Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

Just now, ztejas said:

Carter double got it to 6-2. Then Adolis hit the dribbler into left that got it to 8-2. 

Yes, that's right. I certainly was feeling plenty good at 6-2 and then was downright euphoric at 8-2. Adolis getting the best of Abreu was the chef's kiss.

Props to Scherzer for not completely melting down because it got dicey for him. Would have been a gut punch to score 3 in the 1st and Houston immediately matches. The DP to end the inning was huge!. And props to Bochy for going to get him when he did. He saw enough. Didn't leave him out there too long. 

Going back to the end of September to where they are today, has to be one of the best journeys I have seen given the circumstances. They went from almost a sure division winner to getting dangerously close to missing the playoffs entirely. Cherry on top was eliminating Houston in front of their own fans in the fashion they did. Left no doubt. Reminded me of game 7 of the 1st round series of Mavs/Rockets in 2005. Built up to be this high drama game and it was over pretty quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Think how hot Zeke was for awhile in the first half, now he will be left off all 4 postseason rosters. 

And this shit made me laugh. 

These are the Chumbawumba Rangers — throughout the season, they’ve been knocked down, but they get up again. You’re never going to keep them down. 

That song will fuck with your head more than Creed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Think how hot Zeke was for awhile in the first half, now he will be left off all 4 postseason rosters. 

Man - hadn't even thought about this in awhile. Just a combination of defense and other guys seeing the ball better I guess?

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Props to Scherzer for not completely melting down because it got dicey for him. Would have been a gut punch to score 3 in the 1st and Houston immediately matches. The DP to end the inning was huge!. And props to Bochy for going to get him when he did. He saw enough. Didn't leave him out there too long. 

Going back to the end of September to where they are today, has to be one of the best journeys I have seen given the circumstances. They went from almost a sure division winner to getting dangerously close to missing the playoffs entirely. Cherry on top was eliminating Houston in front of their own fans in the fashion they did. Left no doubt. Reminded me of game 7 of the 1st round series of Mavs/Rockets in 2005. Built up to be this high drama game and it was over pretty quickly. 

Helps that Bochy knew it was an all-hands-on-deck game and he had Montgomery to use for a few Innings. That made the decision a whole lot easier.

Reminded me of that Spurs-Mavs Game 7 in 2014 when the Spurs blitzkrieged Dallas to win the final game of that first-round series en route to the last championship. Pretty sure we led by 40 at one point in that game.

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Evan Carter pushed Duran off the playoff roster. I feel bad for him -- really like that dude. I expect to see him shopped this offseason.

A lot of Adolis talk and rightfully so, but the moment I knew they were winning was the Carter 2 RBI double ... ok, was 90% sure they were winning.

I didn’t say it last night but I wasn’t comfortable until the 27th out because of these two games. Both teams capable of yuge innings.

8fd58a858be691535e4f5c4653bf47b5.png
50e543e1b12526ce76ba554b2076ebfb.png

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'd roll with Monty in Game 1 and then come back with Eovaldi in Game 2 and Max for Game 3. After that, Heaney or Dunning or even Perez depending on who the opponent is for Game 4. Then run Monty-Eovaldi-Max+All Hands for a possible Game 7.

You could see Eovaldi and Monty in 1&2 and then run them out on 3 days rest for Games 4&5 with both being able to go in a Game 7.  

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Perez has as much chance of starting as one of us in this thread. 

You're probably right. There really aren't a whole lot of "good" options for the Rangers for Game 4. Start based on your gut (guess it's Dunning or Heaney depending on whether it's Philly or Arizona) and have a quick hook for whoever you start. You're going to have to pitch guys you don't really want to at points in this series.

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You could see Eovaldi and Monty in 1&2 and then run them out on 3 days rest for Games 4&5 with both being able to go in a Game 7.  

3-days rest is usually a recipe for disaster these days. I'd prefer to stick to Monty 1-5 and Eovaldi 2-6 (or vice versa) and then fill in the gaps from there.

So, let's say no games go into extra innings. You'll need 53-54 innings in a 6-game series, 62-63 in a 7-gamer. Ideally, you get Montgomery to give you 12-13 innings, Eovaldi 12-14 and Scherzer 9-10 through the first six games. That's 36 of 53/54 in a 6-game series. Sborz-Chapman-Leclerc hopes to gobble up three innings per close game/win so that's 12 more, giving you 48. You've got lefties Heaney, Bradford, Perez and Smith and righties Dunning, Stratton, and Gray to pick off innings here and there. (I guess Burke was bumped by Scherzer's return? Is that right?)

I don't know the answers here. I'm just glad we have Bochy and Maddux to make those calls.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Who has ate here in the last decade? Recently changed ownership, may have to make a visit just on principle. 

We used to go there a lot but I'm not sure i've been more than once in the last 10 years. That was always our post-softball gathering spot when I played with my old S-T buddies in Arlington. The last time I was there was probably for a memorial when the long-time FWST sports editor passed away but that's been at least five years. They finally changed out the staph-infested carpet on the raised boxing ring seating area -- that was a plus!

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You're probably right. There really aren't a whole lot of "good" options for the Rangers for Game 4. Start based on your gut (guess it's Dunning or Heaney depending on whether it's Philly or Arizona) and have a quick hook for whoever you start. You're going to have to pitch guys you don't really want to at points in this series.

3-days rest is usually a recipe for disaster these days. I'd prefer to stick to Monty 1-5 and Eovaldi 2-6 (or vice versa) and then fill in the gaps from there.

So, let's say no games go into extra innings. You'll need 53-54 innings in a 6-game series, 62-63 in a 7-gamer. Ideally, you get Montgomery to give you 12-13 innings, Eovaldi 12-14 and Scherzer 9-10 through the first six games. That's 36 of 53/54 in a 6-game series. Sborz-Chapman-Leclerc hopes to gobble up three innings per close game/win so that's 12 more, giving you 48. You've got lefties Heaney, Bradford, Perez and Smith and righties Dunning, Stratton, and Gray to pick off innings here and there. (I guess Burke was bumped by Scherzer's return? Is that right?)

I don't know the answers here. I'm just glad we have Bochy and Maddux to make those calls.

Ideally you pitch Monty game 1, Eovaldi game 2, Scherzer game 3, and then have Gray/Heaney/Dunning finish the sweep in game 4.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:43 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

As much as I want to shit on y'all, home team has lost every game. Quit being chicken little. Just don't chant we want Houston. Yall ain't going down without a fight.

Damn this dude was spot on.

Great series.

Go give whatever douche team you play in the WS hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Well... if he can't go, definitely not the worst guy to lose. 

Yeah, probably not the "worst" guy we could lose but he's had a hell of a year with 19 homers in 344 plate appearances in the regular season. He's got two dingers and 11 RBI in nine playoff games and was HUGE in Game 6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The idea of having to play in Philly with their dipshit fans doing dipshit Philly fan things does not appeal to me.

The idea of having to see noted human shitstain Tommy Pham's bitchass for the next week also does not appeal to me.

We're pretty used to white trash loudmouth fanbases at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Holy fuck it just hit me that Will Smith is going for his third straight ring. That’s a charmed life.

It would be a huge boost if he could actually start pitching like a decent reliever again and stop sucking. It can happen. Hopefully, he's had a chance to reset and get his shit together.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So who are y’all pulling for? Arizona or Philly? I have to think Harper is winning a title at some point — I’d rather it not be this year so that leads me to Arizona, I think. I don’t feel strongly about it, though.

C) It don't make a shit.

Texas is better than both. They play with the focus and determination they just showed, it's theirs to lose.

That said, I'd rather see Arizona. Fuck Philadelphia in general.

9 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

I can’t think of one.
Dome World Series off my dome

Minny - St Louis
Blue jays - Braves
Blue jays - Philly
Minny - Braves
Sneks- yanks
Stros- white Sox
Stros - La
Stros - wash
Stros - Philly

Philly-Tampa

and the answer to the question is yes.   

the 2020 WS between LAD and Tampa, all games played at Globe Life Field.