Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

We never upset higher-seeded teams in the NCAA tournament. In fact it's been 22 years since we last did so.

I highly doubt anyone is scared of us in the second round.

Good thing no team in tournament history has lost to anyone they shouldn’t be “scared of” before.

“Sark has never won more than nine games as a head coach.” - Satya, August 2023

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Good thing no team in tournament history has lost to anyone they shouldn’t be “scared of” before.

We've been a front-running team all year under RT, plagued by inconsistency. This is not a team built for springing upsets in March. In fact we never have been, going back to the Rick Barnes days. Even our best teams in those days were methodical bulldozers, not scrappy underdogs.

Edited by satyanash

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We've been a front-running team all year under RT, plagued by inconsistency. This is not a team built for springing upsets in March. In fact we never have been, going back to the Rick Barnes days. Even our best teams in those days were methodical bulldozers, not scrappy underdogs.

This very team has a few upsets this year and have had a couple of disastrous losses to shitty teams. Opppsite of a front runner

So bracket matrix yesterday had St. Mary’s, Gonzaga, Nevada and Utah State ahead of us on the 7 line.

We have more Q1 wins than 3 of those 4 with a higher NET than Nevada and Utah State.

I would have to think we are moved to the 7 if we win at least one in Kansas City.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

This very team has a few upsets this year and have had a couple of disastrous losses to shitty teams. Opppsite of a front runner

16-4 as the favorite, 4-7 as the underdog. Seems like a pretty typical distribution for a decent-solid CBB team. The ‘21-‘22 team was 20-5/2-7, to pull a random example.

Spoiler

IMG_5014.thumb.jpeg.884b982fba284eeaaa189d61274dd90a.jpegIMG_5013.thumb.jpeg.5e5764975fe12da7f41dd5331086f745.jpeg

Regardless, this is how I feel when reading a Surly poster’s absolute claim on this team’s inability to pull an upset in the NCAA tournament (notoriously full of upsets by far less talented teams)

IMG_4820.gif.fca9d4de16fd8b82db9c3e9ea1de833c.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

This is your normal Satya stupidity.

Also, nobody wants to play Texas with Abmas and Disu. He's just flat out wrong. Two guys capable of going nuclear like that are the types built to upset teams in the tournament. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is your normal Satya stupidity.

Also, nobody wants to play Texas with Abmas and Disu. He's just flat out wrong. Two guys capable of going nuclear like that are the types built to upset teams in the tournament. 

especially if Hunter is being aggressive.

• Like 1

The broadcasters also made a great point yesterday. We have one of the most experienced teams in the tournament. 

Hunter (made the NCAA tournament 3 times)

Abmas (made the NCAA tournament at Oral Roberts)

Disu (made the NCAA tournament 3 times)

Mitchell (made the NCAA tournament 2 times)

Cunningham (don't want to figure this out because he's a grandpa)

Shedrick (made the NCAA tournament a couple times at UVA)

The majority of our roster has been there and done that. I don't think the lights are going to be too big for these guys. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The broadcasters also made a great point yesterday. We have one of the most experienced teams in the tournament. 

Hunter (made the NCAA tournament 3 times)

Abmas (made the NCAA tournament at Oral Roberts)

Disu (made the NCAA tournament 3 times)

Mitchell (made the NCAA tournament 2 times)

Cunningham (don't want to figure this out because he's a grandpa)

Shedrick (made the NCAA tournament a couple times at UVA)

The majority of our roster has been there and done that. I don't think the lights are going to be too big for these guys. 

Of our 8 man primary rotation, only Shedrick and Weaver have never been to the 2nd weekend.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Of our 8 man primary rotation, only Shedrick and Weaver have never been to the 2nd weekend.

Satya is using a historical perspective instead of looking at the actual team. Which is dumb. 

1) Experienced

2) Two guys capable of scoring 25+ on any given night. 

3) This team will probably be under-seeded based on where the advanced metrics actually have them ranked. 

We might lose in the 1st round but this team has all the ingredients to upset teams. It's not surprising that Rothstein tweeted something like that because it's true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Satya is using a historical perspective instead of looking at the actual team. Which is dumb. 

1) Experienced

3) This team will probably be under-seeded based on where the advanced metrics actually have them ranked. 

We might lose in the 1st round but this team has all the ingredients to upset teams. It's not surprising that Rothstein tweeted something like that because it's true. 

and not just Abmas or Disu.

Shedrick and Weaver have put together a string of solid performances off the bench. 9.6 PPG in 17.8 MPG and 10.8 in 21.4 respectively.

If we are getting 20 from those 2 two, we have a rotation that can put 80 on teams with ease.

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

1) Experienced

also things are seemingly starting to line up for us. that UCF win last night for example was awesome for us. our oath to winning two league tourney games just became a more realistically doable one, and with two wins in this tourney there is zero chance we are anything worse than a 7 seed, and could very well end up as a 6 seed. the path to the S16 as a 6 seed is infinitely easier than as an 8 seed, which was likely what we were looking at just a week ago. we got hot around this time last year. there’s nothing that says we can’t do it again.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think it lays out like this:

• Lose to K-State - 8 / 9 seed
  • Beat K-State, lose to ISU - 7 /8 seed
  • Beat K-State, beat ISU, lose to Baylor/KU - 7 seed
  • Beat K-State, beat ISU, beat Baylor/KU, lose to UH - 6 seed
  • Win Big 12 Tournament - 5 seed

A Big 12 tournament championship would give us 3 more Q1 wins, bringing our total to 8 Q1 wins.  There are currently only 8 teams in the country with that many.   A 5 seed seems reasonable at that point.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Disu First Team All Big 12 and Most Improved Player

Abmas 2nd Team and All Newcomer Team

hell yeah. well deserved for both guys. these guys have done the majority of the heavy lifting for this team all season, and they deserve all of the plaudits. i would love for dylan to make one of the all america teams, but sadly his injury from last year will likely prevent that from happening, otherwise i think he at least makes the AA 3rd team. 

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Disu First Team All Big 12 and Most Improved Player

Abmas 2nd Team and All Newcomer Team

No way Disu could be most improved player, derka would have you believe this coaching staff fucking sucks from top to bottom.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If we are getting 20 from those 2 two, we have a rotation that can put 80 on teams with ease.

Possibly.  Our defense seems to be improving as well.  I'd be curious to see the progression of advanced metrics on team defense over the course of the season.

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

So bracket matrix yesterday had St. Mary’s, Gonzaga, Nevada and Utah State ahead of us on the 7 line.

We have more Q1 wins than 3 of those 4 with a higher NET than Nevada and Utah State.

I would have to think we are moved to the 7 if we win at least one in Kansas City.

yeah I think we can get a 7.  6 is unlikely. we are fighting the fact that the Big 12 is gonna get 9 in.  hard to have 6 or 7 big 12 teams be in the top 24 the one/two bid mid majors always get some run due to number of losses.

I think we are definitely getting a 6 seed if we win 2 in the Big 12 tournament. Updated T-rank now has the historical average seed for our current resume at 5.1. 

We are drastically undervalued by some of these bracketologists based on what our resume normally gets as a seed. Hell, I think a 5 seed is in play if we win 2 in the Big 12 tournament. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Possibly.  Our defense seems to be improving as well.  I'd be curious to see the progression of advanced metrics on team defense over the course of the season.

as i remember it, we were pretty well below average during non conference play, then really bad to open league play, followed by a gradual bounce back that seemed sustained until the baylor and OU games, at which point we went back down to “pretty well below average”. we finished 55th in AdjD. our lowest point was being ranked in the 70’s in january, and our highest point was being in the 40’s last month. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I think we are definitely getting a 6 seed if we win 2 in the Big 12 tournament. Updated T-rank now has the historical average seed for our current resume at 5.1. 

We are drastically undervalued by some of these bracketologists based on what our resume normally gets as a seed. Hell, I think a 5 seed is in play if we win 2 in the Big 12 tournament. 

you would think so, but then again in 2011 our team which finished #5 in kenpom (post tourney) got a 4 seed in the tourney, plus the toughest draw of any 4 seed. i’ll never forget that shit.

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you would think so, but then again in 2011 our team which finished #5 in kenpom (post tourney) got a 4 seed in the tourney, plus the toughest draw of any 4 seed. i’ll never forget that shit.

yeah, that was an epic screw job.  we were 2nd to kansas in big 12 by 1 loss.  we were 8 in the final AP poll.

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If we win 2 in the Big 12 tournament the historical average for our seed is probably going to be between 4 and 5. 

For us to get a 7 seed would mean we fall 2+ seed lines below what our resume normally produces. 

we are going to have 12 losses.  while the quadrant data helps, the number in the loss column still matters.  2 wins though and we get a 6 for sure

Just now, dcar00 said:
17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, that was an epic screw job.  we were 2nd to kansas in big 12 by 1 loss.  we were 8 in the final AP poll.

Let's not forget the referee who couldn't count to five.

• Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

as i remember it, we were pretty well below average during non conference play, then really bad to open league play, followed by a gradual bounce back that seemed sustained until the baylor and OU games, at which point we went back down to “pretty well below average”. we finished 55th in AdjD. our lowest point was being ranked in the 70’s in january, and our highest point was being in the 40’s last month. 

Back to back a seasons with a top 20 AdjO. As much as this fanbase has complained about this program's offense over the last 20+ years you'd think this achievement would be notable. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Back to back a seasons with a top 20 AdjO. As much as this fanbase has complained about this program's offense over the last 20+ years you'd think this achievement would be notable. 

agreed. coming into this season we all expected to have a good offensive/shooting team and that’s exactly what we have. it’s been really enjoyable to have such a reliable offense. 

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also things are seemingly starting to line up for us. that UCF win last night for example was awesome for us. our oath to winning two league tourney games just became a more realistically doable one, and with two wins in this tourney there is zero chance we are anything worse than a 7 seed, and could very well end up as a 6 seed. the path to the S16 as a 6 seed is infinitely easier than as an 8 seed, which was likely what we were looking at just a week ago. we got hot around this time last year. there’s nothing that says we can’t do it again.

i know you meant path, but i like the idea that we took an oath to win two tourney games.

• Haha 1

I love how when I clicked on bracketology on espn today, I saw the first and potential 2nd round line up and said nope and closed the page, quickest espn read in years. lol Florida Atlantic then right into Purdue…that sounds so familiar hmmm yeah want none of that. Rather be in OUs 9 spot against northwestern then Rick Barnes. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

I think the biggest mistake this year from a roster construction was bringing back Mitchell over Kaluma. Unfortunately, Kaluma is a much better player than Mitchell as I said over the summer. 

Kaluma, Abmas, and Disu together would have been nasty. 

I guess there was no guarantee that Kaluma would have picked Texas but sounded like we were definitely in the mix before Mitchell decided to return. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think the biggest mistake this year from a roster construction was bringing back Mitchell over Kaluma. Unfortunately, Kaluma is a much better player than Mitchell as I said over the summer. 

Kaluma, Abmas, and Disu together would have been nasty. 

I guess there was no guarantee that Kaluma would have picked Texas but sounded like we were definitely in the mix before Mitchell decided to return. 

Kaluma would have a better replacement of what Allen brought to the team, with a capable 3 point shot. I agree. Hunter, Abmas, Kaluma, Disu, and anyone would have been a spicy team.

I actually like what Mitchell brings to the team.  He is averaging 10 PTS and 7.7 TRB and is defending well.  His free throw shooting is up to 69% in conference, which is a huge improvement over his 40% free throw last year.  He gives us a nice burst of energy and is a good complement to Shedrick who is a little slow footed.  Mitchell is also someone who can really run the floor and is good for a few highlight dunks every game.  I'm not convinced that this is our last year with him on the roster - and I really hope he comes back.  

The team has plenty of good pieces.  The most important one is Hunter. If he is attacking the basket and hitting a few 3s, we can beat anybody, even if Abmas or Disu aren't playing well.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I actually like what Mitchell brings to the team.  He is averaging 10 PTS and 7.7 TRB and is defending well.  His free throw shooting is up to 69% in conference, which is a huge improvement over his 40% free throw last year.  He gives us a nice burst of energy and is a good complement to Shedrick who is a little slow footed.  Mitchell is also someone who can really run the floor and is good for a few highlight dunks every game.  I'm not convinced that this is our last year with him on the roster - and I really hope he comes back.  
The team has plenty of good pieces.  The most important one is Hunter. If he is attacking the basket and hitting a few 3s, we can beat anybody, even if Abmas or Disu aren't playing well.  

Agreed…also, one of the great things about college hoops is seeing guys improve over time. I am not saying Dillon will ever be shooting lights out, but he is a much better player than he was last year, and I would expect that to continue if he sticks around.

Kind of funny to go back and read this thread from early-April of last year.  The majority of the board had written us off before we had brought in a single player from the portal.  Projections of 5-25 and missing the tournament.

• Haha 1