2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

On 5/7/2023 at 5:27 PM, closetojumping said:

We’re just being thrown an onslaught of AAAA players right now. Dubon, Julks, France, Bielak, Gage, Martinez. Guys on this thread have been touting Julks and calling me out about it. L!O!L!  Dude has one walk in a fifth of a major league season. Holy shit. 

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, slorch said:

You may run like Mays, but you hit like shit*

* have no idea what his slash line might be, but it IS conspicuously absent.

The best I could find is he hit .445 with an ops of 1.296 and 32 stolen bases his senior year. Interestingly Perfect Game had our round 11 draft pick Ochoa as the #1 outfielder in Texas and George #2. Ochoa also signed for $300k instead of the $150k I posted earlier from the Spanish speaking Twitter account.

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

It can't be said enough.. You have to win ALL the games against Oakland if you want to stay in this race, especially considering the remaining schedule. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

100 percent. Next 20 games are going to be a struggle if we don’t have some help

Guarantee that we lose at least one of the next three... and it won't be the end of the season.  4-2 since the ASB and Tuve and Yordan are back soon.  Don't panic.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

I am as happy as anyone that the Stros are 11 games above .500. You attempting to mock a post for ... (checks notes) ... two guys with an OPS hovering around .700 after being hot, two guys with FIPs above 5, one dude that isn't on the roster any longer and JP France, a nice surprise but a 28 year old rookie, is certainly an interesting approach. 

This team still has guys like Hensley and some dude named Bligh on it. Maldonado is absolutely worthless and gets regular playing time for his fat ass. The back of the staff and bullpen are both tenuous. So, yeah, we need Dubon and Julks to keep playing above league average for the rest of the year and for Bielak and France to keep sacrificing live chickens to Jobu all year long. If they don't, and Maldonado's worthless, negative WAR ass keeps getting PT while the key guys can't stay healthy, none of us are laughing.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am as happy as anyone that the Stros are 11 games above .500. You attempting to mock a post for ... (checks notes) ... two guys with an OPS hovering around .700 after being hot, two guys with FIPs above 5, one dude that isn't on the roster any longer and JP France, a nice surprise but a 28 year old rookie, is certainly an interesting approach. 

This team still has guys like Hensley and some dude named Bligh on it. Maldonado is absolutely worthless and gets regular playing time for his fat ass. The back of the staff and bullpen are both tenuous. So, yeah, we need Dubon and Julks to keep playing above league average for the rest of the year and for Bielak and France to keep sacrificing live chickens to Jobu all year long. If they don't, and Maldonado's worthless, negative WAR ass keeps getting PT while the key guys can't stay healthy, none of us are laughing.

rvm is a fucking moron, I had to put him on ignore because he is a fucking moron.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

First only Bielak has a FIP above 5 out of those pitchers. Second you claim victory when Julks starts out cold with his first MLB action in April but when he rights the ship and starts doing well it's an "interesting approach" for me to celebrate it. That's hypocrisy if I've ever seen it.

59 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

rvm is a fucking moron, I had to put him on ignore because he is a fucking moron.

After he had to neg my posts for like 3 months straight.

50 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

First only Bielak has a FIP above 5 out of those pitchers. Second you claim victory when Julks starts out cold with his first MLB action in April but when he rights the ship and starts doing well it's an "interesting approach" for me to celebrate it. That's hypocrisy if I've ever seen it.

After he had to neg my posts for like 3 months straight.

Julks has an OPS of .706. How is that righting a ship? That's floating aimlessly and listing to the side. That's what you're trying to turn into a thing. Good luck with it.

"Corey Julks is making a fool out of you, buddy!!! He's within 25 points of the league average OPS, motherfucker!!!!?! Hahahahaha. Jokes on you! Now I am going to quote the post you made 2 months and summon you back to this thread to make sure you know the magic of this man's performance!!?"

Julks is putting up worse numbers than Luke Scott, Daryle Ward, and Jason Lane during their juggernaut rookie seasons. If Brantley were healthy, or if the OF hadn't been mismanaged in the offseason, Corey Julks would be where he should be right now, in Sugarland, preparing to do the baseball version of Kramer in the kids' dojo to the Albuquerque Isotopes.

I don't know why I thought Gage or Martinez had FIPs over 5. My bad on that one. They both are just basically 4A players, so no need to further besmirch their mediocrity.

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

emoji208.png

1ead546a56d538f5224a0b129652ce43.jpg

I honestly think that Baker puts Hensley in the lineup simply to make Maldonado's numbers look reasonable. Dude has only played in 29 games and still amassed a negative WAR trending towards -1. I'd like to see him play everyday just to see how far down he could take it. What is the lowest WAR ever posted in a single season? 

• Drool 1

37 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Tim Anderson is at -1.4 so he has a ways to go

(Not sure league leader)

This is just crazy to me. We could not get the guy out at the beginning of the year. I know he’s had a couple injuries he’s been playing through. If any guy needs a change of scenery it’s probably him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Julks has an OPS of .706. How is that righting a ship? That's floating aimlessly and listing to the side. That's what you're trying to turn into a thing. Good luck with it.

"Corey Julks is making a fool out of you, buddy!!! He's within 25 points of the league average OPS, motherfucker!!!!?! Hahahahaha. Jokes on you! Now I am going to quote the post you made 2 months and summon you back to this thread to make sure you know the magic of this man's performance!!?"

Julks is putting up worse numbers than Luke Scott, Daryle Ward, and Jason Lane during their juggernaut rookie seasons. If Brantley were healthy, or if the OF hadn't been mismanaged in the offseason, Corey Julks would be where he should be right now, in Sugarland, preparing to do the baseball version of Kramer in the kids' dojo to the Albuquerque Isotopes.

I don't know why I thought Gage or Martinez had FIPs over 5. My bad on that one. They both are just basically 4A players, so no need to further besmirch their mediocrity.

He just had a terrible May. His OBP has seen an improvement every month if you swap May and April. 

47 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I know BA isn't that important, etc., but I'm looking at the lineups, and I'm saying, holy crap, the As lineup sucks.

191, 196, 204, 208, 212, 213, 217...what shit

Then I look at our 8 and 9, 125 and 168

Terrific

BP is important