Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

42 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Lunardi must think that we can't get to .500 in the Big 12.  because .500 in the Big 12 makes the tourney, right?

oh most definitely. didn’t isu recently get in at 7-11 or something like that? this league is so far out ahead of the pack its dumb. been the best league in college hoops for at least a decade and now we’ve added two of kenpom’s top 4 to the league. .500 in this league should probably be an 8-9 seed at worst.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

@shadow_operative, what is KenPom's current prediction for our record going forward (specifically Big 12)?

up to 20-11 and 9-9. i imagine that would be ~7-8 seed with a conference tourney win or two.

IMG_5317.thumb.jpeg.fa43bbab9efc84d485976803c89532ca.jpeg

that cincinnati away game could be a big one.

Edited by shadow_operative

gonna be interesting to see how this BYU team does in the Big XII.

IMG_5415.thumb.jpeg.621ff3290bf81a4a6b0300e6b3acd5cf.jpeg

they’ve been thumping all of the cupcakes on their schedule. on the one hand their schedule hasn’t been particularly tough, but on the other hand they are destroying weaker opponents as great teams do. adding this BYU team + U of H cranked this league up another notch, which is wild to think about. 

Starting big12 play by bitch-stomping tech would be a nice statement that the team is ramped up for the conference schedule … I liked the big lineup and hunter’s reappearance last game … just need Abmas to be more controlled with ball security and shoot selection on offense and steering his man into a big defender on defense … otherwise reduce his minutes a bit while weaver and Cunningham d-up on the opposing shooting guards

There is no way Texas is loing at Cincinnati. The Big 12 is down this year. KU and UH are the best teams but both teams will be losing 5+ conference games. I also don't think BYU is going to finish in the top half of the league.

Can someone explain how Lunardi has us as one of the Last Four In (11-seed) in his latest Bracketology? I know we don't really have any great wins yet, but our only 2 losses are to Top Ten teams?

Looking at Massey just now and adding up the game by game odds, he has us going 10-8 in conference.  

Looking at our schedule, it looks like a pretty balanced draw.  We have to play Houston, Baylor and OU twice, but also get to play WV twice, and only have to play KU once.

Home and Away:

• #1 Houston
  • #8 Baylor
  • #12 OU
  • #33 Texas Tech
  • #126 West Virginia

Home only

• #34 Iowa State
  • #46 K-State
  • #83 UCF
  • #95 Okie State

Away only

• #3 Kansas
  • #13 BYU
  • #40 TCU
  • #52 Cincinnati

We also start conference with four winnable games in Tech, at Cinci, at WF and UCF.  If we win all of those, then we get Baylor at home which should be a rowdy atmosphere.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/2/2024 at 11:17 PM, rtw21 said:

Can someone explain how Lunardi has us as one of the Last Four In (11-seed) in his latest Bracketology? I know we don't really have any great wins yet, but our only 2 losses are to Top Ten teams?

Because brackets in December/January are all for clicks and internet discussions. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The path to 10 conference wins (which probably means top 6-7 seed) is probably this:

Must sweep (2): WVU

Must split at minimum (2): OU, Tech 

Must win at home (3): KSU, UCF, OSU

Need 2 of 3 (2): at TCU, at Cincy, ISU at home 

Steal one (1): at KU, at BYU, at and vs Baylor, at and vs Houston

• Hook 'Em 5

x/post:

i’ve been saying it all year and i’ll keep saying it: abmas is 1-2 tonight, missing a pull up jumper and swishing a catch-and-shoot three. i’m dying to know what his shooting splits are in this regard. he’s lethal off catch and shoot. not so much off the pull up. he needs to be more AJ Abrams, less DJ Augustin with the shot selection. 

Just now, HookEm said:

Bros... that was ugly AF.

Yeah that was bad. We are just so damn meh. Running out of time for things to click.

It feels like we are slipping back into where we were in the late Barnes and Shaka tenure. 

byu is going to come into our building and go 14-28 from deep and there’s nothing we can do about it. and this isn’t based on any stats or performances; just look at their team. they’ve got five of those white guys who love to go totally unconscious against us in league play. when byu comes to town:

Edited by shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

wtf  that’s insane.  why’d we offer so much, not like there was much competition for him.  

His salary ranks 7th in the Big 12.

These guys have agents. They aren’t signing stupid school friendly deals that you only see in video games where you make a $500k base salary but can get a $10 million bonus if you win the natty!

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 1

Just now, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

wtf  that’s insane.  why’d we offer so much, not like there was much competition for him.  

I don't know. The whole situation last yeat wrt Terry was intense. So much pressure during the tournament to sign him or we are evil monsters or something. I wish we could have waited until after the season was over to calmly consider the situation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

His salary ranks 7th in the Big 12.

These guys have agents. They aren’t signing stupid school friendly deals that you only see in video games where you make a $500k base salary but can get a $10 million bonus if you win the natty!

should be whatever number of teams there are now in the big 12 out of that same number…

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know. The whole situation last yeat wrt Terry was intense. So much pressure during the tournament to sign him or we are evil monsters or something. I wish we could have waited until after the season was over to calmly consider the situation.

The portal had been open for 3 weeks, high school recruiting was in full swing and our own guys were making draft/portal decisions. There was no realistic time period to sit back and consider options or conduct interviews or whatever.

No one matter how much people want to think there was another option or outcome, there wasn’t.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1