2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

All of our players are smooth and fast now. In prior seasons, some were fast but not smooth, and vice versa. That has been corrected. 

Murphy threw a pass the other day that sailed high, and no one could find it for a long time, until someone spotted it on top of the Erwin Center. "here it is", said a WR. The coaches are said to be excited about his arm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

Last years team was a 10 win minimum team talent wise, maybe even 11. Shithead Steve decided that J Brooks should ride the pine because he's a braindead fucking moron.

You will never convince me that with Sarklostagain at the helm that this team will win anything important, because to do that you have to outcoach someone. 

Stop being a pussy. DMO, Bijan and RoJo play in that game we win by 10. We were relegated to essentially a 4th string scat back on offense. If Quinn and the passing attack wasn't so good we would have been boat raced. The team last year was dramatically improved from the year before but still inconsistent. This was a 9 win talent team last year. That doesn't mean they were good. It could have been a 10 or 11 win team. Low end was 7. 

Good thing DMO, Bijan and RoJo are back next season then, right?

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We should have a much improved offesnive line due to experience as well as a much improved QB play so hopefully we don't get to a point where we have to rely on heroics of a RB like Bijan. That is how you know your program is truly improving.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, immamac said:

Last years team was a 10 win minimum team talent wise, maybe even 11. Shithead Steve decided that J Brooks should ride the pine because he's a braindead fucking moron.

You will never convince me that with Sarklostagain at the helm that this team will win anything important, because to do that you have to outcoach someone. 

Did Brooks not have a sports hernia? He rode the pine because he was injured.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

JFC dude, broaden your perspective. Ton of returning offensive linemen and all the starters. A healthy Brooks hopefully and the Top HS RB in the country on the roster. A year older Blue and Robinson. RB room will be fine. Improved WR room. TE room a year older. QB should drastically improve. DMO was overrated IMO but a solid player. The backups last year were terrible and or unproven. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Personally, I appreciate that this board is run by temperamental, miserable fans of the program who are willing to embrace an unrelentingly bleak outlook. It's better than the alternative, where you pay a chin-pubed mouthpiece to blow smoke up your ass and ban anyone who disagrees with the party line. 

Agreed, I think it's funny, like overboard in the other direction.

Team notes from Thursday's practice (IT)

Notes from Thursday’s practice

On Thursday, Texas skill players worked a lot of 1-on-1 passing situations. On offense, AD Mitchell and Ja’Tavion Sanders stood out. Quinn Ewers looked really comfortable and one person who saw Arch Manning for the first time stated he’s bigger than expected. He also said regarding Ewers and Manning, “the ball just comes out different with those two.”

The same source mentioned Ryan Watts‘ size. The source has seen Watts through the years and mentioned, “He just gets bigger and bigger, almost looks like a linebacker.” We don’t know if that’s a good thing for an already big corner but it’s further proof the players are hitting the iron. 

Anthony Hill stood out. One source saw less hesitation and stated Hill is growing from reacting to striking. Often freshmen are usually a second or two slower because their head is swimming. Hill gets better each day. Not a bad sign considering they’re only five practices in.

The coaches began to ramp up the ‘team’ portion of practice on Thursday. This includes scrimmaging, often in situational work like red zone, short yardage, or two minute. Ramping up is likely in anticipation of scrimmage on Saturday in front of a sideline filled with high-end recruits. 

New transfer Gavin Holmes had an interception, we believe off Ewers. Sanders caught a touchdown from Ewers. “Savion Red had a nice run and adds something to the back field. Good burst through the line of scrimmage.”

We asked about Cameron Williams. The sophomore offensive lineman has only worked at tackle as far as we know. If he’s played guard our sources haven’t noticed. He has struggled a bit against the more athletic Edges, but that could be a positive sign of Edge improvement. His run blocking has been pretty good so guard isn’t totally out of the question, we just have no evidence of him playing there.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Personally, I appreciate that this board is run by temperamental, miserable fans of the program who are willing to embrace an unrelentingly bleak outlook. It's better than the alternative, where you pay a chin-pubed mouthpiece to blow smoke up your ass and ban anyone who disagrees with the party line. 

shut-up-bitch-ice-cube.gif.33128e49baa47bf24739f601e624194c.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I feel confident in saying he’s never had a roster like this. At some point, you amass enough talent (it’s not that easy to do obviously) that there are only 1-2 teams that could legitimately beat you then there there 1-2 who are prime for upsetting you. Just winning half of those gets you to 10. It’s probably only Bama talent wise this year then 2 conference opponents that have a shot at upsetting us. Probably OU. I don’t even know who else. ISU maybe.

Mack couldn’t win a conference championship until he did. Unfortunately his shortcomings meant those were too few over the years. Sark can win 10 and likely will. It just needs to happen consistently. In Sarks favor, I think he’s strategically seeking higher end talent than Mack particularly NFL type Olinemen.

This is exactly correct. It's why Mack always won 9 games (and really 10 plus once he got it rolling) b/c with  the talent differential we are about to have on the rest of our schedule there is only 3 loseable games on there barring disaster.  If you lose all of them you are an incompetent ninny that needs to be fired. If you don't lose all of them then that's 10 or 11 wins and in the CCG.  

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I concede that you know much more about this game than I ever will, but with all respect....We did not have Bijan...or Rojo...or agent O and several others along the D line. I agree that we could have won the Washington game, but I also know we did  not get to "Dance with the ones that brung us".  As for Brooks.....he had hernia issues. We were going with our 4th string RB....

But yeah, if you looked at our OL and QB and saw anything more than 7-8 wins LAST season; or, if you're looking at it now and see and FEWER, you're being a dipshit.
All that said, Sark remains the issue. BUT, he has largely surrounded himself with good to great coaches (jury's still out on PK) and the right kind of talent. That's how Mack won here.

We won 8. Another game (a loss) we had a 2-TD lead late into the 3Q. Up 7 halfway thru the 4th. Another loss, we were up double digits late into 3Q, up 7 into the 4th. That doesn’t include the close Bama game. 10 wins was there for the taking.

I don’t give a shit about how inexperienced your QB is 19-49 should not happen. I’m not saying that’s all the QB either.

Only Bama had more talent than us. OU, BU, and OSU lost a lot of talent (and many of their playmakers) from the prior year when largely our same guys led them each all the way into the 4th. You could throw ISU into that heap of losing a lot of talent too. When you lose that kind of talent, you most likely lose a shit ton of experience too. TCU could be considered more talented, but it was their experience that made the difference. You sure as hell wouldn’t have predicted their success coming off the prior year.

It’s not always about who you have but also, and sometimes more importantly, it’s about who your opponents have.
  • Hook 'Em 2

One of the things that Sark said in his presser recently was extrapolating from the importance of players continuing to improve. He stated that coaches including himself had to continue to improve. I am willing to grant sobering up as one improvement. I am curious what if anything he is doing this offseason to improve himself as a game-day coach. There is some truth to dividing opponents into those who can beat us, those that can upset us, and the "safe" games, but that scheme depends not only on not losing key talent but also on a solid team culture. Losers lose games that winners never would. I am not sure whether we are winners. I hope that we are.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Some of you people don't understand how the offseason Kool-Aid drinking process is supposed to shake out. You're supposed to drink to your fill, and then realize the error of your ways sometime in mid September. What you're not supposed to do, is refuse to acknowledge you've been had once again, and loudly proclaim that the team really was one of the best in the country all along.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We won 8. Another game (a loss) we had a 2-TD lead late into the 3Q. Up 7 halfway thru the 4th. Another loss, we were up double digits late into 3Q, up 7 into the 4th. That doesn’t include the close Bama game. 10 wins was there for the taking.

Yes. We won 8. We won one more game than a reasonable person should've expected given our talent level at critical positions, experience, and depth.

I don’t give a shit about how inexperienced your QB is

Then your opinion is worthless and can basically be ignored. You don't know enough about the sport to speak about it.

game of thrones you know nothing GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I'm not sure there's a single coach in CFB history that would be in the "winners" category using your definition,

I was talking more about a team culture of never lying down, always expecting to win, that generally protects from losing winnable games when there is adversity. One example that comes to mind is Bama. Granted they are talented, but they haven't lost to a team with a losing record in I don't know how long. I think aggy at Kyle in '21 is the only unranked loss over the last five years. I would like to see Texas develop the kind of culture that helps our players always expect to win. VY was more than a physical freak-- he was a winner, and the team around him were winners.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It’s not always about who you have but also, and sometimes more importantly, it’s about who your opponents have.

OSU, TCU, & Bama all lose a ton. KSU returns a lot but loses their RB which is the end of the world to some people around here - we get them at home though. OU sucked shit last year, I'm sure they'll be better but not sure just how much better they'll be. There's not a whole lot on our schedule that scares me. @Bama, OU, KSU, & @ISU are the only real games that I'm looking at as potential losses this year. I think we're better than all of those teams to different degrees, but those are the ones that I'm not sure about. As always, the key will be staying healthy. Ewers missed 3-3/4 games last year & had an injured finger in another. We went 2-3 in those games. You can't predict injuries & weather, but there's not team on this schedule that I'd trade our starting 22 for. Maybe a piece here or there, but the whole 22 is better than anyone we'll play.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Some of you bean counting accountants, code-writing dorks and risk averse lawyers posting as roster experts here can't project for shit, because forecasting scares you, since they're inherently incorrect in some form from the beginning.

-The idea that this 2023 WR room doesn't factor into both the QB and the OL magically looking markedly better is laughable.

-Some of you dipshits hedging the concept of improvement from players entering into their second season, at complex positions, must squat to pee. Of course guys playing together, with more experience, surrounded by more talent, are going to play better. It is a fucking given. Jesus.

"Oh but the UW game happened, BRO!" No shit? The relevance of non-playoff bowl games associated to program trajectory is debatable, at best. Remember that time we beat the shit out of a more talented UGA team and announced that we were back? Yeah. 

Say it louder for @immamac in the back!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, TexTexTex said:

We are definitely trending in the right direction with the roster, but we've heard the same spring football shit since the Florida Five days.  

And we will hear it every year moving forward. If you like sniffing jocks as the owner of any of these bullshit sites, and you like getting paid to sniff jocks, you print the shit that your readers want to hear. No different than chin pubes. They are full of shit when it comes to "objective takes" on the upcoming season. 

23 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

One of the things that Sark said in his presser recently was extrapolating from the importance of players continuing to improve. He stated that coaches including himself had to continue to improve. I am willing to grant sobering up as one improvement. I am curious what if anything he is doing this offseason to improve himself as a game-day coach. There is some truth to dividing opponents into those who can beat us, those that can upset us, and the "safe" games, but that scheme depends not only on not losing key talent but also on a solid team culture. Losers lose games that winners never would. I am not sure whether we are winners. I hope that we are.

image.thumb.png.61b3935ae384f799e399060974c4699a.png

Kansas 2021. The hope is that Sark can eventually overwhelm our opponents with superior talent, but he sure as fuck failed that test against a team that had lost its previous two games 90-13 and whose only win up to that point was a 3 pt drubbing of an FCS team. That was all I had to see to confirm we hired a clown. A competent coach simply doesn't lose that game. A pants shitter cant change his stripes, he just buys a dark suit.

CT Thorn on Twitter: "Steve Sarkisian took (2) L's today:  https://t.co/x53atzrOXo" / Twitter

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Some of you people don't understand how the offseason Kool-Aid drinking process is supposed to shake out. You're supposed to drink to your fill, and then realize the error of your ways sometime in mid September. What you're not supposed to do, is refuse to acknowledge you've been had once again, and loudly proclaim that the team really was one of the best in the country all along.

All the number dorks had Texas as a top 10 team. Connelley had the Tech game as like 98% Texas win. In a lot of ways Texas really was among the best teams in the country if we are talking about something like true talent level.  
Didn't get many breaks.  Didn't do a good job coaching in a couple games. Had a few injuries that really were a problem on offense and had a lot of youth.  The defense was really good and it was much older and didn't have any major injuries. Who knew.  We actually saw some evidence of the coaches improving later in the year. Sark got really stubborn with the run in Kansas and Baylor in a good way when it was working and they gave Quinn an offense he was better off running against Washington.  
But yeah- you are what your record says and the numbers can say that Tech was a 2% loss b/c the numbers don't understand that we were playing large cushion and watching them pitch and catch easily on 3rd and 4th down b/c we didn't understand what they were doing to us during the game.  The numbers didn't understand we were going to keep throwing deep routes to a guy with a broken thumb and the ball awareness of a non athlete into a fierce wind when we have the Doak Walker winner at RB.  Those were games that we absolutely lost for ourselves thru stupidity. But Vegas had us as a favorite in every game other than Bama and the computers loved us b/c in a lot of ways it was a very good team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And we will hear it every year moving forward. If you like sniffing jocks as the owner of any of these bullshit sites, and you like getting paid to sniff jocks, you print the shit that your readers want to hear. No different than chin pubes. They are full of shit when it comes to "objective takes" on the upcoming season. 

image.thumb.png.61b3935ae384f799e399060974c4699a.png

Kansas 2021. The hope is that Sark can eventually overwhelm our opponents with superior talent, but he sure as fuck failed that test against a team that had lost its previous two games 90-13 and whose only win up to that point was a 3 pt drubbing of an FCS team. That was all I had to see to confirm we hired a clown. A competent coach simply doesn't lose that game. A pants shitter cant change his stripes, he just buys a dark suit.

CT Thorn on Twitter: "Steve Sarkisian took (2) L's today:  https://t.co/x53atzrOXo" / Twitter

Counterpoint: Any team that relies upon Casey Thompson to QB them isn't actually talented.  It was a cripple fight. The biggest cripple was our defensive coordinator. Our offense also failed to cover itself in glory.  Holy shit I have no idea why we love to do this to our selves and dig up the worst memories of something we allegedly like.  

On 3/23/2023 at 1:03 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

body types and physique are important. NFL measurables isn't a term for no reason. 

For instance, our OL recruits are the easiest example of this. Look at the body types, frames, and size of the guys Flood recruits vs the guys we've landed the previous 10-12 years. Also look at our draft for those positions.

I've been bitching about OL for ever ever....

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Counterpoint: Any team that relies upon Casey Thompson to QB them isn't actually talented.  It was a cripple fight. The biggest cripple was our defensive coordinator. Our offense also failed to cover itself in glory.  Holy shit I have no idea why we love to do this to our selves and dig up the worst memories of something we allegedly like.  

I'm not particularly fond of Sark, just like you weren't particularly fond of Shaka. Its a message board, we cheer/bitch about our coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm not particularly fond of Sark, just like you weren't particularly fond of Shaka. Its a message board, we cheer/bitch about our coaches. 

OH it wasn't a shot. I meant Texas football in general. It wasn't aimed at you- we do this all the time on all sorts of threads bringing up worst moments around. It's funny.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic