Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s a little out of date with us getting another quad 1 win. Not saying we definitely moved up to 9th, but our outlook has changed with the higher likelihood we finish 9-9 now instead of 8-10

we probably get Tennesse if they are the 1 and we are 8/9.  If we are a 10 we absolutely get Marquette as the 2. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

It was updated the 27th, but Lunardi has us as a 10 seed in Omaha. The 2 seed is God’s Gift. 

Fun.

that guy on reddit who sims every lunardi update has his latest:

IMG_9682.thumb.jpeg.d98dc65159211ed6f226ff8ecb5d0ef6.jpeg

has Texas losing to Utah State round one, has marquette losing 61-50 to nevada in round two (lol), and as you can see has a final matchup that would dwarf last year’s final game for least watched final game ever.

29 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that guy on reddit who sims every lunardi update has his latest:

IMG_9682.thumb.jpeg.d98dc65159211ed6f226ff8ecb5d0ef6.jpeg

has Texas losing to Utah State round one, has marquette losing 61-50 to nevada in round two (lol), and as you can see has a final matchup that would dwarf last year’s final game for least watched final game ever.

Can they give us a Big 12 team in a round of 32 game?

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Can they give us a Big 12 team in a round of 32 game?

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i too thought that that wasn’t a thing.

That’s not a hard rule anymore and hasn’t been since 2005/2006. They try but it’s difficult when a conference gets so many teams in (8+) nowadays 

When a conference has more than three teams in the tournament, the committee tries to seed the teams so that they cannot meet until the regional final. Before 2006, this was an absolute rule. However, in the summer of 2005, the NCAA changed its rules to allow intraconference matchups as early as the second round of the tournament, assuming that all measures to keep the teams apart until the regional finals have been exhausted. The NCAA was preparing for the chance that a conference would place more than eight teams in the tournament, which became a realistic possibility when the Big East, already a power conference, expanded to 16 members, with several of the new members having traditionally strong programs. The Big East placed a record eleven teams in the 2011 Tournament and nine teams in the 2012 Tournament. Although the Big East split into two leagues in 2013, the issue of conferences placing more than eight teams in the tournament remained, due to several other leagues expanding in the early 2010s (notably the ACC to 15, and the Big Ten and SEC to 14 each).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s not a hard rule anymore and hasn’t been since 2005/2006. They try but it’s difficult when a conference gets so many teams in (8+) nowadays 

However, in the summer of 2005, the NCAA changed its rules to allow intraconference matchups as early as the second round of the tournament, assuming that all measures to keep the teams apart until the regional finals have been exhausted.

Couldn't they just switch Texas with Wake Forest in that projection to avoid the situation.  It definitely doesn't seem like all measures to keep the teams apart have been exhausted.

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

Couldn't they just switch Texas with Wake Forest in that projection to avoid the situation.  It definitely doesn't seem like all measures to keep the teams apart have been exhausted.

Lunardi isn't the committee though, he's just a dork who makes brackets for clicks. 

• Haha 1

As of 3/1

Lunardi: 8 seed playing 9 seed Michigan State (do not want) in Brooklyn, 1 seed is UConn

CBS: 10 seed playing 7 seed Nevada in Indy, 2 seed is Marquette

On3: 9 seed playing 8 seed Michigan State (do not want) in Brooklyn, 1 seed is UConn

Bleacher Report: 9 seed playing 8 seed Boise State in Indy, 1 seed is Purdue

Bracket Matrix: 9 seed (the 4th 9 seed)

If the Big 12 tournament started today, we’d be the 8 seed playing 9 seed ou on 3/13

We really need to get out of the dreaded 8/9 game.  Even if that means losing on purpose to get to a 10-11 seed. 

That said, playing UConn again wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Last time they faced us we did ok without BOTH Disu and Shedrick.

i’ve heard it repeated throughout the season that we really weren’t healthy and didn’t play that well and that were a lot better now than we were when we played uconn the first time, and that uconn would be a desirable rematch/second round opponent. i dunno if you guys all live in a bubble or what, but uconn also isn’t the same team they were back in november. besides which, that game wasn’t particularly close or competitive in the first place. 

win probability during our game with uconn:

IMG_9839.thumb.jpeg.d785eaee5ef22de8a99c24b1b5093e6a.jpeg

they scored first and the game was never even tied after that. 

btw, uconn also was not fully healthy, and was giving big minutes to guys who now play small roles for them. here’s our box score vs their latest box score:

IMG_9837.thumb.jpeg.499ef938493cc8b3fdb7de2be95ca675.jpeg

vs

IMG_9841.thumb.jpeg.75bc53a166ac0036fe7a7a11cb76ea41.jpeg

ball, johnson, and diarra were playing big minutes against us, and are now playing much smaller roles. stephon castle, the likely big east freshman of the year, didn’t even play.

then there’s uconn’s form vs our form:

IMG_9842.thumb.jpeg.4ca25ee1ae7735bac3ae71b5e7f5a1c4.jpeg

vs

IMG_9843.thumb.jpeg.8e56cf68c7a5a9ce82bf8b0df6922fbe.jpeg

uconn will kick the fucking dog shit out of us in a rematch. we do not want to play them, and frankly, it’s kind of asinine that all of this “we want uconn!!!” talk has gone unchecked all year. we are maybe marginally better now than we were then, but on any given night we might also be way, way worse than we were then. uconn doesn’t have that issue. they are a legit title contender who brings it every single night. if we meet them in the second round they will make us long for our early season moral victory, as the rematch will be a bloodbath.

so please- stop it with all of this talk that says that we’re just soooo much better than we were on that night, and that uconn is ripe for the picking. they aren’t. they’ll kill us. stop asking for a rematch.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i’ve heard it repeated throughout the season that we really weren’t healthy and didn’t play that well and that were a lot better now than we were when we played uconn the first time, and that uconn would be a desirable rematch/second round opponent. i dunno if you guys all live in a bubble or what, but uconn also isn’t the same team they were back in november. besides which, that game wasn’t particularly close or competitive in the first place. 

btw, uconn also was not fully healthy, and was giving big minutes to guys who now play small roles for them. here’s our box score vs their latest box score:

vs

ball, johnson, and diarra were playing big minutes against us, and are now playing much smaller roles. stephon castle, the likely big east freshman of the year, didn’t even play.

vs

uconn will kick the fucking dog shit out of us in a rematch. we do not want to play them, and frankly, it’s kind of asinine that all of this “we want uconn!!!” talk has gone unchecked all year. we are maybe marginally better now than we were then, but on any given night we might also be way, way worse than we were then. uconn doesn’t have that issue. they are a legit title contender who brings it every single night. if we meet them in the second round they will make us long for our early season moral victory, as the rematch will be a bloodbath.

so please- stop it with all of this talk that says that we’re just soooo much better than we were on that night, and that uconn is ripe for the picking. they aren’t. they’ll kill us. stop asking for a rematch.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched the UConn game. We were competitive. Great. They would roll us if we played them again. I haven’t seen anyone indicate otherwise?

Give me a 7 or 10 seed.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MrX said:

I watched the UConn game. We were competitive. Great. They would roll us if we played them again. I haven’t seen anyone indicate otherwise?

Give me a 7 or 10 seed.

Look five posts up.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

We really need to get out of the dreaded 8/9 game.  Even if that means losing on purpose to get to a 10-11 seed. 

That said, playing UConn again wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Last time they faced us we did ok without BOTH Disu and Shedrick.

I haven't seen anyone saying UConn is "ripe for the picking," but it has been insinuated that we would match up better with them if Texas had another shot. I do agree with Derka (even with his propensity for the extreme) about that being false.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, MrX said:

Give me a 7 or 10 seed.

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Who thinks UConn is ripe for the picking?

32 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

200.gif

i don’t know if you guys have seen the post that’s a whole two posts above mine, or the countless posts on this board throughout the season about how improved we are and how uconn would be an ideal rematch, but they’re there.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, MrX said:

“Ideal rematch” and “Wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world” do not mean the same thing. 

there’s been way more posts on the subject than just the one where i finally decided to respond. it’s been brought up countless times that we weren’t fully healthy the first time around, that we’ve gotten better, that we were in that game, and that a rematch might well go in our favor with disu now on the team. it’s been intermittently brought up since november, and it’s just nonsense. we do not want to face uconn. marquette, tennessee, and purdue project to be the other 2 seeds as of today, and i’d rather play any of those teams than uconn. uconn is probably the no.1 team that i *don’t* want to see in round two.

Posted (edited)

actually tennessee would be a pretty terrible matchup as well, but is anyone here actually going to say they’d rather face uconn in round two over a rick barnes coached team? 

edit: tennessee, marquette, unc, and KU is who i’m seeing as projected 2 seeds now. bring on any one of those teams if it means avoiding uconn.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Look five posts up.

I haven't seen anyone saying UConn is "ripe for the picking," but it has been insinuated that we would match up better with them if Texas had another shot. I do agree with Derka (even with his propensity for the extreme) about that being false.

We would match up better With our best player back?  Maybe.  I do t think his post was that bullish nor have I seen other posts saying we’d bash their brains in

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I want UConn in the first round.  We will crush them.  Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

University of Central Oklahoma-Norman North? That UCONN? Yes, we would. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I want UConn in the first round.  We will crush them.  Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

My nephews uncle is on the selection committee and he’s saying Geno auriemma is telling him to not put Texas in their bracket

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We're a perfect example of a team that could stun a 2 or 3 seed or look inept in losing to them by 23. Would welcome another crack at Marquette but am hardly confident we'd beat them. It's probably a coin flip that we'll even reach that round. We seem to have trouble building on any big win. Maybe today and Monday will show we can. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

vs

vs

Yeah - because this is an accurate representation of the current Texas squad.

Screenshot_20240302_090032_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d47d55624d8dabada68e235e110f7a17.jpg

But you're right - I'm sure if we played them again without our best player or 2nd string 5 and with Weaver getting just 10 minutes they'd kick our ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

edit: tennessee, marquette, unc, and KU is who i’m seeing as projected 2 seeds now. bring on any one of those teams if it means avoiding uconn.

I also agree with this.

56 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah - because this is an accurate representation of the current Texas squad.

Screenshot_20240302_090032_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d47d55624d8dabada68e235e110f7a17.jpg

But you're right - I'm sure if we played them again without our best player or 2nd string 5 and with Weaver getting just 10 minutes they'd kick our ass. 

After how Shedrick dominated against Louisville, it was depressing not to have him against the Huskies. Not sure we'll ever see him do that against anyone again, given how he's looked since the injury. Maybe Disu and Weaver would make up for that in a rematch, but even at full strength we'd probably still be a heavy underdog. Would love a chance to prove we shouldn't be. 

13 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

but even at full strength we'd probably still be a heavy underdog.

Sure - just saying neither team was playing with a full deck of cards in that first matchup. It was effectively a road game, too, in MSG. It would be like us playing them in SA.

I'm sure Surly experts have covered this...

On OTF this morning, Gerry mentioned that Texas has adjusted on offense by having both Abmas and Weaver handling the ball more often.  Hamilton said it's just much better for Hunter to be an off-ball guard.

No shit Gerry...  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

On 3/1/2024 at 12:05 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Look five posts up.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:21 PM, shadow_operative said:

i don’t know if you guys have seen the post that’s a whole two posts above mine, or the countless posts on this board throughout the season about how improved we are and how uconn would be an ideal rematch, but they’re there.

Pollyanna blushes whenever that dude posts. There isn’t a lot of chatter about “wanting UCONN!!” other than the vagaries from him, more or less. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No 1 or 2 seed will be wary of playing us at all. We're decent talent wise but with some glaring holes, aren't very deep, and will have one of the worst P5 coaches in the tournament. 

There are probably several potential 7-10 seeds the top seeds would rather avoid before us. 

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

No 1 or 2 seed will be wary of playing us at all. We're decent talent wise but with some glaring holes, aren't very deep, and will have one of the worst P5 coaches in the tournament. 

There are probably several potential 7-10 seeds the top seeds would rather avoid before us. 

No 1 or 2 seed will want to play us. Disu and Abmas are capable of going nuclear on any given night. 

On 3/1/2024 at 2:13 PM, shadow_operative said:

actually tennessee would be a pretty terrible matchup as well, but is anyone here actually going to say they’d rather face uconn in round two over a rick barnes coached team? 

A Texas-Marquette game would be 55-50 with both teams refusing to rebound and turning the ball over 20 times. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

It is crazy that one of the worst P5 coaches is somehow going to finish in the top-6 in by far the hardest conference in the country, likely in the top-25 in KenPom, and ahead of 63/80 of those P5 coaches.

If we end up as a 7-seed, we are going to be the highest ranked 7-10 seed in KenPom.  Any 1-2 seed that doesn't want to avoid us is really stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, HookEm said:

It is crazy that one of the worst P5 coaches is somehow going to finish in the top-6 in by far the hardest conference in the country, likely in the top-25 in KenPom, and ahead of 63/80 of those P5 coaches.

If we end up as a 7-seed, we are going to be the highest ranked 7-10 seed in KenPom.  Any 1-2 seed that doesn't want to avoid us is really stupid.

We definitely aren't anywhere close to a 10 seed. #27 in NET and quite a few Q1 wins. Beat Baylor on the road and we might even be on the 6 seed line. 

But yeah, anybody that has us as a 10 right now is dumb. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

18 hours ago, Hermanator said:

You mean the P5 coach that took us within a whisker of the Final Four last year...?

Fuck you....take that bullshit to the Fire Rodney Terry thread with all of the other morons.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1