Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

I have friends who are going to the parade and got there at like 7am to post up. Brought coolers of beer and water and snacks. I will gladly just watch on tv. Already so much construction in Arlington area, then add this many people coming. Seems like a logistic nightmare. No thanks. Don't need to see it in person but will be a cool experience for anyone who does. My dad is going. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My first game was in the old Arlington Stadium in like 91. I went with my little league team after our season.  We saw them play the Tigers. Before the game we were in our seats watching warmups and Sparky Anderson is in the outfield talking to some players and coaches.  He's got a bucket of balls. 

Before he heads to the dugout a group of us get his attention and he comes over to talk and sign a few autographs.  He takes a handful of balls signs them and then tosses them up to all the people around us. There's a small girl in the group of fans and he tried to make sure she got a ball. First one he tosses up, she drops and it falls between the bleachers and the outfield wall. He's got one ball left and he tells everyone around to let her catch it everyone says ok. I'm standing next to her and I know that as soon as that ball is thrown I'm gonna make a play on it.  I do and as I have it in my hands and older guy had the same idea as me and he knocks it out of my hand and it falls. 

Sparky Anderson loses his ever loving shit over this and proceeds to curse out a 12 year old me like I ran over his dog.  Nobody has ever spoken to me like that before or really since. The MFd me up one side and down the other.  I'm 12. I dont know how long it lasted but 30seconds or so. I looked over and my best friend looked like I was heading to the executioner. I sat there in a daze the rest of the game. Don't know who won.

Go Rangers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

My first game was in the old Arlington Stadium in like 91. I went with my little league team after our season.  We saw them play the Tigers. Before the game we were in our seats watching warmups and Sparky Anderson is in the outfield talking to some players and coaches.  He's got a bucket of balls. 

Before he heads to the dugout a group of us get his attention and he comes over to talk and sign a few autographs.  He takes a handful of balls signs them and then tosses them up to all the people around us. There's a small girl in the group of fans and he tried to make sure she got a ball. First one he tosses up, she drops and it falls between the bleachers and the outfield wall. He's got one ball left and he tells everyone around to let her catch it everyone says ok. I'm standing next to her and I know that as soon as that ball is thrown I'm gonna make a play on it.  I do and as I have it in my hands and older guy had the same idea as me and he knocks it out of my hand and it falls. 

Sparky Anderson loses his ever loving shit over this and proceeds to curse out a 12 year old me like I ran over his dog.  Nobody has ever spoken to me like that before or really since. The MFd me up one side and down the other.  I'm 12. I dont know how long it lasted but 30seconds or so. I looked over and my best friend looked like I was heading to the executioner. I sat there in a daze the rest of the game. Don't know who won.

Go Rangers.

TLDR: Sparky was always a ladies man...

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have friends who are going to the parade and got there at like 7am to post up. Brought coolers of beer and water and snacks. I will gladly just watch on tv. Already so much construction in Arlington area, then add this many people coming. Seems like a logistic nightmare. No thanks. Don't need to see it in person but will be a cool experience for anyone who does. My dad is going. 

People were lined up at midnght/1am last night. I can't imagine going out to that at 7am and still getting bad location. I think they expect 250k?

• Like 1

My grandfather worked a ranch in the Texas Panhandle and loved baseball. When he came to visit us in Arlington we always went to Turnpike Stadium to watch the AA DFW Spurs. 

When I was 11 the Texas Rangers moved to town. Instead of watching the Arkansas Travelers, we took Gramps to watch our hometown MLB team play the fucking New York Yankees. That kinda thing sticks with you forever. 

Baking in those bleachers for $3.75. 7PM starts at 95 degrees. Farm and Ranch night. Never missing a bat night, which supplied all our neighborhood baseball bats every summer. All that bad baseball but we loved them all the same. 

After the line drive over Nellie Cruz in 2011 I turned it off and monitored the score on my phone. I figured if Texas somehow won I would go back and watch, but watching the meltdown in real time was too painful. Still never seen the Freese home run and hopefully never will. Just hurts too much. 

And now you can say Texas Rangers World Series Champions. Man how sweet it is. Surely in that great ranch in the sky Gramps has a smile on his face. 

Edited by bullzak
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

This was my first game to attend.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Witt's_perfect_game.  Got the Dallas Times Herald article of it framed in my attic 

5 years old and that's how I got welcomed to the Texas Rangers.  At that old stadium we might as well have been a AAA team accidentally playing in the Majors. 

I made up for it by attending the game in which Nolan beat tf out of Ventura.  But all of these stories are of 1 off games or nostalgia with a dash of heartbreak.  No more. No more shoe shines Billy. We're all growns up

• Hook 'Em 4

People were lined up at midnght/1am last night. I can't imagine going out to that at 7am and still getting bad location. I think they expect 250k?
Yeah sounds like the St Patty parade in Dallas. People line up the night before to get a spot. I think people are underestimating how many people are going and how early they are posting up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, bigcigar said:

Nadel was just on the ticket - worth a listen (SportsDay app for rewind).

Most afternoon segments today were good

I heard that.  He said he could now go back and watch Game 6 of the 2011 Series.  Said he's never seen that play since it happened.

Maybe Eric can do that, but I'll never be able to.  That wound is scarred over pretty good now, but I see no need ever to pick at it.

• Hook 'Em 4

I heard that.  He said he could now go back and watch Game 6 of the 2011 Series.  Said he's never seen that play since it happened.
Maybe Eric can do that, but I'll never be able to.  That wound is scarred over pretty good now, but I see no need ever to pick at it.
I was actually going to post this yesterday. I'm going to back and watch game 6 2011. It's apart of the journey of what made this year so special. It no longer has any heartbreak for me. I'm finally at peace with it. I can now watch it through different eyes. I've seen the end several times over the last decade but it just caused angst and sadness. But this year changes that.

I have it saved on YouTube and will watch the whole entire game in the next month. Probably once college football regular season ends.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I actually watched it the morning before Game 5 for the first time, in anticipation of what came. It was a little awful, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

You bitches better put some respect on my name.

One of the first baseball cards I can remember, got it signed a few weeks later. That piece of genius memorabilia is long lost sadly. Probably sitting in Mark Cubans safe deposit box just collecting value to double his net worth.
Geno-Petralli.thumb.jpg.739aa219b245e87f48d8163c07f8eb9d.jpg

His son’s in the band White Denim.

Meh fuck all that. It’s in the past.

Re watching is like you found out your wife cheated, you’re 12 years past, you’ve just married the perfect woman or man(NTTAWWT), and you go back to watching videos of the ex fucking some other dude because the best thing ever has happened and now it doesn’t hurt.

OUT.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Meh fuck all that. It’s in the past.

Re watching is like you found out your wife cheated, you’re 12 years past, you’ve just married the perfect woman or man(NTTAWWT), and you go back to watching videos of the ex fucking some other dude because the best thing ever has happened and now it doesn’t hurt.

OUT.

Sports isn't that personal for me, though. The above situation I don't view at all like game 6. Sports heartbreak is in no way of real life personal heartbreak. For me at least.

Everyone sharing so I’ll join.

I came in to baseball consciousness probably around second or third grade so like 88 or 89. That’s just when I remember realizing who the Rangers were.

I remember always wanting to play second and base and i immediately fell in love (no homo) with Julio Franco and that batting stance. I’d try over and over to copy it in my coach pitch days but never was “allowed” to. It was always elbow up bullshit. Side note, what in the living fuck were they teaching kinds back then.

Anyway, those late 80s and on teams were my favorite. We would go out to Arlington Stadium with the grandparents at least 20 times a year. We’d stop and get a bucket of chicken from KFC and Pepaw would pack a cooler of Dr Pepper. I thought I was in heaven sitting in those bleachers in right field. It was always right to try and catch a break from the setting sun.

I’ve always been a huge stadium nerd. I’m intrigued by the paces these teams play. Stadiums and arenas. When I found out we were getting a new stadium I was so excited. That second summer of construction we had season passes to six flags and I would just ride the Parachutes over and over just to see the Temple going up. My first game there i was 13 I think and I literally cried at how beautiful it was. I can’t count how many games we went to there. I got to play on that field as part of the Showcase out of high school and it didn’t feel like my feet were touching the ground. When I was pitching it was the most effortless 85 I had ever thrown. Got some time at short as well and I was absolutely in heaven.

I don’t even know where I’m truly going with this except HOLY SHIT WE’RE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Edit: I know 85 ain’t shit but to me it was and I was hitting it lol.

With the proper instruction and guidance, that 85 probably turns into 95.

2 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

So fucking stupid. Few blocks from the parade.

b0b841fd9897e1178b9c856d79fac6e5.png

Related to people attending the parade or just a coincidence? That area of Arlington is pretty sketchy already from my experience when attending UTA. Can't imagine police having to respond to a shooting call with all that traffic.