Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

The AF guy is not who we should be going for IMO.  Between Jayson Kent, Tremon Mark and Tre Johnson, we already have enough bodies who can play small forward.  If we get him, that's fine, but we have bigger needs.

We really need an elite 4/5. Somebody can defend bigs and who brings a tough attitude to the team.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The vibe I get with the AF kid is he's ours if we want him. I think it's more our decision than anything. 

Agree.  Cal is his other finalist and the vibe over there thinks much the same.  They’re optimistic cause they think Texas will get a “better” option

5 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Not a great trajectory from a program standpoint: Kentucky to Texas to Cal to Long Beach State.

Few things compare to a Long Beach State degree…

…which is why he should have stayed at Cal whether they were going to kick him off the team or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Not a great trajectory from a program standpoint: Kentucky to Texas to Cal to Long Beach State.

Something is definely askew in that career path.  <rim shot>

Edited by cochamps
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is depth the new term for bread? 

Ya I know Vandy sucked ass and he was a true freshman but he was flat out bad (was given a little more leeway at the end of the season based on the game log). He'll be behind all the wings on the depth chart presumably so it's not "awful" given that it can be hard finding guys to fill out your last scholly which he's functionally doing. I would have preferred getting 2 bigs with our last 2 roster spots since Onyema is fighting Max Merrill for the title of jaggiest jag in our sports programs and I'd prefer he never touch the court ever again but whatever. 

It sounds like we may only have room for one more player. What bigs are realistic targets at this point. We HAVE to get another center. If Shedrick goes down (who seems prone to injury), we are starting Onyema.  Ideally we would get someone good enough to send Shedrick to the 2nd unit.  

9 hours ago, Teryor said:

Wouldn’t be my preference either, but he did start over half the games for a SD State team that was better than Texas last year.

Edited by HookEm

On 4/30/2024 at 6:47 AM, HookEm said:

Wouldn’t be my preference either, but he did start over half the games for a SD State team that was better than Texas last year.

SDSU wasn't any better than Texas last season. I'm confident we could have beat UAB and Yale and also lost to UCONN by 30 points.

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

SDSU wasn't any better than Texas last season. I'm confident we could have beat UAB and Yale and also lost to UCONN by 30 points.

SDSU finished #22 in KenPom, we finished #25. The were a 5 seed and we were a 7.  No sense in arguing though it as we were both about the same level.  It does go to show how much easier the path to the Sweet 16 is from a 5 seed vs. a 7 seed.

Regardless, I don't want Saunders. Surely we can do better than that.  Dude averaged only 3 TRB and 0.2 blocks in 18 minutes a game during conference.  Whoof. 

TrillyDonovan saying Texas is in it for Utah C Keba Keita. Also Wisconsin, ASU, BYU, and Miss St.

IMG_8021.thumb.jpeg.aad22274cbcdafb4922d8499b8acef1b.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/5105647/keba-keita

Wonder how they will navigate this one with Toppin going through the combine. Deadline for NCAA players to return is May 29th.

Edited by CashMcCoy
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

TrillyDonovan saying Texas is in it for Utah C Keba Keita. Also Wisconsin, ASU, BYU, and Miss St.

Wonder how they will navigate this one with Toppin going through the combine. Deadline for NCAA players to return is May 29th.

This guy would be an amazing fit on our current roster. Watched him a lot last year and was impressed. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Figure out a way to take both. That would be huge for Texas.

58 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

This guy would be an amazing fit on our current roster. Watched him a lot last year and was impressed. 

100% agree.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

You're able to commit to a school while still going through the draft process, believe Marcus Carr did that with us. Don't think I've seen a mock/big board with Toppin on it so obviously fine taking the commitment since he's the better player with more potential. It just gets tricky keeping Keita warm if he's ready to commit.

7 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Figure out a way to take both. That would be huge for Texas.

100% agree.

1 scholly available I believe

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

You're able to commit to a school while still going through the draft process, believe Marcus Carr did that with us. Don't think I've seen a mock/big board with Toppin on it so obviously fine taking the commitment since he's the better player with more potential. It just gets tricky keeping Keita warm if he's ready to commit.

1 scholly available I believe

Which is dumb. Texas needs competent bigs. Shouldn't have taken Presley. Onyema is also a wasted 'ship. Pryor might be, as well. Does Perryman get a scholarship again? Texas has 13 total.

Returning (4 or 5): Weaver, Shedrick, Perryman?, Onyema, Pryor

HS (2): Johnson, Codie

Transfer (5): Presley, Pope, Larry, Kent, Mark

Total: 11 or 12 of 13.

Keita and Toppin should be made priorities. I don't care what moves they have to make.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

He was at one point - maybe two seasons ago? I don't remember if it was his RS Freshman year or his Freshman year. If he's not now, Texas has two available.

Isn't that often a year to year thing? Like if there's an extra 'ship, it goes to a walk-on.  Until they need it the next year? 

7 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Can’t tell if y’all are just doing the Perryman bit from last summer or not, but here is this to ease any concerns

7 minutes ago, cafe society said:

If we could close with these two post players I would be very excited for next season despite my lack of confidence in RT.

I had genuinely forgotten that happened. That settles it then. Let's get both.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/6/2024 at 1:25 PM, CashMcCoy said:

It's BYU. Damn.

• Rage+1 1