Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Let’s hope the NBA allows guys to go straight from high school starting next year.

Nope, new CBA was signed with the one and done still in place. NBAPA doesn't give two shits avout the plight of HS kids. NBA teams are happy to not have to worry about drafting these kids to see them bust 3 years later.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

•reilly leaves

•donewald leaves

•brumbaugh leaves for gtown

•aj johnson decommits to go play in australia 

•dillon mitchell declared for the draft with no intentions of returning

•arterio morris announces he's transferring

that was the news dude. that's what's been going on with this program. people who love and support Texas Hoops and want Texas Hoops to do well having unhappy reactions to this news is totally and completely 100% natural. and yet there's this gang of you who want incessantly to talk shit to us over this, and refer to us as "the miserables".

for a month yall have talked shit, hitting your crescendo last night when, at the dawn of the first good news to hit the program since the season ended, Y'ALL once again decided to run your mouths and talk a bunch of shit and start fights with people. again, this was y'all's immediate reaction to good news! and we are the miserable ones? how do you figure?

and then today, the pièce de résistance- ron holland decommits, and all of a sudden the "good fans" are like, "ok well now it's ok to be upset." LOL. get fucked, all of you. you guys start ALL of the shit and then you whine about the shit being started. remind me, who's miserable again? 

I don’t understand this, people come to their realization at different times. I haven’t come to any new realization myself I’m just an observer. I can’t take Texas athletics ruling my life much anymore, but hey RT coached a helluva season and former players, current players (it seemed), and the entirety of the media demanded he be hired. Ok whatever, now some bad news, then more, then more, then good news, then good news, then bad news. Errybody has their threshold. Seems like many have now crossed it, that gives me the sads. Maybe some portal players can dampen the losses, dunno. I hope so.  Not sure I see as much shit talking here as you do, some discussion sure, some assholery always. Anyway, hook em. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Updated:

• Returning players:  Brock Cunningham, Alex Anamekwe, Dylan Disu (Apr 23)
  • Incoming Transfers:  Kaden Shedrick (Apr 23), Max Abmas (Apr 28)
  • Incoming freshmen:  None
  • Potential commits:  Chendall Weaver (G, UTA), Tyrin Lawrence (G, Vanderbilt),  Ze'Rik Onyema (F, UTEP)
  • Outgoing Transfers:  Arterio Morris, Rowan Brumbaugh
  • NBA Early Entries: *Dillon Mitchell (potential top-25 pick), *Tyrese Hunter (probably back)
  • Decommits:  Ron Holland (#5 National), AJ Johnson (#20 National)

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So we currently have five scholarship players?  Is that right?

I believe so.

My guess is we will add Weaver in the coming days. If I had to bet my life on it, I would say Tyrese Hunter will be back.  I would say Dillon Mitchell is 50/50. Maybe higher now that Ron Holland is gone. 

The story isn't written on this offseason by a LONG shot.  There will still be new players to hit the portal we haven't even heard about yet. We now have starter minutes to offer at SG / SF and can go big game hunting in the portal in a way we couldn't 24 hours ago. 

My theme all along has simply been to be patient.  Dividing the fanbase up into sunshine pumpers and haters is a beating.

It is possible to be disappointed while also cautiously hopeful at the same time. Portal losses and decommits happen.  I'm waaaay more interested in how we respond.  I will join all of you at the city gate with pitchfork in hand if we field a shitty team come November.  

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, troph said:

I don’t understand this, people come to their realization at different times. I haven’t come to any new realization myself I’m just an observer. I can’t take Texas athletics ruling my life much anymore, but hey RT coached a helluva season and former players, current players (it seemed), and the entirety of the media demanded he be hired. Ok whatever, now some bad news, then more, then more, then good news, then good news, then bad news. Errybody has their threshold. Seems like many have now crossed it, that gives me the sads. Maybe some portal players can dampen the losses, dunno. I hope so.  Not sure I see as much shit talking here as you do, some discussion sure, some assholery always. Anyway, hook em. 

the shit talking has been going on for a month now. myself and others like me have been made out to be bad fans who have been needlessly whining over nothing, simply for reacting to bad news in a way that any fan of any team should react when they get bad news.

this, whatever you want to call it- shit talk, admonishment, being-talked-down-to, etc- reached its peak last night when max abmas committed. as has been documented, this long awaited first bit of good news was immediately met with a deluge of holier than thou posts essentially saying, "maybe all of these miserable whiners who've been crying for no reason will finally shut up." 

put yourself in my shoes troph- Texas Basketball, which you love, has not only been getting nothing but bad news for a month straight, but you (and several others) are constantly being told that you're a crappy fan, that you're seeking reasons to be angry, that you simply don't understand that all of this stuff was always going to happen, and that everything is obviously going to be fine. basically being spoken to as if you're a six year old who's having a temper tantrum for no reason, as opposed to literally just being a fan who is reacting appropriately to bad news. and for a month straight at that. you don't understand why that upsets me? 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

IMG_0829.thumb.jpeg.d1e9f98100d24daa7e252408ad7e19d8.jpeg

this is from arterio's IG story. i don't know what "all work" means, but this certainly doesn't read like "no hard feelings, i wish RT and my former UT brothers well",  it reads more like, "man fuck Texas." like, "yeah, get the fuck up outta there ron, im happy for you bro!" ugh.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Shocked that Arterio Morris isn’t hyping up Texas on Instagram nowadays

applauding ron holland for leaving Texas does not fit the narrative behind the "RT is the right hire" talk, aka the narrative that everyone just effusively loved RT and loved Texas so much that the majority of the roster and staff would remain the same. openly cheering a guy on for leaving Texas high and dry like this is a statement. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

applauding ron holland for leaving Texas does not fit the narrative behind the "RT is the right hire" talk, aka the narrative that everyone just effusively loved RT and loved Texas so much that the majority of the roster and staff would remain the same. openly cheering a guy on for leaving Texas high and dry like this is a statement. 

Serious question: Why should we care about the opinion and reaction of this news from a guy who had already left the program and did not want to be here? What would you expect someone in Morris’ situation to say? “Damn bro, wish you would have stayed”?

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Bro, Motown means Morgantown, WV. How fucking STUPID are you to think it means Detroit??!?!? What an absolute MORON you are. I've never seen someone so dumb!

(How I never reacted to anyone thinking Motown = Detroit. Yet how others act like I reacted)

Wow, somehow that's actually worse than Detroit. 

Have we ever had an empty freshman class? How long has Gerry known about this and decided not to share or was he also blindsided by this like all of us?

On a positive note, there is no shortage of transfers on the portal. Surely we can steal few players from the UTEPs of the world!

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_0829.thumb.jpeg.d1e9f98100d24daa7e252408ad7e19d8.jpeg

this is from arterio's IG story. i don't know what "all work" means, but this certainly doesn't read like "no hard feelings, i wish RT and my former UT brothers well",  it reads more like, "man fuck Texas." like, "yeah, get the fuck up outta there ron, im happy for you bro!" ugh.

Wouldn't be surprised if Arterio's underachieving busted ass was in his ear trashing the program. Which is weird for a team that just got to the elite 8. The staff should have aware of what's going on if so and made sure Holland knew just because a guy who wasn't good enough to cut it here picked up his ball and went home crying don't let that cause you to throw away the best opportunity for you. 

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Have we ever had an empty freshman class? How long has Gerry known about this and decided not to share or was he also blindsided by this like all of us?

I might be off, but I thought Holland and Johnson attended the Kansas game and were very pro-Texas, pro-RT at the time?

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

On a positive note, there is no shortage of transfers on the portal. Surely we can steal few players from the UTEPs of the world!

Transfers got us to the elite 8. Top ranked HS recruits have just underachieved as freshman because they're freshmen then bolted because they're whiny entitled bitches. 

I just have doubts Terry can pull the right transfers anywhere near how Beard did. I think the 2 right now is a good start but coming off an elite 8 appearance he needs to build on it. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I might be off, but I thought Holland and Johnson attended the Kansas game and were very pro-Texas, pro-RT at the time?

all season long they were featured on UT's official social media supporting the team and specifically supporting RT. this is shocking news in light of all of that. these two guys entire thing was "we support RT and can't wait to play for him at Texas."

2 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

You keep saying this but your definition of "reacting appropriately" appears to be different than just about everyone else's.

please cite an example of me reacting inappropriately to any of the aforementioned departures from this team. donewald, reilly, aj johnson, arterio morris, dillon mitchell. go ahead. cite one example. 

38 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Transfers got us to the elite 8. Top ranked HS recruits have just underachieved as freshman because they're freshmen then bolted because they're whiny entitled bitches. 

I just have doubts Terry can pull the right transfers anywhere near how Beard did. I think the 2 right now is a good start but coming off an elite 8 appearance he needs to build on it. 

If he pulls Lawrence and weaver it may be ok.  Bad or with the loss of holland. No way to spin it

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

the shit talking has been going on for a month now. myself and others like me have been made out to be bad fans who have been needlessly whining over nothing, simply for reacting to bad news in a way that any fan of any team should react when they get bad news.

this, whatever you want to call it- shit talk, admonishment, being-talked-down-to, etc- reached its peak last night when max abmas committed. as has been documented, this long awaited first bit of good news was immediately met with a deluge of holier than thou posts essentially saying, "maybe all of these miserable whiners who've been crying for no reason will finally shut up." 

put yourself in my shoes troph- Texas Basketball, which you love, has not only been getting nothing but bad news for a month straight, but you (and several others) are constantly being told that you're a crappy fan, that you're seeking reasons to be angry, that you simply don't understand that all of this stuff was always going to happen, and that everything is obviously going to be fine. basically being spoken to as if you're a six year old who's having a temper tantrum for no reason, as opposed to literally just being a fan who is reacting appropriately to bad news. and for a month straight at that. you don't understand why that upsets me? 

Maybe some are baiting you - ignore them - I’m not seeing people call you a bad fan, I actually hear many say you are a dedicated fan, quite knowledgeable. I also think many worried about RT and Texas was backed into a corner and we all know Texas leadership doesn’t have the balls to make hiring decisions to win they are always mixed with motives to look good. Most here know this, most were quite worried, me too.  We were led to believe - mostly by the media and players/former players - that RT was the guy. Doesn’t look like it now, some are later to that party, that doesn’t make them hypocrites, it makes them late to the party. Welcome them, misery loves company, so let’s have a fucking party.

• Hook 'Em 1

97% of sports fans/commentators/permanently online people are living in an alternate reality when it comes to NIL and the portal. 

The Mack Brown sports world of “good kids from good families” and keeping them in the trust tree paid in real estate internships and Sally’s cookies for 5 years is dead and buried. 

college basketball is now not even a year by year product, it’s semester by semester (and day by day in April/May). The best programs are going to go all in on the portal focusing on getting grown ass men that have lifted weights that are fine with playing defense that don’t have 17 different bag men blowing up their phone every day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Dillon Mitchell seems overjoyed about Morris and Holland. 
Something seems strange. 

In Morris’s case maybe he’s celebrating a teammate going to a blue blood or it was sympathy for another five star that didn’t play enough?  He’s a kid so maybe it’s nothing.  He deleted. Ironic that all the players said good things about Rodney and basically gave him the finger when it was nut cutting time

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

In Morris’s case maybe he’s celebrating a teammate going to a blue blood or it was sympathy for another five star that didn’t play enough?  He’s a kid so maybe it’s nothing.  He deleted. Ironic that all the players said good things about Rodney and basically gave him the finger when it was nut cutting time

That’s the odd part someone needs to get to the bottom of and get the real story. Wtf is the deal? 

also y’all cut your nuts? That’s kinda bizarre. 

I think the lack of development of our freshmen is hurting us. Morris and Michelle couldn't say anything when they were here. Now they are free to express their frustration. RT's lackluster track record of running programs doesn't help either.  

50 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I think the lack of development of our freshmen is hurting us. Morris and Michelle couldn't say anything when they were here. Now they are free to express their frustration. RT's lackluster track record of running programs doesn't help either.  

It wasn't a lack of development. When you go from one level to the next, there is an adjustment period, and some adjust faster than others. Mitchell was super athletic and that's how he made it in high school. He comes to college and it's a new game. Morris was stuck behind  Carr, Hunter and Rice were going to get most of the playing time. If he came back, he probably would have seen his minutes dramatically increase.

You develop during the offseason and gain experience during the season.

Every player move, for good or ill, is not a referendum on whether RT is the right coach. Basketball players have options that football players don't, and too many of y'all are applying a football recruiting lens to this. 

As for Morris, not weeping that a kid with attitude/entourage issues and a DV trial coming up in June may not vibe with RT. The Mitchell stuff, likewise, sounds like a kid doing kid stuff - maybe he's liking tweets ironically, who knows. Climb off the fucking ledge. Was it a referendum on Beard that he got Morris over Keyonte George or Anthony Black (I believe he 'chose' to focus on Cason Wallace, who he did not get, yes?). 

12 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Literally nobody worth listening to is saying that. You’re on an abnormally weird crusade right now

giphy.gif

Yeah the post you replied to from Derka was just nonsense.  If folks missed it here it is:

Derka:  "i'm certain that a band of sunshine pumpers with their heads up their own asses will be in here shortly to inform you that your memory is 100% wrong and that everything is going according to plan and that you're just a bad fan for not being happy about what's happening with this program. "

RT has a lot of work ahead to put together this current roster, and no one is currently happy with where the Horns roster currently sits...  

32 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Mitchell cannot shoot the basketball.  Until he can, he’s a 12 minute player. 

Morris is an idiot.  

I’m pretty sure both are more highly rated than every player in the final four.  Not saying that is a good or bad thing. This isn’t a post defending RT. Losing a guy like holland is never good.