2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

38 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Watching San Diego and Colo on MLB. I really wish there were some way to get Hader back on the Astros but unless Crane goes full Cohen there’s no way with everyone we have to pay. Sure would like another late arm next year.

there are nasty 7th/8th inning type guys on every roster or at least in every organization who are walking around being closers and don't even know it. 

we targeted pressly, a middling reliever in minn because of his spin rate, and we turned him into a top closer.  i know strom is gone, but hopefully there's somebody on the payroll who can do the same and either go get a guy, draft a guy, or take one of our current guys and make him into the next guy.  or just have lance do it.

either way, closer is the absolute last place i would spend my money.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

there are nasty 7th/8th inning type guys on every roster or at least in every organization who are walking around being closers and don't even know it. 

we targeted pressly, a middling reliever in minn because of his spin rate, and we turned him into a top closer.  i know strom is gone, but hopefully there's somebody on the payroll who can do the same and either go get a guy, draft a guy, or take one of our current guys and make him into the next guy.  or just have lance do it.

either way, closer is the absolute last place i would spend my money.

Abreu would be my horse.  But I'm not ready to give up on Pressly yet.

We get McCullers and Garcia back next season.  That makes for some really good pitching depth, assuming no other injuries.  A couple of our current starters would likely improve our bullpen.

We need to sign Tucker and Bregman to extensions this offseason, bigtime.

Despite the up and down regular season, I'm expecting big things in the postseason.  We've shown up against the good teams. That trend will continue in the playoffs where they are all good teams.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

His velocity was down last year when he was back and there's a good chance it's gonna drop again after this latest injury.  If it does, he's gonna be sitting somewhere 90-92.  I don't expect anything out of him.

It's always the 2nd year when the velocity comes back after TJ surgery, the problem is that his arm fell apart in year two. He needs a year in the bullpen to help his arm, it worked for McHugh, the problem is paying a middle reliever $18M.

Verlander and Framber are the only 2 that are regular starters. You piggyback McCullers, Garica, Brown, Javier, France, and Urquidy for half the season.

That leaves room for 5 relievers. You have Graveman, Montero, Pressly, Abreu, and Neris (unless he opts out).

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's always the 2nd year when the velocity comes back after TJ surgery, the problem is that his arm fell apart in year two. He needs a year in the bullpen to help his arm, it worked for McHugh, the problem is paying a middle reliever $18M.

no, the problem is not getting anything out of him at all.  if he can be an effective high-leverage multi-inning guy, he can earn his money.  it doesn't matter if it's $5mm or $25mm, there's no cap and it's not my money.  but we need to get something out of it.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

no, the problem is not getting anything out of him at all.  if he can be an effective high-leverage multi-inning guy, he can earn his money.  it doesn't matter if it's $5mm or $25mm, there's no cap and it's not my money.  but we need to get something out of it.

Maybe he can be an amazing set up man. Just come in and throw off speed breaking filth for one inning 

42 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's always the 2nd year when the velocity comes back after TJ surgery, the problem is that his arm fell apart in year two. He needs a year in the bullpen to help his arm, it worked for McHugh, the problem is paying a middle reliever $18M.

Verlander and Framber are the only 2 that are regular starters. You piggyback McCullers, Garica, Brown, Javier, France, and Urquidy for half the season.

That leaves room for 5 relievers. You have Graveman, Montero, Pressly, Abreu, and Neris (unless he opts out).

This would be so smart that we won’t do it now that we are a dumb organization. But it should be what we do. No doubt about it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I know strom is gone, but hopefully there's somebody on the payroll who can do the same and either go get a guy, draft a guy, or take one of our current guys and make him into the next guy. 

I think we all know that the Messiah of which you speak is named Whitley.  

• Drool 1

ok, so captain obvious here, but tomorrow is the biggest game of the season.  let's discuss.

the magic number for playoffs is 6, division is 10.  i know toronto is losing 3-0 in the 6th, but let's ignore that for now.  seattle and texas play each other.

so if we can just fucking win the game tomorrow, we will be half a game up on someone and 1.5 up on the other.  the playoff magic number will go to 4 (right?) and the division magic number will go to 9.  a playoff magic number of 4 with 8 to play sounds manageable, even for this bunch.

if we lose, we're in 2nd place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Was telling 3putt the other day at the game that Altuve would be in MVP talk if he played all season. His numbers are pretty fucking good for half a season.

Yeah, I feel like there has been very little talk about what he’s done when healthy this year, but he’s been incredible at the plate.

In half a season (exactly 81 games), 100 hits, 20 2Bs, 17 HRs, 48 RBIs, 74 Runs, 13 SB.

double those numbers and that rivals 2017.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah, I feel like there has been very little talk about what he’s done when healthy this year, but he’s been incredible at the plate.

In half a season (exactly 81 games), 100 hits, 20 2Bs, 17 HRs, 48 RBIs, 74 Runs, 13 SB.

Just think about how many more RBIs he would have if Chas and Yanier were batting 7/8th every day too...

27 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

And he was this good last year too. He’s kept this up for a season and a half now, at ages 32-33. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ok, so captain obvious here, but tomorrow is the biggest game of the season.  let's discuss.
the magic number for playoffs is 6, division is 10.  i know toronto is losing 3-0 in the 6th, but let's ignore that for now.  seattle and texas play each other.
so if we can just fucking win the game tomorrow, we will be half a game up on someone and 1.5 up on the other.  the playoff magic number will go to 4 (right?) and the division magic number will go to 9.  a playoff magic number of 4 with 8 to play sounds manageable, even for this bunch.

The most the division magic number can decrease tomorrow is by 1 because they are playing each other.

Win and the division magic number is 5. Lose and we are in second place.

The most the division magic number can decrease tomorrow is by 1 because they are playing each other.

I suppose, thinking about it, if Texas wins and we win tomorrow the magic number would be 4 because we own the tiebreaker with them so we technically only need to tie them after 162.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Honeysucklerose said:

you're confusing the playoff number with the division number.  pretty sure my summary is correct here.  and i only notched the division down one number with a win tomorrow, from 10 to 9.

toronto lost and i believe we now have identical records, which means toronto is also 0.5 up on both texas and seattle and they go to tampa this weekend, who trails balt by 1.5 after balt lost to cleveland.  the schedule makers earned their $ this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I think the most the WC magic number can be reduced is 1 game with the Mariners/Rangers playing each other... and that assuming we win tomorrow. If we lose I think it stays at 6.

Pretty sure they are already including a guaranteed 4 losses for our competition in the WC calculation since one of the Rangers/Ms are guaranteed to lose at least 4. 

But, I also could be too drunk right now to really figure it out

Leaving Toronto out of this scenario for simplicity.

But say the Mariners go 6-4 (winning 4 out of 7 against Tex and 2 against us), the Rangers 6-4 (sweeping the Angels and losing 4 of 7 to the Ms), and we go 5-4 (Winning 2 against the Royals and DBacks and 1 against the M's). That would leave us all at 90 wins. 

I think the Mariners would win the division in that scenario and we would win the tie breaker against the Rangers for a wild card spot. 

Don't even want to think about what happens if all 4 teams (Toronto, Seattle, Texas, and us) finish at 90 wins. Maybe intradivision would come into play there and Toronto would miss out? 

But, what all that shows is that the wild card magic number of 6 means that we need to win 6 games to guarantee a playoff spot. So, don't count on the wild card magic number dropping by two if we win and another team loses.

If we win only 5 games there is a possibility we miss the playoffs. Win less than 5 then we better hope that one of the Ms/Rangers sweep the other (or that the Blue Jays fall apart)

I think I need another drink after all that...

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

You confused me saying the playoff magic number is already 6 but I think I'm following now.

Neglecting tiebreakers for now, because all 4 teams have 68 losses, the magic number to finish a game ahead of each team is:

Jays 10

Rangers 10

Mariners 10

To make the playoffs, we only have to finish ahead of one of those 3.  If you consider us just making the playoffs, one of the  Rangers/Mariners will have at least 4 losses out of their 7 h2h games.  If we precount those 4 losses, our playoff magic number goes to 6.

But as to your last comment, if we win today our playoff magic number would drop to 5 but not to 4.  You're already precounting 4 losses from the Rangers/M's h2h.  If one of them gets to 5 losses or more in those 7 h2h games, then you would start counting those losses but you can't doublecount the first 4 losses that you're already precounting.

Does that make sense or did I miss something?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

The number that is really kind of crazy to me is the 74 runs.  League leader Acuna has 140 right now, so he would most likely be close to having the league lead.  AL leader is Semien with 115, which he would definitely have.  

He would also be leading the AL in hits, close in doubles, top 5 in homers 

How anyone doesn't think he will get to 3000 hits is beyond me.  After this season he would need to average like 158 hits for 6 more seasons.  So what he did in 2022.   When he has played at least 140 games in a season the lowest he has in a hit total is that 158.  Obviously health is going to be the biggest role in it.  Really wish 2020 and the start of this year didn't fuck him out of 200 or so hits.  

Anyway back to division battle/playoff baseball.  

• Hook 'Em 3