Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, ztejas said:
Dude do you know who Adrian Beltre was? 
Your quip about him barely spending time here made me question my own memory. 
I remember listening to that 3000th hit on the radio. That was very cool. He was a bright spot between pennants. 

Yep I was at that 3000th hit game. Awesome experience in person. That was the beginning of our decline after having good teams for the first half of the decade. Until now.

That's an awesome sports memory.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I remember listening to that 3000th hit on the radio. That was very cool. He was a bright spot between pennants. 

Check the edit, sorry for the brain fart, and while you were driving I hope you were laying on the horn and fist pumping out of the window with fellow drivers.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Locked in. 

20231026_150647.thumb.jpg.7dd76ac59ca96a6b8ec50b617a423f18.jpg

Got this drifit shirt too. Not sure it was worth $45 but I was an easy mark. 

I just checked and it looks like all the hates (at least on MLB and fanatics) have that standard world series logo. I wonder when they started doing that, because this is the official 2023 WS logo:

image.png.439043cc23e5cafb9a132c58978d4eeb.png

and in the past WS the Rangers have been in, the commemorative hats had the unique logo of that year:

image.png.3a3196322ba937ce675367c9a50830e5.png

Edited by BeardIP

On 10/25/2023 at 8:51 PM, gofuckyourself said:

That is an ugly ass shirt.

Also a bootleg, trademark, copyright rip off, etc. Possibly a Geneva Convention violation as well.

0.0% chance the Rangers organization had anything to do with it. Duran? Lol.

Yeah, that shirt is terrible. Don’t buy that shit.

Got my gear and I'm ready to watch the Rangers fuck up some "Diamondbacks."

That shitstain franchise over there thinks they can steal the Texas diamondback name and get away with it??? AND win it all in their 3rd fucking year of existence using it?? AW HELL NO. Time to curb stomp those bitches.

...okay, I may be struggling to get the "hate" factor up for them. After the Astros series it feels too damn complimentary and nice and "we both sucked a lot recently" around this one.

... Ah, but a Gurriel plays for them, yeah? Ah-ha!

FUCK that related-to-a-former-Astros-player piece of shit.

Ok, locked in now.

And to be fully transparent, I've already posted it but I plan to use this gif after every great Rangers play this series. I may also comment like "That was a Van Damme good play" Or "Van Damme great game."

Today, we are all Van Damme.

Knock Out Work GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

If we're exhibiting Things In Arizona That Suck, this has to be #1.

Also how is it possible there isn't an Arizona professional sports team, or semi-pro team in my brief research, named the Arizona Scorpions?

Centruroides_sculpturatus_191624836.jpg.c7f8803144ea5207b63dd134d0f15870.jpg

Supposedly that was the first choice of the mascot name but Diamondbacks made more sense as it's more of a baseball centric name (diamond)

Edited by mdmost

To pass the days I have been trying to think of who I wish was on this team if we were to win it all. Out of the active players I would take Gallo cause he was the one of the first prospects I followed day in and out from draft to debut. He has taken some shit and deservedly so but he has never shied away form being a homer or bust player. Also think he would still add value to this lineup in the Garver/Grossman role. Yu Darvish would be my 2nd choice. 

For retired players my choice would be Michael Young. He was here before the WS runs and made watching bad Rangers baseball fun for 10 year old me. Beltre is a close 2nd but he is gonna get a plaque in Cooperstown with a Rangers T so that is a solid consolation prize. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

To pass the days I have been trying to think of who I wish was on this team if we were to win it all. Out of the active players I would take Gallo cause he was the one of the first prospects I followed day in and out from draft to debut. He has taken some shit and deservedly so but he has never shied away form being a homer or bust player. Also think he would still add value to this lineup in the Garver/Grossman role. Yu Darvish would be my 2nd choice. 

For retired players my choice would be Michael Young. He was here before the WS runs and made watching bad Rangers baseball fun for 10 year old me. Beltre is a close 2nd but he is gonna get a plaque in Cooperstown with a Rangers T so that is a solid consolation prize. 

Elvis Andrus for me. I know, I know, die a hero or live long enough to be a villain and he sort of wore out his welcome as he wasn't well liked at the end due to his contract and play (and attitude) at the end, but he was our wunderkind.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

Retired is hard to pick but all the favorites from when I started following in the early 90s

Sierra

Franco - who for all we know may still count in the active player category

Nolan

Gonzalez

Rodriguez - yeah he won one but it should have been with the Rangers

Current player is easy: Cruz, since I don't think he's officially retired yet.

2 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Retired is hard to pick but all the favorites from when I started following in the early 90s

Sierra

Franco - who for all we know may still count in the active player category

Nolan

Gonzalez

Rodriguez - yeah he won one but it should have been with the Rangers

Current player is easy: Cruz, since I don't think he's officially retired yet.

Waiting for someone to pick Rusty Greer...

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yep I was at that 3000th hit game. Awesome experience in person. That was the beginning of our decline after having good teams for the first half of the decade. Until now.

That game was the day after my bachelor party. About 10 the next morning, I was literally laying on the floor in the bathroom with gatorade, which was where my "friends" left me the night before. My now wife call:

her "Did you see."

me:" Honey, I don't even remember where I was last night."

her " He didn't get it, take a shower, get dressed. I got tickets."

I married wisely.

(Also, it was like 120 degrees outside and I was super hung over. Not ideal)

I really hope we haven't been using this down time off to sniff our own farts. I think Bochy will have the team ready to come out and play today. If we take Game 1 against Gallen, I think it's smooth sailing.

Of course it all depends on the offense. A prolonged time off might have been a cooler for this offense that was heating/heated up and it might take a few at bats for these guys to get warm again. I hope not, but with streaky hitting teams that get hot on a tear, time off usually isn't great.

• Like 1

looking at choo, it looks like he had to do a one-year get-right contract like beltre did with boston before his big free agency contract.  pretty surprising, his numbers were still good at cleveland.  ended up being the right bet, of course, with all the money he got from us, but still surprising he wasn't able to turn his CLE days into a bigger payday. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/choosh01.shtml