2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 hours ago, Scraps said:

Verlander talk heating up now that Mets traded Robertson

He is going somewhere, but has a no trade clause so pretty much gets to decide on the spot

Is there any way we could have Verlander for the remainder of the season then give him to the Rangers for the playoffs? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Verlander accepting a trade to the Rangers would be…something. Money is the same either way. Does he think they have legitimate chance to win? Does he want to send a message of some sort to the Astros? Does he just want to play on all the same teams Nolan did? I don’t see it happening but stranger things have happened. It’s not like he owes the Mets a solid to get them a better trade package. I think he would help us and I also think Yordan would hit one 470 feet off of him in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

lynn is the guy you sign for cheap and let him eat innings during the season then trade or put on the il when shit gets real.  if someone in the nl wants to trot lynn out as sp2 or sp3 against atlanta, best of luck.

I think the Dodgers are trying their best to hang onto the #2 spot. Big difference between having to play a short series with their current rotation vs. getting to rest a week and setting up a rested Kershaw.

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Lee for Graveman is a fucking terrible deal for the Astros. 

My position, too.  Lee was going to be very useful as a platoon mate next season and Graveman’s peripherals are terrible and he’s about been used heavy this year so not a great solution to an overworked bullpen.  

This smacks of “well, we did something,” when all the alternatives appeared worse.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Gave up Korey Lee to get him but with Diaz showing major potential and already being tutored, I’d say it’s probably not a big deal.

They have to get rid of Maldy after the season. Nobody catches every day. Lee probably catches 40-50 games per year for the next 5/6 years if Diaz sticks. He’s a good defensive catcher with decent power. And he costs almost nothing.

Graveman and his 4.85 FIP doesn’t match the value.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of y'all act like y'all haven't seen Korey Lee play in the majors.  He hasn't been good in admittedly limited at bats.  He was the heir apparent and couldn't do it, so got passed by Yanier.  He has some potential still, but his trade value wasn't super high.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Signing a backup catcher costs almost nothing also. 

Not one that might be MORE valuable after a couple of years of service time.  

I mean, look at some of that trade suggestions online for Jake fucking Rogers, who is basically Lee with service time and maybe 5% more pitch selectivity.  

1 minute ago, uoftorange said:

Some of y'all act like y'all haven't seen Korey Lee play in the majors.  He hasn't been good in admittedly limited at bats.  He was the heir apparent and couldn't do it, so got passed by Yanier.  He has some potential still, but his trade value wasn't super high.

If his trade value isn’t high why trade him?

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

They have to get rid of Maldy after the season. Nobody catches every day. Lee probably catches 40-50 games per year for the next 5/6 years if Diaz sticks. He’s a good defensive catcher with decent power. And he costs almost nothing.

Graveman and his 4.85 FIP doesn’t match the value.

Decent power. He has 5 HRs this season. He's a backup catcher for the Astros and backup catchers are a dime of dozen in MLB.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I said it was a good get earlier but that was before I heard Lee. I’m not sure we got enough value. I was thinking a package with Lee would get us a top starter or bat.

We need to trade Meyers for a reliever. Or pain relief Tylenol. He gives me a headache.

I don't think anyone wants Jake Meyers.. I would love to trade him for Shohei, so does my 9 year old who did it on the Playstation yesterday. But he's going to be a throw in at best. 

Edited by texashorne
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Decent power. He has 5 HRs this season. He's a backup catcher for the Astros and backup catchers are a dime of dozen in MLB.

And 25 last year. He will almost certainly be far more valuable over the next 5 years than Graveman will over the next 1.5. Graveman is completely ordinary. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski