2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

we whine way the fuck more about our own squad/ management than about  anyone else.  It's not even close.

But yeah, I'm actually inclined to agree that Seattle series helped shake some of the t-shirt fans right off.  There was definitely some trepidation on here.

It's a good, healthy, normal process to shed excess growth/ hangers-on.

Edited by slorch

For as sporadically as we've pitched, hit and played D this year, by our recent standards, and for as hot as our "neighbors" were for months, today's standings are remarkable. It's still hard for me to be confident without seeing longer stretches of consistency and health, but hopefully we've survived the worst of both. At least I'm not hearing anything about Arlington's magic number any more. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Well, this bed shitting by the Rangers was always coming.  They were never gonna win 100+, no matter what their pace was.  They had remarkably good health for the first few months, combined with several guys having career years at once.  That's a recipe for some regression coming.

I just wish we'd made a little more of it.  Christ, just take 1 game from that Seattle series, guys.

But, as mentioned above, we're in a startlingly good place, given our own injury parade and inconsistencies.  We've got JV back and he's telling people to fuck off again.  We're in this thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Plus the bullpen. At least now we're sometimes getting far enough ahead that calling on Montero isn't always fatal. 

Bullpen has actually had a solid month.  It's the starting rotation that has struggled recently.  We have yet to have a stretch where starting rotation, bullpen, and offense have been in sync.  And we could be tied for the division lead at the end of the day on August 23rd.  

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Bullpen has actually had a solid month.  It's the starting rotation that has struggled recently.  We have yet to have a stretch where starting rotation, bullpen, and offense have been in sync.  And we could be tied for the division lead at the end of the day on August 23rd.  

That's been the craziest thing to me, to be this far over .500 despite the wildly up-and-down performances. Maybe several guys have been more dinged up than we heard they were, but we've had no notable stretch of every key guy playing decent to great. Altuve hot, Bregman cold. Tucker mashing, Chaz slumping. Valdez cruising, Brown in a funk. Or so it seems to me. Throw in the many missed games by 27 and 44, along with the underuse of Diaz, and it's really a wonder we're in the position we are. 

28 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Plus the bullpen. At least now we're sometimes getting far enough ahead that calling on Montero isn't always fatal. 

Before last night Montero had a 1.83 ERA since July 1.

Before July 1?  Well it was real real bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Seattle right now is the team to be most concerned with for the division lead. They have only lost four games in August and are 26-11 since the ASB. After today's game at Chi, they are home for two series against the Royals and As, then they follow that with a long ten-game road trip to NYM, Cincy, and TB. 

They aren't going to lose many of these upcoming games I think. 

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Seattle right now is the team to be most concerned with for the division lead. They have only lost four games in August and are 26-11 since the ASB. After today's game at Chi, they are home for two series against the Royals and As, then they follow that with a long ten-game road trip to NYM, Cincy, and TB. 

This is why I’m least concerned about Seattle.

they are due for regression. I don’t care what the upcoming schedule looks like.

that is, unless they are the 2017 Indians with that ridiculous stretch where they didn’t lose in august/sept.

but even then, they only won two games in the playoffs…

12 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

they are due for regression. I don’t care what the upcoming schedule looks like.

that is, unless they are the 2017 Indians with that ridiculous stretch where they didn’t lose in august/sept.

Sure. but that would be enough to send us to WC run at best if they repeated the 2017 Indians.  

13 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Astros still have to play the Mariners and Rangers 3 times each, and they have to play each other 7 of the last 10 games of the season. I think that they will beat each other up, and as long as the Astros can go 2-1 in those series, they should be good to at least make the wild card. The schedule coming up has a lot of easy games, Tigers, Padres, As and the Royals twice, so there is plenty of opportunity for this team to win a lot of games and the division. It's going to be a wild ride all the way to the end, but that likely means they won't be able to rest anyone important for the last few games.

In the past, the Astros haven't had anyone close to taking the division for the last 1-2 weeks of the season, and it has allowed them to go into the playoffs well rested, but that probably won't happen this year. That could hurt them, but it also makes winning the division more important to get the Bye and have a much better pitching rotation to start the playoffs. Philly made the World Series last year being a 6th seed, so if they get a Wild Card it's not the end of the line, but winning the division would be pretty sweet for a lot of reasons, and to fuck over the Rangers and Mariners.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The schedule coming up has a lot of easy games, Tigers, Padres, As and the Royals twice, so there is plenty of opportunity for this team to win a lot of games and the division. It's going to be a wild ride all the way to the end, but that likely means they won't be able to rest anyone important for the last few games.

Padres are schizophrenic, but by no means an "easy" series.  Ask Arlington.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

this may be strong in confidence but it's lacking in reality imo., Seattle is a very good, young team with playoff experience that has proven the ability to stay hot for a long time. Of course they are due for some regression, no team sustains an .800 winning percentage over two months like Seattle has done in the month of August. However, it is certainly plausible that they sustain a .650 winning percentage the rest of the way which would put them at about 94-95 wins. We have to go at least 23-12 or better to match that and since they own the tiebreaker......

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking at https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules

If Seattle played one more game and won it (say against an NL team), and Texas played one more game but lost it (also say against an NL team), do the Rangers or Mariners have the three way tie-breaker?

Rule 1 with a three way tie is "If Teams X, Y and Z all finish tied at the top, then the team with the best combined winning percentage against the two other clubs would be the division champ." We see...

Sea: 9-7

Tex: 9-7

Hou: 2-12

Normally, I'd think that knocks Houston out and give it to Texas for being 5-1 against Seattle, but the text doesn't say that. It seems to go to the next rule.

Rule 2 is intradivision record, which is easy enough to understand.

Sea: 22-11 (0.667)

Hou: 26-17 (0.605)

Tex: 21-15 (0.583)

That's Seattle.

30 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Padres are schizophrenic, but by no means an "easy" series.  Ask Arlington.

I wish we were playing there and employing the "us against the world" strategery.

9 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Looking at https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules

If Seattle played one more game and won it (say against an NL team), and Texas played one more game but lost it (also say against an NL team), do the Rangers or Mariners have the three way tie-breaker?

Rule 1 with a three way tie is "If Teams X, Y and Z all finish tied at the top, then the team with the best combined winning percentage against the two other clubs would be the division champ." We see...

Sea: 9-7

Tex: 9-7

Hou: 2-12

Normally, I'd think that knocks Houston out and give it to Texas for being 5-1 against Seattle, but the text doesn't say that. It seems to go to the next rule.

Rule 2 is intradivision record, which is easy enough to understand.

Sea: 22-11 (0.667)

Hou: 26-17 (0.605)

Tex: 21-15 (0.583)

That's Seattle.

Knowing MLB and their shit-tastic rulemaking and enforcement, I'd be willing to bet that, if your numbers are correct, after Rule 1 eliminates Houston, the Rangers are left to argue that Rule 2 is moot, and Seattle to argue that Rule 2 would then apply as the tiebreaker, which would currently give the division to Seattle. Is Rule 2 the tiebreaker for a two-way tie?

Edited by Saint Tacky

23 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Where did you get 2-12?

19 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

yeah the worst it could be for us vs SEA is 2-11 and that assumes another sweep in Seattle

Sorry, 8-12. Still leaves Houston last. Can't edit the post anymore. 2-12 was a typo.

Edited by n64ra