2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

If Urquidy and Brantley come back and if they are themselves, that is probably every bit as good as any acquisition you could make; with no additional cost. If there is a >50% chance of them coming back, I wouldn't pay too high a price for anyone. 

I think there is a 0% chance we get anything meaningful out of Brantley this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

i said something similar in a conversation last night.  the timing of the trade deadline seems to also be when pena and abreu (not to mention chas) got activated.  we also added altuve and yordan.  if we add urquidy and uncle mike, that's about as good as a july/aug run as you can hope for without giving up shit.  there isn't a dominant team in the al right now, so you may just have to roll the dice and hope that our guys do what our guys do.
honestly, is there a team that scares you?  a pitching staff?
50cdbb27-2a4a-461c-8db5-54d994e09a5b_text.gif

The Braves. They are legit.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I no read good, but am I missing something?

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-padres-contract-extension

ahh, my bad.  looks like he signed that after he threatened to opt out.  machado is smart.  padres are fucking morons.

they sign these huge deals and basically make these guys untradeable.  or if they do get traded, the team has to choose between prospects and cash.  guess that's kinda what's happening with jv.

another season of proving that these huge deals don't work.

• Hook 'Em 1

Baseball Prospectus mid-season update has Houston with 5 of the top 150 prospects (Gilbert, Dezenzo, Clifford, Arrighetti, Baez), with Gilbert/Dezenzo/Clifford all in the top 80.  I'm lower on Arrighetti but also think very highly of Barber and Loperfido.  Houston's farm is nowhere near as barren as people are saying.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I like Urquidy, but let's not pretend that he and his 5 ERA are going to help like JV would.  A few more hours to call the Mets bluff.  Fuck them for 1986 anyway.

in the playoffs these days it's about going 5 and giving up 2 while we lean on offense and bullpen.  that's perfect for urquidy if he's going to be sp3.  not sure where france and hb would slot.  maybe urquidy is sp4. 

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

it's kinda not classic poker.  if verlander decides to stay, he doesn't really "lose".  he stays in new york with his family and his millions, pitching low stress baseball and is on vacation by oct 1st.  yeah, everybody wants to win, but he won a world series last year, so let's not act like he's charles fucking barkley.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

agreed but in this case it might mean the money/contract part for JV has been figured out. 

Both players and money are a moving target. One goes up, the other goes down. The only thing figured out is that JV will waive his NTC to go to the Astros. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

JV will waive to come here.  Mets can either take the guys we want to give them or they can just pass and keep JV.  

Dana needs to not start shitting himself and play the long game. 

Now with like 15 mins left til deadline if this isn't happening he needs to transition elsewhere and that is where I could see him overpaying the fuck out of something(perhaps Cease) to save the day 

• Hook 'Em 2