2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Or play the legit CF we have.  

If you're referring to Chas, I disagree. He's a lifetime .259 hitter with an ops of .786. Nothing legit about that. And his defense is average at best. Maybe he improves in all those areas, but so far he hasn't shown it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

If you're referring to Chas, I disagree. He's a lifetime .259 hitter with an ops of .786. Nothing legit about that. And his defense is average at best. Maybe he improves in all those areas, but so far he hasn't shown it. 

Go and compare that to the rest of the CFs in the league.  I’ll wait.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

He's in a virtual 3-way tie for best wRC+ among CF this year

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=all&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&pos=cf&sortcol=17&sortdir=default&qual=350

5 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

This take is so dumb. Compare that OPS to other CFs. Look at his wRC+. Look at his defensive metrics, which are above average. Oh, and he’s literally shown improvement every single year.

Basically, every single thing you said is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That’s the danger. It’s the we need to spend vs the guys we have need to preform. Which risk you going with?

I kind of think pretty much everyone has performed mostly like how we should expect them or better with the exception of Tucker.

Peña is just not a good hitter.  Maldonado’s best use case is leaning into a pitch and then being subbed by a pinch runner.  Our bench is Dubon and two minor leaguers.  I agree that a new manager offers a huge opportunity to correct who is getting at bats but this whole season has been a reminder of how thin our team is.  We don’t have shit in the upper minors so we need to spend.  

I wasn’t following the thread when France got inserted but he’s a very good example of someone whose “shit doesn’t work in the playoffs”.  He doesn’t miss bats and his peripherals are all weak compared to pretty much everyone else available.  Just the fact he’s on the NLCS roster is something Luhnow must be smiling about as he sips his mezcal and roots for us to lose.  

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Despite how frustrating this series has been, there's not too much wrong that a locked-in Valdez and Tucker wouldn't have cured. More from them and we'd already be in the WS. That said, even if they're great next season, how do we know they won't spaz out again in October?

You never know. It's baseball.

I thought for sure the Dodgers and Braves would be in the NLCS.

• Hook 'Em 2