2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

three sac flies by one player in one game has happened 11 times?? that's it? wow.

Tbf this rule which was adopted in 1908, was suspended from 1931 to 1954 (except that it was re-instituted for one season in 1939 before being removed gain in 1940).  Ted Williams would have had 14 in 1941 had the rule remained, and he would have hit .419!  Per the Google machine (Wiki).

• Like 1

Shohei and Trout both homered today in a 5-2 win.  That's 31 so far for Shohei.  Shohei's went about 450 feet.

On to take on the sputtering Padres with Shohei pitching Tuesday night. He was named an all-star pitcher today, but I doubt he'll pitch. 

His normal start would be tomorrow, but they are giving his cracked fingernail another day. 

Lol at people around baseball that think Ohtani is gonna break judges AL homer record already. He hit 15 homers in June but had only 8 & 9 the prior 2 months. He’s not going to crack 10 in July. Judge averaged 10 homers a month last year, even counting the last full month of the season when he only hit 3. That’s a fuck of a pace for Ohtani to maintain. 

I say if he doesn’t get hurt he falls just short of 50 homers (48?). And if he keeps pitching like he has that’ll still combine to be arguably the greatest individual season in baseball history. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The league loves Ohtani way more than they love the Yankees, so if he's close to it in September you know the Angels are going to start getting some special Cinderella balls to get his ass to 63+

Any evidence judge ever hit one of those cinderella balls?

The big obvious thing no one has ever explained is why Judge’s HR numbers completely plummeted as he neared the record, coinciding allegedly when the “cinderella” balls were put into use.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

The big obvious thing no one has ever explained is why Judge’s HR numbers completely plummeted as he neared the record, coinciding allegedly when the “cinderella” balls were put into use.

Yeah, the league had do something to counteract Judge's end of season suckitude as he gets into postseason form. 

hey y'all, upthread I wrote that Shohei is pitching tomorrow.  

My mistake, he's going tonight.  I misunderstood the fingernail story.   He should have started yesterday but they pushed it to today. 
I know you know every curve to his cock, but I think you are incorrect. Barria starting. Ohtani tomorrow

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Lol at people around baseball that think Ohtani is gonna break judges AL homer record already. He hit 15 homers in June but had only 8 & 9 the prior 2 months. He’s not going to crack 10 in July. Judge averaged 10 homers a month last year, even counting the last full month of the season when he only hit 3. That’s a fuck of a pace for Ohtani to maintain. 

I say if he doesn’t get hurt he falls just short of 50 homers (48?). And if he keeps pitching like he has that’ll still combine to be arguably the greatest individual season in baseball history. 

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

he went back to his normal pace? 

By the way, I don't expect Shohei to break that particular record.  But, to be fair, in the "prior two months" he was the Angels entire offense.  Check out what Rendon and Trout did in April and May.  Trout was as bad as he's ever been. Rendon was mostly injured, as usual.  Shohei wasn't seeing many pitches to hit.  

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The league loves Ohtani way more than they love the Yankees, so if he's close to it in September you know the Angels are going to start getting some special Cinderella balls to get his ass to 63+

1000% this. He might hit 20 in sept with this juiced up balls 

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He didn’t go back to his normal pace. He fell far, far below it. 

Hmm. 

The googles tell me that Judge has 239 homers and has played in 778 games. 

239/778=.3071.  

Let's call it .31 homers per game.   Do you agree that this is correct?  

The googles also tell me that in September and October of  last season, Judge played in 30 games, and hit 10 homers.  

10/30=.3333

Doesn't look like he "plummeted".  It looks like he was a bit better than he was over his entire career.   

So, you're correct that he didn't go back to his "normal pace".  He was slightly better than his norm. 

If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'll gladly eat shit here.  I'm not a yankees guy nor am I a judge guy.  I just googled some stats and I'm on beer number 4.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Hmm. 

The googles tell me that Judge has 239 homers and has played in 778 games. 

239/778=.3071.  

Let's call it .31 homers per game.   Do you agree that this is correct?  

The googles also tell me that in September and October of  last season, Judge played in 30 games, and hit 10 homers.  

10/30=.3333

Doesn't look like he "plummeted".  It looks like he was a bit better than he was over his entire career.   

So, you're correct that he didn't go back to his "normal pace".  He was slightly better than his norm. 

If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'll gladly eat shit here.  I'm not a yankees guy nor am I a judge guy.  I just googled some stats and I'm on beer number 4.

Specifically the last 10 games or so he was horrible.

13 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

He hit two homers in his last 10 games.  His career norm is to hit 3 in 10 games.  

Horrible.

Hmm. As a close follower of his it felt like he hit 2 in his last 50 games. 

He deserved it over Ohtani last year. Had better offensive numbers, his team made the playoffs (because of him), so he was literally more valuable. You see what the Yankees look like without him now. This year it’s different (provided Ohtani keeps it up). He’s just having too good a year both ways for it to be anyone else. 

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He deserved it over Ohtani last year. Had better offensive numbers, his team made the playoffs (because of him), so he was literally more valuable. You see what the Yankees look like without him now. This year it’s different (provided Ohtani keeps it up). He’s just having too good a year both ways for it to be anyone else. 

Shohei had 160 hits and 95 RBI with 34 HR 

Judge had 177 hits and 131 RBI with 62 HR. 

Of the two of them, Shohei and Judge,  one had 15 wins on the mound with an ERA of .233.  and 219 strikeouts. The other didn't pitch.

The Yankees team ERA for 2022 was 3.30

Gerrit Cole had 13 wins and an ERA of 3.50, and 257 strikeouts.

So Shohei would have been the 2nd best hitter on the Yankees, and would have been the best pitcher, but sure, Judge was MVP.

Edited by Gil Bang

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

By the way.  With the year that Shohei is having (assuming he "keeps it up") does it make a flying fuck whether the angels make the playoffs?   He won 100% of the votes two years back, and they weren't in the playoffs.  Was the vote stolen?  Was it a rigged election?

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

Shohei had 160 hits and 95 RBI with 34 HR 

Judge had 177 hits and 131 RBI with 62 HR. 

Of the two of them, one had 15 wins on the mound with an ERA of .233.  and 219 strikeouts.

The Yankees team ERA for 2022 was 3.30

Gerrit Cole had 13 wins and an ERA of 3.50, and 257 strikeouts.

So Shohei would have been the 2nd best hitter on the Yankees, and would have been the best pitcher, but sure, Judge was MVP.

And if my grandma had wheels she’d have been a bike. You don’t know how good Ohtani would've been on the Yankees. Would he wilt under the pressure to perform? Are his pitching stats as good playing in Yankee stadium? Wipe his cum out of your eyes and try looking at things objectively.

Random but perfect time to ask this now that the teams have exact identical records… I have an avatar bet with one of the astro fucktard idiots and I can’t remember who. I wanna say @TonyTexas or maybe @UTexasFight. Was it which team finishes with the better record or who plays deeper into the postseason?

Bet is looking more like a tallest midget contest instead of the battle for AL supremacy.

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

And if my grandma had wheels she’d have been a bike. You don’t know how good Ohtani would've been on the Yankees. Would he wilt under the pressure to perform? Are his pitching stats as good playing in Yankee stadium? Wipe his cum out of your eyes and try looking at things objectively.

What a fucking stupid post.  

He pitched against the same hitters that Cole pitched against.  He hit against the same pitchers that Judge hit against. 

Nobody with a fucking brain could say that he wouldn't have been the MVP of the Yankees if he played on that team. 2nd best hitter, and arguably best pitcher. 

He was the best player in all of baseball 2 years ago.  He was the best player in all of baseball last year.  He's the best player in all of baseball this year.  

Edited by Gil Bang

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Were Cole's stats better at home than on the road?   Does Cole have some magic buttplug that makes him a better pitcher in the Bronx?  

If Cole's better at home as a Yankee, why would Shohei be worse at home as a Yankee? 

Would Judge hit 62 playing half his games in Anaheim?  

how many would shohei hit over that little-league right field fence in the Bronx?

Edited by Gil Bang

And one last thing: 

If, at the end of last season, Judge and Ohtani had both been free agents, who would get the bigger contract. 

If they were both under similar contracts today, would the NYY trade judge for ohtani (yes, in a fucking NEW YORK MINUTE)

Would angels trade shohei for judge (fuck right off with that dumb shit). 

Edited by Gil Bang