He had to make a heck of a trek to find a dentist. The only one for 70 miles, Don Ray, packed up shop in the late 90's to become a mortician and run a funeral home in Aspermont. More of a demand for putting dead people in the ground than fixing teeth in that area.

Well I gotta tell you that wherever he got it done it’s noticeable. Big upgrade. I am pretty certain my man is also on the spectrum like I am which means he’s probably an encyclopedia of Knox City football and their other sports in general. It would be cool to meet this guy at some point in life because I can guarantee he’d be entertaining to listen to.

Also Knox City is 1st in the state and national six man rankings right now. They beat the number two team in the state and nation early in the year by 4, but look to have to play them again in a couple of weeks going by the brackets

Well I gotta tell you that wherever he got it done it’s noticeable. Big upgrade. I am pretty certain my man is also on the spectrum like I am which means he’s probably an encyclopedia of Knox City football and their other sports in general. It would be cool to meet this guy at some point in life because I can guarantee he’d be entertaining to listen to.
Also Knox City is 1st in the state and national six man rankings right now. They beat the number two team in the state and nation early in the year by 4, but look to have to play them again in a couple of weeks going by the brackets

That Knox City guy is a true fan that most schools would love to have. I bet he’s there for Spring sports as well, both boys and girls! He’s a true gem to HS sports! Hats off to him for his decades of commitment to the KC program, even though it’s on the smallest of scales.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

That Knox City guy is a true fan that most schools would love to have. I bet he’s there for Spring sports as well, both boys and girls! He’s a true gem to HS sports! Hats off to him for his decades of commitment to the KC program, even though it’s on the smallest of scales.

Hook’em!!!

I find people like this man to be really cool in how they can channel all of their passion into so much positive energy. He seems like a really kind soul. More of us, myself included, can stand to learn something from an example like this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just talked with one of my friends that coaches at Carter and he is looking forward to the challenge of playing Stephenville this week. He stepped away from coaching football for 23 years I believe (He’s a basketball guy first and foremost), but the last time he was coaching football he was part of one of the biggest upsets in Texas HS football history. He was a young coach on the staff at WW Samuell when they shocked top ranked Highland Park in the first round (Before getting bounced by Ennis the next week). He still to this day has never willingly scheduled Highland Park because of the racist things that were said by their fans after the game in the parking lot to their players and coaches. He’s still salty anytime that school is brought up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Just talked with one of my friends that coaches at Carter and he is looking forward to the challenge of playing Stephenville this week. He stepped away from coaching football for 23 years I believe (He’s a basketball guy first and foremost), but the last time he was coaching football he was part of one of the biggest upsets in Texas HS football history. He was a young coach on the staff at WW Samuell when they shocked top ranked Highland Park in the first round (Before getting bounced by Ennis the next week). He still to this day has never willingly scheduled Highland Park because of the racist things that were said by their fans after the game in the parking lot to their players and coaches. He’s still salty anytime that school is brought up. 

Funny how they aren't doing this as much anymore in the world of smartphones and livestreams.

Highland Park has some of the worst people on the planet.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Highland Park has some of the worst people on the planet.

Not if you ask them. 😀